Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

vOv posted:

I've been following a variation on this essence drain build using Occultist and Discipline/TC. I've got 11k ES with maybe 2ex investment in gear and I feel super tanky, it's great.

I like the look of this, but I have a (probably extremely retarded) question. Why does that tree take the Charisma cluster when it looks like the build doesn't run any auras at all, other than Vaal Discipline? Is it just to boost that one gem?

e: yup, retarded. He's running 3 curses in Heretic's Veil, missed that bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lungboy posted:

I like the look of this, but I have a (probably extremely retarded) question. Why does that tree take the Charisma cluster when it looks like the build doesn't run any auras at all, other than Vaal Discipline? Is it just to boost that one gem?

It reduces the mana-reservation of the curses.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Ultima: How do you go RF without using Rise of the Phoenix? I see you have 81% fire res and ~5.5% life regen, but that's still 12.5% degen unaccounted for.

edit I did read your regen post, I'm just asking for your actual linked character with its current gear.

edit2 Also, you and Rodent both use chance to ignite, but it looks liked the shaper kill just uses conflux? Is it just super awkward timing to conflux or what?

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 23, 2016

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

Ok ok. FINAL REVISION: CI Dagger Deadeye LS

Hopefully the dagger crit+accuracy will let me consistently crit dudes, applying shock as well as elemental overlap, and crafting "Causes Bleed on Hit" on a weapon will let me cause bleed all the time, for even more crit and damage from deadeye ascendency. Anyways. That's the theorycarft. Time to put in ~15 hours to see if this idea can even get off the ground.

I would take Endless Munitions over Fast and Deadly. +200 Accuracy is pretty significant, the extra projectile is gravy, and the increased radius for area skills is nice for any curses you might run. Fast and Deadly is nice but wholly replaceable on the passive tree.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Tykero posted:

I would take Endless Munitions over Fast and Deadly. +200 Accuracy is pretty significant, the extra projectile is gravy, and the increased radius for area skills is nice for any curses you might run. Fast and Deadly is nice but wholly replaceable on the passive tree.

actually I would trade in rupture, bleed doesn't stack and scales of a phys hit, so daggers are pretty bad for that

also get rid of the three ele nodes opposite Assasination (you can get a jewel that is better), and get rid of Essence Surge (this really never works), Arcane Vision is retarded with CI (you trade in always light for variable light, it's a low life node!), and get Harrier, Primal Spirit and Finesse

Goa Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 23, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Rurutia posted:

Ultima: How do you go RF without using Rise of the Phoenix? I see you have 81% fire res and ~5.5% life regen, but that's still 12.5% degen unaccounted for.

edit I did read your regen post, I'm just asking for your actual linked character with its current gear.

edit2 Also, you and Rodent both use chance to ignite, but it looks liked the shaper kill just uses conflux? Is it just super awkward timing to conflux or what?

I don't. If you want to use RF you use RotP. I spent the currency to switch to not using RF on my current character, with a staff + Kaom's. It's alright, but I'm honestly not sure Kaom's makes me that much tankier, or really tankier at all. It's 6000 life + block chance from shield + 15% phys taken as cold vs 8000 life + block chance from staff. I guess I can take like 33% more elemental damage before dying but I can't flask it up really fast anyways. Current character is here:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ultima66/characters

And no, I still haven't fixed my auras/mana reservations and I'm still using the same everything besides chest and weapon. The tree has a bunch moved around for efficiency but it should be obvious where you go for life regen nodes to run RF. Chance to Ignite is really important to farm normal content with, but if you want to change around gear specifically for Shaper then sure you get more damage by just using Conflux. Likewise he uses Conc Effect the whole time while obviously you should use Increased AoE.

E: Yes I realize that Unwavering Stance is loving terrible but at the same time after I put on Kaom's I found I was getting chain stunned to death by every single pack on like 4 different maps I tried to run (no I don't know why) and decided to spend the 2 points to get it.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 23, 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

It's alright, but I'm honestly not sure Kaom's makes me that much tankier, or really tankier at all. It's 6000 life + block chance from shield + 15% phys taken as cold vs 8000 life + block chance from staff. I guess I can take like 33% more elemental damage before dying but I can't flask it up really fast anyways. Current character is here:

I've always claimed that physical damage is by far the most dangerous thing in path of exile, and my view hasnt changed. Pure hp with no mitigation is massively inferiour to high effective hp in my experience.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

The Real Foogla posted:

actually I would trade in rupture, bleed doesn't stack and scales of a phys hit, so daggers are pretty bad for that

also get rid of the three ele nodes opposite Assasination (you can get a jewel that is better), and get rid of Essence Surge (this really never works), Arcane Vision is retarded with CI (you trade in always light for variable light, it's a low life node!), and get Harrier, Primal Spirit and Finesse

Rupture is still 10% proj damage, 90% crit chance and 40% crit multi for two points.
Though, if the goal is to use Lightning Strike with Phys to Lightning (I assume you would use Phys to Lightning) I don't think you can proc the bleed anyways due to doing zero phys damage, so yeah swap it out in that case.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

TheRat posted:

I've always claimed that physical damage is by far the most dangerous thing in path of exile, and my view hasnt changed. Pure hp with no mitigation is massively inferiour to high effective hp in my experience.

until ele nukes hit 40k damage or get over 20% pen pretty much tbh. armor does nothing, hp doesnt scale enough, evasion is a gamble

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

I don't. If you want to use RF you use RotP. I spent the currency to switch to not using RF on my current character, with a staff + Kaom's. It's alright, but I'm honestly not sure Kaom's makes me that much tankier, or really tankier at all. It's 6000 life + block chance from shield + 15% phys taken as cold vs 8000 life + block chance from staff. I guess I can take like 33% more elemental damage before dying but I can't flask it up really fast anyways. Current character is here:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ultima66/characters

And no, I still haven't fixed my auras/mana reservations and I'm still using the same everything besides chest and weapon. The tree has a bunch moved around for efficiency but it should be obvious where you go for life regen nodes to run RF. Chance to Ignite is really important to farm normal content with, but if you want to change around gear specifically for Shaper then sure you get more damage by just using Conflux. Likewise he uses Conc Effect the whole time while obviously you should use Increased AoE.

E: Yes I realize that Unwavering Stance is loving terrible but at the same time after I put on Kaom's I found I was getting chain stunned to death by every single pack on like 4 different maps I tried to run (no I don't know why) and decided to spend the 2 points to get it.

Got it, that makes sense.

What were you using before Kaom's Heart? I was debating between kaom's and belly, but either way I'm probably not going to care about 6L because I'm going with 88% fire res and using a 30% more damage helm with vortex radius. I'm not sure what would let you take 15% phys as cold.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 23, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Rurutia posted:

Got it, that makes sense.

What were you using before Kaom's Heart? I was debating between kaom's and belly, but either way I'm probably not going to care about 6L because I'm going with 88% fire res and using a 30% more damage helm with vortex radius.

A generic 6L rare with Essence crafted 15% phys taken as cold and +77 life, as per context of my post. It didn't have any other good stats on it and I master crafted cold resist to be Ele Weak capped. Getting good resists + life when essence crafting using Essence of Horror is hard so it's easier to cover resists in other places.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

A generic 6L rare with Essence crafted 15% phys taken as cold and +77 life, as per context of my post. It didn't have any other good stats on it and I master crafted cold resist to be Ele Weak capped. Getting good resists + life when essence crafting using Essence of Horror is hard so it's easier to cover resists in other places.

I couldn't figure out what the phys as cold was, only taste of hate was coming to my mind and I totally forgot about the essence. Thanks.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How's the damage of the 6l Realm Ender for vortex? considering either going the kaom+realm ender route or kaom+30% more damage hat and a couple unique sceptres.

I feel like Kaom's chest is probably too good to pass up on any life+fire damage build.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 23, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It's better than you'll get from a CI build unless the CI build is also using a +3 staff, worse than RF. I'm not really sure there's a better way to put it. Initial hit damage goes up to around 18000 with my normal setup and a lvl 19 gem, I believe it's around the same as RF using a mace + shield (keep in mind the Cold to Fire link adds 14% more initial hit damage, and I have more increased damage on the tree in addition to the 3 skill levels). Except RF scales the ignite by another big more multiplier and does a lot of DPS on its own.

FWIW I tried adding Anger since I don't need PoF any more thinking it would help. It does not help, it fucks up EE because it adds fire damage to Orb of Storms. And I was wondering for like 5 minutes why the gently caress I could barely outdamage Wasteland Voll's regen. I don't really know what to reserve now, since I don't have dex for AA. I'll probably just stick with PoF in lieu of anything more useful, though I suppose there could be an argument for going Vitality and stacking some sources of life regen for a Shaper fight.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Looking for a CI build that isn't requiring a certain unique. Never played a CI build ever, usually play marauders and duelist so this would be outside my comfort range.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Looking for a CI build that isn't requiring a certain unique. Never played a CI build ever, usually play marauders and duelist so this would be outside my comfort range.

In my opinion, the easiest CI build for someone who hasnt done it before is some sort of ranged build that doesnt leech. Melee and/or leech forces you to commit. Two fairly popular CI builds this league are CA trickster and SRS necromancer with soulstrike and essence surge.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1695998 - CI Necro Caustic Arrow (I would go trickster myself ( http://poeurl.com/MWr ) but necro works too)
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/RaizQT/characters - (RaizPolisRatQT) CI Necro SRS

(These builds both use eye of chayula + soulstrike, but neither of them are required and both of them are cheap)

TheRat fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 23, 2016

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
well technically the easiest is a CI BV Pathfinder because nothing in the game can stand up to you...

but you do need the unique flasks yeah

trickster CI ED is easy and can do everything, too (you can buy consuming darks for 5c)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The Real Foogla posted:

well technically the easiest is a CI BV Pathfinder because nothing in the game can stand up to you...

Yeah but it requires you to always go aggro or you die. I personally think it's easier to learn CI in the way I described above. Others may not agree vOv

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Agreed. My CI BV Pathfinder felt very crunchy and weak, and that's why I went Flameblast Totems.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Forgetting to vaal red maps is the worst

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

can ignite vortex do the couple ignite immune bosses in the game?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

can ignite vortex do the couple ignite immune bosses in the game?

Probably, but it'll be very slow.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jusupov posted:

Forgetting to vaal red maps is the worst

Yeah I've blown a lot of currency rebuying maps etc because I forgot to Vaal them.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheRat posted:

Probably, but it'll be very slow.

whats ignite imune other than Atziri?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

NecroMonster posted:

Wow, so explosive arrow does utterly poo poo single target damage unless you want to deal with the huge pain in the rear end that is weapon swapping. Good, Great.

I haven't found pressing X once or twice per map to be that big of a deal personally but YMMV I guess

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kild posted:

Status effect immunity is a common enough mod on reds. It was annoying as poo poo on my oroflicker, I would reroll it if I could.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Kild posted:

i think the new phoenix boss is

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

At least one beyond boss is ignite immune.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Haast and Tzteosh are. Non-map Argus too.

vvv Bosses already have 60% effectiveness on curses.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 23, 2016

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

It seems really dumb that curse immune and status immune are a thing. Curse and/or status resistant (only 20-25% effectiveness) seems much more reasonable imo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Firos posted:

It seems really dumb that curse immune and status immune are a thing. Curse and/or status resistant (only 20-25% effectiveness) seems much more reasonable imo.

I'll be more okay with curse immune if they introduce another way to bypass hexproof beyond Cospri's. Which I'm sure they will eventually.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Vasudus posted:

I'll be more okay with curse immune if they introduce another way to bypass hexproof beyond Cospri's. Which I'm sure they will eventually.

and then they'll add even more totem bosses that are simply immune without hexproof

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What if they made curses resist-style with most mobs being 0% and some bosses being 100% and a very few items giving you curse-resist-penetration

On the one hand that's a big change, on the other hand it's probably saner overall than a hex/not hexed binary. i mean really it's just an extension of the curse resist system they introduced recently.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

GGG have said many times they feel curses are too powerful, so I wouldnt expect much of a buff if I were you.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Maddot_66/characters

Looking for Goon advice on my league guy. Want to stick with EQ champion, but I'm having trouble getting the most out of it.

I normally run HoA and Hatred, but I'd like to avoid doing ele damage this time so I can run ele reflect maps. Open to suggestions on other curse/defense aura/other set ups.

To cover obvious things...
I need to replace hat, and rings, and gem set up on gloves is really a placeholder. haven't found anything good yet as I just started mapping
I need more life (obviously) been filling in trees as I get spare points

Any suggestions wold be awesome.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
With elementalist life vortex, the only way to go forward I see is either kaom+realm ender, or kaom+30% more damage hat for vortex and phoenix shield to get righteous fire alongside it.

How is the realm ender woking out for your build ultima?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

TheRat posted:

GGG have said many times they feel curses are too powerful, so I wouldnt expect much of a buff if I were you.

Make it 10%, or 5% then. Resistance is better than outright immunity.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
(((Abduller)))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

With elementalist life vortex, the only way to go forward I see is either kaom+realm ender, or kaom+30% more damage hat for vortex and phoenix shield to get righteous fire alongside it.

How is the realm ender woking out for your build ultima?

You should also at least consider Searing Touch

• Locked thread