Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

mandatory lesbian posted:

actually, birds are the best reptiles

:agreed:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'm super interested in the "high level" VGC/Smogon talk on here because with S&M coming out and likely changing the competitive landscape a bit, it seems like a good jumping on point for getting into the VGC scene in some fashion

What do y'all who are higher tier players recommend as far as getting good goes? I've seen Nugget Bridge mentioned--is there a strats blog or anything to read up on? Is it basically net-decking at first to understand why the teams that are good are good and then applying those principles with your own spin?

like the other ppl said, cybertron and youtubers in general are really good because they'll help explain why the do certain things (even if it doesn'ta lways work out)

ladder on your own for a bit and set a goal (hit 10 on the ladder, go 30-0 from the start, etc). don't use gimmicks for the sake of it, don't be afraid of changing ur team jsut bc you get comfortable with it

after a while start enterting tournaments on smogon and you'll face a lot of better players in quicker succession

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

mandatory lesbian posted:

actually, birds are the best reptiles

Birds are bugs actually

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Someone please make a gif of the Blastoise popping its head out of its shell, thanks

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

dude789 posted:

If I recall, when they were initially banning shadow tag, they were hemming and hawing about whether the problem was shadow tag or Mega Sableeye combined with Shadow Tag. Now that this suspect has come up it seems that they really don't want to play against one of the pokemon who is one of the cornerstones of most stall teams.

dugtrio is explicitly not being tested, thats a proposal thread from one member of the community and not an official decision. you guys are freaking about nothing

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wish that Sniper Kingdra with Focus Energy and a Scope Lens spamming Draco Meteor and your favorite water attack weren't quite so fiddly to use.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I wish that Sniper Kingdra with Focus Energy and a Scope Lens spamming Draco Meteor and your favorite water attack weren't quite so fiddly to use.

agreed make sniper give you a natural focus energy + scope lens

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Someone please make a gif of the Blastoise popping its head out of its shell, thanks

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

So I've been watching a ton of Cybertron's videos (Road to Ranked 2016) and so far I'm wondering:

Are the teams constructed the way they are because someone discovered a really good mix and then everyone bridged out from there, or is it from years of figuring out who's bad and who's not?

I guess I mean is it necessarily the case that any Pokemon *not* in the teams I'm seeing are bad because people have discovered they're bad, or is it just that people are comfortable with the Pokes people have already determined are good?

Aside from obviously having to carry Kyogre/Groudon weather counters, where does someone start team constructing? It just seems that anytime Cybertron comes across something that's not in the orthodoxy he gets really surprised and put on the back foot, to a point where it seems like, since a huge huge percentage of the meta play is in predictions, playing a team that is outside the mainstream would make it hard to predict and thus prone to upsets?

yeah you're close, going "off-meta" is a good way to get some surprise wins or having something your opponent didn't account for. it's particularly hard in VGC 16 because its SUCH a centralized tier, though.

most ppl on wifi that go with weird teams tend to be below-average players unfortunately so they'll get steamrolled more often than not. but a talented / smart player with a tricky team is usually one of the hardest things to face!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ruggington posted:

agreed make sniper give you a natural focus energy + scope lens

I would be satisfied if there existed a Sniper user whose stat distribution were a bit more optimized. Though I did like going around with a Super Luck Absol with a Scope Lens using Night Slash with a 100% crit rate.

The change to the critical hit mechanics in gen 6 didn't get as much attention as some others, but it was good and thoughtful, because it became more worthwhile to interact with the system. I hope that gen 7 puts in another such change.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Excellent

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

I would be satisfied if there existed a Sniper user whose stat distribution were a bit more optimized. Though I did like going around with a Super Luck Absol with a Scope Lens using Night Slash with a 100% crit rate.

The change to the critical hit mechanics in gen 6 didn't get as much attention as some others, but it was good and thoughtful, because it became more worthwhile to interact with the system. I hope that gen 7 puts in another such change.

yeah and im thankful of the decrease from 2x to 1.5x, makes it possible to come back from one. in bw you could take like 40% on average from a hit, get crit for 80 and just be hosed and like be below rocks so you can almost never get a chance to recover

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Mega loppuny is pretty op.
Mega charizard Y also.
Why was greninja made uber-only? I get that protean is broken but its stats are not outstanding.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

it ran a train on offense and balance teams because of its speed and amazing coverage+STAB and the ways to check it were basically kyurem-black, chansey, clefable, bulky water types if it didn't run grass knot, and ferrothorn if it didn't run hp fire (it did)

ORAS gave it low kick and gunk shot which gave it the coverage to kill its safer checks

greninja + lopunny + latias double healing wish was a really fun team for the week greninja stayed around though

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mega lopunny is my unresisted jam

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Ka0 posted:

Mega loppuny is pretty op.
Mega charizard Y also.
Why was greninja made uber-only? I get that protean is broken but its stats are not outstanding.

greninja was insanely good in XY and only got better in ORAS. only like, max defense chansey could switch in and force it out and that still took something like 40 from slightly invested LO low kick, so if you got up one or two layers you could pretty realistically beat it down.

its speed stat meant it outsped just about everything on any given opposing team sans some scarfers and a rare handful of megas. also at the time that greninja was banned some of the faster megas hadnt yet made an impact on the metagame like lopunny.

basically grens only checks were things that were passive as hell and easy to take advantage of (chansey), had to be brought in as revenge killers (scarfers strong enough to kill it), or kinda ultra-niche choices. it centralized the entire metagame around it and by banning greninja more things were able to be used realistically in OU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What niche is this team missing that I should fill with the sixth slot (aiming at battle spot, not showdown):

Garchomp@Choice Band
Gardevoir@Gardevoirite
Breloom@Focus Band
Serperior@Rocky Helmet
Tyranitar@Assault Vest

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

What niche is this team missing that I should fill with the sixth slot (aiming at battle spot, not showdown):

Garchomp@Choice Band
Gardevoir@Gardevoirite
Breloom@Focus Band
Serperior@Rocky Helmet
Tyranitar@Assault Vest

the trash can

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ruggington posted:

the trash can

so you mean garbador or what

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

life orb or lefties on serp depending on the set/preference

focus sash on breloom because come on

I don't really know what the assault vest is for on tyranitar, I'd say give it a scarf on that team(can people even use the latis on battle spot?)

maybe move the vest onto an azumarill for a study pivot + reliable keldeo(can they use that)/weavile/mamoswine switch-in

maybe charizard-y since you have the tyranitar to take care of latis that i don't think they can use

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That's supposed to be a focus sash, I'm bad at remembering the names of items. Tyranitar could definitely switch items around, I had an assault vest Tyranitar back in the early days of XY that I had fond memories of and didn't rethink it

Latis are legal looks like and while I haven't played since ORAS released they're probably everywhere so the Tyranitar that was there to fill my otherwise gaping Talonflame weakness can serve double duty

I'll look into Azumarill which would be my preference over Charizard since I already have a mega (though with battle spot rules two megas is merely a bad idea instead of insanely stupid)

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 24, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

yeah I'd take azu since weavile can open you right up and it's reliable and strong even if they don't bring what you're expecting

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also I'm keeping rocky helmet on serperior cause mega kangaskhan is everywhere probably

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Also I'm keeping rocky helmet on serperior cause mega kangaskhan is everywhere probably

get this: move the rocky helmet onto rough skin garchomp, give the band to azumarill, and give serp a life orb

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I very carefully picked the only Serperior set in existence that doesn't require breeding for hidden power

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

use sub/seed/dragon pulse with lefties

or glare/dragon pulse/giga drain with life orb

because:

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 100-118 (34.3 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

that's not a switch in

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the BSS smogon set I'm copying runs a lot of defensive EVs and has reflect

I'm open to it being very bad but I 'm gonna find that out the hard way, in glorious combat

e: fitting dragon pulse in somehow might still be a good idea because I don't currently have anything that outspeeds garchomp and is super effect

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 24, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ganbatte, gamer

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

i just looked at that set and it's weird as gently caress but so is battle spot so it's probably good

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Not using hidden power should be encouraged always.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ruggington posted:

get this: move the rocky helmet onto rough skin garchomp, give the band to azumarill, and give serp a life orb

Rough Skin Rocky Helmet Garchomp is powerful. I have that on my best buddy Garchomp. She's the best.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I hope that Sun and Moon being 12 hours apart is a plot point and that the rival is someone who did everything you're doing 12 hours ago

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Not using hidden power should be encouraged always.

I will not rest until there is a physical hidden power(gsc and adv don't count)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope that Sun and Moon being 12 hours apart is a plot point and that the rival is someone who did everything you're doing 12 hours ago
There's no way they would do this but it would be amazing.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
You have to set your 3ds clock 12 hours ahead to defeat them

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Put Hidden Power only on special attackers with Technician.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
In addition to a physical HP, we also need a special False Swipe. When can we expect that, Mabel?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Chill Penguin posted:

In addition to a physical HP, we also need a special False Swipe. When can we expect that, Mabel?

Why do we need a special False Swipe?

You don't use False Swipe to do damage :psyduck: it really shouldn't matter which attack stat it runs off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I decided to start breeding a hidden power Venusaur. I thought fire was best on him but I saw some stuff on Smogon that said it's better to use ice or ground. Which one is best to go for? He'll be used in doubles mostly alongside other Charizard Y or Groudon or other sun setters.