Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

Steel blood, and unstoppable power:

Debates gonna own.

HEADLINES FROM TOMORROW: "Does Clinton Penetrate Bill's rear end?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

SABRmetrics kick rear end and ignoring then turns you into one of those "HEART AND GRIT" character and quite frankly I'd rather like needy stats than bluster like an idiot like Joe Morgan

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

brb submitting that idea to brazzers

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Tesseraction posted:

yeah like Trump is a fuckin' wildcard like no-one's ever seen

it's like replacing the baseball bats with vibrating dildos and expecting the match to play exactly as before

i'd watch that

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Ostentatious posted:

SABRmetrics kick rear end and ignoring then turns you into one of those "HEART AND GRIT" character and quite frankly I'd rather like needy stats than bluster like an idiot like Joe Morgan

it's also a reason why baseball is kinda boring :v:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

it's like replacing the baseball bats with vibrating dildos and expecting the match to play exactly as before
this keeps getting brought up and i do not agree. trump is not some insane aberration. winning the republican primary was a shock but only because we completely overestimated the intelligence of the average republican primary voter.

nothing about trump has disproven tried and true ideas about a presidential election.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

While Trump is uh unconventional, there were people in this thread that realized he was just the culmination of gop trends. The rules didn't exactly change, just that no one expected the platonic ideal of short gains at long term expense to run.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Karl Sharks posted:

it's also a reason why baseball is kinda boring :v:

I dunno baseball was really poo poo even beforehand

if you want to take a kickass sport that is fun and uses advanced statistics basketball is where it's at. hockey too.

the only sport that is largely immune to advanced stats is american football because of the sample sizes being far too low per season

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Extrapolating Trump's 'unusual' success among a base that is loving insane to the general electorate is absurd

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

when talking about Trump's success keep in mind that it is largely a result of a dying political party desperately trying to maintain relevance as conservatives drift towards Libertarianism and leaving the gop as solely a hotbed for evangelicals and nutjobs

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Ostentatious posted:

if you want to take a kickass sport that is fun and uses advanced statistics basketball is where it's at. hockey too.

i mean it's boring because if you can take a sport and dissect it to the point of having several metrics for individual players and how they'll influence the game without the interplay between them and the rest of the team just upending everything, then it seems boring to me :shrug:

quote:

the only sport that is largely immune to advanced stats is american football because of the sample sizes being far too low per season

people trying to use them for soccer get laughed at by about 98% of people who watch it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ostentatious posted:

yea it's not some magic spell to make you know everything, but I've found a lot of the outright rejection of it comes from the types who think "YOU CAN'T TEACH HUSTLE" and all are actually good takes.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Ostentatious posted:

basketball and hockey are nowhere NEAR having such a stable, quantifiable progression as baseball though. baseball is the only one where you can read stats of a game and understand 90% of what happened. basketball and hockey can have players who contribute a ton but barely show up on a stat sheet.

baseball is pmuch a living, breathing excel sheet. and i love it.

except now cause the angels suck

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

cams posted:

this keeps getting brought up and i do not agree. trump is not some insane aberration. winning the republican primary was a shock

No it wasn't. He was ahead in every poll from like August forward

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Tesseraction posted:

The problem was Nate was saying "Trump is leading in the polls and won 2/3 of the early states but he still won't win the nomination."

It was obvious in January that Trump would win based entirely off polling.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think the most skeptical reaction to Trump was "why would they vote for him, don't they want to win?" Which I guess is way more inside baseball or whatever than actual voter thinking.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Speaking of vodka, what will be the alcohol of choice to consume while watching the debate on Monday? Has to be something that will afford one to be able to get out of bed and work the next morning. Asking for a friend.

Whiskey cut with water

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I think the most skeptical reaction to Trump was "why would they vote for him, don't they want to win?" Which I guess is way more inside baseball or whatever than actual voter thinking.

Pretty much, most wonks looked at it through that lens and lol at the thought of someone genuinely believing Donald Trump would be a net good for the party if he won the primary.

They were forgetting most voters don't actually think like a wonk so no one's going in saying 'hrm well Trump clearly will have longterm problems in the party...'

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I think I finally, fully understand the epithet Shook Nate.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Venom Snake posted:

No it wasn't. He was ahead in every poll from like August forward
lol he was not leading in polling this early. for most of the beginning, he had a steady 2nd/3rd showing in polls, but like EVERY poll while the rest of the field would rotate in the lead state by state. it wasn't until the primaries actually got underway that he started floating to the top across the board.

and i meant the general idea of him winning was a shock. before the primaries started i did not think they were that dumb.

edit dang i was wrong, nationals really did have him up that early. state by states still show what i was talking about, but his consistent finishes are what blew away the rest of the field. interesting.

cams fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 24, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Whiskey Sours posted:

The problem was Nate was saying "Trump is leading in the polls and won 2/3 of the early states but he still won't win the nomination."

Nate is a political neonate, and like some people here though the party had more sway over the process. Or really, the mistaken belief was that there was a party to stand against him. The gop is a fractured mess with no real leadership. And being someone that leans gop I can see why Nate wouldn't let himself see that easily.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ostentatious posted:

when talking about Trump's success keep in mind that it is largely a result of a dying political party desperately trying to maintain relevance as conservatives drift towards Libertarianism and leaving the gop as solely a hotbed for evangelicals and nutjobs

Still makes me laugh have fundies bought his whole road on Damascus change of heart and how he loves religion now.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

cams posted:

this keeps getting brought up and i do not agree. trump is not some insane aberration. winning the republican primary was a shock but only because we completely overestimated the intelligence of the average republican primary voter.

nothing about trump has disproven tried and true ideas about a presidential election.

except that he routinely fucks up, offends whole swaths of the electorate and completely u-turns on fundamental policy and nothing tanks his numbers

like, I expect him to lose but he's a complete aberration in terms of expected candidate behaviour and he's fascinating in this regard

terrifying otherwise, of course, but I laugh because I can

Whiskey Sours posted:

yes but nate still hadn't come around to lol nothing matters

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nobody should've had any doubts as to Trump winning the nom after it came out in January that not one campaign had done any oppo on him.

Up until that point I believed that Trump was the perfect screaming id of the party but that he'd be ratfucked. Turns out the GOP had a dozen easy outs but they're cowards, so now Trump owns their party

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

While Trump is uh unconventional, there were people in this thread that realized he was just the culmination of gop trends. The rules didn't exactly change, just that no one expected the platonic ideal of short gains at long term expense to run.

this too, but it is shocking just how much he can gently caress over his own base and they still come to give him slobbery blowjobs

in 2012 Mittens's 47% comment had people blowing their loads about it while in 2016 Trump does one of those a week and people just go 'meh' and his likelihood of winning by Nate's numbers keeps climbing

he's unconventional and he's showing that conventional campaigns don't seem to be all that useful in determining how things play out

which is why he's a wildcard

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

And to be fair to Nate, his model worked perfectly on the Dem primary

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

a dumb orange wild card that walks around with a trou full of his nasty poo poo but there you go

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Epic High Five posted:

Nobody should've had any doubts as to Trump winning the nom after it came out in January that not one campaign had done any oppo on him.

Up until that point I believed that Trump was the perfect screaming id of the party but that he'd be ratfucked. Turns out the GOP had a dozen easy outs but they're cowards, so now Trump owns their party

It owns forever that the party which denies the government's essential ability to solve collective action problems was brought to its knees by a collective action problem.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 24, 2016

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Nate is a political neonate, and like some people here though the party had more sway over the process. Or really, the mistaken belief was that there was a party to stand against him. The gop is a fractured mess with no real leadership. And being someone that leans gop I can see why Nate wouldn't let himself see that easily.

The party does have complete control over the process. Everything went exactly as planned. The front runner in a crowded field would win early primaries with ~25%, then consolidate support as the dozen clowns dropped out.

They didn't plan on Jeb being a clown and Trump being the front runner.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

:abuela:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/779715978796072960

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

https://twitter.com/Yair_Rosenberg/status/779408115427049472

https://twitter.com/clmazin/status/779455609309573121

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

except that he routinely fucks up, offends whole swaths of the electorate and completely u-turns on fundamental policy and nothing tanks his numbers

like, I expect him to lose but he's a complete aberration in terms of expected candidate behaviour and he's fascinating in this regard

terrifying otherwise, of course, but I laugh because I can

I think that's more the political climate. It's too polarized. And besides that Trump is just a cipher. No one on his side gives a poo poo about the man, only the promise that their team will start winning again. Whatever regressive team that is. They don't care about policy because their single issue is rear end in a top hat chauvinism. Which is actually improved by mercurial standards. Then you can strike at the outsiders easier by shifting the goalposts

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Armchair political analyst in me thinks the GOP was used to the base electing the more charismatic of the standard issue empty suit republicans that vied for the nomination, regardless of what outrageous promises and claims were made. Nate also thought this. Then a reality tv celebrity happened and didn't immediately flame out like they were hoping / predicting and they are starting to realise that they are lost in a world they can't really navigate any more and are falling over themselves to publicly humiliate and debase themselves trying to regain control

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Trump humiliated Cruz's wife, and Cruz later endorsed him. Doesn't this make Cruz a literal c.u.c.k.?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Doubly impressive is that the NYT editorial board LOATHES Clinton

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Regular Nintendo posted:

Does this gamebuilder thing build for mac? Please think of the master race tia
i think so but who knows if ill complete it. I have a general roadmap but ehhhhhhh long term projects are hard

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Epic High Five posted:

Doubly impressive is that the NYT editorial board LOATHES Clinton

Yeah lol I'm imagining that endorsement was written by someone who ground their teeth down to nubs before they submitted it to the editor.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I think that's more the political climate. It's too polarized. And besides that Trump is just a cipher. No one on his side gives a poo poo about the man, only the promise that their team will start winning again. Whatever regressive team that is. They don't care about policy because their single issue is rear end in a top hat chauvinism. Which is actually improved by mercurial standards. Then you can strike at the outsiders easier by shifting the goalposts

well yeah, and again that means Trump can be a complete wildcard because no-one knows what to expect of him, other than if prodded he WILL freak the gently caress out and start launching his significant trou turd reserves in every direction

it means poor ol' shook nate is desperately trying to climb a greasy flag poll to understand how things work in a trumpian dystopia of polarisation

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
I still say Trump has no chance until he at least matches Romney's 2012 polling. Has Trump been at 46, 47, 48 in any national poll yet? Has he led Clinton in the RCP average yet? Romney did both of those things in 2012 and still lost in an electoral landslide. Show me a Trump 48 Clinton 45 poll and then I'll arzy, until then I still see President HRC as pretty much a sure thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

jeb's complete lack of any masculine features for republicans to latch on to was a real hilarious surprise. the highfive of cuckoldry was hard to watch.

this election is the best argument in favor of the founding father's belief that actual democracy is a bad loving idea because people are loving stupid. AHam would weep.

• Locked thread