Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Yeah I would prefer to let puppy outside to poo right after she eats - food displaces food etc. Not playing or running around, just a potty break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
How much wet food is equivalent to dry food?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

How much wet food is equivalent to dry food?

Depends entirely on the nutritional content of each. Take a look at calories per 100g, although ideally you also want to make sure that the macro-nutrients are in the right ballpark for your dog.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Depends entirely on the nutritional content of each. Take a look at calories per 100g, although ideally you also want to make sure that the macro-nutrients are in the right ballpark for your dog.

EDIT: Ok thanks.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
So my pup will eat anything. He's eaten and digested two pairs of lady underwear and a sock. I had to "help" him with those which was pretty gross and freaked me out. Not to mention lots of grass and sticks little foamy bits and other odds and ends... his poops sometimes look like little stinky bird nests. Obviously we don't encourage this and we don't keep poo poo on the floor but he's tall enough to grab things out of the clothes hamper and just seems to find stuff. I'm constantly swapping out stuff he shouldn't have for toys that are okay for him to have but he doesn't seem to get the hint. He's 5.5 months old.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Tree Dude posted:

So my pup will eat anything. He's eaten and digested two pairs of lady underwear and a sock. I had to "help" him with those which was pretty gross and freaked me out. Not to mention lots of grass and sticks little foamy bits and other odds and ends... his poops sometimes look like little stinky bird nests. Obviously we don't encourage this and we don't keep poo poo on the floor but he's tall enough to grab things out of the clothes hamper and just seems to find stuff. I'm constantly swapping out stuff he shouldn't have for toys that are okay for him to have but he doesn't seem to get the hint. He's 5.5 months old.

I spent 3,000 dollars on surgery when my puppy couldn't pass a sock he ate.

My advice is to be more carefull.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My best friend just spent a few grand bringing his dog to the emergency vet because his dog had a bowel blockage. It was 3" of sand and some random poo poo.

Hover over your dog until he starts to learn. Reinforce "leave it" on a daily basis. You need to be really firm with it and consistent. It takes practice and time but it's really one of the more important commands.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Probably not a bad idea to look into pet insurance also. People are split on whether or not its worth it, but in your case it looks more likely to happen than not, and as others mentioned, its expensive AF. My shiba chipped a palm sized chunk of bone off a bone she had, and it cost us 1700 to remove and she almost died(and would have had to be put down if we weren't fortunate enough that my now-ex had a credit card with a limit just enough to cover it). Definitely try to make "leave it" bomb proof. Pet plan was my favorite out of all the ones I looked at, and the rescue I got Dorian from recommends http://www.healthypawspetinsurance.com/, and apparently its been the top rated pet insurance plan for 3 years now. For my husky, both places ran about 35 bucks for their default recommended plan.

The people against getting pet insurance say to just put the money you would spend on the insurance into savings for an "oh poo poo" fund, but doing the math on it, from my personal experience with a blockage, a years worth of pet insurance was less than 1/4 what the bill was. If we use daslog's numbers(my dog was pretty small, his dog is larger and thus more in your wheel house most likely), he would have had to put away 250 dollars every month in order to be able to cover it after a year. I checked with those two sites out of curiosity on how much it would cost per month for you and yikes, it's about 2x what it would be for me or daslog(80 on healthy paws and like 150 on PetPlan), but tbh you could probably just list the dog as a mutt or poodle/terrier mix and get a cheaper rate if you felt so inclined, not like they're gonna dna test your dog to prove its lineage, and I've met a lot of giant ~doodles~ that looked wolfhound-y

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 23, 2016

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Puppy needs to be watched like a hawk. Crate when not being watched like a hawk or tethered to a responsible human. More toys and long lasting chews, stuffed kongs, puzzles with treats in them etc to hold attention longer. And I agree it sounds like a GREAT time to buy pet insurance when it sounds like something like this is inevitable.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
All the insurance plans I've looked at are over $70 a month plus an annual deductible plus 10-30% of the cost of whatever care is done. Seems a little expensive... I think because he's a giant breed (Irish Wolfhound). I know any emergency can add up quick though so I'll still consider it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Tree Dude posted:

All the insurance plans I've looked at are over $70 a month plus an annual deductible plus 10-30% of the cost of whatever care is done. Seems a little expensive... I think because he's a giant breed (Irish Wolfhound). I know any emergency can add up quick though so I'll still consider it.

I hear you, but we recently got quoted $2000 for medicine for our Great Dane. Doc decided to try an alternative, cheaper, but not quite as effective drug, which did work. We do have insurance, so didn't care too much, but medication for giant breeds adds up very quickly.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
My dog (Havanese) was an insatiable monster for at least the first year of his life and would eat absolutely everything he could get his paws on. He's settled down somewhat now that he's nearly two but the biggest ways to reduce your stress is keep your floors and tables clean and watch your dog like a hawk whenever they're not crated. It can be exhausting but it'll hopefully become less of a problem as they grow.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Tree Dude posted:

What you need is a promo code! http://www.thebrokedog.com/figo-pet-insurance-partnership/ (This is not my site). Try the discount link here to see if that helps, it only quoted me about $50 a month for each of my older dogs. Yes, a couple hundred dollars is way better than thousands. As a giant breed, maybe he's likely to have old age hip or joint problems? This will only cover those if you get it early. Many thousands of dollars. Just an fyi! But you may be onto something about giant breed being more expensive. It also varies based on the zip code you enter.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 23, 2016

The Range
Sep 20, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 6, 2016

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

I tend to recommend Trupanion for pet health insurance, as I've found them easiest to deal with as a DVM and IMO most likely to cover a high percentage of most claims.

edit: I'm going to sign up with my new puppy (coming a week from Sunday)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Quick question -- my pup was just spayed on Wednesday and everything went fine, but she seems to have developed some razor burn/rash type spots on her chest where the vet shaved her down for surgery. I called them the other day to ask what I should do about it -- because while she can't lick at the spots with the collar on, she can just barely hike her back legs up to scratch at them -- and they recommended a cold compress. Tried that, doesn't seem to be helping alleviate her itching, so I tried a lil bit of aloe on a friend's recommendation for what she uses when her poodle gets clipper burn, but the aloe just seems like it agitates her more than helps.

Any suggestions, at least to get her through the night without digging up her already raw skin until I can take her back to the vet in the morning and see if I can get some ointment or something?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

xeria posted:

Any suggestions, at least to get her through the night without digging up her already raw skin until I can take her back to the vet in the morning and see if I can get some ointment or something?
You can put a t-shirt on her and tie a knot in the back so it's fitted enough that she can't get her foot underneath it.

Sekhmet posted:

I tend to recommend Trupanion for pet health insurance, as I've found them easiest to deal with as a DVM and IMO most likely to cover a high percentage of most claims.

edit: I'm going to sign up with my new puppy (coming a week from Sunday)
Seconding Trupanion. Also I've had several good experiences with Healthy Paws - easy to work with, and they pay a straight high percentage.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

My Dachshund loves bathtime :)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Anyone have any recommendations for durable toys that make grunting sounds? I've found a few that were grunty and they drive my akita crazy, she absolutely loves them, but they were all soft and she killed them pretty quickly. I think her record is around three-four months with one of these pigs.

She has a couple Kong Huggz that squeak nicely and have made it a year and a half so far (albeit a little less squeakily than before) for reference on durability.

Mar 6, 2016
I have not gone through their entire inventory, but they may have something that grunts.
https://www.kongcompany.com/products/for-dogs/plush-toys/

I've always been a fan of giant hedge hogs for my dogs, but, they tend not to tear them up in 3-4 months time.
Does anyone have any tips to help encourage one of my pups to do their business while on a lead? I live right across from a dog park, and I tend to take my pups there in the early mornings before work and afternoons when it's empty/1-2 dogs there and Chloe does everything fine but at night it seems like this big deal to get her to do anything while I have her on her lead.

I've only had her for a month and we've gotten her to pee just fine, but much more than that is a hassle. She also won't do anything if she has jacket* on when it's raining. It's also getting cold and a sweater soon won't cut it when it starts to snow. Would treats in this scenario have any impact of rewarding good behavior or what can I do?

*Before she was adopted, she was shaved at the previous shelter and lived in california. She's in the cold northwest now.

r00kit Cavalry
Sep 25, 2016

by zen death robot

3.141592653 posted:

I have not gone through their entire inventory, but they may have something that grunts.
https://www.kongcompany.com/products/for-dogs/plush-toys/

I've always been a fan of giant hedge hogs for my dogs, but, they tend not to tear them up in 3-4 months time.
Does anyone have any tips to help encourage one of my pups to do their business while on a lead? I live right across from a dog park, and I tend to take my pups there in the early mornings before work and afternoons when it's empty/1-2 dogs there and Chloe does everything fine but at night it seems like this big deal to get her to do anything while I have her on her lead.

I've only had her for a month and we've gotten her to pee just fine, but much more than that is a hassle. She also won't do anything if she has jacket* on when it's raining. It's also getting cold and a sweater soon won't cut it when it starts to snow. Would treats in this scenario have any impact of rewarding good behavior or what can I do?

*Before she was adopted, she was shaved at the previous shelter and lived in california. She's in the cold northwest now.

yakman applewhite y u cheat at tribe d00d?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791272

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
So my dog who for the past 3 months has been fine sleeping in a crate is currently FREAKING out. Shaking the crate and barking. She actually peed in her crate which she's never done before too. I cleaned it up and put her back in and now she's back at it. I took her out maybe an hour before I crated her so I don't think she had to go.

I'm trying not to reward her for making noise but this is starting to worry me. Should I take her to the vet? Or just continue ignoring her?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Looselybased posted:

So my dog who for the past 3 months has been fine sleeping in a crate is currently FREAKING out. Shaking the crate and barking. She actually peed in her crate which she's never done before too. I cleaned it up and put her back in and now she's back at it. I took her out maybe an hour before I crated her so I don't think she had to go.

I'm trying not to reward her for making noise but this is starting to worry me. Should I take her to the vet? Or just continue ignoring her?

Any weird sounds or events that maybe made her scared of the crate? Any sound could scare her and if she was in the crate she could associate the two. Could just be attention, though, you'd have to judge on her body language. Is she still a puppy? They have phases. I wouldn't worry too much unless the peeing in the crate continues longer.

say tan
Sep 25, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

pizzadog posted:

Any weird sounds or events that maybe made her scared of the crate? Any sound could scare her and if she was in the crate she could associate the two. Could just be attention, though, you'd have to judge on her body language. Is she still a puppy? They have phases. I wouldn't worry too much unless the peeing in the crate continues longer.

She's 3 but we just recently adopted her (about 4 months ago). I don't believe there were any weird noises yesterday but I can't be certain. She finally went to sleep around 2 which was a relief. The unholy husky noises she was making before that really broke my heart though.

I guess we'll see how she does tonight.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Snowy posted:

I'm looking for a quiet toy for a one year old energetic dog. I'm in an apartment and her bones and hard balls are very loud on the floor, I'm hoping there's something that could be nicer to the neighbors below. Durability is important, she likes to destroy things like fabric toys.

Reposting this from another thread if anyone's got ideas I'd love to hear em. I'm living with my girlfriend and her crazy big ol puppy. Huge bones sound like she's dropping bricks all the time.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Snowy posted:

Reposting this from another thread if anyone's got ideas I'd love to hear em. I'm living with my girlfriend and her crazy big ol puppy. Huge bones sound like she's dropping bricks all the time.

big rope balls are pretty darn good definitely quieter than the dropping of huge nylabones.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Rope and knot balls are awesome, just make sure they're not eating the string. That could cause major issues. Lots of dogs do it, most of it passes but it can cause bowel and other obstructions which require surgery to remove.

spiderlemur
Nov 6, 2010
My six month old border collie is staying with my parents for a few more days. They have a large yard and live on a low traffic highway. As of today he's been bolting for the road randomly (even while playing fetch or being otherwise "distracted") and they're unable to recall him. This is strange to us since he's listened to our recall while outdoors in their yard before and has been there for days for multiple visits without this issue.

They suspect some sort of animal may have walked through the yard in the night and onto the road and he's picking up the scent. They feel bad about having to either tie him up or keep him indoors when they're outside.

How can they recall him when he gets the sudden urge to bolt for the road for no reason? Furthermore, how can I prevent the same? I feel he wouldn't listen to me in this situation either, since it's unusual behavior from him.

Other issues I'm having (he's a wonderful dog apart from a few):

- Excessive leash pulling, even if I feed him treats by my side and use a harness, he will still try.
- Jumping on strangers. This is partly because some people enjoy being jumped on (having him on their lap) and it's his default to jump on somebody until they instruct him with "down". Strangers shouldn't have to do this ever.

He also tends to pee a little when meeting somebody new, but I suspect this is a puppy thing.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Looselybased posted:

She's 3 but we just recently adopted her (about 4 months ago). I don't believe there were any weird noises yesterday but I can't be certain. She finally went to sleep around 2 which was a relief. The unholy husky noises she was making before that really broke my heart though.

I guess we'll see how she does tonight.

Where are you keeping the crate? Some dogs do better with the crate in the bedroom. You could also try throwing a blanket over it to make it more den life. I would go back to crate training 101, and making the crate a super awesome place for your dog. There's tons of info online on how to do this, but here's a video to get you started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUzF0g0PwY4

Btw, you should clean her bedding/crate flooring with enzyme cleaner since her accident if you haven't already

PS why haven't you posted pictures of this dog yet? :hf: rescue husky haver(mine is also 3)

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Psychobabble! posted:

Where are you keeping the crate? Some dogs do better with the crate in the bedroom. You could also try throwing a blanket over it to make it more den life. I would go back to crate training 101, and making the crate a super awesome place for your dog. There's tons of info online on how to do this, but here's a video to get you started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUzF0g0PwY4

Btw, you should clean her bedding/crate flooring with enzyme cleaner since her accident if you haven't already

PS why haven't you posted pictures of this dog yet? :hf: rescue husky haver(mine is also 3)

She is in the living room - I actually wouldn't mind her being in the bedroom but her crate is so ginormous it wouldn't fit anywhere. Last night my wife and I changed things up a little bit, I took her for a longer walk then usual right before crate time and when she went in we sat outside her crate until she calmed down. No crying last night, let's hope that continues but I think it might be a good idea to re-emphasize how wonderful her crate is with some more training. Can't hurt right? Anyway, here's payment for your advice:

She's a husky mix (husky lab maybe?) so her behavior is hard to predict. Sometimes she's calm when I'd think she should excited and vice versa. I love the little poo poo though.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
That dog is freakin' cute. Not even joking. Basically just posted to say that.

But also that we found having the crate in our bedroom made the night time crating experience with our dog much easier for everyone. I think it was a combination of making the crate the happy-fun-place-of-wildest-dreams-and-peanut-butter-bones and also just having people be there in the same room at night - he doesn't get separation anxiety in general but hates it when he's locked away when there are people home. Now he puts himself to bed at about 9:30pm every night and we don't even bother to close it anymore.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
Bad day. Came across an accident where a van had knocked down a dog, grabbed one of the other two remaining alive dogs (none of the three were wearing collars) and got the nearest person to me to go and catch the other dog. A lovely woman from a local doggy day care place stopped and was going to take all the dogs to the closest vet, but the actual owners turned up, very distraught.

The whole thing just seemed to be an accident - all three dogs without collars, probably just the wind blew their gate open or something and they went 'Freedom!' in that very labrador-esque way.

On the only possible plus side to this other than the surviving dogs getting reunited with their owners, our dog Wraggler, the known dog-hater and generalised annoyance, stayed pretty calm (apart from one moment of 'hey why are you cuddling that other dog', allowed the dog I'd caught to sit with us and be held onto/cuddled whilst we waited for someone to turn up with collars/a way of controlling the other dogs. She even sniffed her/let herself be sniffed without getting arsey. This is major progress and shows us that the open bar method has apparently had an actual, measurable effect on her behaviour.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
^^^Sorry that happened but I'm glad your dog is doing so well!

I also have a progress story. Our Great Dane-Poodle, Noodle, had terrible separation anxiety when we got her in August. She was on Prozac and Xanax and had a thunder shirt on 24-7 at the shelter. She also has dental damage from presumably trying to escape her crate. After a lot of work using Patricia McConnell's book I'll Be Home Soon she is doing really well without meds and without her shirt. Yesterday my husband and I both got ready to go and left the house for ONE WHOLE MINUTE together and she didn't freak out at all. It is such huge progress for her! She is really making strides.

Other than the SA she is a wonderful dog.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Looselybased posted:

She is in the living room - I actually wouldn't mind her being in the bedroom but her crate is so ginormous it wouldn't fit anywhere. Last night my wife and I changed things up a little bit, I took her for a longer walk then usual right before crate time and when she went in we sat outside her crate until she calmed down. No crying last night, let's hope that continues but I think it might be a good idea to re-emphasize how wonderful her crate is with some more training. Can't hurt right? Anyway, here's payment for your advice:

She's a husky mix (husky lab maybe?) so her behavior is hard to predict. Sometimes she's calm when I'd think she should excited and vice versa. I love the little poo poo though.

Oh my god she looks like our dog who died last January :cry:

I think she was a klee kai/pug sort of mix though so she was tiny and had a bit of underbite but otherwise

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Joburg posted:

^^^Sorry that happened but I'm glad your dog is doing so well!

I also have a progress story. Our Great Dane-Poodle, Noodle, had terrible separation anxiety when we got her in August. She was on Prozac and Xanax and had a thunder shirt on 24-7 at the shelter. She also has dental damage from presumably trying to escape her crate. After a lot of work using Patricia McConnell's book I'll Be Home Soon she is doing really well without meds and without her shirt. Yesterday my husband and I both got ready to go and left the house for ONE WHOLE MINUTE together and she didn't freak out at all. It is such huge progress for her! She is really making strides.

Other than the SA she is a wonderful dog.

:neckbeard: yay glad your dog is starting to relax a bit, and good for you guys on reducing its overall anxiety!

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Tamarillo posted:

That dog is freakin' cute. Not even joking. Basically just posted to say that.

But also that we found having the crate in our bedroom made the night time crating experience with our dog much easier for everyone. I think it was a combination of making the crate the happy-fun-place-of-wildest-dreams-and-peanut-butter-bones and also just having people be there in the same room at night - he doesn't get separation anxiety in general but hates it when he's locked away when there are people home. Now he puts himself to bed at about 9:30pm every night and we don't even bother to close it anymore.

Hmm I might get a smaller crate for her to be able to sleep in our room. If it stops her from howling then I'm all for it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My dog chewed and ruined my $300 chippewa leather boots last week. Hes a 1 year old vizsla. The lovely part is he only chewed one so the other is still perfectly fine. I left him for maybe two to three hours in the afternoon while I went to a job interview. I think it threw him off his schedule because we were normally at the dog park at that time. It was possibly some separation anxiety as well. He will often go grab a shoe and curl up with it when we leave him for a few hours. He won't chew on it, just lay with it. It's obviously best to wear him out before we leave but I didn't have much time before my interview.

I was pretty upset to say the least. So much that I had to wait a week to post about it.

We always do a good job of keeping things put away so he doesn't get into anything. It was my mistake that they got left out as I was in a rush ti prepare for a last minute interview. I'm pretty sure he's really into leather goods that smell like my wife or myself because he's eaten a shoe or two of hers before but never anything of mine aside from a baseball hat.

loving dogs. I didn't yell or anything, just tried to stay stern and reinforce no/leave it. He knew what he did was wrong because he wouldn't make eye contact and sulked for a while. When I put the boot out he wouldn't go near it. Then they look up at you with sad eyes like you're just the best goddam thing that ever happened to them and you can't stay mad. Gah.

Verman fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 30, 2016

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

He's a handsome fucker. Be glad he admires you; a certain bastard I had to look after didn't seem to care about people in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Hi I am a dipshit with a new puppy. He likes to bark. My last dog was deaf so I am not used to this.

This is Hachiko. He's an 8 week old Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever, my second of the breed. The crate is a battle of wills so far (I've won but only barely) but he just came home with me yesterday. We will do crate games tonight before we go to sleep and start working on it. But like, barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Only registered members can see post attachments!