Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zore posted:

Why do we need a special False Swipe?

You don't use False Swipe to do damage :psyduck: it really shouldn't matter which attack stat it runs off.

So more pokemon have access to it so you the player have an easier time to get it on something worth using. You absolutely do use it to do damage, you just don't use it to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I run False Swipe on Farfetch'd with Swordsdance, Foresight, and I forget the fourth. Fly I think, because I needed the HM slave.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Zore posted:

You don't use False Swipe to do damage :psyduck: it really shouldn't matter which attack stat it runs off.

I don't think we "need" one, but using false swipe to catch Mewtwo with pressure and barrier was a gotdamn pain

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Chill Penguin posted:

In addition to a physical HP, we also need a special False Swipe. When can we expect that, Mabel?

Hold Back would have been a perfect opportunity for a special False Swipe, but no, also physical :shrug:

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Zore posted:

Because I want to use my Butterfree for item finding AND catching.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

For people asking about getting into competitive play, this is a really neat video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PncY7iZb1c

It's a multi-battle with 4 players, so it's not exactly representative of the VGC metagame (of course it changes year to year anyway) but it has two players talking to each other about every play. The team is Aaron "Cybertron" Zheng and Barry "Baz" Anderson vs this year's world champion Wolfe Glick and his teammate Markus Stadter.

There should be a link to the other team's stream but despite being an excellent player and team builder, Wolfe isn't much of a live commentator.

And this isn't the best showcase for team building but I really like Baz's style. He tends to use faster/less defensive pokemon than the standard "bulky offense" pokemon that players like Aaron Zheng tend to favor, and Baz tends to play more aggressively and use more disruptive tactics than most players. I beat him in a nugget bridge tournament once, and he's definitely a better player than I am, but he's probably the worlds calibur player who's playstyle is closest to mine.

In contrast, Wolfe tends to play much more defensively and often incorporates stall tactics. His teams tend to be eccentric and he's big on combo play. He's a cool guy and I'm glad he finally won a world championship.

Ruggington posted:

I will not rest until there is a physical hidden power(gsc and adv don't count)

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Natural_Gift_(move)

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
I keep assorted odd job Pokémon in a separate box, including but not limited to: a Gallade for catching (bred for roamers), a Bibarel and Tropius as HM mules, a Talonflame for hatching eggs, a Nincada who's only purpose is to faint and have compoundeyes, a Noivern to frisk and steal items, a legion of Meowths to pick up items, and several Combee to farm honey.

That's to say nothing of my collection of Ralts and Kirlia with synchronize.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

this isn't the time for jokes

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ruggington posted:

this isn't the time for jokes

Natural Gift makes more sense in shorter matches, such as, 3v3 singles,

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
B n

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Natural Gift makes more sense in shorter matches, such as, 3v3 singles,

I wasn't really aware of the move until someone used it in gen 5 VGC on their scizor as a way to counter other scizors (scissors?)

cheetah7071 posted:

What niche is this team missing that I should fill with the sixth slot (aiming at battle spot, not showdown):

Garchomp@Choice Band
Gardevoir@Gardevoirite
Breloom@Focus Band
Serperior@Rocky Helmet
Tyranitar@Assault Vest

If you're doing battlespot singles, I've heard mega-chomp + tyranitar + tailwind is a good combo. I never play battlespot singles but I've heard it was all over the place in XY.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

notoriousman posted:

I keep assorted odd job Pokémon in a separate box, including but not limited to: a Gallade for catching (bred for roamers), a Bibarel and Tropius as HM mules, a Talonflame for hatching eggs, a Nincada who's only purpose is to faint and have compoundeyes, a Noivern to frisk and steal items, a legion of Meowths to pick up items, and several Combee to farm honey.

That's to say nothing of my collection of Ralts and Kirlia with synchronize.

So you're saying - Pokemon are just tools to you?

...I put False Swipe on my Pangoro (Pam) and she was the loving MVP, though almost eclipsed by fellow HM slave Swanna (Signet) who was incredible in the Pokemon League, despite only being there to fly and surf me places. Ducklett's adorable but Swanna is weird-looking.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

HopperUK posted:

So you're saying - Pokemon are just tools to you?

...I put False Swipe on my Pangoro (Pam) and she was the loving MVP, though almost eclipsed by fellow HM slave Swanna (Signet) who was incredible in the Pokemon League, despite only being there to fly and surf me places. Ducklett's adorable but Swanna is weird-looking.

Swanna is basically just Carl from Aqua Teen Hunter Force and that's great.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Ducklett's adorable but Swanna is weird-looking.

My level 100 Ducklett, Joe Duck, is my dedicated HM guy for exactly this reason. I love him.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

In contrast, Wolfe tends to play much more defensively and often incorporates stall tactics. His teams tend to be eccentric and he's big on combo play. He's a cool guy and I'm glad he finally won a world championship.
I was initially turned off from Wolfe because of Verlisify's accusation of him using a hacked Raichu, but then I remembered that Verlisify is an insufferable man child.

It's a shame because he otherwise posts fairly interesting videos.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I was initially turned off from Wolfe because of Verlisify's accusation of him using a hacked Raichu, but then I remembered that Verlisify is an insufferable man child.

It's a shame because he otherwise posts fairly interesting videos.

I just typed in 'VGC' on youtube search and these were all on the first page.

Verlisify is a tool. I'm not saying it's wrong to be concerned or annoyed with competitive players for using hacked pokemon but there's more constructive ways to express that than clickbait callout videos.

Anyway, Wolfey can be really creative with his tactics, although it's important for new players to understand that a tactic without a strategy is just a gimmick. That being said, never stop experimenting, you never know what you could find, even by accident (like the last example in this video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYwvjBqyvpE

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Lol Verlisify is a bigger bitch than I thought.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Whoah that dude is so fuckin salty

I don't understand why any hacking that's done simply as a shortcut would make people upset? So long as the stats and moves are legal what does it matter?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I've never understood why anyone should care about bypassing the slog of breeding. some people like it, sure, but a lot of other people just look at it as tedious busywork and ignore the whole thing

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Waffles Inc. posted:

Whoah that dude is so fuckin salty

I don't understand why any hacking that's done simply as a shortcut would make people upset? So long as the stats and moves are legal what does it matter?

Yeah this is my first time hearing of this guy so I went to watch the video and...hes mad that Raichu is in an illegal pokeball. Come the gently caress on man literally no one gives a poo poo. As long as the stats and moves are real, its fair!! The rules exist to ensure fairness! Not to bitch about pokeballs, drat.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Competitive Pokémon isn't about efficiency. It's a pet show, where you have to train your "pets" to be legitimate. You actually have to be connected to your Pokemon but cheaters think the game is merely artificial. Time to join a less common to cheat community, verlis.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, or else Nintendo would just gen the pokemon for the competitors. I don't know if I'd call cheating fair but just in general pokemon isn't fair competitively. If you want certain moves legit you might have to own a GC, a copy of the GC game, a DS with a GBA slot, a GBA game and a DS game, etc. And then you'd have to spend literal months praying to the RNG gods to bless you. At that point, cheating still isn't fair but I'd call it more fair than expecting people to go through all of that? At this point Nintendo isn't even making money off of any of those products so they wouldn't have any reason to even promote that.

edit: I mean, I own most of that stuff in a closet somewhere maybe but some of the people playing on a competitive level weren't even born before some of those devices/games were out of production.

edit2: v Probably one of the safari ball variants?

Decus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 25, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Two decades of games have taught us that thinking of pokemon only as tools for victory is a thought that an rear end in a top hat would think. The games themselves explicitly call it out as wrong. It's not surprising that people who don't put in the legwork of training their own pokemon are treated as heels.

I'm struggling to think what kind of ball it would be illegal for a Raichu, of all things, to occupy, however.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Decus posted:

Yeah, or else Nintendo would just gen the pokemon for the competitors. I don't know if I'd call cheating fair but just in general pokemon isn't fair competitively. If you want certain moves legit you might have to own a GC, a copy of the GC game, a DS with a GBA slot, a GBA game and a DS game, etc. And then you'd have to spend literal months praying to the RNG gods to bless you. At that point, cheating still isn't fair but I'd call it more fair than expecting people to go through all of that? At this point Nintendo isn't even making money off of any of those products so they wouldn't have any reason to even promote that.

Starting with gen 6 they cut off all pre-gen6 pokemon from being elligle in VGC.

Bongo Bill posted:

Two decades of games have taught us that thinking of pokemon only as tools for victory is a thought that an rear end in a top hat would think. The games themselves explicitly call it out as wrong. It's not surprising that people who don't put in the legwork of training their own pokemon are treated as heels.

I'm struggling to think what kind of ball it would be illegal for a Raichu, of all things, to occupy, however.

Raichu can't have both a hidden ability and a HGSS exclusive ball.

Also if you don't think pokemon are just tools, then you're a tool.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 25, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Starting with gen 6 they cut off all pre-gen6 pokemon from being elligle in VGC.

Oh, good. I remember them opening up Battle Spot to non-pentagon but never checked to see if they carried that into actual tournaments. That was so dumb for Battle Spot.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
It's not even the first time a worlds champ has been outed, Sejun Park was renowned for openly cheating the wifi tournaments to secure national invitations :laugh:

Then there was the whole Ray Rizzo/Dream Ball, etc. Rafza posted earlier that it's pretty much an unspoken agreement that yes, everyone is going to cheat, but people got lazy at covering their tracks over the past couple of years and it's breaking the facade really badly.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Didn't they make it so that fathers can pass hidden abilities if rarely?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Akett posted:

Yeah, something like a 20% chance

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i dont mind people cheating as long as the end result is legal but its annoying when they get lazy and put things in impossible pokeballs. thats my take

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bongo Bill posted:

The games say that making Pokémon into tools for fighting is wrong, but the actual underlying mechanics mandate a sustained program of literal eugenics, so

Akett posted:

Only with Ditto.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Also if you don't think pokemon are just tools, then you're a tool.

Ah, I forgot that males can only pass down hidden abilities when breeding with Ditto. For some reason I thought that wasn't the case.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Emalde posted:

It's not even the first time a worlds champ has been outed, Sejun Park was renowned for openly cheating the wifi tournaments to secure national invitations :laugh:

Then there was the whole Ray Rizzo/Dream Ball, etc. Rafza posted earlier that it's pretty much an unspoken agreement that yes, everyone is going to cheat, but people got lazy at covering their tracks over the past couple of years and it's breaking the facade really badly.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy in the finals next year.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sharrrk posted:

i dont mind people cheating as long as the end result is legal but its annoying when they get lazy and put things in impossible pokeballs. thats my take

all pokemon should be able to be in any pokeball imo

let people swap out the pokeballs their pokemon are in. I mean, why not? it's not like it even matters, it's just a neat cosmetic thing to put something in a ball that matches it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

something i thought would be cool is if you showed the guy in the pokeball boutique a pokemon, he'd start selling the ball it's in. so the gen 4 balls obviously. but that didn't happen

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I would just like cosmetic pokeballs to be a thing. Just, like, gimmie a dozen variations of the base pokeball.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the gen4 balls gotta be in sumo it's gotta happen

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well, we've seen that for the first time in history NPCs have Pokemon in non-standard Pokeballs (We've seen an Ultra Ball on Guzma and I think there was a Safari Ball used by someone else), so maybe there will be more Pokeball customisation options. When's the time if not now?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kikas posted:

Well, we've seen that for the first time in history NPCs have Pokemon in non-standard Pokeballs (We've seen an Ultra Ball on Guzma and I think there was a Safari Ball used by someone else), so maybe there will be more Pokeball customisation options. When's the time if not now?

Agreed--make them money-sinks like the clothing. Literally there should be Pokeball Boutiques

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I finally started messing around with Showdown tonight.

Little Cup is so much fun. :swoon:

Vandar fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
What's the nickname you guys are most proud of? I end up naming mine after characters in TV shows I'm watching most of the time but some people are a lot more clever than that.