Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Demon's Isle is a good lbg right? Either way I'm making a Seltas gunner set for HR so I can be a bug version of Heavyarms gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Demon's Isle is a good lbg right? Either way I'm making a Seltas gunner set for HR so I can be a bug version of Heavyarms gundam.

Yup, it's solid. Good crag shot stuff, the triple shot is badass, and I think you can do either paralyzing or sleeping shot, which adds some versatility. It's also fun, if maybe not super powerful, to blast Normal 1 shot in five round bursts.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Noice. Are there goon hunts? I'm thinking of getting some people together for chill hunts and clearing out all the"hunt the thing" quests in 4-5* range but most players want to blast through those and get carried to 7*.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Get on the Discord. You can usually find people to join. Just ask whoever joins to tone down their weapon or something and most will have a gimmick around so they don't completely trivialize the target.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Chill hunts are rad, I think people organise hunts on the discord or IRC? No idea when it's populated though.

Are there any armor skills or food skills to negate Malfestio confusion? There's a skill for pretty much everything else but I can't seem to find one in-game or online for it.
Speaking of skills, Evade Distance is viewtiful for Aerial style, since doubling the hop length makes keeping close and springboarding much easier. It apparently only has 1-slot +1 decorations though, so idk how practical it is to work into other sets - only Silverwind, Snowbaron (part of signature skill), Nargacuga & Dynaqlo have it naturally. Gonna start on that Charm Farm for a good evade talisman I guess.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ambi posted:

Are there any armor skills or food skills to negate Malfestio confusion? There's a skill for pretty much everything else but I can't seem to find one in-game or online for it.
I believe Bind Res covers confusion.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ambi posted:

Chill hunts are rad, I think people organise hunts on the discord or IRC? No idea when it's populated though.

Are there any armor skills or food skills to negate Malfestio confusion?

Yes, believe it not. I found it by accident. It's the skill from Seltas armor (and I don't know what else) that makes you resist flinching from weak attacks. As long as you don't get hit by an actual attack like a big dummy you won't ever get confused by the cloud of confusion or whatever because it'll get resisted as a weak attack.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I thought that just included jaggi bites and such? My decision to play Bug Gundam keeps paying off.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I thought that just included jaggi bites and such? My decision to play Bug Gundam keeps paying off.

I'm fascinated by some of the things it shrugs off at times. One is seregios projectiles, where you won't flinch the first two hits. The third hit still causes bleeding though. I think I even shrugged off a gammoth trying to turn me into a snowcone. The armor is just one discovery after another sometimes.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

The other set that gives Hero's Shield is the Master's set, which I'm working on getting right now. Seltas is way easier to get, though; just to get Master's you need to do The Hapless Bodyguard which involves fighting three Rajang in one quest, and then you need 15 dragonbone relics, 5 wyvern gems, 10 commendation G, and 10 Kokoto tickets to make the set. Farming the relics and commendations is the easier part.

Boy if you don' t look cool as gently caress, though. And you also get Composed and Divine Blessing with Hero's Shield, so it's pretty solid before you start gemming stuff in.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q6xBtATncI

More demo of the zenith update from TGS, looks like it's functionally just the Frontier team back-porting a lot of the updates that they helped introduce into Generations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So this is my first game in the series and I've been using Adept Longsword most of the way (I'm HR7 now), but I never realized just how much of a clutch Adept was until now. I was basically playing Dark Souls, dodging into attacks without a care in the world and suddenly I realize I can't do anything without Adept, even if I know the monster :psyduck:

It's weird how the game says it's a combat style for experts, good only if you already know the monster's moveset, but really it's actually the easiest one to use if you're going in blind. You get to be sloppy and dodge at the last second and still come up on top.

Guess it's time to relearn everything. Which is fine by me, I was thinking of trying a new weapon anyway :v:

Elman fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 20, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Good god, I just picked up the Hunting Horn since the demo and I finally understand the whole "double note" system it has now and jesus gently caress, this thing kicks so much more rear end.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Good god, I just picked up the Hunting Horn since the demo and I finally understand the whole "double note" system it has now and jesus gently caress, this thing kicks so much more rear end.

Hunting Horn has always been good. The bad thing about it is usually the player. I was an aggressive horn player in 4U so the new double note thing is just icing on the cake. I loved using the Quropeco set with the Castanet bc of the attk and Def L if I remember correctly. I had to be extra careful bc the set was pretty weak defensively and plenty of times I was one shot by monster attacks in G rank

cancerianmoth fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 20, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

cancerianmoth posted:

Hunting Horn has always been good. The bad thing about it is usually the player. I was an aggressive horn player in 4U so the new double note thing is just icing on the cake. I loved using the Quropeco set with the Castanet bc of the attk and Def L if I remember correctly. I had to be extra careful bc the set was pretty weak defensively and plenty of times I was one shot by monster attacks in G rank

I loved HH and the Peco horn was hilarious; but it feels so awesome now popping 2+ buffs and extending them with one play of the horn. Feels good.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

gen is my first mh and I played my first 60 hours with HH and it was a blast! I really like how choosing the right songs for each hunt makes HH have pretty cool variety. I'm trying to diversify my selection with more elemental ones. first up is the zinogre deviant one I think :toot:

but fungasax forever.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Cross post, since some people may not know about it.

Toukiden Kiwami is on sale on Steam for 30$. For the uninitiated, it is very much a hunter-like where first impressions from video may indicate it is more of a button masher, or otherwise maybe too shameless in it's design, from player home/equipment boxes, quest boards, etc - folks who have invested in it swear by it as one of the better hunter-likes.

Anyway, hunter-likes are pretty rare, and hunters generally are rare on PC, so I'll finally be checking it out since I can rationalize 30$ on a bad PC port if the game happens to be good. I'll be around the Awful Hunters discord if anyone else is interested and looking to do some early game online content.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Seltas armor with Demon's Isle Trip report:

Hella fun. Demon's isle can load three crag shots with minimal recoil at once, and multiple cluster shots. Seltas armor boosts them with artillery expert and ammo saver will occasionally give you extra boom. The low recoil on Demon's gives you more opportunity to lob grenades into monster faces, while Hero's shield means annoyance enemies in the arena won't stop the barrage. The internal ammo is also versatile: piercing fire, shrapnel(pellet shots that split in impact) and armor/demon.

I started by wandering into a random Hellblade farm that was fine with taking my inexperienced self with them and we killed it twice in ten minutes or less. I then showed up at a duramboros farm and busted the humps with pellet shots easily.

I'm excited to keep going. The only problem is that on smaller monsters like Kirin, you have to be judicious with your explosives because you'll stunlock your teammates if you spam blasts. Full house is great for this though. Bring all the crag and cluster shots you can, use the art, and the next time the monster is stunned you can cycle through them all without having to reload and blow faces off for days.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Seltas armor with Demon's Isle Trip report:

Hella fun. Demon's isle can load three crag shots with minimal recoil at once, and multiple cluster shots. Seltas armor boosts them with artillery expert and ammo saver will occasionally give you extra boom. The low recoil on Demon's gives you more opportunity to lob grenades into monster faces, while Hero's shield means annoyance enemies in the arena won't stop the barrage. The internal ammo is also versatile: piercing fire, shrapnel(pellet shots that split in impact) and armor/demon.

I started by wandering into a random Hellblade farm that was fine with taking my inexperienced self with them and we killed it twice in ten minutes or less. I then showed up at a duramboros farm and busted the humps with pellet shots easily.

I'm excited to keep going. The only problem is that on smaller monsters like Kirin, you have to be judicious with your explosives because you'll stunlock your teammates if you spam blasts. Full house is great for this though. Bring all the crag and cluster shots you can, use the art, and the next time the monster is stunned you can cycle through them all without having to reload and blow faces off for days.

Look into the Lost Musket. It can rapid-fire Crag 1, load 4 crag and 2 cluster shots of every level, and has Triblast and Cannon shots as internal ammo. :torgue:

You'll need Recoil Down to make full use of it though.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Is that the fancy pearl and gold one? Got the mats way back in village 3 and forgot about it. The Seltas set has no slots so I won't be able to gem it in.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I wish the seltas armor was called seltas queen armor instead because I was really excited to get to 5* and finally have it and was very confused until I looked it up.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Is that the fancy pearl and gold one? Got the mats way back in village 3 and forgot about it. The Seltas set has no slots so I won't be able to gem it in.

And this is what mixed sets are for.

Zombeef
Feb 15, 2014

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

The musket has 3 slots, depending on charms you shouldn't need to swap more than 2 armor pieces.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Finally finished all of the Village Quests. I should probably update my N3DS so I can play online and do Guild poo poo.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I think charms are going to be the limiting factor. I checked and couldn't make any ammo saver gems, but I do have artillery charms.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Artillery is a 2-point-per-slot skill so it's easy to gem into your set. If you really want to blast away with the musket I would focus on getting recoil + 3. My musket set is:

Barrage Earring
Battle Vest S
EX Arc Guards
Hermitaur Coat R
Hermitaur Leggings R

And the best recoil charm you have. Recoil +4 ooo is ideal. Then you'll have Recoil down +3 and Load Up and can easily gem in Artillery Novice and Trueshot Up since you have 10 slots on the set. Finally, attach the silencer to your musket and you'l have Minimum recoil. The set incidentally gives you reload speed -1, but that doesn't matter since you can use Full House 3. I recommend striker style to charge that faster and also to have both absolute evade arts as well. Ammo Saver is cool but you can just bring materials to craft more explosives on the hunt instead. Happy Musketeering

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So how do you get Deviljho saliva? It's not on any drop list I can find and I need 5 of it to upgrade his dual blades.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

legoman727 posted:

So how do you get Deviljho saliva? It's not on any drop list I can find and I need 5 of it to upgrade his dual blades.

Quest reward for the Guild 6/Guild 7 Jho missions.

http://mhgen.kiranico.com/item/deviljho-saliva

Zombeef
Feb 15, 2014

legoman727 posted:

Just a heads up, you won't be able to fully upgrade them because hyper Jho is locked behind unreleased dlc.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Anyone have a good recommendation for a weapon to learn in 4U if I really want to force myself to figure out fights? I've been using DBs, but they tend to get me into pretty bad habits of brute force button mashing/spamming devil's dance. I just tried out long sword, and it seemed pretty strong in my initial test fight against a G Jaggi, but when I made a Coiled Nail and tried my luck against a Gore Magala, I got triple carted really fast, and it felt like i could barely react to anything.

Is this just what it feels like to have to Get Good?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

It sounds like you're hitting a point where you'll need to get good yes, that's one way to put it. Though there's nothing wrong with wanting to stick to one weapon if you really want.

I'd suggest, for DBs, learning when it's safe to turn into into a blender. You'll need to learn the monster and their openings so you don't get smacked around, and when it's safe to use demon mode. If you want to keep using LS you should start using the fade slashes and fitting them into your combos. Since the weapon has big slow slashes, learning openings is even more important. That said if you want an ultimate "git gud" weapon, it'd have to be the granddaddy of them all, the Greatsword. Positioning and learning how monsters work is literally the only way to use that weapon.

I started with the CB in Generations as my first game, and the weapon didn't really click for me until I learned how to charge phials quickly, how to actually use them, and how to keep the shield charge when using the big elemental discharge... It later clicked again once I started actually using Guard Points (especially the adept one, that one is REALLY useful). The weapons all feel like they're really designed to give you these "aha" moments as you get used to them. I've sort-of figured out SAs for instance, but I haven't fought something where they just clicked like CB did for me against Astalos the first time.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey complete newbie to the series, just a couple of questions.

1. Combining items to make stronger items, is this pot luck and I just guess the combos or as I make a stronger one or level up it'll show up new ones in my combo list?

2. Ditto for making armour. I haven't made any yet but should I save stuff up for recipes later? Or really just should always be looking to upgrade?

I'm completely lost (don't even get me started on the cats, I'm just ignoring them for now) and I feel like there is so much content thrown at you at the start so I'm sticking to the 1 star missions since I've just done the tutorials.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

teacup posted:

1. Combining items to make stronger items, is this pot luck and I just guess the combos or as I make a stronger one or level up it'll show up new ones in my combo list?

2. Ditto for making armour. I haven't made any yet but should I save stuff up for recipes later? Or really just should always be looking to upgrade?

I'm completely lost (don't even get me started on the cats, I'm just ignoring them for now) and I feel like there is so much content thrown at you at the start so I'm sticking to the 1 star missions since I've just done the tutorials.

You'll never know what a combo is until you make it. There's no getting around that. Also you will never really "level up", the closest to that is your hunter rank increasing and letting you fight harder monsters.

You should keep armor around until you find another set you want or you start taking too much damage. For village quests and LR guild quests you can usually pump up a weaker set to get you to the end, but for high-rank you'll want to get something more durable. Skills are very handy, so you might end up making several sets for different monsters and conditions, like one with heat resistance so you don't need cool drinks in the desert.

MH is definitely a game that benefits from looking stuff up all over the place. http://mhgen.kiranico.com is your friend.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

teacup posted:

1. It's secret recipes that don't reveal until you make them, yeah. I would honestly just look up the combination recipes on Kiranico, because there's no real joy or mystery in that system. You're gonna want to know how to make Demon Drug, Mega Dash Juice, and other things, not to mention different types of ammo if you're a gunner. Side note: there is no leveling up. All of your stat upgrades are from equipment, and most of your growth will be from you, the player, getting better at the game. Having armor appropriate to the rank of the monster you're fighting just means you can sustain like 3 hits without healing instead of one hit. There is what's called Hunter Rank, but that's basically just your e-penis in multiplayer. It's a summary of the number of monsters you've killed, and doesn't provide any extra stats or abilities.

2. Yeah, save all your monster parts and ores until you're well past needing them. The way weapon and armor recipes work is, if you have at least one of the first ingredient in the list for a recipe, the recipe will unlock at the blacksmith. Armors are always a flat "make this and then upgrade it" kind of structure, while weapons are more of a tree. Weapons have an upgrade path to reach specific weapons, and you spend a little less in materials, or the un-upgraded forms of most monster-type weapons become available, once you have the first ingredient, to just make from scratch. Making them from scratch is somewhat more expensive, usually, requiring more parts and materials. Also, a lot of the higher-grade weapons and armor like to have parts from multiple different types of monster.

e: beaten

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Squidtentacle posted:

You'll never know what a combo is until you make it. There's no getting around that.

The combo list does tell you all possible combinations in the game, it just hides the results until you make them. So if you just make 1 of everything as you gain the required items it's not a problem.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

wocobob posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a weapon to learn in 4U if I really want to force myself to figure out fights? I've been using DBs, but they tend to get me into pretty bad habits of brute force button mashing/spamming devil's dance. I just tried out long sword, and it seemed pretty strong in my initial test fight against a G Jaggi, but when I made a Coiled Nail and tried my luck against a Gore Magala, I got triple carted really fast, and it felt like i could barely react to anything.

Is this just what it feels like to have to Get Good?

Yup. You're at the point where you can't just button mash, and even when you're being deliberate, you probably don't have the foundation to be making any particular judgement on what is a good action to be making.

When you go to practice or learn a weapon with Great Jaggi don't just hit it until it dies. Putting a punching bag on the floor doesn't teach you anything. Take the time to REALLY explore the ins and outs of your moveset. Literally sit there and hit it in the face with the exact same attack, both as a trial to explore how difficult/easy it is to even use the attack, and count how many hits to the face it requires to cause a stagger. Easier to use moves are often less powerful. More difficult to use moves are often more so. Which is best? You're not going to really know until you can figure out how to effectively use either.

If it seems like a lot of trouble, rest assured, what you learn in 4U will translate almost bit for bit to Generations, and almost certainly to Monster Hunter 5. Probably even beyond. This series has always been in iterative development. Though it wipes the gear slate clean, all of your knowledge/experience as a hunter is retained. Minor tweaks/changes are generally just that. Rarely does it run contrary to your experience, but your experience makes those changes easier to accommodate/work around, or even exploit.

"get good" is also contextual. The are countless little tips and tricks, we could go on for days. Find someone who can maybe tutor you on things outside the action-combat. Get in the Discord channel. Someone one day or another will probably be willing to put down Generations and boot up 4U again to help show you the ropes.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

teacup posted:

BMan posted:

The combo list does tell you all possible combinations in the game, it just hides the results until you make them. So if you just make 1 of everything as you gain the required items it's not a problem.

The only item combines you should be wary of doing are ones that use Armor Stones (not Spheres), Dash Extract, Pale Extract, and Slickaxes. Every other item can be easily gotten again, but the listed items are much more difficult to obtain.

Slickaxes combines are used to duplicate items, so if you see a combine that requires 1 Iron Ore and 1 Slickaxe, it will return 2 Iron Ores and consume the Slickaxe. These combines are useless for all but the rarest materials, since much of the items you can duplicate are far more common than the very rare Slickaxes. Don't even bother making the combines, even if you just want to complete your combine list.

Armor Stones combines are used to create Armor Spheres, which are also relatively easy to obtain. Like Slickaxes, don't bother with these combines until you're deep in the game, by which point you'll know if they're worth doing.

There are ways to "easily" farm Dash and Pale extract, but it requires some special cat work and has a rather low return.

Any combine that requires a Throwing Knife or Tropical Berry can only be done inside of a mission, since Throwing Knives and Tropical Berries are Supply Items and Account Items, which means you can only get them inside of missions and they can not be taken back to town with you.

Also, anything on the middle and later pages that use fish or berries are for Bow and Bowgun ammo, and you can safely ignore them all if you don't plan on using bows or bowguns. Same with ambrosia and nectar, which are for the Insect Glaive.

vv Yeah, that.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 25, 2016

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
If you want to just fill out your combine list for completion's sake, you can bring your rare combine mats (slickaxes, armor stones, etc) to any mission, do the combine, and just abandon the quest afterwards. None of your items will be consumed, but the combine list entry will remain.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Question: What's my best choice for grinding timeworn charms? Trying to make my old GS focus/sheath control set from 4U, but since there's no G rank sheath control is two separate skills now and it looks like I can't make it without a decent charm. I finally got to HR6 so I can run the sakura method, which has a good payout and a side effect of making me filthy rich in the process, but would I get better results by doing melding? I thought about doing both, but I can't travel to whatever town the melding dude is in while online doing the sakura method. Seems like it'd be better to stick to the sakura method or melding and turning in the kelbi horn quest to quickly cycle.

Speaking of the kelbi horn quest, I heard you were supposed to be able to buy them from the trader but I don't see them. Do I have to unlock them or something? I've been avoiding villager requests for a bit trying to hurry to 6* for charm/money farming and Seltas Armor. I'd been using low rank rhenoplos for my gunlance and really needed the upgrade, which honestly feels like cheating with how many things count as small damage. Fought a Najarala and it basically couldn't touch me between my shield, that skill, and striker fueled absolute evasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

Question: What's my best choice for grinding timeworn charms? Trying to make my old GS focus/sheath control set from 4U, but since there's no G rank sheath control is two separate skills now and it looks like I can't make it without a decent charm. I finally got to HR6 so I can run the sakura method, which has a good payout and a side effect of making me filthy rich in the process, but would I get better results by doing melding? I thought about doing both, but I can't travel to whatever town the melding dude is in while online doing the sakura method. Seems like it'd be better to stick to the sakura method or melding and turning in the kelbi horn quest to quickly cycle.

The Sakura method is pretty much the best method in this game, yeah. If you're looking for a good GS set, try the Black set. It has Focus and Crit Draw right out the box, and you can gem in Quick Sheath or Punish Draw with a decent charm.

• Locked thread