Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

goferchan posted:

In the new Dragon Quest Monsters you can ride on any of the 500+ monsters in the game :worship:

Oh my God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish the monster job system in DQVII wasn't hidden behind potentially hours and hours of grinding because it seems really cool and I would love to dedicate a team member to just monster jobs.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Life isn't fair

edit: serioudly this sounds so tight

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let's pray for a fan translation I guess

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I'm being thwarted by the Traveler Tablet dungeons cause they have an invisible level cap beyond which you don't get job rank progress. Anyone find/create a list of level caps for these dungeons?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Actually I think the traveler tablets are the one part of the game that doesn't have a level cap for job progress

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Nah they do, the basic slime dungeon craps out at 20, and at 26 (maybe earlier IDK) the yellow blimp dungeon stopped working.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh well I didn't realize that. Hopefully there's a grinding map or something

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Black Baby Goku posted:

Let's pray for a fan translation I guess

They actually just announced a new version, maybe maybe it'll get a release over here

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

Oh well I didn't realize that. Hopefully there's a grinding map or something

dlc grinding map

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

DLC grinding maps are the scourge of the earth and I look down upon any person that's purchased even a single one.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

There's a metal slime map but that's probably better for grinding xp, plus it's a huge pain in the butt

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Spending 30 minutes teleporting around the map trying to find the excavation site because there's nowhere to look at a world map with location names on it >>>

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I still haven't found it.

e: found it

Mr. Sophistication fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 22, 2016

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I love the way the slimes talk in this game. The slime puns are great, to me

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

goferchan posted:

I wanna play Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 Professional so badly q.q the monsters are my favorite part of the games anyway and I spent so much time with the GBC one. Pretty sure it was the first implementation of stuff like the grottos in IX and and the tablet dungeons or whatever in this remake , too

Idk why they don't translate those games anymore, I feel like they'd clean up over here if they launched them like halfway between Pokémon releases. Maybe they're a little niche but no less so than DQ Builders or something. Apparently the last game didn't do that hot in Japan though and only sold like 600k while the previous Monsters games all broke a million

Nintendo brought over DQM2 after DQ9 and it sold like absolute poo poo
Square doesn't bring over Nintendo DQ anything because they know Nintendo will pay to do it themselves if they wait long enough

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

man, i loved the psx version of this game, but i never ended up finishing it. tempted to just go ahead and buy it although i still haven't beaten zero time dilemma or the new ace attorney

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i'm sad they kept the incredibly lame job exp level cap from DQVI, but it's also not nearly as bad since it takes less fights to level jobs and also the caps are pretty lenient if you're not overleveled as poo poo

way better than DQVI's "i cannot fight anything for like 2 dungeons if I want hero/carver to gain any job exp ever"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Agean90 posted:

The dixieland island is pretty good, It was fun being able to try anr piece together what happened without the game ouright saying it.

the game's absurdly good about this, the islands generally end in a satisfying way but you have to really Hunt For Clues if you want the full story

currently cheesing jobexp in slime island for a few of the basic jobs, it's dishonorable but also gently caress trying to level jester and bard legit

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Yinlock posted:

i'm sad they kept the incredibly lame job exp level cap from DQVI, but it's also not nearly as bad since it takes less fights to level jobs and also the caps are pretty lenient if you're not overleveled as poo poo

way better than DQVI's "i cannot fight anything for like 2 dungeons if I want hero/carver to gain any job exp ever"

The game is pretty easy, so it's a good idea to go easy on grinding anyway. Otherwise you'll just find yourself growing tired of it halfway through.

Five in Russia
Oct 11, 2003

Are those hybrid skills still in the game? I beat the psx version by doing sword dance for the entire game

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I think only Pirate has sword dance now. I'm getting along really well with Thin Air.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thin Air + Monster Masher breath skills is pwning dungeons for me but I'm kinda lacking in single target damage dealers for the bosses which makes them more tense

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Five in Russia posted:

Are those hybrid skills still in the game? I beat the psx version by doing sword dance for the entire game

the skills themselves still exist but have been shifted to normal class skill lists

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

In Training posted:

Thin Air + Monster Masher breath skills is pwning dungeons for me but I'm kinda lacking in single target damage dealers for the bosses which makes them more tense

Knuckle Sandwich + Sap or Helm Splitter does a good job for me.

I'd really like if there was an AI setting to conserve MP by coordinating with other characters, so Maribel doesn't unleash hell on my enemies but maybe casts Boom instead, and then someone else can finish them off with another Boom.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

Knuckle Sandwich + Sap or Helm Splitter does a good job for me.

I'd really like if there was an AI setting to conserve MP by coordinating with other characters, so Maribel doesn't unleash hell on my enemies but maybe casts Boom instead, and then someone else can finish them off with another Boom.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Too lazy and the menu too laggy for me to bother with that.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Crimson Harvest posted:

Too lazy and the menu too laggy for me to bother with that.

????????

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Is it not laggy for you? It feels like a few frames of lag with every single menu input to me. I'm not managing 4 characters with 30 pages of skills with that kind of crappy menu.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
it feels better if i use the dpad

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is it not laggy for you? It feels like a few frames of lag with every single menu input to me. I'm not managing 4 characters with 30 pages of skills with that kind of crappy menu.

theres a little lag but its not enough to make me not want to control my own party members like some kind of hosed up retard. it is annoying though

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

rediscover posted:

theres a little lag but its not enough to make me not want to control my own party members like some kind of hosed up retard. it is annoying though

DQIV remake had it where characters like Torneko would do goofy poo poo that wasn't in the command list if you didn't use follow orders, dunno if there's anything like that in this one.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

rediscover posted:

Not controlling them manually means they dont choose their action until their turn is ready, making mid-round healing a thing. Plus they know all the enemy weaknesses and put up the right buffs/debuffs without me having to waste time guessing.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

P-Mack posted:

DQIV remake had it where characters like Torneko would do goofy poo poo that wasn't in the command list if you didn't use follow orders, dunno if there's anything like that in this one.

the Gaddabout/Dancer class in 6 did this even with Follow Orders on, it made boss fights pretty wild

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gadabout is always dangerous, never know what those hooligans are gonna do

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

In Training posted:

Gadabout is always dangerous, never know what those hooligans are gonna do

Gonna have a good fuckin time is what. I enjoyed them.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I'm on the second island

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

tumor looking batty posted:

I'm on the second island

Almost there

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i lost count of how many islands I e done. probably like 9 or 10 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Get on my level scrubs. Boo yah

• Locked thread