Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

PT6A posted:

Because unless you're paying attention and thinking critically about things, you may not know or you may have been lied to about what HB2 actually does, and why it's bad.

Given how much Republicans have been :qq: muh states rights :qq: ever since the Southern Strategy, the only slightly non-animus justification for HB2 is kinda shot.

iospace posted:

[*]For ideology (Very lib, somewhat lib, mod, someone con, very con) has a weird breakdown. Very Lib has the highest support of HB2 outside of the two con groupings, the highest oppose, and the least not sures at 21/73/6, and somewhat lib is 13/62/24, moderate 17/54/29, and somewhat and very con are 46/33/21 and 69/16/16 respectively.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was the American TERF contingent self-described as "very liberal" for the purposes of polling; in the UK, most of them are in Labour, with about eight or so in the Green Party.

Despite the fact their opinions on anyone who isn't a middle-class cis woman wouldn't be out of place in the Tories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TinTower posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was the American TERF contingent self-described as "very liberal" for the purposes of polling; in the UK, most of them are in Labour, with about eight or so in the Green Party.

Despite the fact their opinions on anyone who isn't a middle-class cis woman wouldn't be out of place in the Tories.

It's this. Extremely liberal women (straight and gay) who reject trans women's identities as being inauthentic. TERFs are honestly even more hateful than garden variety bigots; normal bigotry comes from ignorance and TERFs are generally well educated and extremely active in civil rights activism and absolutely have the resources to know better but choose not to out of some sort of "but they're not exactly like meeeeeeee" reaction.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's a piece here about homophobia and transphobia on the left that also addresses some of what might be going on in the 'very liberal' set too.

The first half of it also works as a good response to that dumbass 'Orthodox Marxist' guy who claimed that gay people are Uranians who use antiretrovirals to spread HIV to Africa to advance Jewish Freemasonry or whatever, that TinTower linked a while back. Not that he deserves a good response.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

There's a piece here about homophobia and transphobia on the left that also addresses some of what might be going on in the 'very liberal' set too.

The first half of it also works as a good response to that dumbass 'Orthodox Marxist' guy who claimed that gay people are Uranians who use antiretrovirals to spread HIV to Africa to advance Jewish Freemasonry or whatever, that TinTower linked a while back. Not that he deserves a good response.

God, don't remind me.

Good article though, thanks for sharing.

I've seen too many leftists online denouncing identity politics as "a distraction from the real issues."

gently caress off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's annoying and I don't really get why people do it.

Marx was right about a lot of things, but while the history of all hitherto existing society may have been the history of (economic) class warfare, nowadays we have some other forms of conflict too that are going to need resolving. You can't shove all that back in the box because it's easier to think about that way.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
NBCNews has polling for LGBT voters overwhelmingly supporting Clinton (72%), but I really want to meet the 20% of those polled saying they're supporting Trump. Outside of Thiel and Milo I can't really think of anybody publicly supporting him in that community.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

NBCNews has polling for LGBT voters overwhelmingly supporting Clinton (72%), but I really want to meet the 20% of those polled saying they're supporting Trump. Outside of Thiel and Milo I can't really think of anybody publicly supporting him in that community.

Were the poll choices only Clinton and Trump? I know some people that have bought into the "where there is smoke there is fire" idea about all the 'scandals', but who are still very anti-trump

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

It's not that surprising. Log Cabin Republicans are a thing, and I've encountered my fare share of rich entitled gay males with a hefty dose of FYGM attitude. You really don't want to meet them. They're quite insufferable. And then with the the Pulse tragedy and ISIS regularly throwing gay people off buildings, some will fall prey to the evil muslims waging war on western culture fear mongering narrative.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cocks Cable posted:

It's not that surprising. Log Cabin Republicans are a thing, and I've encountered my fare share of rich entitled gay males with a hefty dose of FYGM attitude. You really don't want to meet them. They're quite insufferable. And then with the the Pulse tragedy and ISIS regularly throwing gay people off buildings, some will fall prey to the evil muslims waging war on western culture fear mongering narrative.

Milo and Peter Thiel come to mind

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of some old entitled gay males being horrible people, it's Bi Visibility Day today :toot:, so I decided to see what people were saying about that, and the first thing I found was a piece with a link to some biphobic poo poo that happened just over a month ago.

I don't get how you can be a member of standing in a community that was treated horrendously during the Western AIDS epidemic, and turn around and lay those same accusations at the feet of another LGBT subgroup who were also blamed.

(Given his other comments it's probably just called "being a poo poo person" which knows no human boundaries.)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

OwlFancier posted:

It's annoying and I don't really get why people do it.

Marx was right about a lot of things, but while the history of all hitherto existing society may have been the history of (economic) class warfare, nowadays we have some other forms of conflict too that are going to need resolving. You can't shove all that back in the box because it's easier to think about that way.

Even Marxists need an infallible God and Savior to believe in.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 24, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want that I think the efforts to promote intersectionality with LGBT/Feminist issues have far more promise and offer far more solace to the modern economic left than "let's pretend it's 1900 again".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

If you want that I think the efforts to promote intersectionality with LGBT/Feminist issues have far more promise and offer far more solace to the modern economic left than "let's pretend it's 1900 again".

Not really, the "no war but class war" mantra is comforting because it says that their cause is the only one, and not only that, but once their cause is won, all other problems will melt away. It's a proverbial paradise and reaffirms just how important it is in their mind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a bit... weird because chanting that mantra won't do anything to actually build society-wide support for the cause which is sort of what you need.

You want an example of effective modern organizing and unity among people who are absolutely not natural allies, the LGBT community is right at the top of my list for who you look to.

Marxism-as-religion is a bit of a weird one for me as I don't think I know anyone with that specific brand of insular crazy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I've met more than I care to of Marxism as religion. The weirdest was the guy who told me by turning him down I was depriving society or some poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trying desperately to come up with an "own the means of production" chatup line and failing.

E: "Hey my dick is communally owned so long as you know how to work it!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Just clarifying I don't think just everyone who subscribes to communism/Marxism is like that. I consider myself a communist, but there are some who go full crazy and thump Marx's work like an objectivist and rand.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not really, the "no war but class war" mantra is comforting because it says that their cause is the only one, and not only that, but once their cause is won, all other problems will melt away. It's a proverbial paradise and reaffirms just how important it is in their mind.

That's not even what that slogan means and "our cause before yours" is a dumb strawman that has never accurately represented left opposition to identity politics. But of course if that's how the privilege-checkers of the world see things they're welcome to call the FBI as always.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

spotlessd posted:

That's not even what that slogan means and "our cause before yours" is a dumb strawman that has never accurately represented left opposition to identity politics.

Right, the opposition is usually "your cause doesn't matter at all, and is in fact actively harmful".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

drat those privilege checkers. drat them.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm fairly sure "privilege checkers" is just chess.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

computer parts posted:

Right, the opposition is usually "your cause doesn't matter at all, and is in fact actively harmful".

I mean this is a perfectly true fact but you kind of trailed off there. Actively harmful to whom?

Somehow people got the impression that debates around left identity politics are theoretical questions of strategy and priorities. That's bullshit. No one on the left side of that argument had any hope of resisting the self-appointed (brace yourself--they're all rich!) power brokers who put their normative politics in to practice over the objections of their more radical counterparts. It's a done deal. The only question is what happened next and that turns out to be pretty obvious if you're approach to history isn't as fuzzy and sloppy as the person who wrote that article but also just if you have any notion at all of what usually happens when you make a deal with Satan. Access to liberal institutions is great if you're a liberal who still thinks they can just bring in some folding chairs at some future date and get this tide a-risin' but no one who actually needs to see a doctor more than they need to get loving married is really holding their breath.

Honestly its heartwarming to see the Tumblr crowd returning to their old redbaiting schtick in an election season but try to remember whose fault it actually is that we're fighting an incipient fascist insurgency in the first place.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

You're kind of an idiot if you don't see the significant value in social and legal acceptance and how much they intertwine.
When you're dead set on pushing them out you create your own enemy. It requires a special kind of audacity to claim access to a millenia old social institution which ties into so many different aspects of life is just those gays being uppity bourgeis who only care about "liberal institutions" and then say "hey guys remember the REAL enemy is!". It also is seriously misjudging the goal of the lgbt rights movement (hint: it's about way more than getting married).

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 24, 2016

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

spotlessd posted:

That's not even what that slogan means and "our cause before yours" is a dumb strawman that has never accurately represented left opposition to identity politics. But of course if that's how the privilege-checkers of the world see things they're welcome to call the FBI as always.

spotlessd posted:

I mean this is a perfectly true fact but you kind of trailed off there. Actively harmful to whom?

Somehow people got the impression that debates around left identity politics are theoretical questions of strategy and priorities. That's bullshit. No one on the left side of that argument had any hope of resisting the self-appointed (brace yourself--they're all rich!) power brokers who put their normative politics in to practice over the objections of their more radical counterparts. It's a done deal. The only question is what happened next and that turns out to be pretty obvious if you're approach to history isn't as fuzzy and sloppy as the person who wrote that article but also just if you have any notion at all of what usually happens when you make a deal with Satan. Access to liberal institutions is great if you're a liberal who still thinks they can just bring in some folding chairs at some future date and get this tide a-risin' but no one who actually needs to see a doctor more than they need to get loving married is really holding their breath.

Honestly its heartwarming to see the Tumblr crowd returning to their old redbaiting schtick in an election season but try to remember whose fault it actually is that we're fighting an incipient fascist insurgency in the first place.
Lmao, you are literally the very thing you claim to not exist. Your mask slips off so easily.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

spotlessd posted:

Which election season? The one in the USA between Lady Kissinger and Anglo Berlusconi? Because I don't think the Glaswegian queer anarchists raising awareness of the issues in their own movement three years ago were really thinking about that.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

ThaumPenguin posted:

Just letting you know that this didn't go unnoticed ❤

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

:golfclap:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure it's the devious gays who are holding back the revolution, comrade.

I mean it'd be flattering if that were so but it's not really true.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

spotlessd posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rights_and_responsibilities_of_marriages_in_the_United_States

It's Wikipedia but BOOM. All the legal rights you get in the US when you are married. It's all stuff that you don't think matters till you try to start a family. LGBT people fighting for marriage rights is about normalizing LGBT people AND getting the same benefits straight married couples get.

Fake edit: Go gently caress Yourself.

Real edit: http://www.houstonpress.com/news/texas-high-court-judge-wants-to-deny-houston-gay-couples-marriage-benefits-8744089 here is a sneak peek of what the fight for marriage rights is going to look like in the next few years by the way. Courts and judges splitting hairs over a Surpreme Court decision over marriage rights and benefits. This is why this poo poo is important. This is the poo poo that he's people build their lives and form families.

Fake edit: Suck my dick, You Fuckman.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 24, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Family support in general is one topic that a lot of internet leftists have a major blindspot for, probably due to lack of experience.

Like between universal pre-K and free college tuition, take a guess at which one will actually help more poor people.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

I know one. He's from Dallas (:rolleyes: of course), and he is a huge Trump supporter because he is a massive racist who is tired of quote "ignorant African Americans acting up and getting themselves shot by police". Doesn't help that his husband is a cop. Whenever anyone points out how horrible Trump is going to be for gay rights, he answers "I'm not a single-issue voter."

It's loving weird but living in Texas you meet plenty of super-racist gay people who know what it's like to be pre-judged by rear end in a top hat bigots and treated like poo poo for who they are, yet have no introspection and are completely incapable of analogizing the injustice they experience with the injustice other groups experience :shrug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

computer parts posted:

Family support in general is one topic that a lot of internet leftists have a major blindspot for, probably due to lack of experience.

Like between universal pre-K and free college tuition, take a guess at which one will actually help more poor people.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't both help equally? I mean, universal Pre-K (and child care) would help people take advantage of free college. The reason free college gets so much play is millennials are very vocal on social media, and thus it gets echo chambered until it bursts out like a laser.

Of course, that's my opinion, and I'm willing to be proven wrong here.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure it's the devious gays who are holding back the revolution, comrade.

I mean it'd be flattering if that were so but it's not really true.

Yours is a subtle and insidious power.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 24, 2016

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

iospace posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't both help equally? I mean, universal Pre-K (and child care) would help people take advantage of free college. The reason free college gets so much play is millennials are very vocal on social media, and thus it gets echo chambered until it bursts out like a laser.

Pre-K would help poor kids (more numerous than poor teens, I wager), but also their poor parents.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grundulum posted:

Pre-K would help poor kids (more numerous than poor teens, I wager), but also their poor parents.

That is true.

Also, to add on to my prior post as why free college gets promoted over free pre-K is guess who votes, people under 18 or people over? (that's not an endorsement one way or another, just why it's a big campaign issue)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Generally the more foundational a reform the more it can strike at root causes. People who get universal pre-K are more likely to be able to do well in secondary education even lacking reforms in that area (which remain necessary) and then in college. That doesn't lessen the need for reforms downstream but it does ease more pain per unit of reform, if you want to quantify it that way.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

iospace posted:

Pre-K and improved basic education in general would help far more people. Everyone goes to primary school, while even if college was free not everyone has a reason or the opportunity to go to it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

Also, to add on to my prior post as why free college gets promoted over free pre-K is guess who votes, people under 18 or people over? (that's not an endorsement one way or another, just why it's a big campaign issue)
I'd imagine there's more working parents who would benefit from free pre-K in the pool of people who vote though.

Plus even for voters who have trouble caring about people in different circumstances to them, you can use the return on investment argument.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Guavanaut posted:

I'd imagine there's more working parents who would benefit from free pre-K in the pool of people who vote though.

Plus even for voters who have trouble caring about people in different circumstances to them, you can use the return on investment argument.

Oh yeah, I know, but right now millennials are the "Big Prize" according to every pundit who has an opinion on the voting blocs this year. If you can swing them over to your side /and/ get them to vote, you win. The problem is right now they're waffling, because A. Bernie IS THE BEST, and B. neo-nazis "alt-right", so from a political move, promoting college seems to be the answer, but who the gently caress knows right now. Most disadvantaged poor people are usually assumed to be voting D anyway, unless you're white.

e: I do want to make it abundantly clear that I do support universal pre-K, but I'm trying to see it from another perspective, namely that of the campaigns'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

iospace posted:

Oh yeah, I know, but right now millennials are the "Big Prize" according to every pundit who has an opinion on the voting blocs this year. If you can swing them over to your side /and/ get them to vote, you win. The problem is right now they're waffling, because A. Bernie IS THE BEST, and B. neo-nazis "alt-right", so from a political move, promoting college seems to be the answer, but who the gently caress knows right now. Most disadvantaged poor people are usually assumed to be voting D anyway, unless you're white.

e: I do want to make it abundantly clear that I do support universal pre-K, but I'm trying to see it from another perspective, namely that of the campaigns'.

The vast majority of millennials are already out of college. Only the very youngest are still in high school or college. So most millenials don't need to care about free college that much.

If anything the biggest voting group that would like free college would be gen xers and boomers who are just about to or are int he middle of putting their kids through college.

• Locked thread