Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rodyle posted:

You know, I'm surprised Vegeta didn't just immediately punt Goku through a wall upon finding him in the bedroom. (Goku's ki sickness episode)

I'm pretty sure Vegeta knows Goku well enough by this point to know that Goku is basically asexual and is probably more confused about how he has two kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh man is this just going to be an arc about Baby Pan and the Pilaf Gang

e: Piccolo lecturing on how to care for pan

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I manned up and watched the Dragonball Z new movies. It was like 1998 since i last saw Toonami and all that.

Why isn't Beerus on the list?

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
I'm not sure we're ever going to see any of the female characters accomplish anything in this show. That's just a symptom of Japan's outdated views on women

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Big Mai has been cool and good in this current arc.
Little Mai is comic relief so eh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Every time a shounen anime introduces a cool girl who kicks rear end, and then by the end of the series she's sitting at home all day doing dishes and watching the kids, I die a little more inside.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I wouldn't judge Japan as a society so much based on a children's series by a 61 year old man.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would actually be okay with Big Mai settling down and having a family with Trunks, given the whole "the world is ending and has gone entirely to poo poo" thing. It's a bit more extenuating circumstances than the others have.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rodyle posted:

I wouldn't judge Japan as a society so much based on a children's series by a 61 year old man.

Yeah instead you can judge it by how their culture values women in the home more than elsewhere and other very obvious, very basic things that any one can look into to see "Yeah, Japan might have a few problems with women."

Or just look at other childrens media to see how women are treated compared to men. You know if you want to keep things in the geek circle.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Yeah, I mean we're literally wrapping up a simulwatch of a show with an awesome competent lady protagonist from the goddamn 80s right here on this board.

Burkion posted:

Yeah instead you can judge it by how their culture values women in the home more than elsewhere and other very obvious, very basic things that any one can look into to see "Yeah, Japan might have a few problems with women."

Or just look at other childrens media to see how women are treated compared to men. You know if you want to keep things in the geek circle.

Yeah, as opposed to all the other countries of the world that are perfectly feminist, egalitarian paradises. Spare me.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I haven't gotten to the Future Trunks stuff yet (and don't know why there's a Future Trunks edition of RoF) but I hope there's Kid/Future interactions.

Burkion posted:

I didn't say Japan doesn't have problems with women. I said that pointing to Dragonball of all things and going "YOU SEE, THAT'S WHAT /THEY'RE/ LIKE" is not great

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, I mean we're literally wrapping up a simulwatch of a show with an awesome competent lady protagonist from the goddamn 80s right here on this board.
Thats like saying theres no racism in the US because Eddie Murphy starred in Beverly Hills Cop.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, as opposed to all the other countries of the world that are perfectly feminist, egalitarian paradises. Spare me.

Literally nobody said that

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

If I can't trust a children's series by a 61 year old man what can I trust?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Andrast posted:

If I can't trust a children's series by a 61 year old man what can I trust?

A series by a 62 year old man.

Through the lens of second hand information of what I know from people who have been to, their media and such, Japan sure seems like it has a hosed up society where men work themselves to death 24/6 to provide a living for their housewives and children, and the ones who don't want to do that are locking themselves away and not wanting to go outside and no one wants to have children because it's all miserable.

That said, like the majority of people I'd wager, all I know is second hand and I've not lived there ever, never mind a length of time what would allow me to understand Japanese society so I can't say how close to the truth any of that is and like anyone else in the same boat as me, I am utterly unqualified to judge their society because it's not something I am part of or know. All I can say is, if everything I have been told is correct, it's lovely for everyone.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 24, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A series by a 62 year old man.

Do you have any recommendations?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eustace posted:

Thats like saying theres no racism in the US because Eddie Murphy starred in Beverly Hills Cop.

Eustace posted:

Literally nobody said that

What I'm saying is that using Dragon Ball of all things to try and talk about Japanese sexism in particular as opposed to sexism in the abstract is pretty dumb.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Andrast posted:

Do you have any recommendations?

Read Dragonball next year

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spiritus Nox posted:

You don't have to get so defensive mate, you aren't Japan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spiritus Nox posted:

What I'm saying is that using Dragon Ball of all things to try and talk about Japanese sexism in particular as opposed to sexism in the abstract is pretty dumb.

Unless you are saying sexism is inherent then you are wrong.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

first they came for the japanese sexists

and that was pretty ok, actually.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Look, they really need to get to making babies and they're all too busy watching anime so might as well try and get the message in that way.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Unless you are saying sexism is inherent then you are wrong.

That's...exactly what I'm saying? Like, sexism isn't a particularly Japanese phenomenon, and Dragonball's version of it certianly isn't. Surely we're not going to pretend that "get back in the kitchen!" is some foreign concept to the west? It just makes me roll my eyes to see that of all things being used to go all "Oh those Japanese, always neglecting their womenfolk :japan:" as though it's some wacky foreign problem.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well guys, it was a long time in coming but I'm happy that we here in the dragon ball megathread have finally solved sexism in japan

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

well guys, it was a long time in coming but I'm happy that we here in the dragon ball megathread have finally solved sexism in japan

The solution being no u

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm glad, GBS was never truly gone. It is within all of our hearts!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Actually, you'll find there was never any sexism in Japan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

At least until that fucker Perry.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

tsob posted:

That's not why Gohan trained. He initially fought as a gut reaction to his dad being hurt, then trained because his dad was dead and he didn't want the next villains to kill a poo poo load of people or blow up the planet. And because Piccolo was pushing him pretty hard. He trained mostly because he didn't want people getting hurt or dying, not because Goku did therefore he wanted to too.

Which was true up till Cell, and then between the death of Cell and the Great Saiyaman he seemed to lose the goal of training to protect people despite knowing he was the strongest fighter and best line of defence against any new threat, which he had no reason to suspect wouldn't come along at some point - instead picking up Chi Chi's dream that he study, despite not showing any real attachment to it prior to that beyond what she forced him to do.

Gohan wanted to be a professional baseball player like his idol.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I can't imagine why Videl wouldn't want to fight after after the tournament.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsGV4dseO_Q

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

she'd have won if she had the twintails.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I like how it looks like flight is gonna be relevant to the fight and then it just isn't.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Squallege posted:

I can't imagine why Videl wouldn't want to fight after after the tournament.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsGV4dseO_Q

sorry but a traumatic experience is not reason enough for these females to deviate from the path that Certain Individuals have chosen for them. They are just going to have to buck up and fight to the death over and over. it is willed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Krilin has experienced worse.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

sorry but a traumatic experience is not reason enough for these females to deviate from the path that Certain Individuals have chosen for them. They are just going to have to buck up and fight to the death over and over. it is willed.

Let's ask Prime Minister Abe for his opinion

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gohan experienced worse at twelve.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gohan experienced worse at twelve.

Worse at like 6. Remember him fighting Recoome?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2iXWHiy1dY

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kild posted:

Worse at like 6. Remember him fighting Recoome?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2iXWHiy1dY

Oh yet boy got his neck broke savagely.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Gohan has, after those things happened to him, retired from active duty, just like Krillin, 18, and Videl.

Hmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I like how dense your being it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gohan deserves death for just standing by while videl got brutalized like that

• Locked thread