Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
When am I getting my mod invite??? I feel like everyone should get a turn, like old timey Greek democracy.

Also, do you have dental coverage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is Dare registering all these accounts under real or fake credit cards? Should we be thanking him for keeping SA afloat?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I don't know of all the instances that it has happened, or exactly what any of it has been about, but I know that a bunch of mods have been "doxxed" or otherwise harassed by creepy idiot people. I'm guessing that most mods & admins are people who were fairly heavily involved in the site before they became mods & admins, and probably knew about, at least, Something Sensitive, and about various stories of goons going way beyond the line, being super creepy about the personal lives of both mods & admins, other users, and targets of various mock threads.

What I'm wondering is, whether the possibility of doxxing, or other forms of stalking and harassment, is something that entered your decision-making process when you got asked to be a mod or admin?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Grandmother of Five posted:

I don't know of all the instances that it has happened, or exactly what any of it has been about, but I know that a bunch of mods have been "doxxed" or otherwise harassed by creepy idiot people. I'm guessing that most mods & admins are people who were fairly heavily involved in the site before they became mods & admins, and probably knew about, at least, Something Sensitive, and about various stories of goons going way beyond the line, being super creepy about the personal lives of both mods & admins, other users, and targets of various mock threads.

What I'm wondering is, whether the possibility of doxxing, or other forms of stalking and harassment, is something that entered your decision-making process when you got asked to be a mod or admin?
I don't think most of the mods do when they agree to become a mod. We have a pretty standard best-practices approach to making sure SA accounts aren't linkable to real-world stuff as much as possible.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vegetable posted:

Is Dare registering all these accounts under real or fake credit cards? Should we be thanking him for keeping SA afloat?
He's done some credit card fraud stuff before but IDK the current situation.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

We have a pretty standard best-practices approach to making sure SA accounts aren't linkable to real-world stuff as much as possible.
criminal records, for example. hahaha :mrgw:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I quit being a mod when Abe got doxxed. Regardless of the merits of the situation, I felt he got hung out to dry even if there wasn't much the admins really could do. I had just started a business myself and was worried about people calling my customers, other business associates, or school and claim I worked on a pro-pedo website like they did with him.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

My thought process was basically "this forum I like to read needs a janitor and I'm willing to do it. But is it worth having my life and career destroyed if a nutcase on the Internet doesn't like the way I mop the floor?" And then for some reason I decided "yes" and here we are. But yeah, it was a huge part of my decision-making process. I also joined the mod team at a really doxxy time.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

defectivemonkey posted:

My thought process was basically "this forum I like to read needs a janitor and I'm willing to do it. But is it worth having my life and career destroyed if a nutcase on the Internet doesn't like the way I mop the floor?" And then for some reason I decided "yes" and here we are. But yeah, it was a huge part of my decision-making process. I also joined the mod team at a really doxxy time.

:same:

e: That said I think that FAU is right in that it's not as big of a concern anymore. There seem to be three generations of active mod at the moment -- the ones that have been around forever, the ones that joined while mod-doxxing was pretty rampant and a serious concern, and the ones that joined afterwards. I don't think the new folks really take doxxing into consideration anymore, but there are plenty of mods for whom that was a serious consideration.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 24, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Is there a hazing ritual when you become mod? If so, does it involve a pig.

Who is the currently active mod all the other mods are scared of and think is real spooky?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PBS Newshour posted:

Who is the currently active mod all the other mods are scared of and think is real spooky?

Fatherdog could almost certainly beat up every single other mod without too much issue.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Are there any posters whose posts generate tons of reports but who is never or rarely banned/probated.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

PBS Newshour posted:

yes and yes

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer

Go ahead, you know you want to show the pig...

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Moderators and admins:

Besides yourself, who is your favorite moderator and why

Also, who is your favorite admin and why

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

Moderators and admins:

Obviously it's biased based on who I interact with, but FluffieDuckie has done an amazing job turning BYOB around, and she's handled CCCC and the influx of new BYOB posters well. All the mods of the Games subforums are also very good right now, and I'm really happy with our newest addition there, Palpek. But right now there's not a single moderator on the forums I think is doing a bad job, and that's fantastic, because in the past we've had some pretty noticeable problem mods. I work more closely with ZDR than any of the other admins.

I also think that Ralp, and a lot of the mods who were in place from 2013-2015 or so, deserve a lot of credit. Ralp, Kewpuh, blunt for century, I know there are tons of others I'm forgetting. SA in 2013 was in a really bad place, moderation-wise. A bunch of admins left because of the Aatrek thing, and SA had just gotten rid or was about to get rid of some terrible mods like BroJo or Senior Woodchuck. Then new GBS happened in November 2013. Ralp and a lot of the mods during that period did a good job of transitioning the forums to what I think is now the best mod team we've ever had. That isn't to say we never had good mods before, and the other 13 years of mods should also get their due. We had a number of very good mods and admins, and the problem mods were the exception, not the rule. They just tended to be really high-profile, because a bad mod can cause a lot of problem. SA has historically still had better moderators than anywhere else on the internet.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
What is the point of FYAD and BYOB? What is the difference?

Did E/N disappear along with GBS?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pillowpants posted:

What is the point of FYAD and BYOB? What is the difference?

Did E/N disappear along with GBS?
FYAD is the non-NWS forum for gross pics and flame wars.

BYOB is the chill forum for making joke threads like "ITT we're the president of Honduras at a baby shower."

E/N was made a BYOB sub.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
thanks to everyone who replied, by the way!

i'm not exactly sure when or why it happened, but i think you're right that at some point a change happened with doxxing and stalking stuff. It used to be super common in all sorts of threads, i feel, with ask/tell & e/n having a lot of it at a point, with people trying to figure out if stories were true or not. Sooner or later some goon would triumphantly pipe out that they found out a bunch of irl info on an OP, trying to prove their stories true or false.

It's a good change, and I don't notice it happening much any longer, but i hope that it's something you mods keep an eye on, because goons who "happen" to find weird off-site stuff on each other and reverse image search pictures are just creepy.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

FYAD is the non-NWS forum for gross pics and flame wars.

BYOB is the chill forum for making joke threads like "ITT we're the president of Honduras at a baby shower."

E/N was made a BYOB sub.

If Google adsense gets mad at nws images then why is nws stuff allowed in it?

The guy with the blue dinosaur eating two dicks was too much but others isn't?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

thecluckmeme posted:

Moderators and admins:

this guy

he's a dope co-mod/friend :respek:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

stringball posted:

I think it's because ads aren't served in FYAD, but I'm not positive. It does have something to do with how the forums are set up, but Lowtax would have to explain the details.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

stringball posted:

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it's because ads aren't served in FYAD, but I'm not positive. It does have something to do with how the forums are set up, but Lowtax would have to explain the details.

The ads aren't served in FYAD or BYOB, and the dick eating dinosaur made Google mad in Imp Zone iirc. And the word filters for swearwords for the unlogged exist for the same reason.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm curious, when you goldmine/gas a thread does the OP get credit/blame or do you specify someone in case it became something great/terrible partway through? I know the rules say a gas auto-probates the OP, but there are situations where that doesn't make sense.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

Moderators and admins:

FactsAreUseless. :swoon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FAU why did Lowtax steal your title/av

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The creatures outside looked from FaU to Lowtax and from Lowtax to FaU and from FaU to Lowtax again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

FAU why did Lowtax steal your title/av
This is an announcements problem that has existed as long announcements have. In short: Radium is a very good programmer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm curious, when you goldmine/gas a thread does the OP get credit/blame or do you specify someone in case it became something great/terrible partway through? I know the rules say a gas auto-probates the OP, but there are situations where that doesn't make sense.

Gassing a thread probates the OP for only 15 minutes. If there are any other punishments to hand out, the mod has to do those before gsssing otherwise they can't do anything about it since they're not mods of the gas chamber.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

Gassing a thread probates the OP for only 15 minutes. If there are any other punishments to hand out, the mod has to do those before gsssing otherwise they can't do anything about it since they're not mods of the gas chamber.

Iirc. you can still reply if you have the gassed thread probation, but not make new threads.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 26, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know Gas Chamber had mods.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Skoll posted:

It doesn't necessarily have to for mods of other forums to not be one. :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skoll posted:

Wasn't someone made Gas Chamber mod at least once? Fishmech, maybe?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

prefect posted:

Ralp

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

prefect posted:

I want to say the Fishmech thing was they made it so all his posts went right to the Gas Chamber.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

muscles like this? posted:

I want to say the Fishmech thing was they made it so all his posts went right to the Gas Chamber.
Wasn't that about the same time that some other user's posts (I don't remember who) were all replaced with windows displaying the Gas Chamber, and another's posts were set up so that anybody could edit them (so the other two ended up trying to edit them in order to get around their Gas Chamber posting)? Those were fun times on the forums, I kinda miss those creative types of punishments, though I understand it's probably a pain to implement.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

Are there any posters whose posts generate tons of reports but who is never or rarely banned/probated.
IYG had (has?) a dude who pretty much generated all of the reports in there, usually one or two a week, and never ever posts. It's weird to me that someone takes so much issue with others' posts but never posts themselves.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think the intended question was about someone who gets reported unjustly a lot.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AlphaKretin posted:

I think the intended question was about someone who gets reported unjustly a lot.
That makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

IYG had (has?) a dude who pretty much generated all of the reports in there, usually one or two a week, and never ever posts. It's weird to me that someone takes so much issue with others' posts but never posts themselves.

There are many people like that. They read GBS religiously, but only posted in QCS, never in GBS.

• Locked thread