Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
lol this is the most excitement there's been over VR in months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
And it's all over a guy who barely has anything to do with VR anymore.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Even if he has no actual power in the FB organization, he's still the unfortunate public face of VR to a large degree.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Even if he has no actual power in the FB organization, he's still the unfortunate public face of VR to a large degree.

I was actually on the cover of Time myself once, back in 2004 or 2006, who can remember.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Here's Palmer Luckey being interviewed after attending a Trump rally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJLQMbYrAkc&t=110s

Jutsuka fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 24, 2016

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Are the Vive wands or Touch controllers tracked well enough to act as joystick inputs if you attach them to the end of a stick that has the other end anchored like a joystick? The base would have to be mounted in place so it can't move so the zero point would be accurate, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

TomR posted:

Are the Vive wands or Touch controllers tracked well enough to act as joystick inputs if you attach them to the end of a stick that has the other end anchored like a joystick? The base would have to be mounted in place so it can't move so the zero point would be accurate, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

I don't see why they wouldn't be. You could probably even use them as free six axis controllers by setting a reference point when you pull the trigger, and measuring how much you've moved it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

TomR posted:

Probably. I can see that being a huge pain to calibrate, though.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I've been avoiding the Dolphin VR (Nintendo Gamecube VR emulator) since I found out the dev was a racist since way before this election got started back in DK2 days.

Thought that was widely known, but in case anyone wants to add more devs to their big whiteboard of Politically Active ones, check his recent comments, he's going full on Praise Palmer https://www.reddit.com/user/2EyeGuy

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Zsinjeh posted:

I've been avoiding the Dolphin VR (Nintendo Gamecube VR emulator) since I found out the dev was a racist since way before this election got started back in DK2 days.

Thought that was widely known, but in case anyone wants to add more devs to their big whiteboard of Politically Active ones, check his recent comments, he's going full on Praise Palmer https://www.reddit.com/user/2EyeGuy

lmao, guy literally thinks the world will end if the cheeto fascist loses the election

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Tech people are so loving stupid

At least people in manufacturing were smart enough to start unions and actually cared about other people in their community.

the share economy needs to be burned to the ground

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TomR posted:

The tracking should be fine, although if you are going to the effort of building a physical mechanism to hold them you may as well just use an actual joystick.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

The tracking should be fine, although if you are going to the effort of building a physical mechanism to hold them you may as well just use an actual joystick.

With the motion controller you'd get positional tracking for free tho. A joystick driver that also renders an overlay stick would be dope.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zsinjeh posted:

There's no issue with them being racists so long as they aren't using company funds for their racism. If that was the case, then nobody should buy Rimworld. Plus, Dolphin VR is free, so why wouldn't you use it?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zsinjeh posted:

i wish the SA wordfilters were applied to the entire web, by magic

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

There's no issue with them being racists

:stare: What the gently caress happened?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

KakerMix posted:

Palmer can have his opinions and people can have their opinions of Palmer this isn't hard to understand. If a developer doesn't want to support Oculus because Palmer still works there as a figurehead-ish type person founder guy because of Palmer's opinions and actions that is totally within their right to do that. Why does Palmer get to have his opinions but other people don't get to have their opinions about Palmer? Why does one get you upset? They are the same thing.

It's not a matter of them being any less entitled to their opinion than anyone else. It's that some of us find it kind of dumb to go about boycotting a big part of a fledgling industry in a manner highly unlikely to have any effect on the guilty party.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TomR posted:

This would actually be pretty easy to do. If you could mount the controller stably to a stick, you just need to grab the rotational information from the controller. Though you would have to go through the effort of building a base plate, attaching a rod and either a ball joint or a gimbal plus a spring. then figure a way to attach the controller to the stick. In the end, it might just be easier to just buy a joystick. I've though about making a simple HOTAS setup by just putting one vive wand vertically on my leg and tilting it back and forth and then holding the other controller on my other leg sideways and then moving it back and forth as a throttle.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Get velcro bands!

Cockmaster posted:

It's not a matter of them being any less entitled to their opinion than anyone else. It's that some of us find it kind of dumb to go about boycotting a big part of a fledgling industry in a manner highly unlikely to have any effect on the guilty party.

Yeah I thought that'd be just a neogaf thing, where many boycot everything Dragon Quest for example, because the old man in charge has his own unique thoughts about Japan's WW2 warcrimes.

If Palmer was bringing his personal life and politics into everything he touched a boycot would be natural and the sensible thing to do. If people feel like this about what little he's actually done with the deal (media likes to pour a bucket of paint when it's just a single brush-stroke at most) they should look more closely at their tech & media darlings who never speak of their political thoughts.

VR doesn't need this madness, but it didn't need exclusivity deals (of the bad kinds) either.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 24, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

:stare: What the gently caress happened?

People can hold any opinion they have so long as they don't force them upon others. There's nothing in DolphinVR that discriminates upon ethnicity, gender or religion. Let the dev have whatever views they have, no matter how close-minded they may be.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hahaha. Oculus: Hardware DRM, Facebook, and white supremacy. They are trying as hard as they can to make VR suck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Hahaha. Oculus: Hardware DRM, Facebook, and white supremacy. They are trying as hard as they can to make VR suck.

Does Facebook run Oculus and steal everyone's identities or does Palmer run Oculus and only hires white people? It's hard to tell which shitpost is correct from week to week.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

People can hold any opinion they have so long as they don't force them upon others. There's nothing in DolphinVR that discriminates upon ethnicity, gender or religion. Let the dev have whatever views they have, no matter how close-minded they may be.

He has a right to his lovely opinions, and I have the right to not want anything to do with him as a result, however tangential the association.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Does Facebook run Oculus and steal everyone's identities or does Palmer run Oculus and only hires white people? It's hard to tell which shitpost is correct from week to week.
Its okay to not have your mouth firmly affixed to Oculus' butt hole for this one, friend. You don't have to defend the barefooted nazi man.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also if he had just dumped money into trump's campaign I'd be less mad than him supporting some dumb dank meme factory creating and distributing racist alt-right propaganda.

Also don't loving lie about it in your statement. loving own it

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Facebook has a history of abusing the power they have, and Palmer is a white supremacist. HTH

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Helter Skelter posted:

He has a right to his lovely opinions, and I have the right to not want anything to do with him as a result, however tangential the association.

I guess, does seem silly to me to not use a decent program. Dolphin VR is great for many games, such as Metroid Prime 3, House of the Dead and Mario Kart, and since it's a totally free program it's a no-brainer to me that you should chuck in the CDs and emulate from disc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Its okay to not have your mouth firmly affixed to Oculus' butt hole for this one, friend. You don't have to defend the barefooted nazi man.

I'm not defending anything. I'm just trying to figure out what we need to attack here. Before Facebook was evil because they bought Oculus away from Palmer and they ruined it by being facebook. But now it seems like Palmer runs Oculus again and forces every employee to kiss pictures of Hitler? It's hard to keep up.

Anyway, my condolences to the goons who didn't get their 15 seconds of fame when they publicly disavowed Oculus on twitter. You didn't make it into the RoadToVR article.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

I'm pretty sure they know it doesn't have an effect on palmer's bottom line, in fact it negatively affects their bottom line, and they're doing it anyway because it's a way they feel they can draw attention to and distance themselves from palmer's action. it's a way of saying "hey this guy doesn't speak for everyone involved in VR" and I think it's cool and good

e:

Cojawfee posted:

Anyway, my condolences to the goons who didn't get their 15 seconds of fame when they publicly disavowed Oculus on twitter. You didn't make it into the RoadToVR article.

you kinda seem like a bitter rear end in a top hat tbh

d0s fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 24, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dexo posted:

Also if he had just dumped money into trump's campaign I'd be less mad than him supporting some dumb dank meme factory creating and distributing racist alt-right propaganda.

I mean, is there even a difference at this point? poo poo's just hosed lol

I guess, does seem silly to me to not use a decent program

I avoid using a ton of poo poo, because I don't support facebook/google/microsoft practices. And when I have no choice in using their services, I make it impossible for them to make any use of my data. Their services are really cool too, and I want to use them (same with oculus), but I can't.

I don't see how cost has anything to do with, though, most all of the services these guys offer are free.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not defending anything. I'm just trying to figure out what we need to attack here. Before Facebook was evil because they bought Oculus away from Palmer and they ruined it by being facebook. But now it seems like Palmer runs Oculus again and forces every employee to kiss pictures of Hitler? It's hard to keep up.

It's both, stop being obtuse

d0s posted:

I'm pretty sure they know it doesn't have an effect on palmer's bottom line, in fact it negatively affects their bottom line, and they're doing it anyway because it's a way they feel they can draw attention to and distance themselves from palmer's action. it's a way of saying "hey this guy doesn't speak for everyone involved in VR" and I think it's cool and good

:same:

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 24, 2016

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Oh look at the cop at 4:26, he is wearing a yellow sheriff star, just like in that anti-Clinton ad!

Edit: Whoops, wandered out of the thread I was just in.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 24, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Truga posted:

I avoid using a ton of poo poo, because I don't support facebook/google/microsoft practices. And when I have no choice in using their services, I make it impossible for them to make any use of my data. Their services are really cool too, and I want to use them (same with oculus), but I can't.

I don't see how cost has anything to do with, though, most all of the services these guys offer are free.
The difference as I see it is Facebook/Google/etc are materially benefited by you using their services, the shithead that develops DolphinVR doesn't get anything from me except making his download counter go up one. If I had to pay him for it, or it had advertisements, or it secretly mined bitcoins in the background I'd feel differently. Its good software, but of course if it makes you uncomfortable I'm not gonna try to convince you otherwise.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

d0s posted:

e:

you kinda seem like a bitter rear end in a top hat tbh

And you seem like an overly sensitive tryhard who likes to feign outrage by making GBS threads up threads with the dumbest poo poo.

Here's the news story:

Homeschooled millionaire who used to own a VR company is probably racist. The only VR related thing I ever see from him is that he sometimes retweets Oculus and other people who work there. He's a giant shitlord sure, but it's been clear for months that he doesn't hold any sway over Oculus anymore. Punishing a whole company because the guy they let keep the token title of "founder" is a racist is stupid. The Chick Fil A thing was stupid. Any boycott ever is stupid. If you want to only use products that are made by people that don't have terrible opinions, good luck. Hopefully the freeway overpass you would end up living under wasn't built by a guy who hates gays.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its okay Cojawfee, Palmer Luckey is going to Make VR Great Again

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
test on whether palmer is bad and whether you are lying to yourself: would you want your employer to know you secretly funded pictures of nazi frogs saying racist things in support of a candidate who called mexicans rapists

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

And you seem like an overly sensitive tryhard who likes to feign outrage by making GBS threads up threads with the dumbest poo poo.

Here's the news story:

Homeschooled millionaire who used to own a VR company is probably racist. The only VR related thing I ever see from him is that he sometimes retweets Oculus and other people who work there. He's a giant shitlord sure, but it's been clear for months that he doesn't hold any sway over Oculus anymore. Punishing a whole company because the guy they let keep the token title of "founder" is a racist is stupid. The Chick Fil A thing was stupid. Any boycott ever is stupid. If you want to only use products that are made by people that don't have terrible opinions, good luck. Hopefully the freeway overpass you would end up living under wasn't built by a guy who hates gays.

deep.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Its okay Cojawfee, Palmer Luckey is going to Make VR Great Again

How would he do that? He is a racist manchild and doesn't have any control over VR.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

How would he do that? He is a racist manchild and doesn't have any control over VR.

trump is also a racist manchild without any control over VR and he is going to make america great again, dont act like palmer cant make vr great again

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

The difference as I see it is Facebook/Google/etc are materially benefited by you using their services, the shithead that develops DolphinVR doesn't get anything from me except making his download counter go up one. If I had to pay him for it, or it had advertisements, or it secretly mined bitcoins in the background I'd feel differently. Its good software, but of course if it makes you uncomfortable I'm not gonna try to convince you otherwise.

Yeah, that's sounds reasonable enough. To make it clear, I don't mind people using whatever, I just don't feel comfortable with some things (in the case of facebook et al, I'm from eastern Europe, and the memory of surveillance being actively abused is a bit too recent around here for some of us to just dismiss leaving literally everything about a person laying around the internet casually), and feel that using their stuff is going to send them the wrong message. I don't see a need to pressure other people into the same decisions over it either though, different people have different tolerances.

Which is also precisely why I find it hilarious when people get uptight about my tolerances. "Hey, look at me literally fellate this multibillion corporation and their practices that skirt the borders of legality everywhere around the world, because I like their product" ayyyyyyy

It's like trying to convice someone $800 bux is completely reasonable to spend on a dumb gaming peripheral. The cost was well worth it to me, so what :shrug:

VR is the best thing ever though, everyone should buy it. Go and buy VR now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

trump is also a racist manchild without any control over VR and he is going to make america great again, dont act like palmer cant make vr great again

hell, they may be even the same guy

have you ever seen these doughy childish racist millionaires in the same room?