Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
The ones I saw don't. They live in this weird world where an explorer would love the extra pay if they were already heading out, but exploration ships either don't have the room to fit cabins, would sacrifice too much or cannot fit the luxury ones.

15 mil to go to Sag A* on a ship that has a base jump range of 20 is off by a factor of 10 IMO.

The brown sea is actually on the side of increasing pay on this for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Chrysophylax posted:

My sperg with the orca is that the Beluga is so much better in pretty much every single way, for not a lot more money

For one the Beluga doesn't need a G5 FSD range mod to be actually usable

True.

That being said, with A-Class thrusters, the Orca is extremely fast.

TorakFade posted:

Thanks for the breakdown!

Orca might not be useless, but sure as hell overpriced unless vip missions pay out hugely...

800k credits to ferry 23 tourists to the next system over.

I don't know if that's a lot. Money stopped being an issue for my over a year ago :smug:

E: 5.6M Cr to take a scientist to VY Canis Majoris

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Orca is not a terribly practical ship, but it's fun to fly, looks dope as hell, and and makes a fasten seatbelt chime when you boost. :3:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That small passenger ship shown in the Gamescom footage isn't confirmed or coming out yet, is it?

Chrysophylax posted:

My point was that rather than thinking that rewards should be like 2.1, and passenger missions be 'brought up' to be comparable in terms of cr/distance or cr/time taken to 2.1 levels, I'd rather other missions were balanced downwards. Hauling biowaste anywhere, over any distance should make minimal profit. :D

...cue someone saying "NO! Elite is already too much of a grind!" - which, to me, misses the point entirely as Elite simulates a 'jobbing space pilot' quite nicely, and jobs are a grind. Even ones involving fantasy spaceships...

...cue someone saying "I'm a father of seven! I don't have time for this! I play games for fun, not as a second job! TO which I say, "Meh! Wrong game! Door thattaway! Sorry!". ;)

I've not been in this thread long enough to figure out if you have brain damage or if the person you quoted from/are impersonating does.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

800k credits to ferry 23 tourists to the next system over.

I don't know if that's a lot. Money stopped being an issue for my over a year ago :smug:

Depending on how rare it is, that's a good chunk of money for a single hop. Better than I can do most days on haulage without abusing Sothis. Though it sounds like truck-trucking has a much lower cost of entry to it.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

orcane posted:

I've not been in this thread long enough to figure out if you have brain damage or if the person you quoted from/are impersonating does.

Passenger missions are fine. It's all the other missions that have spoilt people with too high rewards.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
What are the slots taken up with the passenger cabins? Might have that be the side-job for my DBX...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

The ones I saw don't. They live in this weird world where an explorer would love the extra pay if they were already heading out, but exploration ships either don't have the room to fit cabins, would sacrifice too much or cannot fit the luxury ones.

15 mil to go to Sag A* on a ship that has a base jump range of 20 is off by a factor of 10 IMO.

The brown sea is actually on the side of increasing pay on this for once.

Well, the Anaconda can fit some cabins without sacrificing too much. (Of course, technically the Anaconda is a multirole-ship because Frontier hasn't actually added a larger exploration-ship than the Asp yet. The Anaconda just turned out to have the highest jump range when stripped down. :v: )

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Morter posted:

What are the slots taken up with the passenger cabins? Might have that be the side-job for my DBX...

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Cabins have two sizes 6 and 4.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Libluini posted:

Well, the Anaconda can fit some cabins without sacrificing too much. (Of course, technically the Anaconda is a multirole-ship because Frontier hasn't actually added a larger exploration-ship than the Asp yet. The Anaconda just turned out to have the highest jump range when stripped down. :v: )

Sure. I'm just trying to view this from the average player's perspective. Anyone on an Asp and lower isn't gonna take anyone too far.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

Sure. I'm just trying to view this from the average player's perspective. Anyone on an Asp and lower isn't gonna take anyone too far.

Pythons and Imperial Clippers can be a nice medium-option, but yeah the smaller ships are hosed, basically. Hopefully the Dolphin will have a nice jump range to give a cheaper long-range option.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chrysophylax posted:

I think the mission rewards have generally been tweaked downwards across the board in Beta 2.2. For me personally, this is a good thing. :)

???

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Oops sorry, I confused that for the classes like how SRV bays have G and H. I'm dumb.

Morter fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 23, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I think ill just give up on the FDL as a pve ship. Ive figured out how to stay behind pythons and condas but FAS and clippers are out of the question if i dont want to keep having to fsd to a station to buy more shield cells. I hadnt twigged how much less manouverable tham the vulture it would be. Still not sure how people i see on youtube stay so close to the tails of enemy ships.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

He explained very clearly that ED is a "job simulator" and jobs are boring and so ED should be a boring grind like a job and if you don't like it you should quit.

I am not sure which part you don't understand. Perhaps you think this is a game?

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 23, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I think ill just give up on the FDL as a pve ship. Ive figured out how to stay behind pythons and condas but FAS and clippers are out of the question if i dont want to keep having to fsd to a station to buy more shield cells. I hadnt twigged how much less manouverable tham the vulture it would be. Still not sure how people i see on youtube stay so close to the tails of enemy ships.

Yes if you want to win turning fights there's no beating the vulture unfortunately. The FDL has awesome shields, speed and firepower - that huge hardpoint puts a huge grin on my face, but it certainly isn't a nippy nimble fighter unless you fa off like a pro. It's perfect for jousting but that ain't my style, I like to get close and keep crosshairs glued on my target until it is dead.

I went back to the Vulture for casual res farming, I only have to go back to base if I get really careless and engage a wing on my own or something.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Get dirty drives 5.
Seriously, im not kidding.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Someone once said near the end of engineer beta: Your A-grade pre-engineer ship is roughly an E-grade against Dangerous and higher opponents.
If youre going up against dangerous+ enemies, get engineer upgrades till you puke.
What made me finally get DD5 on my vulture was a loving ASP of all things out-turning me at 4 pips to engine.
Since DD5 im turning vipers and eagles.

FDL isnt a nible interceptor, and it shows when turning them, but everything the same weight class and higher, and even some of the lower ones, should be no problem with DD5 and pip management.

Also FAS and clippers have wizard-engineered fairey drives. Clippers i can understand when taking engineers into account, but FAS agility is just magic bullshit.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Helter Skelter posted:

No, what you buy is what you get, like with SRVs. Each fighter has multiple loadout variants to choose from when purchasing them, however.
Is there a list of fighter loudouts out there somewhere?

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

What made me finally get DD5 on my vulture was a loving ASP of all things out-turning me at 4 pips to engine.

That magical moment when you see an Elite NPC Asp in a CZ, swoop in for what you think is going to be an easy kill, and then find out the hard way he's God's own gift to FA-off maneuvers and railgun marksmanship.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Yolomon Wayne posted:

FAS agility is just magic bullshit.

You're not kidding. But you're wrong if you think it isn't the greatest.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I took a look at the ships supporting the fighter bays.

Does it mean the Federal Gunship now has a use?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The most important question, how are the troop passengers handled? Same bullshit or can you actually do like base assaults /combat zone drops?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Insert name here posted:

Is there a list of fighter loudouts out there somewhere?
There is now.

Each fighter has 5 variants. The Taipan and the Imperial Fighter's loadout variants are identical. Standard "this is beta, stuff might change" disclaimer applies.

Imperial Fighter/Taipan:
1. Aegis F - 2x fixed pulse, 1x point defense
2. Rogue F - 2x fixed plasma repeater, 1x chaff
3. Gelid G - 2x gimballed beam, 1x heat sink
4. Rogue G - 2x gimballed pulse, 1x chaff
5. Gelid F - 2x fixed beam, 1x heat sink

Condor:
1. Gelid F - 2x fixed pulse, 1x heat sink
2. Aegis F - 2x fixed plasma repeater, 1x point defense
3. Gelid G - 2x gimballed beam, 1x heat sink
4. Rogue G - 2x gimballed pulse, 1x chaff
5. Rogue F - 2x fixed multi-cannon, 1x chaff

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Okay, I got my new PC and my HOTAS today. I spent about five hours tooling around in space. Once you're used to the layout, it's nice. I even managed to rig up safety-to-hot switches for both Supercruise and jump FSD functions.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

IAmTheRad posted:

I took a look at the ships supporting the fighter bays.

Does it mean the Federal Gunship now has a use?
Gunship always had a use in being baller as hell loaded out with nothing but multicannons and other such gimmicks :colbert:

Helter Skelter posted:

There is now.
Cheers. Good to see the plasma repeaters from CQC coming in to the full game.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

timn posted:

That magical moment when you see an Elite NPC Asp in a CZ, swoop in for what you think is going to be an easy kill, and then find out the hard way he's God's own gift to FA-off maneuvers and railgun marksmanship.

full rail gun asp npcs are no joke man

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Get dirty drives 5.
Seriously, im not kidding.

I wish I could but until now I only have some rank 1 stuff from the basic engineers , don't have the materials for better stuff nor the patience to unlock more advanced engineers. gently caress firmwares they're impossible to find

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 24, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

How many fighters can each ship support?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Depends on what you mean by "support".

You can currently only equip one hangar module at a time. Hangars can have either one or two slots (two-slot hangars require a size 6 slot at minimum, so the Keelback is stuck with just one). You can currently only deploy one fighter at a time, even though the Cutter and Corvette are supposed to be able to deploy two based on their in-game description.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Tragic

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

quote:

I am pro delay and find the times are at a place I am happy with and would still be happy with a slight tweak either way. There is an issue though when it is 25Mcr to transfer a cutter a distance of only 113LY. It is my belief the prices need alot of adjustment to make it a viable and usable mechanic for QoL, even if it were just used for fleet management

I don't want your hotted up cutter anywhere near where I am working.
Unless you are prepared to spend a whack of dough.

Your asps and cobras - sure drop by, we can even dance if you like.

But not your cutters and 'vettes. You wanna bring them to play in the kiddy pool - you can pay.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Chrysophylax posted:

I don't want your hotted up cutter anywhere near where I am working.
Unless you are prepared to spend a whack of dough.

Your asps and cobras - sure drop by, we can even dance if you like.

But not your cutters and 'vettes. You wanna bring them to play in the kiddy pool - you can pay.

lol is lovely brown sea posting a gimmick or?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
I stared into the abyss for too long

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Chrysophylax posted:

I'm tired of you sothis kids defending this horrible design decision. Extensive travel times are justified by hiring slow, large transports and guards to carry your ship. The inclusion of large fees for this goes against the science and is a slap in the face to everyone who has been dedicated to this game.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

What in the hell are you talking about?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I guess things have been shaping up since I've left the game? I haven't played in months and my CH setup (Though I feel I want to sell it all and get the upcoming Thrustmaster t.16000m FCS since I dread having to pull out my pedals) and EDTracker have been gathering dust. The urge to return has been rising...

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I use a steam controller and its pretty good.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I use a steam controller and its pretty good.

I have very unpopular opinions about the Steam controller when I first got it. Let's just say I'm not quite a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Why do station towers keep calling me fat? I'm not THAT fat.

• Locked thread