Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
So this has become my new favorite assault hands down.
EXE-C Laser Smackdown
Also, I've found you can get alot more out of the jumpjets if you MASC into the jump and let the momentum carry you.

Doing pretty well with it too. (Only screenshotted last 2 matches)

Would never take it on an invasion though. Would be a flaming trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

I haven't seen that vid in a while but that one had him landing headshots on an enemy far away from him that was either stationary or headed right toward him, correct?

I haven't seen it help as much with leading people, is what I mean

yeah, that sounds p. Helios-y

That video had the guy making perfect shots in Canyon with people traversing sideways up and down the canyon walls. I'd say that it can handle leading.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

A.o.D. posted:

That video had the guy making perfect shots in Canyon with people traversing sideways up and down the canyon walls. I'd say that it can handle leading.

Ah OK, the one I saw was on Polar and it didn't look as impressive

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So loyalty mechs are around the corner, got myself 2 hellbringers for starters.
What 2 cataphracts will go well with the loyalty one?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Get the CTF-0XP. It doesn't look like much, but the ECM really helps. You can make a pretty mean deadside brawler, like so. Most people go for 4xML + AC20, but I absolutely swear by this thing.

The rest of the Cataphracts are negotiable, depends on what you like. The 1X you can make into a smaller laserdrill, the 4x does quad AC5s, the 3D has... jumpjets, I guess. Get the 0XP and whatever else floats your boat.

And yeah, I am loving the Executioners. Trying to get skills mastered on both the Kodiaks and Executioners right now, and while the KDK-3 is hands down the best, I honestly prefer the Executioners to the rest of the Kodiaks.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Is there another mech that dakka's similarly to the BJ-1? The dual AC2s and quad MLs are just hilarious. Ideally in the medium weight class because I love the ability to move 90kph and just dump rounds at range from safety.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Is there another mech that dakka's similarly to the BJ-1? The dual AC2s and quad MLs are just hilarious. Ideally in the medium weight class because I love the ability to move 90kph and just dump rounds at range from safety.

You can do 3 AC/2 with high mounts on this:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=110&l=f4c7e80c1f5893b47f731a4f0d050bd193704469

25% ballistic cooldown and 10% velocity, so not half-bad

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

You can do 3 AC/2 with high mounts on this:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=110&l=f4c7e80c1f5893b47f731a4f0d050bd193704469

25% ballistic cooldown and 10% velocity, so not half-bad

I actually run mine slightly slower, but with a STD engine and more armor on the arms for shielding. I find that running the AC2 dakka you're GOING to be taking some return fire, and having deadside mitigation helps alot.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=110&l=4a473b3bf625de08be93f30535f309a43844ddda

If you want to really make people go "but... why?" you could always grab a dragon.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=23&l=f6cb19a0a9914edfcf0a101583377a170869e381
I mean, it's a terrible idea. Just god-awful. But it theoretically sorta works I guess.
e: please don't do this. I will cry.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 24, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Rysithusiku posted:

I actually run mine slightly slower, but with a STD engine and more armor on the arms for shielding. I find that running the AC2 dakka you're GOING to be taking some return fire, and having deadside mitigation helps alot.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=110&l=4a473b3bf625de08be93f30535f309a43844ddda

If you want to really make people go "but... why?" you could always grab a dragon.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=23&l=f6cb19a0a9914edfcf0a101583377a170869e381
I mean, it's a terrible idea. Just god-awful. But it theoretically sorta works I guess.
e: please don't do this. I will cry.

man, I remember for like two months when the DRG-1N had 50% cooldown quirks on AC/5s.

Combine that with modules and you were looking at like a 62% cooldown reduction, which meant that despite a) all the firepower being in a low arm mount b) that required you to stare at the enemy c) with your humongous center torso, the -1N was actually a good robot

then they nerfed the cooldown rate -- and this will absolutely shock you -- and I haven't seen more than two or three -1Ns since

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

man, I remember for like two months when the DRG-1N had 50% cooldown quirks on AC/5s.

Combine that with modules and you were looking at like a 62% cooldown reduction, which meant that despite a) all the firepower being in a low arm mount b) that required you to stare at the enemy c) with your humongous center torso, the -1N was actually a good robot

then they nerfed the cooldown rate -- and this will absolutely shock you -- and I haven't seen more than two or three -1Ns since

probably people that left when it was still good and came back to play without checking if those quirks had changed.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Rysithusiku posted:

probably people that left when it was still good and came back to play without checking if those quirks had changed.

Most likely yeah

In general I think this game is at its best when each robot has a unique role. This is not always possible but oftentimes quirks are able to make it so.

Like the Grid Iron's original role when quirks were introduced was "rapid fire gauss glass cannon" and I don't think any other mech in the game came close to filling that specific role. The DRG-1N was "god-hand rapid-fire AC/5 skirmisher". The TDR-9S was a peerless ERPPC sniper.

Now they're just variants no-one plays anymore. Admittedly things could get out of hand (sometimes you'd get teams dropping with 12 TDR-9S in Faction Warfare and going against all those ERPPCs couldn't have been fun) but it really helped with playstyle variety.

I think these days the Hunchback line actually does the best job of this. All variants play very differently, partially due to hardpoints but also due to quirks. The -4SP, for example, doesn't have the damage potential of the SRM Griffins but it has a role on the battlefield as a medium you have to spend ages killing.

quirks are good and cool is what I'm saying.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I just spent most of a match spectating a Kodiak who never once fired his UAC10. Started with 180 rounds, ended with 180 rounds. also, his LL was only fired under 400m.
Three of us were yelling at him on voice to no avail.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Helios, obviously, doesn't exist in this game. All the cheatards were weeded out with that one pass.

Not validating veedub, but the poo poo is hilarious when you see it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

To make the LPLs perform in the same ballpark as the MPLs, you've had to sacrifice FIVE tons of other stuff. Five tons of equipment and armour on a 55-tonner. That's a lot.

Couple things that aren't immediately obvious from the builds.

2 srm6 packing 3 tons of ammo is 25 trigger pulls (300/12=25). 2 srm4 with 2 tons of ammo is ALSO the same amount of shots(200/8=25). Its a fairly straight weapon swap: they even have the same identical heat per second.

However, medium pulses are balls loving hot. The mpulse build runs 16 sinks with a 42% cooling efficiency. The second runs 14 with a 46% cooling efficiency - after double checking on smurphy thats a difference of 2 heat sinks's worth.

5 tons may sort of sound like a lot, but comparing the two you've got 4 tons of free heatsinks holding them side by side. And of the 1 spare ton difference, half of that is the second jump jet.

On the engine front, you'd be paying 3 tons for a 5.9 kph difference. And 5.2m cbills for an odd size. Why not at least find a half ton for the 325 with the extra engine sink.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

TheParadigm posted:

2 srm6 packing 3 tons of ammo is 25 trigger pulls (300/12=25). 2 srm4 with 2 tons of ammo is ALSO the same amount of shots(200/8=25). Its a fairly straight weapon swap: they even have the same identical heat per second.

However, medium pulses are balls loving hot. The mpulse build runs 16 sinks with a 42% cooling efficiency. The second runs 14 with a 46% cooling efficiency - after double checking on smurphy thats a difference of 2 heat sinks's worth.

5 tons may sort of sound like a lot, but comparing the two you've got 4 tons of free heatsinks holding them side by side. And of the 1 spare ton difference, half of that is the second jump jet.

On the engine front, you'd be paying 3 tons for a 5.9 kph difference. And 5.2m cbills for an odd size. Why not at least find a half ton for the 325 with the extra engine sink.

I love you, and your "math".

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I enjoy that since I already have the Cameron Star and the Dagger Warhorn I'm not particularly fussed about playing this event too much.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I just played a couple hours of quickplay today and managed to complete every challenge except the NG kmdd. Just didnt run into any today.
Pretty easy free stuff this time around.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

TheParadigm posted:

Half a ton of armour, half a ton of jump jets, two tons from the SRM launchers, one ton of ammo. That's four tons dropped which have nothing to do with energy weapons.

The fact that SRM4s are more efficient doesn't matter. If you're trying to compare MPLs to LPLs, you must keep the rest of the mech identical except for the weapon themselves and the heatsinks to support them. Otherwise the comparison is worthless.

Note that I'm not bashing you for saying "this GRF-1S LPL build is better than the MPL build"; I haven't played either, maybe that specific mech really wants more range. I'm bashing you for saying stuff like "you can just drop heatsinks to replace MPLs with LPLs and come out ahead" and "LPLs are pretty much 2 MPL stapled together with better range" , which is patently wrong.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yo, don't forget refire rates :eng101:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're doing hit and run, the MPL build gets an extra 2 DPS before heat becomes an issue then you run away so :shrug:

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014
I took a headshot last night from a jump sniping NG with guass. It was an EMP player and I was twisting at the time, at fairly close range (<50m). It might have been a lucky shot, I suppose...

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Woo, got my Ace of Spades title. In quick play no less!
That enemy team really hated me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

armchairyoda posted:

Helios, obviously, doesn't exist in this game. All the cheatards were weeded out with that one pass.

Not validating veedub, but the poo poo is hilarious when you see it.

That was my main point. It is super obvious when it happens. That being said, I ACTUALLY GOT SOMETHING DECENT OUT OF A SUPPLY CACHE.

I got another hamster huey. Last huey drat near died from asphyxiation, he needs a break.

Dual uac20, triple mpl is good stuff on the Night Gyr. Shame you can't put normal 20s or lbx in it though.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

That was my main point. It is super obvious when it happens. That being said, I ACTUALLY GOT SOMETHING DECENT OUT OF A SUPPLY CACHE.

I got another hamster huey. Last huey drat near died from asphyxiation, he needs a break.

Dual uac20, triple mpl is good stuff on the Night Gyr. Shame you can't put normal 20s or lbx in it though.

The customizability in many clanmechs genuinely confuses me. Like, in half of them you can strip out arm actuators for additional slots (obv, at the cost of functionality). But others, nope! Because then you might put an lbx20 in a night gyr and we don't want that.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It only has an upper arm actuator, so there's nothing to strip out. The problem with the Gyr is that it has a shitton of locked armor/structure due to having ferro and endo.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

It only has an upper arm actuator, so there's nothing to strip out. The problem with the Gyr is that it has a shitton of locked armor/structure due to having ferro and endo.

Ah, fair enough. tbh I haven't spent any actual time looking at the Night Gyr. I know it's rough specs but not really any more.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Rysithusiku posted:

Woo, got my Ace of Spades title. In quick play no less!

Good thing you got it in quick play, you can't do it in CW.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Didn't know that. Figured that'd be the easy way to get AoS and Death Star.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Any advice that can be given that will help advance me from being another pubbie bad?

Have plenty of the mechs that SHOULD do well...I realize that doing pugs here is much like repeatedly slamming forehead against a concrete wall.

I played quite a bit a while ago, but took a bit of a break - I dunno; Either the overall meta dynamic has changed dramatically, or I pretty much got the equivalent of the illusion that I did well early on, simply because there were people infinitely worse than me.

Not horribly valid for me now at T3! (for what it matters)

(Disclaimer : Understood that the chance of a facetious answer is currently at 68.235235%!)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Killer_B posted:

Any advice that can be given that will help advance me from being another pubbie bad?

Have plenty of the mechs that SHOULD do well...I realize that doing pugs here is much like repeatedly slamming forehead against a concrete wall.

I played quite a bit a while ago, but took a bit of a break - I dunno; Either the overall meta dynamic has changed dramatically, or I pretty much got the equivalent of the illusion that I did well early on, simply because there were people infinitely worse than me.

(Disclaimer : Understood that the chance of a facetious answer is currently at 68.235235%!)

The meta has changed if you're coming back. All of the maps favor long rage sniping, (jump sniping is back) and lrms with narc'ers. Some games people will push and you'll win, other games you'll just get sniped to pieces because your team is retarded.

Udoshi brought up something about how clan singles are actually a lot closer to clam doubles, and the commoner's build concept. Thoughts? This sort of theorycrafting only works on IIC mechs.

All The Single Lasers

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

veedubfreak posted:

Udoshi brought up something about how clan singles are actually a lot closer to clam doubles, and the commoner's build concept. Thoughts? This sort of theorycrafting only works on IIC mechs.

All The Single Lasers

Nope, it's poo poo. Drop endo and use DHS to reach equivalent cooling efficiency. Same build, but with 7.5 free tons and 4 free slots.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I assume a triple AC-10 CTF-IM is garbage?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Killer_B posted:

The current meta is the most varied it's been in quite some time. Laservomit, dakka, PPC jumpsniping, brawling, and sniping are all viable.

LRMs are still bad and will continue to be bad

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm loving crazy about guns

DRG-1N

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

With Endosteel and the stock engine I'm looking at 3.5 tons of ammo. Which seems a little light to me. On the other hand I've been running this on my Ilya.

Triple UAC5 Marmoset

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

correct. I'm the biggest ac10 fan but there's no way to make that work.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
what about duals?

ILYA MUROMETS

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

It was just a quick what if that came up. Figured it likely didn't work.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
also i'm trying to talk myself out of dropping 2k mc on vaporwave camo colors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Banano posted:

correct. I'm the biggest ac10 fan but there's no way to make that work.

You are mistaken.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=54&l=01aee866a1c448ceaa262d862ff3da87233593d3

3 AC10 IM is a fully funny build to play and one i really like.

• Locked thread