Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Spider-Man too.

I was p upset when Peter totally hosed everything up with his employee because of Ulysses and in the end realized that was exactly what happened and it was his fault for going along with it and then still sided with Carol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea that didn't make any sense to me at all

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Diet Poison posted:

CW2 #5 was the definition of a filler issue, holy poo poo, my eyes were completely glazing over by the end. How many issues is this supposed to be? Just jump to the Hulk Goes Savage part, poo poo, we already know what the deal is with it now. Gonna spoiler the next bit in case you're not reading Daredevil: It's obvious that the Hulk gets evil-resurrected by the Hand, right? The moral being, just like with in the ANWolverine tie-in, that half of this poo poo is only happening because Ulysses sharing his visions is setting them in motion? I only ask because sometimes I completely misread this poo poo.

It's so obvious they already spoiled that in I think an Uncanny Avengers solicit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's so obvious they already spoiled that in I think an Uncanny Avengers solicit.

It was the end page reveal in last week's UA

Of course, if Amadeus did his job right there won't be any gamma left but lol of course that won't happen

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought this was a pretty good rundown of what happened to the Clone Saga. I actually found the info that marvel was highly compartmentalized during the 90s pretty interesting, and also explained a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUJRJNRqfh4

Speaking of spoilers based on solicts it looks like Emma is also dead as she followed Scott in his dumb attack on the Inhumans

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

the new wolverine has had by far the most sensible reaction to civil war 2

New Wasp too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea that didn't make any sense to me at all

At least it wasnt as dumb as Dr strange saying all magic was dead while scarlet witch was simultaneously affirming that she was using magic her whole life and traveling around using magic just fine

site fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 24, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Magic is dead. *Travels to an alternate universe to see his own movie starring Benedict Cumberbatch*

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I haven't been following CWII at all, is it as stupid as the latest issue of PM+IF makes it sound?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's just uninteresting.

e: Like, people are fighting and dying, but there's next to no impact felt (At least by me.)

There was more drama in the few pages of superhero confrontation in this week's Vision than this entire series.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 24, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it's hard to care much and one side is so obviously wrong in a way that doesn't even make sense. people present actual facts that prove that ulysses isn't always right and there are people on captain marvel's side who are witness to his visions being self fulfilling prophecies, yet they go with it anyway

like, tony was clearly presented as the guy in the wrong in the first civil war but you could at least see where he was coming from, whereas this is just baffling that anyone is on the other side of the fight

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

site posted:

It was the end page reveal in last week's UA

Of course, if Amadeus did his job right there won't be any gamma left but lol of course that won't happen

The main CW2 book already contradicted Totally Awesome Hulk by having Banner experimenting on himself with a gamma vaccine being what was stopping him from becoming the Hulk recently instead of Amadeus curing him. Tony confirmed what happened in TAH, and his first reaction to Ulysses' vision should have been saying that Banner was cured. No one even mentioned the possibility of it being Amadeus in the vision instead of Banner. Bendis maybe should have read what was actually happening with the Hulk in ANAD before using him as a plot device.

Poor Miserable Gurgi fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 24, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Practical Demon posted:

Bendis maybe should have read
You need to understand 1 simple fact.

Bendis does not give a gently caress what anyone has written, in fact, no one at Marvel gives a gently caress what anyone else has written. That's why we got an issue of Thor where apparently Jane Foster is Sexting Sam Wilson, but Sam Wilson in other books is with Dannie Moonstar. It is a collection of people who simply don't care what anyone else is writing. I don't know what the Marvel Editors are doing, but it's certainly not "Keep things consistent."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Where the hell have Sam Wilson and Dani Moonstar been dating, because it's not in Captain America.

Are you talking about Misty Knight and Sam Wilson? Because it's described from the start as an off-and-on sexual relationship.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Toxxupation posted:

Where the hell have Sam Wilson and Dani Moonstar been dating, because it's not in Captain America.

Are you talking about Misty Knight and Sam Wilson? Because it's described from the start as an off-and-on sexual relationship.

God drat it how did I get that wrong. Welp, only option is suicide. Thank you for the correction though.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Sam Wilson and Jane Foster had a whole romance storyline in All-New All-Different Avengers written by Mark Waid, so it's a lucky that Jason Aaron ignored that and stumbled upon using the same plot point in Mighty Thor, though it's entirely possible that Brian Michael Bendis rode his Harley into the Marvel offices and said "gently caress YOU, I'M PUTTING A THOR/CAP ROMANCE INTO AVENGERS" and the editors meekly replied "but you don't write Avengers anymore, it's Mark--" and then Bendis straight punched that editor in the face and said ALSO LET'S DO THAT IN THOR, BUT MAKE IT CONTRADICTORY I GUESS I DON'T GIVE HALF A gently caress and then put his cigarette out onto the editor's back and drove off, yelling ALSO I DON'T KNOW ANYONE'S REAL NAMES and immediately forgetting everything he wrote/'wrote' as a giant gently caress you to the fans.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Edge & Christian posted:

Sam Wilson and Jane Foster had a whole romance storyline in All-New All-Different Avengers written by Mark Waid, so it's a lucky that Jason Aaron ignored that and stumbled upon using the same plot point in Mighty Thor, though it's entirely possible that Brian Michael Bendis rode his Harley into the Marvel offices and said "gently caress YOU, I'M PUTTING A THOR/CAP ROMANCE INTO AVENGERS" and the editors meekly replied "but you don't write Avengers anymore, it's Mark--" and then Bendis straight punched that editor in the face and said ALSO LET'S DO THAT IN THOR, BUT MAKE IT CONTRADICTORY I GUESS I DON'T GIVE HALF A gently caress and then put his cigarette out onto the editor's back and drove off, yelling ALSO I DON'T KNOW ANYONE'S REAL NAMES and immediately forgetting everything he wrote/'wrote' as a giant gently caress you to the fans.

Am I a bad person if I wish this really happened

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Someone photoshop Bendis's head on the motorcycle Nick Fury panel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

I very much enjoyed visualizing this ty

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Jim Shooter is only a villain in that he wrote the first Secret Wars and for that he deserves death.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Little Mac posted:

Jim Shooter is only a villain in that he wrote the first Secret Wars and for that he deserves death.

Secret Wars is no masterpiece but as far as creating a narrative hook to lead to a merchandising deal, it's pretty good. I was all over that stuff as a kid, and it worked exactly like it was designed to...with the exception that I was more into Gi Joe and couldn't afford both so I never bought any of the secret wars toys; still loved the comic though.

Let's be honest too, he really took the bullet on that one. Any writer he tried to get to write that main series would be bitching to this day about it. That's the mark of a good editor in my book. lovely forced advertising storyline comes down the pipeline and he takes it on himself rather unload it onto his team.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 24, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So Ulysses is a juggalo too? This kid is the loving worst

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Look I know you're all against hyperbole, and blaming everything on Bendis is oversimplifying things, but surely you must agree that it's rather silly that Marvel has these big writers' retreats, then when event time comes around, suddenly all the writers' titles seem to conflict. Pak explicitly writes Amadeus curing Bruce Banner in TAH and then in CW2 Bendis has him in a barn experimenting on himself so he can look crazy. Bendis isn't at fault, CW2 has probably been done for a while, but if Marvel really wants to push their whole connected world angle (and they surely do, given the ads for tie-ins in the back of every issue) then somebody needs to be in charge. Maybe Bendis does need to ride that motorcycle down to the House Of Ideas, because it's clear that no one down there seems to care that much about keeping that house in order these days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's fairly well known that super star writers don't adhere to the traditional editing process. Bendis being who he is pretty much gets to do whatever he wants but I doubt he's an rear end about it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The one consolation about CWII for me is that, if Bendis is going to write Ulysses' arc the same way he's written every single one of his other generic mop-headed macguffin characters whose powers are just tooooo daaangerroouuus, then most likely we'll get to see someone -- probably Carol -- blow his head off when they eventually realize his powers are truly tooooo daaangerroouuus and that blowing his head off is the only way to save everyone or whatever. To be perfectly clear, I'm really looking forward to this character getting his head blown off.

But then, considering the way that this event has been going, it's also possible that he'll end up living in some sort of twist and I'll be denied even that small pleasure.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He'll be shipped off to some book nobody reads like that girl from House of M.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dang Karnak angry

E: warning picture big cuz afaik i can't resize stuff on my tablet

site fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 25, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

It's fairly well known that super star writers don't adhere to the traditional editing process. Bendis being who he is pretty much gets to do whatever he wants but I doubt he's an rear end about it.

I think this is a big problem with the big two. Johns' and Morrison's work both suffered at DC when they were both given free reign.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh yeah, Johns was basically editing himself during his JL run.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Wanderer posted:

I always thought it was a bit of a shame that the arc immediately after Claremont's departure involved the random, reasonably senseless slaughter of a lot of B-list villains like the Hellions.

I'll give you that, killing them off was pretty sucky. I get why they did it, to get the Upstarts over and to have White Queen available to rehab. But the Upstarts ended up being a really dumb storyline that went nowhere. A lot more could've been done with another group of differently-aligned young mutants around to harass X-Force and Gen X and I'm sure they could've gotten Emma turned another way.

And the Hellions were just really cool. Lead by the physical and initially moral opposite of Charles Xavier (before they reformed Emma and ruined Xavier) who still had the ability to be a good teacher and care for her kids. Add in the fact that most of them just had powers that were in a lot of ways just mostly nuisances than anything, but the idea that they were just better trained than the New Mutants/New Warriors, and that made them dangerous, and you have some potentially pretty cool stories they could've been involved in.

I mean I guess could currently be involved in since they're alive again but the time has kind of passed.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea it's hard to care much and one side is so obviously wrong in a way that doesn't even make sense. people present actual facts that prove that ulysses isn't always right and there are people on captain marvel's side who are witness to his visions being self fulfilling prophecies, yet they go with it anyway

like, tony was clearly presented as the guy in the wrong in the first civil war but you could at least see where he was coming from, whereas this is just baffling that anyone is on the other side of the fight

I used to read marvel pretty regularly, but have taken a break for the last couple year or so.

I recently came back and thought Civil War 2 would be a good place to start again, but as far as I can tell Marvel's M.O. recently seems to be replacing all their male super heroes with a female equivalent.

It's not a terrible course of action, but it doesn't really inspire strong story lines which I believe have been on the decline since the Marvel Studios era came along.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 25, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You'd have done better coming back a year ago. If you'd like to read a great event, go Secret Wars.

And read the current Vision for a look at a comic that isn't influenced by the movie version of it's character whatsoever.

e: Though if they took the movie Vision there, that'd be something to see.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 25, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Vakal posted:

I used to read marvel pretty regularly, but have taken a break for the last couple year or so.

I recently came back and thought Civil War 2 would be a good place to start again, but as far as I can tell Marvel's M.O. recently seems to be replacing all their male super heroes with a female equivalent.

It's not a terrible course of action, but it doesn't really inspire strong story lines which I believe have been on the decline since the Marvel Studios era came along.

Eh, it's not quite replace, they just have multiple heroes all have the same role. It's like they saw that Flash and Green Lantern doesn't really care that they have Multiple Flashes/Green Lanterns so why not do that on a mass scale.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, those damned women just can't have good stories!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vakal posted:

this is a really weird complaint and I don't understand what you're even talking about

all new wolverine is awesome and the only other one I can think of offhand is iron man, which I don't think has started yet. unless you count she-hulk getting the hulk book or something

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, those damned women just can't have good stories!

Maybe there should be some stories about making me a drat sandwich.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't believe they replaced Ms. Marvel with a woman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe they replaced Ms. Marvel with a woman.

Actually there's this new character they're introducing named Marvelman. I don't know if it's explicitly meant to take the spotlight off of the female Marvel, but I don't like it!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The only thing I've really disliked about Marvel's increased focus on female-led titles is how many of them seem to be focused on quirky comedy, which they seem to be looking to fix somewhat with All-Newer, All-Differenter Marveler Nower 2.0er.

I think it's pretty clear though, that if you look through the weekly releases that their comics still lean towards focusing on male heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

All comics should be exactly like Moon Girl.

• Locked thread