Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

I think looking at the election from the lens of, well, now does raise some questions. How competitive was Rubio? I mean, honestly. The republican party LIKES what Trump is selling. It's not just a measure of there not being another good candidate or something, it's that Trump actually put his finger on the pulse of the national party and is probably the closest to what they wanted.

Rubio coming in strong to NH would have changed the timbre of the election, but would he have won? Impossible to say obviously, but it's actually interesting to look at this election a slightly different way in that the GOP field actually was fairly strong and Trump just had a better read on the electorate than all of them and was able, through his own unique gifts with the media, to position himself ahead of savvy and talented politicians.

"savvy and talented" are perhaps strong words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cams posted:

haha you're a stupid oval office

are you seriously afraid of armed militia men prowling around voting places

its the right wing paranoia wrt evil activists turned 180

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

crazy cloud posted:

I was also the first itt to call this poo poo when everyone was still arzying their dicks off about it being a major gaffe

I am proud to have never arzy'd about Clinton's chances at any point this cycle.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

i am beginning to have doubts it's ironic now

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cams posted:

yes

but so are you

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Yinlock posted:

When it comes to their base, I think they know what they're doing. I think they just didn't realize that they could get outflanked this hard on the white nationalism stuff.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I am proud to have never arzy'd about Clinton's chances at any point this cycle.

I had a good arzy post CNN polls a couple weeks ago and it felt nice.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wait, did Kristol really just :iceburn: Trump?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
SAVE US GORBY

:mmmhmm:

I like Bibi meeting with Hillary and Trump before the debate. We can all have a big conversation about open carry, existential threats, and reasonable force. FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS

cams
Mar 28, 2003

trump literally advocated for his 2nd ammendment supporters to go to polling stations on election day to make sure the wrong kind of people don't vote. yes i would put money on there being multiple corroborated reports of it on election day.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Schnorkles posted:

If Nate had done what he always had done and had just looked at the data and ignored all the punditry bullshit, he would have gotten Trump right.

I'm not sure why Nate was supposed to follow the polls predictions during a time when polls were historically a horrible predictor for the eventual nomination.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

iospace posted:

kristol had a few good burns this cycle it's true

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The best temperament!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm not sure why Nate was supposed to follow the polls predictions during a time when polls were historically a horrible predictor for the eventual nomination.

he decided to pontificate instead of sticking to the one thing he was good at

live by the data die by the data

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

GobiasIndustries posted:

The best temperament!

presidential as gently caress

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Bip Roberts posted:

Nate and Harry had long pontifications about how Trump still had no chance after he came in right at his polling in NH and SC.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Schnorkles posted:

I think looking at the election from the lens of, well, now does raise some questions. How competitive was Rubio? I mean, honestly. The republican party LIKES what Trump is selling. It's not just a measure of there not being another good candidate or something, it's that Trump actually put his finger on the pulse of the national party and is probably the closest to what they wanted.

Rubio coming in strong to NH would have changed the timbre of the election, but would he have won? Impossible to say obviously, but it's actually interesting to look at this election a slightly different way in that the GOP field actually was fairly strong and Trump just had a better read on the electorate than all of them and was able, through his own unique gifts with the media, to position himself ahead of savvy and talented politicians.

Trump definitely got a few things right - by virtue of being the biggest loudmouth dick in the room and the sole driver of TV ratings he was able to frame the terms of the debate into something resembling a reality show, where the goal isn't to prove you would be a better president but rather to absolutely humiliate all your opponents. Which he did.

This doesn't get talked about much but there's something to be said about Trump constantly referring to his poll numbers during debates and interviews...I've never seen another candidate do that

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

kristol had a few good burns this cycle it's true

just another sign that reality is fracturing

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

kristol's twitter pic is always trolling anybody everywhere

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yinlock posted:

What has Lil' Marco been up to these last few months?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

JAMOOOL posted:

Trump definitely got a few things right - by virtue of being the biggest loudmouth dick in the room and the sole driver of TV ratings he was able to frame the terms of the debate into something resembling a reality show, where the goal isn't to prove you would be a better president but rather to absolutely humiliate all your opponents. Which he did.

This doesn't get talked about much but there's something to be said about Trump constantly referring to his poll numbers during debates and interviews...I've never seen another candidate do that

The poll thing was really interesting and still is [when he can find one]. You don't normally see them turned into political fodder like that.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

iospace posted:

I bet he got that from the random hot dog vendor that asked him a very specific question on the street and chortled.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

presidential as gently caress

Right? He realized his mistake and deleted the tweet.

...because of the misspelling:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/779729180334387200

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/779662636770353152

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
its so thinkable yet unthinkable
president trump
prob will be the best presient ever

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
"there, now this tweet is flawless"

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

a professor who would wear that tie is probably right about bold predictions a lot

also he probably would unironically say BAZINGA

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

cams posted:

steinrokkan posted:

yes

but so are you

i picture this like a pair of janitors walking into a room where a mass of wriggling squids just popped into existence, sighing, and then getting to work w pushbrooms

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Finally saw my first Trump ad. As in a legitimate "I'm Donald Trump, and I approve this message" ad.

It was basically "OH HE'S GREAT" with little actual substance.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/779730442098470912

I think ME-2 is going to go to Trump this year.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

lol @ gary johnson being relevant

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Pon de Bundy posted:

a professor who would wear that tie is probably right about bold predictions a lot

also he probably would unironically say BAZINGA

Several of these "full proof systems" predicted Mitt Romney in 2012. Political Science models for predicting elections work until they don't, news at 11.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

iospace posted:

Finally saw my first Trump ad. As in a legitimate "I'm Donald Trump, and I approve this message" ad.

It was basically "OH HE'S GREAT" with little actual substance.

Yeah, I've only seen a couple of Trump ads but they're all the barest bones of generic political ads. Its very clear the campaign has put no effort in it all and someone just rolled out some template.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The thing i love best about the Deplorables thing is that polling shows the majority of Americans actually agree with the label so really all trumpers are doing by labelling themselves deplorable is signaling to the majority of americans tgst theyre super lovely people.

Theyre making themselves look worse somehow

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Right? He realized his mistake and deleted the tweet.

...because of the misspelling:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/779729180334387200

who the gently caress still cares about gennifer flowers

plenty i assume

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Schnorkles posted:

Several of these "full proof systems" predicted Mitt Romney in 2012. Political Science models for predicting elections work until they don't, news at 11.

its pretty much the smug guy at the roulette table going "see? always bet on black" when it hits black

:smug:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

quote:

We will explain in a subsequent editorial why we believe Mr. Trump to be the worst nominee put forward by a major party in modern American history.

lookin' forward to this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Schnorkles posted:

The best part was all the models that "predicted" the past X elections by using the data from those elections to design the model in the first place. :doh:

• Locked thread