Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Zo posted:

Lol how many of y'all firms have a full blown liquor room for on the job drinking because I'm in the states visiting locals firms now and it's been 2 for 2 so far.

I call it my office :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Two of my partners have liquor cabinets in their offices, does that count?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
There is booze in the conference room, kitchen, and most of the attorney offices. My last firm had a bigger liquor cabinet though (but 5X as many lawyers so...)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
RESUMED TRIAL - PARTY WENT INTO LABOR.7/28 .TRIAL RECESSED

Trial docket notes from a case I quit.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
What's the quickest was to get a job in IT? Asking for a friend......

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

There is booze in the conference room, kitchen, and most of the attorney offices. My last firm had a bigger liquor cabinet though (but 5X as many lawyers so...)

Thought you were solo.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Has this been posted yet? I can't be bothered to go back.

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/doc/2016/2016onca677/2016onca677.html

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Zo posted:

Lol how many of y'all firms have a full blown liquor room for on the job drinking because I'm in the states visiting locals firms now and it's been 2 for 2 so far.

My two biggest clients for my solo practice are a whiskey distillery and a restaurant/bar entrepreneur so I just try to have as many client meetings as possible. Including tonight

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Roger_Mudd posted:

What's the quickest was to get a job in IT? Asking for a friend......

Write a fake resume and apply for government positions.

I wish I were kidding, but I'm not. At least not in my agency.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MoFauxHawk posted:

My two biggest clients for my solo practice are a whiskey distillery and a restaurant/bar entrepreneur so I just try to have as many client meetings as possible. Including tonight

What's your practice now, MoFaux?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 13, 2021

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

:golfclap:

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Along the same lines.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

the Pacific islands are calling your name

Application sent :getin: for Operation Re-goonining.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Vox Nihili posted:

What's your practice now, MoFaux?

I had been working for the federal government (as a contractor) for about a year and building a little solo practice here in DC on the side during that time. I wasn't really happy with the government contracting job, so when I sold ClintonKaine.com a month ago for $15,000, I decided to use this new cushion to go whole hog with my solo practice, and didn't seek a new government contract when my term ended in August.

As far as my practice areas go, I'm willing to do pretty much anything people ask me to do, but I mostly work for startups and local businesses (my ongoing clients include several bars, a distillery, a property management company, and a few small IT companies). I clear and file a lot of trademarks, I draft and review a lot of documents and contracts, and I'm hoping to do more litigation over time. I'm also trying to grow my weed law practice, as weed is becoming more and more legal here in DC. I also do pro bono work here for tenants, sex workers, and low-wage workers.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I'm in the DC area for two weeks now, can i get free booze at your distilleries?

More than anything though I'm looking forward to watching the first debate, in America, with lots of beers. I wonder if there's a good bar for that in Alexandria.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Also no I'm not going to virtue grain feed.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Zo posted:

I'm in the DC area for two weeks now, can i get free booze at your distilleries?

More than anything though I'm looking forward to watching the first debate, in America, with lots of beers. I wonder if there's a good bar for that in Alexandria.

The bars give me free booze sometimes, but not the distillery, unfortunately.

I can't imagine anything less fun and more annoying than watching presidential debates with a bunch of drunk, center-left, semi-nerdy DC yuppies. It'd be like being in a real life Trump meme.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

MoFauxHawk posted:

The bars give me free booze sometimes, but not the distillery, unfortunately.

I can't imagine anything less fun and more annoying than watching presidential debates with a bunch of drunk, center-left, semi-nerdy DC yuppies. It'd be like being in a real life Trump meme.

Yeah, but you know, I'm a foreigner, so it'll be new at least. I might bring a Japanese colleague along and it'll be REALLY new for him.

Edit: i also installed and used uber for the first time today. Whee!

Zo fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 23, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

Prefer two (2) or more years of legal experience.
Competitive Salary
Salary: $30,000.00 /year

It does say 'part time' but I'm betting that just means no benefits, not that the hours are part time :awesome:

The job itself is for collecting from deadbeats who don't pay their nursing home costs *gets out baseball bat to break ankles, realizes person is already in wheel chair w/ oxygen tank*

listen lady pay up or i'll rob your grave

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 23, 2016

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

mastershakeman posted:

It does say 'part time' but I'm betting that just means no benefits, not that the hours are part time :awesome:

The job itself is for collecting from deadbeats who don't pay their nursing home costs *gets out baseball bat to break ankles, realizes person is already in wheel chair w/ oxygen tank*

listen lady pay up or i'll rob your grave

Cmon MSM put a lien on the estate. Only you can ensure they get a true pauper's grave.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Oh hey that's a nice life insurance policy. Would be a shame if anything were to happen to it.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Hey - Texas lawyers - please provide your opinions on the firm BoyarMiller.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

MoFauxHawk posted:

I had been working for the federal government (as a contractor) for about a year and building a little solo practice here in DC on the side during that time. I wasn't really happy with the government contracting job, so when I sold ClintonKaine.com a month ago for $15,000, I decided to use this new cushion to go whole hog with my solo practice, and didn't seek a new government contract when my term ended in August.

As far as my practice areas go, I'm willing to do pretty much anything people ask me to do, but I mostly work for startups and local businesses (my ongoing clients include several bars, a distillery, a property management company, and a few small IT companies). I clear and file a lot of trademarks, I draft and review a lot of documents and contracts, and I'm hoping to do more litigation over time. I'm also trying to grow my weed law practice, as weed is becoming more and more legal here in DC. I also do pro bono work here for tenants, sex workers, and low-wage workers.

LOL did you seriously squat on Clintonkaine.com and then sell it to Trump?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Phil Moscowitz posted:

LOL did you seriously squat on Clintonkaine.com and then sell it to Trump?

You bet! Clinton's digital director didn't want it so I put it up on Flippa and handed it off to a broker. The person he ended up selling it to turned out to be Trump's digital director. Now I'm living very happily on Trump money. The website was only getting about 50 visits a day by the time Trump's campaign got it, after most of the media coverage had died down.

Here's my Morning Edition interview about it. Great start to my legal career here in DC: http://www.npr.org/2016/08/17/490314006/clintonkaine-com-pays-off-for-domain-squatter

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 23, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MoFauxHawk posted:

You bet! Clinton's digital director didn't want it so I put it up on Flippa and handed it off to a broker. The person he ended up selling it to turned out to be Trump's digital director. Now I'm living very happily on Trump money. The website was getting about 50 visits a day by the time Trump's campaign got it.

Here's my Morning Edition interview about it. Great start to my legal career here in DC: http://www.npr.org/2016/08/17/490314006/clintonkaine-com-pays-off-for-domain-squatter

That's awesome

also I'm still chuckling at pro 'bono' services for sex workers

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
What about low-wage sex workers?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

MoFauxHawk posted:

You bet! Clinton's digital director didn't want it so I put it up on Flippa and handed it off to a broker. The person he ended up selling it to turned out to be Trump's digital director. Now I'm living very happily on Trump money. The website was only getting about 50 visits a day by the time Trump's campaign got it, after most of the media coverage had died down.

That's loving hilarious. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

MoFauxHawk posted:

quote:

GREEN: Yeah, athletes and politicians. But the only politicians who are worth anything are the people who are likely to be president or vice president.

GREENE: Don't tell that to members of Congress (laughter). They might think that they're worth something.

GREEN: Generally, politicians are worthless.
noice

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

quote:

That's the author of this story, Jeremy Peter Green - no relation. Green bought the domain clintonkaine.com in 2011 for $8. He's been using this site to showcase his "Harry-Potter"-themed political fan fiction.

God drat, goons.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Wow I remember listening to that interview and thinking what a loving loser that lawyer was.

Then I was mad I didn't have 15k.

So, congratulations?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

God drat, goons.

Article even manages to include literal basement dwelling.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
We are literally a caricature of ourselves.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So I just got an Office Action that has a 101 rejection purportedly under Alice, except the Examiner cites USPTO interim guidance from 2005 and State Street as the rationale for the Alice rejection. Like how the gently caress did the SPE even sign off on something like that.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

gret posted:

So I just got an Office Action that has a 101 rejection purportedly under Alice, except the Examiner cites USPTO interim guidance from 2005 and State Street as the rationale for the Alice rejection. Like how the gently caress did the SPE even sign off on something like that.

It's the quarterly count-stuffing week, in case you forgot.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zo posted:

it's EOY, so worse than just quarterly for people going for bonuses

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Zo posted:

I got a 101 rejection that said, effectively, a bar code or QR code might be software. That's wrong and/or invalid for about a dozen different reasons... but I didn't fight it anyways because printed matter doctrine (and I already had claims for creating the code and the machine that creates the code).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sounds like a non-transitory computer readable medium to me

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

it's EOY, so worse than just quarterly for people going for bonuses

Haha right. Welp I'm gonna have a big pile of poo poo waiting on my desk.

Still enjoying my business vacation though. Saw (or rather heard) Obama's speech on the national mall yesterday. Also saw a lot of mentally ill people peddling conspiracy theories. America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Texas lawyers in the news:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-shoot-active-shooter-strip-mall-houston-42360249