Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

psychoJ posted:

Oh just you wait. :getin:

Also, get ready for the longest case in the entire series. I beat it at around 14 hours.

At least you can speed up text. 1-5 for the first time is....prolific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just beat it.

Goddamn, case 5.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013

Poque posted:

At least you can speed up text. 1-5 for the first time is....prolific.

I got annoyed by the gimmick of the villain of 6-1 near the end, so I just sped through it. If I missed something, I can just read the transcripts.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

psychoJ posted:

Oh just you wait. :getin:

Also, get ready for the longest case in the entire series. I beat it at around 14 hours.

Indeed. I'm still on Day 2 of the fifth case.

This really does feel like two cases in one. Day 1 felt like a case that could stand alone on its own merits, which just happened to tie into the real case on Day 2.

Apparently there's no statute of limitations in Khura'in, since we're going to have to solve the original assassination of the queen 23 years ago in addition to the current case. Or maybe regicide is a special case.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I bet day 1 of case 5 would've been case 4 if case 4 wasn't its own independent thing in this game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

voltcatfish posted:

I bet day 1 of case 5 would've been case 4 if case 4 wasn't its own independent thing in this game

That's what I figured too.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Beat it this evening.

After some deliberation, my verdict is: this game owns. Every case had something going for it and the localization and script were just spectacular. Whole game spoilers:

Case 1 Started super weirdly and slow but once I wrapped my head around it I was in. loving Pees'lubn Ahndahstandin! He felt like a Marlon ripoff at first but then his breakdown happened and all was forgiven. Love how he was just some jackass who went to the country a few months ago and somehow got a high level teacher position. Also Gaspen directly quoting Kristoph Gavin as the music stopped made my breath catch in my throat. gently caress Gaspen. Love how Kristoph has been silently coloring so much in these last two games subtly.

Case 2 might be one of the best standalone cases in the series. Awesome mystery, Ema is back, Apollo is great, big spotlight on Athena and she and Apollo had great rapport, I love Trucy so exploring her character was super cool, and Roger Retinz loving ruled. Total scumbag with a fantastic theme and both his gimmicks were marvelous. "No tricks! No gimmicks! My magic is the real deal!" :allears:

Case 3 probably had the most shocking thought route and it shattered my heart. Awesome and unusually grim and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It also made Khu'rain out to be a super interesting country too. I was enjoying the lore. But yeah, all over the place with an emotional conclusion that shows the series still knows how to pull it off when it needs to.

Case 4 might have been something of a weak mystery but I love Athena to bits so it was super fun to see her get the traditional Ace Attorney "oh god what the hell am I doing I have no evidence" trial. Great, funny palate-cleanser with magnificent back-and-forth between her and Simon and the respect Uendo was treated with surprised me, even down to Athena calling Kisegawa "Ms. Kisegawa". Uendo owned on that note. Good character piece and Athena is only going to learn from here. Can't wait for her to take center-stage next game. She is honestly my favorite protagonist. Sorry, Polly.

Case 5 was a wild ride that tried to pack too much in but hell if I didn't love it. Queen Ga'ran was such a satisfying final villain with a radical design and the two queens being Disney characters was great fun. But this case also introduced the best character, Armie Buff! Phoenix should adopt her. She owns so much and I want her to become a series mainstay. Make her Athena's assistant. Use the drone for investigation. Let's go. Also Dhurke being dead was excellent and such a gutpunch. I guessed it a minute before I had to present his profile.

Anyway, I don't think it unseats AAI2 or DD as my favorite but it owned a lot and is definitely up there. Rocky in places but great script and high points that rank among the series' best. I need a few days to take it in. Can't believe I've been playing this series for close to ten years now and over nine games and it still manages to surprise me and blow me away.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 24, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MattTheDoctor posted:

Case 1 Also Gaspen directly quoting Kristoph Gavin as the music stopped made my breath catch in my throat. gently caress Gaspen. Love how Kristoph has been silently coloring so much in these last two games subtly.

I either didn't catch this or don't remember it, can you remind me?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I either didn't catch this or don't remember it, can you remind me?

"Evidence is everything in court." Apollo quoted it last game too while doing Kristoph's arms-crossed pose.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, everyone says that all over the series.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

MattTheDoctor posted:

Beat it this evening.

After some deliberation, my verdict is: this game owns. Every case had something going for it and the localization and script were just spectacular. Whole game spoilers:

Case 1 Started super weirdly and slow but once I wrapped my head around it I was in. loving Pees'lubn Ahndahstandin! He felt like a Marlon ripoff at first but then his breakdown happened and all was forgiven. Love how he was just some jackass who went to the country a few months ago and somehow got a high level teacher position. Also Gaspen directly quoting Kristoph Gavin as the music stopped made my breath catch in my throat. gently caress Gaspen. Love how Kristoph has been silently coloring so much in these last two games subtly.

Case 2 might be one of the best standalone cases in the series. Awesome mystery, Ema is back, Apollo is great, big spotlight on Athena and she and Apollo had great rapport, I love Trucy so exploring her character was super cool, and Roger Retinz loving ruled. Total scumbag with a fantastic theme and both his gimmicks were marvelous. "No tricks! No gimmicks! My magic is the real deal!" :allears:

Case 3 probably had the most shocking thought route and it shattered my heart. Awesome and unusually grim and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It also made Khu'rain out to be a super interesting country too. I was enjoying the lore. But yeah, all over the place with an emotional conclusion that shows the series still knows how to pull it off when it needs to.

Case 4 might have been something of a weak mystery but I love Athena to bits so it was super fun to see her get the traditional Ace Attorney "oh god what the hell am I doing I have no evidence" trial. Great, funny palate-cleanser with magnificent back-and-forth between her and Simon and the respect Uendo was treated with surprised me, even down to Athena calling Kisegawa "Ms. Kisegawa". Uendo owned on that note. Good character piece and Athena is only going to learn from here. Can't wait for her to take center-stage next game. She is honestly my favorite protagonist. Sorry, Polly.

Case 5 was a wild ride that tried to pack too much in but hell if I didn't love it. Queen Ga'ran was such a satisfying final villain with a radical design and the two queens being Disney characters was great fun. But this case also introduced the best character, Armie Buff! Phoenix should adopt her. She owns so much and I want her to become a series mainstay. Make her Athena's assistant. Use the drone for investigation. Let's go. Also Dhurke being dead was excellent and such a gutpunch. I guessed it a minute before I had to present his profile.

Anyway, I don't think it unseats AAI2 or DD as my favorite but it owned a lot and is definitely up there. Rocky in places but great script and high points that rank among the series' best. I need a few days to take it in. Can't believe I've been playing this series for close to ten years now and over nine games and it still manages to surprise me and blow me away.

Wait, I'll give you AAI2 because that game owns and kicks so much rear end, but how could you possibly think Dual Destinies is better than this game? :psyduck:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dual Destinies has way less Trucy and way more Athena.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Dual Destinies has way less Trucy and way more Athena.

Trucy is good.

Anyway, Dual Destinies has a much better main prosecutor (which is one of the most important parts of a AA game) and I legitimately think it had some of the best trial segments in the series (even if they were all real easy), while some of SoJ's could be kinda wonky. So I can see someone liking it more as a whole.

Also, Apollo's confrontation on the stand with Phoenix and Athena in case 5 is pretty much my favourite testimony/part-of-a-trial in the series. DD does a lot of good stuff.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i hate every case in dual destinies

rip

i blame "the dark age of the law"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like every case in DD. Though I like pretty much every case in every AA game honestly.

The only ones I really dislike being 4-4, 2-3, and half of the cases in Investigations 1.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

also while i'm here i'll vindicate AA2's soundtrack as actually being good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'll say there was no moment in SoJ as intense as pointing out who the Phantom was

I also enjoyed having everyone together so I hope we don't leave America next time.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Terper posted:

I'll say there was no moment in SoJ as intense as pointing out who the Phantom was

I also enjoyed having everyone together so I hope we don't leave America next time.

Not even (whole game) Dhurke's death?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Not even (whole game) Dhurke's death?

It was a huge wtf moment but I remember my throat being dry and hearing my heart beat out of my chest, whereas that was more a lowkey ooooohhhh shhhhiiiiiitttt

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Terper posted:

I don't completely agree with you but I'll say that pointing out the Phantom's identity was really loving awesome.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Phantom never really struck a chord with me. Pointing them out was a twist, sure, but it was far weaker than any of the other big finale twists.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 24, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Kajeesus posted:

The Phantom never really stuck a chord with me. Pointing them out was a twist, sure, but it was far weaker than any of the other big finale twists.

I mean the fact that the Phantom was someone you've known throughout the game was pretty cool. I'm not going to say it's unprecedented in Ace Attorney, because it's not, but it was a legitimately awesome twist, the kind that makes you look back on the entire game.

The whole Dark Age of the Law thing can go gently caress off though.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

cloofish posted:

Wait, I'll give you AAI2 because that game owns and kicks so much rear end, but how could you possibly think Dual Destinies is better than this game? :psyduck:

As has been said, it had a lot of Athena and I like the cases more than some people here seem to. I really really like Turnabout Academy and its cast, for example, and as interesting as Khura'in is I like Japanifornia and I like having everyone together. Better dynamic. Plus no twist or sequence in SoJ except maybe (vague whole game spoilers) case 3's thought route and Dhurke in case 5 came close to blowing me away quite like Simon's mood matrix or figuring out The Phantom's identity.

Dual Destinies did a lot of good things that I enjoy and had a lot of characters I found memorable and fun. It just struck a chord with me, even down to the Dark Age Of The Law. I understand that isn't the popular opinion but then I really like every Ace Attorney game and case and have real trouble choosing favorites since they all do something right in my eyes.

Like, SoJ is probably going to be pretty high up there when I sit down and rank things out, and case 2 has shot straight to the top of my favorite cases list, but it's not immediately the best to me like AAI2 was. The trials had their issues and I can't claim to be totally emotionally invested the whole way through, at least not to the degree I was in AAI2 or DD.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Pointing the Phantom was really exciting, but one of my major gripes about DD is how it absolutely fails to keep that tension for very long. You get really hyped up... and the game fails to deliver very well.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
They are kind of two different feelings, but yeah those moments are both times I had to stop for a second and take a break to holy poo poo over what just happened.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I mean a huge complaint I have is that case 1 & 2 show the murderer. Not a huge deal because the first game did that, but then you have Means, who cannot be more obviously the killer if he tried. It's just dumb as hell (though his breakdown is A+) and then case 4 and case 5 are the same case so you only have one surprise villain.

e: Again I'll agree with you that the Phantom is an awesome villain, with an awesome Mood Matrix.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

cloofish posted:

I mean the fact that the Phantom was someone you've known throughout the game was pretty cool. I'm not going to say it's unprecedented in Ace Attorney, because it's not, but it was a legitimately awesome twist, the kind that makes you look back on the entire game.

He isn't really, though. The Phantom is two completely different characters before and after the reveal. As soon as the cat is out of the bag, he's a lovely liar who can't keep a straight face, but when you look back on the game, there's never a crack in his facade or any indication that there's more to the character than meets the eye. Even Athena, who specializes in hearing emotions and poo poo, never picks up on anything.

Also "some foreign government paid him to do it" is by far the weakest motivation of any villain in the series, let alone main villains.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

:siren:

quote:

Speaking of Mr. Eguchi, he will be here next week to talk about the full-length Special Episode that will be available starting next Thursday, “Turnabout Time Traveler,” and what you can expect from it. In addition, I’ll be holding him accountable for the insane premise of Episode 4, “Turnabout Storyteller.” If you haven’t finished Episode 4 yet by next week, consider this an incentive to do so. That way, you can read all of the supplementary info I’ve wrung out of him in a special one-on-one exclusive interview! We’ll also have a closing from Mr. Yamazaki about the secret “secondary theme” of Spirit of Justice. So be sure to stop by one last time next week!
:siren:
Source: http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjections/blog/2016/09/24/cloaks-and-scarves-gorgeous-3d-models-in-fluid-motion

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Kajeesus posted:

He isn't really, though. The Phantom is two completely different characters before and after the reveal. As soon as the cat is out of the bag, he's a lovely liar who can't keep a straight face, but when you look back on the game, there's never a crack in his facade or any indication that there's more to the character than meets the eye. Even Athena, who specializes in hearing emotions and poo poo, never picks up on anything.

Also "some foreign government paid him to do it" is by far the weakest motivation of any villain in the series, let alone main villains.

Ok I can agree and disagree with you here.

I find the Phantom convincing because he's some emotionless dude and he chooses to emulate the hammiest and over-the-top character there is. Makes sense, as if you don't understand emotions you wouldn't know restraint.

On the other side, he's part and parcel of the whole "Dark Age of the Law" thing, which I don't believe anyone bought. Also I don't think anyone gave a poo poo that the Phantom killed and impersonated Bobby Fullbright. Honestly I think the twist would be better if it was just straight up Fullbright as the villain but whatever.

e:
:eyepop:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I actually managed to (case 2)catch the Retinz/Reus bit a little early because I was looking at the Gramarye poster and wondered why everyone aged normally except Reus himself. Considering Valant and Zak both got new facial hair, I thought about what Reus would look like with facial hair, and oh poo poo :eyepop:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The culprit is super obvious in most AA cases, it's more about proving they did it than identifying them. 6-3 was a good exception though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Danaru posted:

I actually managed to (case 2)catch the Retinz/Reus bit a little early because I was looking at the Gramarye poster and wondered why everyone aged normally except Reus himself. Considering Valant and Zak both got new facial hair, I thought about what Reus would look like with facial hair, and oh poo poo :eyepop:

I guessed it blind because I caught it early that the body in the crime scene photo didn't have the same scar as Mr. Reus in the promotional poster, and then I assumed that it had to be Retinz because the real one would just have to make an appearance, right?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The White Dragon posted:

I guessed it blind because I caught it early that the body in the crime scene photo didn't have the same scar as Mr. Reus in the promotional poster, and then I assumed that it had to be Retinz because the real one would just have to make an appearance, right?

I totally missed that until Phoenix spelled it out for me :v: go figure

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Danaru posted:

I totally missed that until Phoenix spelled it out for me :v: go figure

This is me throughout all of every game half by choice, the ride's even wilder when every twist blindsides you. :downs:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't really like the Phantom twist because it meant Bobby Fullbright was a character that never actually existed, and everything up until that point was just a ruse. It would've been better if he had just died sometime between case 3 and 4 and was replaced with the Phantom.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That would have been really gripping. The guy you came to know throughout the game got loving murdered and you didn't even notice.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wasn't Blackquill investigating him though?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Momomo posted:

I don't really like the Phantom twist because it meant Bobby Fullbright was a character that never actually existed, and everything up until that point was just a ruse. It would've been better if he had just died sometime between case 3 and 4 and was replaced with the Phantom.

Bobby actually did exist though, we just didn't see him. It can be generally assumed that the Phantom's mimicry is almost perfect, and it would've looked weird if his personality did a 180 when he got replaced, so...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
He died a year before the game even started, so we never actually saw him alive. Considering the Phantom's whole deal is to receive everyone, his whole spiel about justice was just to fool everyone, and the characters never actually connected with him. Playing the impostor card just cheapens everything about his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dual Destinies' DLC case is one of the best cases in the series so I can easily forgive the other flaws the game has (like incessantly yapping about the dark age of the law and giving away the killer in Case 3 before anyone's even murdered, or how literally nothing about case 2 makes any goddamn sense).

It also gets a ton of credit for giving Phoenix his badge back and rehabilitating his character so he's no longer a huge manipulative rear end in a top hat like in AA4.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 24, 2016