Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Real life ATC appends "Heavy" to the callsign of any aircraft with a maximum gross takeoff weight of 300,000 lbs or more. I think it's kind of a cool addition to Elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I kitted an Asp for light exploration / CG running / moving around, clean drives 1 + fsd range 1 gave me a 300 m/s, 26ly laden ship with 96 cargo space. Since I only fitted a 3A shield I thought I 'd give a try to mine launchers. 4 small on primary, 2 medium on secondary.

Promptly got interdicted by a pirate Eagle and shat 4 mines at it from my small hardpoints while running away. Holy poo poo :stare: it got wiped out in one second, and rebuying 4 mines is only 250 credits or so. I didn't think they were so effective, I guess firing all of them could gently caress up even a clipper.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Real life ATC appends "Heavy" to the callsign of any aircraft with a maximum gross takeoff weight of 300,000 lbs or more. I think it's kind of a cool addition to Elite.

The callsign they've been using for me is Foxtrot Alpha Tango - It's a Diamondback Scout, and definitely doesn't merit a Heavy. Though that'd be funny.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TorakFade posted:

I kitted an Asp for light exploration / CG running / moving around, clean drives 1 + fsd range 1 gave me a 300 m/s, 26ly laden ship with 96 cargo space. Since I only fitted a 3A shield I thought I 'd give a try to mine launchers. 4 small on primary, 2 medium on secondary.

Promptly got interdicted by a pirate Eagle and shat 4 mines at it from my small hardpoints while running away. Holy poo poo :stare: it got wiped out in one second, and rebuying 4 mines is only 250 credits or so. I didn't think they were so effective, I guess firing all of them could gently caress up even a clipper.

You know how people have been saying “get mines” whenever interdictions are brought up?
Well… welcome to the reason why. :D

And yes, short of various curious glitches, 4 launchers — even the small ones — will kill pretty much anything that will come after you.

Exit Strategy posted:

The callsign they've been using for me is Foxtrot Alpha Tango - It's a Diamondback Scout, and definitely doesn't merit a Heavy. Though that'd be funny.

That's because your pilot name starts that way.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Exit Strategy posted:

Your callsign is your first three letters of your name.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Conskill posted:

Neat! That's something I didn't know.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Also your ship manufacturer!

So if your flying a Diamonback Scout and your name is Commander Butt your callsign would be Lakon Bravo Uniform Tango.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I am a returning player, I haven't played much since Engineers update arrived and I am piloting python for some RES bounty hunting and stuff (basically multipurpose). I read that pythons were nerfed (or AI was buffed) in 2.1, should I switch to some other ship (although there is probably no other similar multipurpose ship?), are pythons doing better in beta or should I just do the engineers stuff to get my hands on some useful upgrades and everything will be wonderful again?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dwesa posted:

I am a returning player, I haven't played much since Engineers update arrived and I am piloting python for some RES bounty hunting and stuff (basically multipurpose). I read that pythons were nerfed (or AI was buffed) in 2.1, should I switch to some other ship (although there is probably no other similar multipurpose ship?), are pythons doing better in beta or should I just do the engineers stuff to get my hands on some useful upgrades and everything will be wonderful again?

Python is still great, just not an invincible murdertank anymore. Higher level NPCs have engineer upgrades so they do more damage and are often nimbler and tougher than they used to be, and a non engineered python is kind of slow and clumsy so you can actually get killed if you're not careful.

It's still by far the best multirole ship, if you take the time to upgrade it just a little you're going to be just fine

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Can the python carry fighters?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Slashrat posted:

Can the python carry fighters?

No.

Fighter carriers are:
- Keelback
- Beluga
- Type 9
- Anaconda
- Corvette
- Cutter

e: also the Fed Gunship

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 24, 2016

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Conskill posted:

oh wow I never would have figured this out

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

No.

Fighter carriers are:
- Keelback
- Beluga
- Type 9
- Anaconda
- Corvette
- Cutter

Federal Gunship, too.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

Just like Frontier :parrot:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

No.

Fighter carriers are:
- Keelback
- Beluga
- Type 9
- Anaconda
- Corvette
- Cutter

Thought the Federal Gunship has a fighter bay.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Just like Frontier :parrot:

We're never gonna get cool FGunship paint jobs beyond the basic vibrant/military/etc packs, and that makes me sad.

And while I'm whining about the Gunship, it really needs another internal slot or two.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

YellerBill posted:

We're never gonna get cool FGunship paint jobs beyond the basic vibrant/military/etc packs, and that makes me sad.

And while I'm whining about the Gunship, it really needs another internal slot or two.

I would love an engineer that lets me oversize one internal slot or maybe split one compartment into two smaller ones.

In other words: I want to put a 5A scoop in a 4 slot or break a size two compartment into two size ones....

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Just the ability to fit an Adv Discovery Scanner alongside a Detailed Surface Scanner into a Size 2 slot would be super practical.

Question: Do Shields regenerate when under fire or is there a required cool down period? Important for Bi-weave vs. regular shield decision for my Anaconda.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Just the ability to fit an Adv Discovery Scanner alongside a Detailed Surface Scanner into a Size 2 slot would be super practical.

Question: Do Shields regenerate when under fire or is there a required cool down period? Important for Bi-weave vs. regular shield decision for my Anaconda.

I cant find any reliable data to be honest, but id recommend Bi-weave in any scenario that isnt 1v1 pvp.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

There's a cooldown period.

quote:

Well, the fighter hangar comes with replacement parts...so you lost the 1 fighter you had launched, but your hangar automatically began assembling a new fighter after that and what you saw happening was the new fighter being produced and ready to use. (That's why there's a Class 6 and class 7 hangar, despite them both only allowing you 2 fighters: the class 7 allows you to store more replacements.)

So...working as intended!

It's a bit of a stretch, in terms of physical space...I just treat it as very efficient miniaturization, engineering & robotics technology to be found in the 3300s. :) edit: Though to be fair, for the amount of space you could stick 32/64/128 tons of cargo in, I guess there *would* be plenty room to store all those spare parts!

True, but it seems to make them rather too cheap.
You're using them to protect a ship worth 100's of million. I hope when it gets to release a fighter bay or the fighters in it are quite expensive to justify this mechanic.

Edit: :negative:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

You get a bunch of them because they are fragile as hell.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Suffer along with me :unsmigghh:

Feast your eyes with this thread on whether fighters should require ranks or not

quote:

It wouldn't have to be a high rank, but they should be locked.

quote:

Agreed. Not saying there should be a high rank but do you expect me to believe that the federation and empire would dish out their 3d printing blueprints for their fighters to just anyone?

quote:

It's just there are *still* hardly any rewards for ranking, ship fighters would add something at least to the incredibly bland tapestry that is naval ranking.

These people are well and truly insane

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Well, if it's just some minor rank that's OK. There's still the Taipan as unranked fighter for everyone, after all. Just make it rank 1 for the others, that's easy enough for even newbies to achieve, done.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I used a self designed charity mission bot that worked(for between 20 minutes and 10 hours at a time) to get max rank with both empire and federation. I can honestly say that if I had to do that legitimately I would be dead irl.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
How about if naval rank gave you access to special navy pilots with either reduced cost or special perks like affinity bonuses when flying the matching faction's fighter. There does need to be either more unlocks tied to the naval rank system or some way to drastically accelerate the process.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

timn posted:

How about if naval rank gave you access to special navy pilots with either reduced cost or special perks like affinity bonuses when flying the matching faction's fighter. There does need to be either more unlocks tied to the naval rank system or some way to drastically accelerate the process.

Talk about a slap in the face.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The fuckers want to suck whatever fun was left in this game out with dumbass "immersion" garbage, until only other lame forumdads are the only peope left playing it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

timn posted:

That's a nice idea! You should post it on the official forums so the Frontier-devs get a chance to read it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

As a bonus, these are probably people who already have the ranks required.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think the whole naval rank system should be redone. For a start it's dumb that most pilots will join the US and Russian navy at the same time to get the ships. And it sucks to lock the ships behind such a grind in the first place.

I say make 'salvaged' or demilitarised versions of both faction ships and fighters available to anyone to buy. Perhaps make them look a bit more stripped down or scrappier to reflect their origins (?). Then keep only the original 'military' versions rank-locked, with maybe a small stat advantage (or just cosmetic, non salvaged appearance?) for people who want to actually want to play as a loyal servant of the empire or whatever.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

I assume it was slightly more tolerable when you could realistically buy your way there, but running hundreds of data delivery missions or whatever is just :barf:

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 25, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Boogalo posted:

And "earned" those ranks while it was insanely easy to do so.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

And "earned" those ranks while it was insanely easy to do so.

"I don't see why kids these days can't just get a good job in the space navy. They must be lazy!"

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

I think the whole naval rank system should be redone. For a start it's dumb that most pilots will join the US and Russian navy at the same time to get the ships. And it sucks to lock the ships behind such a grind in the first place.

I say make 'salvaged' or demilitarised versions of both faction ships and fighters available to anyone to buy. Perhaps make them look a bit more stripped down or scrappier to reflect their origins (?). Then keep only the original 'military' versions rank-locked, with maybe a small stat advantage (or just cosmetic, non salvaged appearance?) for people who want to actually want to play as a loyal servant of the empire or whatever.
How about each navy just gives you access to black market versions of their counterpart's ships, for a premium? You could explain it by saying it's for false flag ops or something (because of my immersion).

Also I hate to be an '84er (well, '93er), but I'm sure in Frontier you could only rank up in a single navy too. If you tried to join the other one they'd tell you to piss off.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Military installations should offer missions that are themed around naval actions and offer no rewards except drastically increased naval rank exp. If you want to grind out naval rank, you can do it more quickly by actually serving in the navy doing navy things.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

tooterfish posted:

How about each navy just gives you access to black market versions of their counterpart's ships, for a premium? You could explain it by saying it's for false flag ops or something (because of my immersion).

Also I hate to be an '84er (well, '93er), but I'm sure in Frontier you could only rank up in a single navy too. If you tried to join the other one they'd tell you to piss off.

The joining both navy things does set off my inner :spergin: I admit it. I don't see why it couldn't be replaced with some kind of reputation-y equivalent. I mean in the empire you can go from weirdo outsider nobody knows to having a noble title which makes a bit of sense and is compatible with being liked in the federation too. But for the feds apparently most players are literally an admiral or whatever.

though knowing FDEV/the fanbase, there will probably soon be some really off lore released explaining how it's totally possible rather than just doing something that makes sense in the first place (see also - ship transfer times)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm still amused with how the naval rank system works, since it results in weird stuff like me being a Prince of the Empire, even though I absolutely despise the Empire. Now that I have all the Imperial ships I want, the Empire will only get my middlefinger from now on.

If Frontier ever adds Alliance naval ranks, I'll probably be one of the highest ranking "defectors" to the enemy. :v:

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Strategic Tea posted:

The joining both navy things does set off my inner :spergin: I admit it. I don't see why it couldn't be replaced with some kind of reputation-y equivalent. I mean in the empire you can go from weirdo outsider nobody knows to having a noble title which makes a bit of sense and is compatible with being liked in the federation too. But for the feds apparently most players are literally an admiral or whatever.

Yeah, for the Empire it looks like you're advancing in their society and gaining honorary/landless titles, which in mah headcanon is a reasonable thing to be doing.

The Federation is just screwy. Which is why all good and noble pilots fly for the Empire. :colbert:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Conskill posted:

Yeah, for the Empire it looks like you're advancing in their society and gaining honorary/landless titles, which in mah headcanon is a reasonable thing to be doing.

The Federation is just screwy. Which is why all good and noble pilots fly for the Empire. :colbert:

Counterpoint: de jure slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

timn posted:

If you want to grind out naval rank, you can do it more quickly by actually serving in the navy doing navy things.

Mission: Complete annual computer based training on proper use of fire extinguishers.

Edit: You don't get any rank increase for doing it, but if you don't take the mission your rank goes down.

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 25, 2016

• Locked thread