Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you like HL2 you'll love Wolfenstein The New Order. It's probably the best FPS I've played since HL2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Some of my favourite games are

- Half-Life 1,2 + episodes plus Portal 1+2
- Uncharted 1+2+3+4 and the Last of Us
- Limbo and Inside, Brothers scratched the itch of this niche as well

These might seem three or more different genres going on here, but there's a lot of commonality;

- these games are all single-player and narrative driven, and mechanically simple
- NOT open world or bloated
- however they don't go so far into the "not really a game" interactive movie idea as things like Quantic Dream/Telltale/Until Dawn
- all do environmental storytelling well and as such are very immersive
- are very "well-paced"; even the ones that are more action heavy (ie Half-Life, Uncharted) have quieter and puzzle moments so that they're not too repetitive
- the entirety of each of these games is exciting because you're always wondering what's next around the corner

What else would scratch this itch?

The Tomb Raider reboot should be a safe bet. And >Tomb Raider Trilogy.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

These might seem three or more different genres going on here, but there's a lot of commonality;

- these games are all single-player and narrative driven, and mechanically simple
- however they don't go so far into the "not really a game" interactive movie idea as things like Quantic Dream/Telltale/Until Dawn
- are very "well-paced"; even the ones that are more action heavy (ie Half-Life, Uncharted) have quieter and puzzle moments so that they're not too repetitive
- the entirety of each of these games is exciting because you're always wondering what's next around the corner

Have you played Dishonored?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you like HL2 you'll love Wolfenstein The New Order. It's probably the best FPS I've played since HL2

Yeah, I like this game a lot. I've got Old Blood sitting on my shelf, that's probably the next thing I should play.

Renoistic posted:

The Tomb Raider reboot should be a safe bet. And >Tomb Raider Trilogy.

Enjoyed the Tomb Raider reboot (though I think it could have been even leaner by not having waypoints/an overworld map) and will play Rise when it gets released on this platform. I didn't bother with the Trilogy but I have it on Steam so I'll try that too.

Popular Human posted:

Have you played Dishonored?
Yeah I like games like this, Thief, Deus Ex as well. And other third person stealth in general ie Splinter Cell/Metal Gear Solid. Probably slightly outside exactly what I'm aiming for here but this is a kick to get excited about Dishonored 2 and to get Mankind Divided.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Yeah, I like this game a lot. I've got Old Blood sitting on my shelf, that's probably the next thing I should play.

Negative, abort. Old Blood is so so bad in comparison. Don't bother. Trust me.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

- Portal 1+2
- Limbo and Inside

The Talos Principle

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Enjoyed the Tomb Raider reboot (though I think it could have been even leaner by not having waypoints/an overworld map) and will play Rise when it gets released on this platform. I didn't bother with the Trilogy but I have it on Steam so I'll try that too.

Be aware that Rise has like three times as many collectibles and crafting. Also they cut off routes to several different areas after you've beaten so you have to teleport to return to them, for literally no reason. It's a lot bigger and a good game but I enjoyed the first one more.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Negative, abort. Old Blood is so so bad in comparison. Don't bother. Trust me.
To be clear, Old Blood is only bad in comparison IF you are looking for something narratively driven and with quieter/puzzle moments. It's got a stock minimalist FPS plot, and no "puzzles", but it is still:

- single-player, and mechanically simple
- avoiding the "not really a game" interactive movie idea as things like Quantic Dream/Telltale/Until Dawn
- something that does environmental storytelling well and as such is very immersive
- very "well-paced"
- exciting because you're always wondering what's next around the corner

Since you already have it, BOAT SHOWBOAT, I say go for it, knowing that it's not just a pure rehash of New Order but something boiled-down and good on its own merits, albeit a more difficult game overall than its predecessor.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

hadji murad posted:

Is there currently a good way to fund a Canadian PSN account if you have a foreign card?

Also, since it's been ages since I bought a game, is tax charged on purchases?

Yeah, buy CDN PSN cards. That's how I do it, since I have a Canadian PSN account but live in Korea.

I used to get them from PlayAsia but they took a while so I just use some other site now.

I don't think additional tax is applied.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Tightly delivered narrative experiences. I can dig it.

The Swapper is a good environmental and haunting puzzle game.
What about character action games? Bayonetta isn't quite mechanically simple, but it has a great complexity curve. God of War works too.
Maybe the Bioshock Collection could work. The pacing isn't perfect but Bioshock 1 is a pretty great game for its majority.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah, buy CDN PSN cards. That's how I do it, since I have a Canadian PSN account but live in Korea.

I used to get them from PlayAsia but they took a while so I just use some other site now.

I don't think additional tax is applied.

That game is really really bad, man

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I agree with Bioshock.

I've heard Metro Last Light is basically HL3.

Journey?

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

zenintrude posted:

The Talos Principle

Seconding this, Talos Principle is amazing. Still crazy expensive on PSN, though.

edit: apparently there's a physical version out? Go with that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

graventy posted:

Ahahahahahaha whaaaaat. It's nowhere near as good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ahahahahahaha whaaaaat. It's nowhere near as good

it deffo has as much sewer crawl as hl2

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Are any of the anime games on sale good? I bought Guilty Gear

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i may have been tricked by the anime goons but i am downloading digimon cyber sleuth story atm and i hope that is good at least

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

zenintrude posted:

The Talos Principle

Cool I'll get this one

Renoistic posted:

Be aware that Rise has like three times as many collectibles and crafting. Also they cut off routes to several different areas after you've beaten so you have to teleport to return to them, for literally no reason. It's a lot bigger and a good game but I enjoyed the first one more.

Ah that's lame, I'll keep my expectations tempered for when I play it but still, it's something to tide me over until the next Naughty Dog thing.

Kenny Logins posted:

Old Blood talk: BOAT SHOWBOAT, I say go for it, knowing that it's not just a pure rehash of New Order but something boiled-down and good on its own merits, albeit a more difficult game overall than its predecessor.

Sounds worth a play!

Skychrono posted:

Tightly delivered narrative experiences. I can dig it.

The Swapper is a good environmental and haunting puzzle game.
What about character action games? Bayonetta isn't quite mechanically simple, but it has a great complexity curve. God of War works too.
Maybe the Bioshock Collection could work. The pacing isn't perfect but Bioshock 1 is a pretty great game for its majority.
'Tightly delivered narrative experiences' is definitely a good description of what I'm after. I'll give the Swapper a shot. Bayonetta never really gelled with me too much and while I have tried each of the God of War games, I never bothered to beat any of them. I just don't like Kratos and while there's fun moments, I think overall I find the series a bit juvenile and tasteless. The new upcoming one looks more interesting though

I've played all the Bioshocks as well. I might sound like a crazy person but I liked 2 the most.

graventy posted:

I agree with Bioshock.

Journey?
Will try Metro but I think you're overselling it a bit there.

Journey was cool. I think The Last Guardian will definitely be what I'm looking for too, when it comes out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Renoistic posted:

drat that's pretty disappointing. I just finished the first one a couple weeks back and I LOVED it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

homeless snail posted:

That game is really really bad, man

I'm not actually buying it, I just put it in my cart for a visual reference.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Are any of the anime games on sale good? I bought Guilty Gear

you bought the goty so rejoice and look no further. now to go to youtube and learn to be an annoying sin

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Games in flash sale that are good other than Guilty Gear: I've said it before but I really like Chronicles of Teddy. It has some rough edges but overall I found it to be a pretty great Zelda II like game.

Pirate Warriors 3 is the best Musou game in my opinion. It plays fast and smooth with ridiculous characters and a ton of content.

Akiba's Trip is silly and fun if you can get past the embarrassing concept. It's not amazing but it is far better than it has any right to be

Nitroplus Blasterz is a fairly fun and beginner friendly anime fighter.

Also if you don't have them obviously get the Shantae and Tim Schaffer games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i couldn't hang with chron of teddy. the controls are rear end on purpose it feels like. very pretty though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It just wanted that sweet Zelda 2 feel of trying to stab things with a two inch blade

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I had no problems with the controls but I seem to have a very high threshold for 2D platformer controls than most people I'm finding out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

It just wanted that sweet Zelda 2 feel of trying to stab things with a two inch blade

yeah its true but AoL didn't try and make dash a double tap of forward when you need to scoot into stab range of a dark nut. cause in teddy you will get hosed up through no fault of your own if you hit forward twice and its just stupid on a controller with plenty of buttons that could have been for run.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You don't need to double tap to dash. You can hold R2. It's weird because you're the second person I've pointed this out to and the game does tell you this in the beginning.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

axleblaze posted:

You don't need to double tap to dash. You can hold R2. It's weird because you're the second person I've pointed this out to and the game does tell you this in the beginning.

you got it twisted. yeah its on r2 but you can't turn off double tap to run so you run when you don't want all the time if you try to inch forward. it should have just been on r2 only

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Real hurthling! posted:

i couldn't hang with chron of teddy. the controls are rear end on purpose it feels like. very pretty though
i got wrecked in the first dungeon where there's a narrow hallway forcing me to fight a knight guy who just blocks no matter what height i strike and laughs at my lame rear end

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

rabidsquid posted:

i may have been tricked by the anime goons but i am downloading digimon cyber sleuth story atm and i hope that is good at least
if you like unlocking dudes and customizing your move set you'll like it. also consider playing it on hard if you're a frequent RPG player. you can still use powerleveling tricks on hard but the bosses will actually kick your rear end at times

sure the story is anime but it's on the insane side of anime rather than the creepy one imo

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Are the shantae games good/worth it at this price? I like old school platformers new and classic, I grew up with the NES MegaMan games etc and loved shovel Knight and guacamelee but I also have a very low tolerance for weird anime stuff and I've never played a shantae

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Seizure Robot posted:

Are the shantae games good/worth it at this price? I like old school platformers new and classic, I grew up with the NES MegaMan games etc and loved shovel Knight and guacamelee but I also have a very low tolerance for weird anime stuff and I've never played a shantae

There's a small bit of fan service with the character designs but it's pretty innocent otherwise. Great gameplay but more metroid and castelvania like for level layouts. As you gain skills/equipment you unlock more paths on earlier maps. Risky's Revenge takes place after the Gbc game. Pirate's Curse is after Risky Revenge.

Half Genie Hero is suppose to be out some time this year.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse are both good games. But if you're only playing one, then PC is definitely the best one.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
RR is also like a fourth the length of PC. Much more content in PC.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

they tricked me too, cause i was looking for a dumb jrpg to chill out with. it's very mediocre.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Digimon Cyber Sleuths was probably the best game I played this year, narrowly edging out browser games and mobile phone games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not

Helping

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

A little fun fact. With a discount code, technically you can have up to $196 in your cart.

The $150 limit is your checkout total.

(North america region)

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

So I bought the Bioshock collection and it seems Infinite comes with all of that extra gear from the season pass/preorder bonus and you can't choose to not pick it up or even unequip it.

I hope this doesn't make things too easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Remember Me, but you *must* play it with the French audio. This is on my top ten games of all time.

The Order 1886.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War.

• Locked thread