Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

God drat. I think he was saying something about speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
That's some Alanis Morissette levels of irony right there

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
none of the poo poo in that song was irony

rain on your wedding day?

good advice you can't take?

alanis morisette was bullshit

but she blew uncle joey in a movie theatre so that's p. cool

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
maybe she was the free ride after he'd already paid

isn't it :ironicat:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
:vince:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

nsaP posted:

none of the poo poo in that song was irony

rain on your wedding day?

good advice you can't take?

alanis morisette was bullshit

but she blew uncle joey in a movie theatre so that's p. cool

I don't want to give her too much credit but wouldn't the whole song not containing a shred of irony be the truly ironic part?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't want to give her too much credit but wouldn't the whole song not containing a shred of irony be the truly ironic part?

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't modern irony (any of you pendants want to get into greek tragedy? I'll loving do it, even if you're Pallas and I'm Ajax I'll fight you on it :agesilaus:) "a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result"*?

The intention of a wedding day is to be bright and cheerful. They're deliberately planned for a day that is not supposed to have rain. Rain showing up on the wedding day would be contrary to the plans and expectations of the bride and groom, hence irony.

Or when you buy a motorcycle to be cool but you're on a BMW R1200RS.

*or is this a modern definition shoehorned in to appease modern Americans because none of us really knows what irony is anymore?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Chichevache posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't modern irony (any of you pendants want to get into greek tragedy? I'll loving do it, even if you're Pallas and I'm Ajax I'll fight you on it :agesilaus:) "a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result"*?

Yes, but nobody expects a sunny wedding day unless they're a) an egotistical rear end in a top hat that thinks the world revolves around them or b) marrying a meteorologist.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Expectation: Pictures in the pictures thread

Reality: Words

Irony? No, just par for the course

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Or when you buy a motorcycle to be cool but you're on a BMW R1200RS.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've always kinda liked the R nineT from pictures on the interwebnets and figured it had to be a pretty long bike, so I kinda wrote it off.

Saw one today in person for the first time and... it's loving TINY. I can't wait until they get bargain cheap, I will buy the gently caress out of one. Like 6-8k cheap. Maybe I should look.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 24, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1TVSTkAXg

the most overdone bit of standup of the 90s, but now I no longer want to instantly punch Ed Byrne in the face through overexposure it's actually pretty good.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
never seen it before; 20 seconds in I wanted to punch him in the face

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

never seen it before; 20 seconds in I wanted to punch him in the face

Well I did say "instantly". I still want to punch him, just not the exact second I see him.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1TVSTkAXg

the most overdone bit of standup of the 90s, but now I no longer want to instantly punch Ed Byrne in the face through overexposure it's actually pretty good.

The irony is this guy complaining about a moaning cow while, ironically, sounding just like one.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Go and get breffus.

Why didn't anyone tell me trail bikes were so good?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

I've always kinda liked the R nineT from pictures on the interwebnets and figured it had to be a pretty long bike, so I kinda wrote it off.

Saw one today in person for the first time and... it's loving TINY. I can't wait until they get bargain cheap, I will buy the gently caress out of one. Like 6-8k cheap. Maybe I should look.

Ohlins shod one is showing up to the trackday I think you will like.

Me I still hate boxer engines.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Ohlins shod one is showing up to the trackday I think you will like.

Aw yissss. I'm only bringing the R6 since I'm paranoid about putting both bikes on this trailer.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Stock suspension sounds pretty mediocre on the R Nine T. Makes for a real expensive bike once you replace it.

Z3n posted:

What's the reasoning there?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Airhead boxers are good. The modern ones are kinda lame.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

dema posted:

What's the reasoning there?

His dentist once started drilling his teeth before the painkillers kicked in.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

dema posted:

Stock suspension sounds pretty mediocre on the R Nine T. Makes for a real expensive bike once you replace it.
This is pretty much the case for every bike ever.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I was really, really underwhelmed by the R Nine T.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I hear people are interested in small motorcycles, so here's a comparison between my old Yamaha and my new Aeon.

I should probably get a better photo to really show off the size difference. Otherwise, there is a person near my work with the same colored Aeon. I just hope he doesn't confuse our bikes, because...

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yikes.

On the other hand, I can't think of a more effective theft prevention measure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao

https://instagram.com/p/BKtickqAWJz/

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Anime bike

Time to paint yours up in a Macross theme now

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Yerok posted:

I was really, really underwhelmed by the R Nine T.
It's just an R1200R with new bodywork, they're pretty bland bikes.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Deeters posted:

Time to paint yours up in a Macross theme now

Being a child of the 80's, I'd want to do the original; but to be on this guy's level I guess it'd have to be whatever the new one is. Unless there's some Macross idol game, then I'd have to do that.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What's the opposite of an anime bike? An Enola Gay paint job?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

What's the opposite of an anime bike? An Enola Gay paint job?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I wouldn't call some dumb cosplay bike like that the opposite of an anime bike. Maybe a dadbike like a bone stock goldwing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

What's the opposite of an anime bike?

Anime is for idiot manbabies so I'm gonna say

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Anime is for idiot manbabies so I'm gonna say

"Designed as a sleek town motorcycle". Funny, to me it looks more like a suppository with wheels and mirrors.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/aprilia/moto-6.5/1995/

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's like a motorcycle with a beer gut. Weird.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's super pretty and I wish more manufacturers would resolve their designs as well as that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

It's super pretty and I wish more manufacturers would resolve their designs as well as that.

Yup. It may not be super sleek and futuristic and poo poo but at least everything is cohesively shaped and laid out instead of just a scattergun of random angular plastic bullshit everywhere like practically every modern 'naked' bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
In that sense at least I can agree it's a great piece of work, even though I find every last specific detail of the design to be :barf: on the level of personal aesthetic preference.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

In that sense at least I can agree it's a great piece of work, even though I find every last specific detail of the design to be :barf: on the level of personal aesthetic preference.

Good. I'm not asking you to like it, I'm asking you to respect it because actual effort was put in and it was designed by one guy with a very particular vision instead of a focus group populated by middle aged men with speed dealer sunglasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BglzNAML78M Bookmark for each newbie rider question