Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, I don't know about that, fan largess is great for preserving old sets and costumes that no one wants anymore, but this would be a major business deal and there are always strings attached on that sort of thing. You can't just have Johny Techbucks give them money and say "make these DVDs please." At least, I don't think he could, not without also acquiring the rights to the property. Now, he could buy the rights, if he had a production/distribution company lined up, and if that company was willing to do the job at cost (presumably because he's paying them, too), and WB might even be willing to sell, but he'd have to be able to pony up millions of dollars in liquid capital. That's a tall order though. No corporate board is going to approve a deal that has no chance of profit and even the super-wealthy rarely have that kind of money to burn.

I was being somewhat facetious as I have zero expectation of it actually occurring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A lot of the models got redone when they did the direct to DVD movies, so the hero ships should be in good shape now.

Scenes that had composite effects were also cropped and zoomed since they weren't going to redo then. So scenes with PPG firefights look gnarly.

Farscape is the one with missing assets, the film doesn't exist anymore. The highest quality copy is the PAL master which actually does look a hell of a lot better on Blu-ray than the old NTSC DVDs.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 23, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Isn't B5's issue technical though? Something about lost or corrupted effects files?

Even with film negatives for the optical effects, TNG still had to redo a fair number of effects shots with CGI replacement, and some of them are incredibly spot-on.

Really the only critical element is the live-action film. Everything else can be re-created; it just costs more. But I'd honestly wonder how much of the original effects assets would be suitable at high-definition anyway.

EDIT: didn't see Bull's post, good to know the models are in good order

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm a little surprised that one of the die-hard B5 fans hasn't recreated the effects, given how little computing power would be necessary.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's not computer power that's the real hurdle, it's that there's a lot of art that goes into creating the assets (models, textures, lighting, backgrounds, etc) and then assembling and animating the whole thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

EDIT: didn't see Bull's post, good to know the models are in good order

The animation is still missing, so they have models with no puppet strings for the old work.

Speaking of JMS, he just revealed last month that for YEARS he was nearly blind and only recently got his sight back due to a new procedure.

http://www.newsarama.com/30468-why-j-michael-straczynski-is-leaving-comic-books-in-his-own-words.html

I know people have been a little down on his projects lately, but I think it's hard to put yourself in those shoes and think about how that kind of stress would affect your output.

Also, this just serves as more confirmation that B5 is cursed.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Because of course he does:

https://twitter.com/io9/status/779331466438307841

"They're called action figures, mom Morn!"

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
A couple of things.

1) Is there an explanation for why Data's been copied? Given Measure of a Man and The Offspring, it seemed like future androids would be at the wishes of Data. Edit: Okay so what? I thought the Star Trek 09 tie-in comic established Data was able to retrieve himself from B4. No explanation for why "his physical form deteriorated and his positronic brain was uploaded into the Enterprise computer"? Was there another comic that I missed?

2) gently caress the artist. Geordi looks terrifying.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 23, 2016

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The most important question: is there a Paper Jam Data?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Thwomp posted:

A couple of things.

1) Is there an explanation for why Data's been copied? Given Measure of a Man and The Offspring, it seemed like future androids would be at the wishes of Data.

2) gently caress the artist. Geordi looks terrifying.

Prepare yourself.

http://imgur.com/W4TspKb.jpg

They're holograms, created by Data in the computer, to represent him doing work. Or something.

Also there is still a crew, but admitting as much wouldn't be clickbait.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Doggles posted:

Because of course he does:

https://twitter.com/io9/status/779331466438307841

"They're called action figures, mom Morn!"

That's a fistfull of Datas!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's not computer power that's the real hurdle, it's that there's a lot of art that goes into creating the assets (models, textures, lighting, backgrounds, etc) and then assembling and animating the whole thing.
Look at what all these Star Trek nerds have done, and Babylon 5 nerds seem to be at least as passionate if not more so!

Sometimes I wonder if those shows would be as well loved, had they been more successful, but that's mostly my damage from having heard ritual talks about how the network screwed Firefly for like three thousand years.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I would give my left nut if my friends would stop talking about Firefly and its cancellation. The truth is it was put down before Whedon could Whedon all over it. (Dollhouse was not so fortunate.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zurui posted:

I'm a little surprised that one of the die-hard B5 fans hasn't recreated the effects, given how little computing power would be necessary.

One of the biggest issues is that any composite shots which blended VFX with the film elements were also only finished at NTSC resolution (which is why the B5 DVDs suddenly look VHS-quality the minute there's any compositing going on).

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Rewatching Message in a Bottle. Neelix mentioned that he was brushing up on American cuisine so he would have "marketable job skills" when the ship gets back to Earth.

No one has told him about how the Federation works, have they?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nessus posted:

Look at what all these Star Trek nerds have done, and Babylon 5 nerds seem to be at least as passionate if not more so!

Passion != skill, or free time, and B5 fans are probably self-aware enough to know the difference. Granted, even now there are still a lot more Trekkies, so the odds of someone taking up a project like that is a lot better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There have been some attempts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5LvOxIuu1c

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

8one6 posted:

Rewatching Message in a Bottle. Neelix mentioned that he was brushing up on American cuisine so he would have "marketable job skills" when the ship gets back to Earth.

No one told the writers how the federatio works either. So sometimes it's full propertyless communism, other times it seems to be some sort of regulated play-capitalism with so much plenty no one cares or even uses money.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

No one told the writers how the federatio works either. So sometimes it's full propertyless communism, other times it seems to be some sort of regulated play-capitalism with so much plenty no one cares or even uses money.

This is no more inconsistent than how the shows handled Federation economics historically.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

That looks pretty good for what I'd want as an update; I don't think I would care to have it stray too far from the original look even if it doesn't look photorealistic per se. Maybe a little improvement in the motions of some of the Starfury vs. Raider shots in season 1, which are a little stilted, is the only thing I would really want any different. Just give me high-res, better-textured, widescreen versions of what's already there.

I don't think it would be that much bigger of a project than the TNG remaster. There are more effects shots per episode, probably, but fewer episodes, and a lot of those are still reused establishing shots anyway. But the prospects are pretty dim after the TNG project didn't rake in the expected money.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Asmodai_00 posted:

Prepare yourself.

http://imgur.com/W4TspKb.jpg

They're holograms, created by Data in the computer, to represent him doing work. Or something.

Also there is still a crew, but admitting as much wouldn't be clickbait.

I'm not sure Data becoming some post-"human" consciousness merged with the Enterprise's main computer is entirely appropriate, given that whole "I wish to be human" phase he had for his entire life.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Tapestry is such a great episode. The plot and theme and insight into Picard's character are all good stuff, but the best part has to be the half of the episode spent with Patrick Stewart and John de Lancie just acting off each other. :allears:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Baronjutter posted:

Most of the stuff that's shown honestly isn't all that inconsistent. People obviously still work (otherwise Starfleet wouldn't exist in the first place), just not for money or basic needs. Not that I really think TNG's writers ever thought about it this deeply, but there are real ethical problems with portraying a post-scarcity society as doing anything less than providing completely for its citizens.

If you want real inconsistency in world building, pretty much all of DS9's later militarization of Starfleet is kind of nonsensical. Basically every main character instantly transforms into a military officer and you've got Starfleet personnel constantly referred to as "soldiers." It makes absolutely no sense for anyone who didn't join up very, very recently.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

8one6 posted:

Neelix may not comprehend how the Federation's system actually works, since he's coming from a lovely area ruled by roving idiot warlords who don't understand basic science and murderous maniacs... so he assumes Earth works like 21st century Earth!

He also might've been making a funnylaff dad joke since I imagine his "actual" job would be some combination of "Talaxian ambassador" and "subject-matter expert on his species in particular and the Delta Quadrant in specific."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nessus posted:

He also might've been making a funnylaff dad joke since I imagine his "actual" job would be some combination of "Talaxian ambassador" and "subject-matter expert on his species in particular and the Delta Quadrant in specific."

Imagine getting picked up by an alien spaceship and being called an expert on humans and your nation.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

WickedHate posted:

Imagine getting picked up by an alien spaceship and being called an expert on humans and your nation.
On the next episode of Discovery, the crew discovers a planet of aliens who have built their society around imitating Donald Trump.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Assuming there are no other options, you would be better suited than anyone else they have available.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Lord Hydronium posted:

On the next episode of Discovery, the crew discovers a planet of aliens who have built their society around imitating Donald Trump.

https://twitter.com/RikerGoogling/status/779052315856674816

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

WickedHate posted:

This was basically how The West approached the rest of the world for centuries (and still does, to an extent). Anyone "native" enough to speak the language and go into the marketplace and conduct business without getting swindled, robbed, or stabbed could be a "guide" and, if they could do all that and had a university education, an "expert." Never mind, that these people had often spent half their lives in the West (or wherever) and often weren't actually from the same country, ethnicity, or religious group as the people they were asked to speak for. This wasn't just a quirk of colonialism either. Both sides of the Cold War would trot out exiles and ex-pats from the other side and eagerly lapped up their "insight" about the evils of communism/capitalism, despite their dubious qualifications (hell, people like Ayn Rand built their careers around this). Even today, if you ever get lost in North Korea, that could be you! The Federation surely sees people like Neelix as opportunities for cultural exchange rather than intelligence sources or useful idiots, but the basic premise is still the same. The man who knows just a little can often seem very wise to someone who knows nothing at all.

worfquoter
Sep 24, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Gau posted:

I would give my left nut if my friends would stop talking about Firefly and its cancellation. The truth is it was put down before Whedon could Whedon all over it. (Dollhouse was not so fortunate.)

If you were any other man I would kill you where you stand.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

worfquoter posted:

If you were any other man I would kill you where you stand.

The truth hurts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

i tried firefly out, it was ok. It was painfully Whedony though. He didn't used to bug me, but once you pick up on his fetishes and over-done style it becomes really grating. It's also stupid to ever not like something because of the fans, but man firefly comes close.

Go protest about space above and beyond if you want to bring back a scify cut down in it's prime.

worfquoter
Sep 24, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Go protest about space above and beyond if you want to bring back a scify cut down in it's prime.

Your problem is, you cannot accept change.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm not sure Data becoming some post-"human" consciousness merged with the Enterprise's main computer is entirely appropriate, given that whole "I wish to be human" phase he had for his entire life.

But the tons of holograms kind of seems to be Data's creepy overcompensation. Like, he's trying to be a dozen humans, doing human tasks, instead of just being a computer. That is very Data, and very weird.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Future Imperfect was on today, and there's just no excuse for Riker's alien captor turning out to be a 20 dollar Halloween costume.

Especially in season 4. I mean what the hell, producers.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gonz posted:

Future Imperfect was on today, and there's just no excuse for Riker's alien captor turning out to be a 20 dollar Halloween costume.

Especially in season 4. I mean what the hell, producers.

Excuse me, but somebody paid $1000 for that costume, thank you very much

http://archive.propworx.com/1008/99

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I really enjoy Firefly. It happened, I liked it, it's over. loving let things die.

If you want a crash course in just how terrible and pretentious Joss Whedon is, listen to the commentary on "Objects in Space." You don't even need to watch the episode with it; he barely talks about the episode. Just close your eyes and listen to him tell a long, winding story about existentialism and how it makes him a genius writer and how amazing Summer Glau's feet are.

I mean, I love some of his work but he is a pretentious creepy weirdo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Pakled posted:

Excuse me, but somebody paid $1000 for that costume, thank you very much

http://archive.propworx.com/1008/99

Oh sweet jesus. :cripes:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I especially love it when his art is borderline surreal and quasi-retro. I love it when his art gets extremely alien and weird.

A lot of his designs have made it into film and TV (Blade Runner, Aliens, Tron, Turn A Gundam, etc.) but his landscapes and architecture are what really grab me in how unusual they are. You didn't see that kind of stuff in film often because during his heyday, you needed to rely on sets and matte paintings.

His drawings are the future I want to live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

WickedHate posted:

It would probably be kinda fun! "Oh you know humans they're like between this tall and this tall. Basic human has a couple of kidneys, some eyeballs, that sort of thing."

Baronjutter posted:

If someone was protesting somewhere that they bring back Space Above and Beyond, I'd stand across the street with a sign that said ABANDON ALL HOPE in crude writing.