Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

JawKnee posted:

right, and just failing the quests because you've attacked the people there is... out of the question?
But then the player would have locked themselves out of content and they might cry because they'd have to play the game multiple times to get all the achievements.:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

As Shank says places like Graygarden and Covenant become conquerable one you've 'resolved' their quests. Raiders don't want to be bothered with that poo poo.

Quest resolution, the Nuka-World way!

SEVEN
POINT
SIX
TWO
MILLIMETER

FULL
METAL
JACKET

poo poo, I bet that's why I can't get Zimonja and Croup back, because I murdered all the bots when I took over. :(

Except I *did* get everyplace else, like the Slog and Costal Cottage, even after clean-sweeping both in the takeover and the retaking.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Quest resolution, the Nuka-World way!

SEVEN
POINT
SIX
TWO
MILLIMETER

FULL
METAL
JACKET

poo poo, I bet that's why I can't get Zimonja and Croup back, because I murdered all the bots when I took over. :(

Except I *did* get everyplace else, like the Slog and Costal Cottage, even after clean-sweeping both in the takeover and the retaking.

Those are both lovely settlements anyway.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I mean, everything you can't do in a video game is the flip side of "This dlc took forever" or "It breaks when I do this."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dr.Smasher posted:

Those are both lovely settlements anyway.

The Slog is good.
Coastal Cottage would be OK if not for the broken cottage occupying most of the usable land I guess?
(Why can't I scrap that)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

If you beat the game with say, the Minutemen without ever joining any of the other factions do they still let you sign up afterwards or are they just like, "well, I guess we have other things to worry about now so we're not really looking for new recruits anymore sorry."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

The Slog is good.
Coastal Cottage would be OK if not for the broken cottage occupying most of the usable land I guess?
(Why can't I scrap that)

This is why Coastal Cottage is prime real estate for you to just populate with normal settlers, then enslave it as a vassal to raiders. They give you supplies and you never have to worry about building anything for those fools ever again.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Berke Negri posted:

If you beat the game with say, the Minutemen without ever joining any of the other factions do they still let you sign up afterwards or are they just like, "well, I guess we have other things to worry about now so we're not really looking for new recruits anymore sorry."

from what I recall the leaders get huffy and won't talk to you, and the occasional member will still try and give you a mission to blow up another faction

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I wish settlers would gradually restore structures at places like Coastal Cottage instead of just being content to live in the middle of rotting shitholes full of mirelurk corpses and 200 year-old skeletons. Unlock a workshop, place a beacon, maybe leave them some wood and concrete, then come back in a few days or a few weeks to find the floors and walls patched and something resembling a roof overhead.

There's much worse than Coastal Cottage though. I know I'd go AWOL if some rear end in a top hat Minuteman general sent me to live at that construction site in the middle of the swamp.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Coastal Cottage at least has a nice clear cliff you can ring buildings around it (with mindful placement its possible to lay a new floor foundation and more or less fill in the holes in the ground/board up the walls but the time I did it it didn't look all that much better anyways) but yeah Murkwater Construction site is probably the most ugly of all potential settlements. Most frustrating was probably the lumber site in Far Harbor because it comes with a nice row of standing vendor stalls that are just right outside of the buildable area.

One thing I was disappointed with was there was never any settlement quest to rebuild Quincy or University Point, both of those would have been cool spots plus with Quincy at least kind of satisfyingly tie up some loose ends. That or really any kind of urban settlement locations, I would have liked being able to at least pacify some parts of downtown around Diamond City, the closest you get is Hangman's Alley and that's, well,

JawKnee posted:

from what I recall the leaders get huffy and won't talk to you, and the occasional member will still try and give you a mission to blow up another faction

Yeah, that's sort of what I've heard but nothing specific I've been able to find. I'm just curious how everything breaks down differently, for instance if you just beeline straight to the Institute with the Minutemen's help never once chatting with the BoS and help them blow it up does Dr. Li escape/die regardless of whether you hit the evacuation alarm, then you definitely can't do the quest to reboot Liberty Prime so do they just hand you out the radiant quests, etc. The Railroad only tries to destroy the BoS after you progress far enough in their questline that the BoS attacks them, do you blow up the Institute and then they're like well, good that that's over, now let's talk about destroying the BoS or does it just not come up? If you didn't join either faction at all do they even say anything to you but "thanks" and you're locked out of their radiant quests/weave/vertibirds?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Berke Negri posted:

Coastal Cottage at least has a nice clear cliff you can ring buildings around it (with mindful placement its possible to lay a new floor foundation and more or less fill in the holes in the ground/board up the walls but the time I did it it didn't look all that much better anyways) but yeah Murkwater Construction site is probably the most ugly of all potential settlements. Most frustrating was probably the lumber site in Far Harbor because it comes with a nice row of standing vendor stalls that are just right outside of the buildable area.

One thing I was disappointed with was there was never any settlement quest to rebuild Quincy or University Point, both of those would have been cool spots plus with Quincy at least kind of satisfyingly tie up some loose ends. That or really any kind of urban settlement locations, I would have liked being able to at least pacify some parts of downtown around Diamond City, the closest you get is Hangman's Alley and that's, well,

Yeah, that's sort of what I've heard but nothing specific I've been able to find. I'm just curious how everything breaks down differently, for instance if you just beeline straight to the Institute with the Minutemen's help never once chatting with the BoS and help them blow it up does Dr. Li escape/die regardless of whether you hit the evacuation alarm, then you definitely can't do the quest to reboot Liberty Prime so do they just hand you out the radiant quests, etc. The Railroad only tries to destroy the BoS after you progress far enough in their questline that the BoS attacks them, do you blow up the Institute and then they're like well, good that that's over, now let's talk about destroying the BoS or does it just not come up? If you didn't join either faction at all do they even say anything to you but "thanks" and you're locked out of their radiant quests/weave/vertibirds?

There is a Dr Li replacement in Diamond City just in case Dr Li is not available, actually.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Midnight Voyager posted:

There is a Dr Li replacement in Diamond City just in case Dr Li is not available, actually.

Please tell me it is the Science! "doctor".

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Berke Negri posted:

Please tell me it is the Science! "doctor".

One of them! It makes the other sad when her girlfriend leaves.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Coastal Cottage at least has a nice clear cliff you can ring buildings around it (with mindful placement its possible to lay a new floor foundation and more or less fill in the holes in the ground/board up the walls but the time I did it it didn't look all that much better anyways) but yeah Murkwater Construction site is probably the most ugly of all potential settlements.

I save the lovely sites for the Pack. I mean, they like living like animals right?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I save the lovely sites for the Pack. I mean, they like living like animals right?

If they liked living, they wouldn't have crossed me. :unsmigghh:

Oh cool, somehow Croup finally popped up as CLEARED, lemme go turn on the work...

DANGER

<insert sound of twelve laser turrets firing>

This is with the only power source physically powered off.
The power turned off on the radio tower connecting the Vault parts to the turrets.
The actual wire connecting the tower to the first turret placed into workbench storage.
(No other power or connections, so kill the first turret and the defenses are toast anyway, riiight?)

Cue build mode, repairing (when necessary) and placing all turrets in workbench while they're still shooting me gently caress. :argh:

Rebuilt defenses and saved, so Croup is back under my control. Now I need to somehow complete the Egret Tours recruitment mission with no one there. And Graygarden, which is chock-full of settlers and robots and no one wants to tell me about the ghouls/Super Mutants/kidnapping...

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

The Lone Badger posted:

(Why can't I scrap that)

I pity console squalor. Does XBone have Scrap Anything? If so, and you're on XBone, (Edit: it doesn't) it's very useful - even if you don't want to scrap things like busted-up buildings just to keep the character of a settlement area, there is always going to be a rock, or a tree cluster, or even a shrubbery that you just want gone. That goddamn shrubbery is the worst; I can think of no reason why you shouldn't be able to scrap it. For that matter, things like "trash" and "debris" have literally no reason to be permanent. Plus, you've got like, 8-10 houses in Sanctuary AND the ability to build shacks out of corrugated metal - but you can't fix a roof? pfft.

I turned Coastal Cottage into my own little version of Kowloon City: four stories of prefab metal shacks stacked on top of each other with doors facing inwards toward a tiny central stairway/walkway/atrium that barely had enough room for a few bars; water and power were under the structure and safe from attack, and all of my farming was done on the roof - which, of course, was ringed with heavy laser and missile turrets. It really was a ridiculous looking monstrosity and probably the best settlement I've yet built. There was one stairway up to the first level of shacks, and I did put one guard tower out front just for kicks. Nobody in the settlement ever stepped outside the structure, it was cramped as hell, and it had a higher happiness score than any other settlement. Those goddamn cows still ended up on the third story; however - feed troughs be damned.

That type of structure would work at a number of locations that have raider problems - FInch Farm has enough vertical space, Coastal Cottage, and some others; but the others just all have better layout options available. In any case, if it sounds interesting at all, Coastal Cottage was a really great and fun place to build that.

OK, so - Wasteland Workshop - is what it is. I got quite far into building an all-purpose megafactory, but after quite a bit of effort I realized that there really was no satisfactory outcome, even if everything would work. It's just easier to buy or make everything yourself. I mean, you could somehow make money by, say, making lunchboxes or something out of steel...but why do that when water & drugs are easier, faster, and more profitable? At least it has concrete structures, which are quite useful. Making robots is far more satisfying than trying to make any sort of useful manufacturing apparatus.

Mechanist - I have to admit I really liked this expansion. My only real complaint after building a crapload of robots is WHY are there no ways to save templates??? Seriously. That's a no-brainer and I'm surprised there isn't a mod for that.

Edit: I forgot to mention vault 88. Understandable, if you've played it. However, the interesting discoveries from this DLC are that 1) you can use vault-tec modular construction outdoors to fashion weathertight buildings that don't look like garbage and take up an absolutely predictable amount of space - that is, if you care about the "comfort" of your settlers (they do not care at all beyond a) do I have a bed; b) is it under a roof; c) are these assholes I'm living with producing enough food & water for me to not starve; and d) is there at least SOME means of defense from attack in this settlement other than my recon calibrated sharpshooter's vented pipe pistol); and 2) conduit runs along the top of vault-tec structures very nicely and will fit between modular layers, so wiring is pretty easy - not as easy as it is with the vault reactors, of course, but I haven't tried putting one of those up outside of Vault 88 yet. So, regular generators to conduit plus conduit power radiators is very simple and non-obtrusive.

Far Harbor - Oh great - more fetch quests. I was disappointed with the resolution, and I don't think there was a way to get satisfaction out of the end unless you really wanted to either kill off Far Harbor or Nucleus and quite honestly after hanging out with Children of Atom for a bit I didn't find them to be any more annoying than BOS. Less so, actually, once the High Confessor told me that he wouldn't use that thing to bring on DIvision. And you have three things that you have as an option to confront DiMAS - I had all three unlocked and went with the murder confrontation. Doing so locked out the other things to confront him with. WHY??? So, now I have one of those options still open, which is "Bring down the defenses at Far Harbor." Why the gently caress would I want to do that, given the other choices I had to make to be left with that option? A real step backwards as far as gameplay is concerned, in my opinion. The environment was nice, though. But for god's sake; the last thing I needed was MORE settlements to manage. They can go catch some lobster and leave me alone.

So - on to Nuka World! I've only been allied to a few settlements and haven't added any settlers at all to them, and I've already murdered the entirety of Covenant, so it should be fun. With my robots.

Oh - and I found a minigun with the Explosive legendary. Holy. poo poo. Make sure you're traveling alone when using that; but OMG it's hilariously OP. The best excuse for using power armor I've found.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 23, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't know about you guys, but I'm busy turning Red Rocket Truck Stop into a mini-theme park with NIRAs, Nukatrons, Mr. Frothys, soda mixing stations, and lots of cardboard cutouts.

Not enough space for a rollercoaster so I'm using Contraptions to make a marble machine that recycles its marbles as they roll around and make note blocks go "doink!"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Midnight Voyager posted:

One of them! It makes the other sad when her girlfriend leaves.

Aw. That's pretty interesting though. I know the game doesn't account for all possible variables, but there is a lot of different ways things play out depending on how the quest is done. Like for Curie's quest for instance, if you do it after meeting the Railroad, Glory will be the caretaker of G5-19 and being the hardliner she is even if you convince her that this is a good idea she will be extremely skeptical that this is not a hosed up thing to do to G5-19's body. But if you do it before you meet the Railroad you get just a regular tourist person with her who is being just a human, incredibly nonchalant about the whole thing more like oh well she's brain dead so I guess this is fine.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Just got the game on PC and it seems to be hanging on the initial workshop screen when I try to start a new game how can I fix it or should I just wait it out and make a sandwich.
Verifying files ATM.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 23, 2016

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Rumda posted:

Just got the game on PC and it seems to be hanging on the initial workshop screen when I try to start a new game how can I fix it or should I just wait it out and make a sandwich.
Verifying files ATM.

what do you mean by initial workshop screen? The opening screen showing the garage with the power armor in it? Or the actual 'you have clicked on a workshop' screen?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

JawKnee posted:

what do you mean by initial workshop screen? The opening screen showing the garage with the power armor in it? Or the actual 'you have clicked on a workshop' screen?

Seems that the war never changes video hadn't downloaded properly, don't was stuck trying to start it.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Berke Negri posted:

I'm not sure if it works the other way around since I stopped doing brotherhood quests once they asked me to do some nonsense I didn't like, but after I blew up the institute I was still getting radiant quests from the Railroad and PAM gave me a "go kill a Brotherhood patrol squad" quest that, I assume, was radiant. So - it probably works the other way, too. They hate each other until death.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I'm not sure if it works the other way around since I stopped doing brotherhood quests once they asked me to do some nonsense I didn't like, but after I blew up the institute I was still getting radiant quests from the Railroad and PAM gave me a "go kill a Brotherhood patrol squad" quest that, I assume, was radiant. So - it probably works the other way, too. They hate each other until death.

Yeah, having blown both the Priapus Prydwyn and Honest Shaun's House of Replicants, I'm still getting some radiants from the Railroad - mostly whack Coursers or (rarely) BoS patrols from PAM, and rescue synths from Doc Carrington. And I don't dare talk to Desdemona, since I didn't evac the Institute. :black101: Although I did get the To The Matresses questline, and as long as I only interacted her on *that* it was OK.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Phew. Getting enough nuclear material to build a Super-Reactor is pretty time-intensive...but fortunately I just picked up a plasma-infused assault rifle so I have a pretty good chance of gooifying any enemy I gib with it and getting more nuclear material out of it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Speedball posted:

Phew. Getting enough nuclear material to build a Super-Reactor is pretty time-intensive...but fortunately I just picked up a plasma-infused assault rifle so I have a pretty good chance of gooifying any enemy I gib with it and getting more nuclear material out of it.

keep exploring the vault 88 environs

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can anyone give me / point me to a brief primer on Vault Building For Total And Utter Morons? I have no idea what I'm doing trying to create something decent inside Vault 88.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Speedball posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm busy turning Red Rocket Truck Stop into a mini-theme park with NIRAs, Nukatrons, Mr. Frothys, soda mixing stations, and lots of cardboard cutouts.

Not enough space for a rollercoaster so I'm using Contraptions to make a marble machine that recycles its marbles as they roll around and make note blocks go "doink!"

Screencap, please? this sounds cool

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Screencap, please? this sounds cool

Sure, soon as it's done.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Stupid game, my character is supposed to be a scrawny, intellectual, mage-type character. Why you gotta give me a nuclear-tipped rocket powered sledgehammer??

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 25, 2016

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

a kitten posted:

Stupid game, my character is supposed to be a scrawny, intellectual, mage-type character. Why you gotta give me a nuclear-tipped rocket powered sledgehammer??

It's for when he casts Tenser's Transformation :v:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

The Lone Badger posted:

Can anyone give me / point me to a brief primer on Vault Building For Total And Utter Morons? I have no idea what I'm doing trying to create something decent inside Vault 88.

I'll give it a go but I'll probably leave something out. I'll go through structure pieces from the top level of the vault category then try and see if I've missed anything. I'll probably go through and add some pictures once i'm done writing and know what pictures to take.

Domestic, Utility, Wide Halls, Rooms, Atrium, Doors, Railings & Stairs, Supports

Domestic & Utility
The Domestic and Utility categories contain the generic hallways and corridors that you will be using to connect the more interesting areas of your vault. They each have a slightly different look but contain all the same pieces, and they each contain a hallway piece to transition styles between domestic and utility. In addition to hallways, they include generic room pieces, sloped stair pieces perfect for the cave design of vault 88, and stairwells, the stairwells come in two variants, one that goes to the left and one that goes to the right. Many other tilesets in Vault contain these mirrored pieces, so it's good to keep it in mind. These stairwells can be stacked on top of each other, but doing so is incredibly finicky, don't give up! You'll notice that at the end of each of these categories is a Doorway Endcap, the need for these might seem a little arbitrary when you first start out, but you'll get a feel for it before long. Basically, whenever the room type changes styles, such as domestic hallway going into atrium, or quarters room off an atrium, snapping works on a 'doorway to doorway' basis. There are situations, especially when building in a tight area, that you won't be using two doorway pieces up against each other, so these endcaps are used just to keep the snapping going no matter what pieces youre using.

Wide Halls
I love the way these look, so my first vault was full of them, however they have a couple of downsides which I will go into here. These pieces work much the same as any other hallway piece, a mix of straights, bends, junctions, and ends, with mirrored doorway pieces to fit onto the other room types available. However, you cannot fit power relays onto the walls (I'll go into these later), and they do not have any corresponding room type that fits with the hallway itself, meaning you will be relying solely on the slightly claustrophobic feel of the doorway pieces. Also, despite being the perfect size for a lot of the downward sloping cave passages in vault 88, they have no sloping pieces so cannot take advantage of this. Despite this, they are a great looking set, and I use them as small rooms to fill in space in out of the way or strangely shaped left over places. A few Wide Halls in place of a Utility room really makes the vault feel a lot less artificial.

Rooms
A bunch of generic rooms that mostly share all the same pieces, these come in the styles: Common, Cafeteria, Clinic, Nursery, Overseer, Quarters, and Security. You aren't required to use these for anything, of course, but using them for their intended purpose goes a long way to make your vault feel less generic and lifeless. These rooms will probably often end up being in close proximity to each other, especially if you're doing something like a block of living quarters, you will learn to love the Corner Doorway piece for instances where space is at a premium. This is a piece not all sets have but there are way around this that I will go into later. So yeah, self contained room pieces, not very versatile but theres more than enough for them to fulfill their intended purpose.

Atrium
Oh boy. Just like Wide Halls, these look great, but come with their own set of quirks, but I consider them essential to really nail that vault feel. My advice would be to avoid the 'prefab' pieces (the tall walls and ends with multi level flooring already fitted) and do it by hand, it will take longer but ultimately I feel it will look and work much better. the first thing you're going to notice in this set is the End piece, with it's awesome sloping ceiling. A small single level atrium with this design is always one of the first things I build, as it's perfect for an overseer area. The way it works is you have two End pieces (one of each as they mirror each other) fitting either side of two stacked wall pieces. In the example I gave, I have a doorway at ground level containing access to the overseers area, with the overseer round window above, flanked by atrium Ends. One thing to be aware of with these pieces is that you cannot snap walls directly to the ends of the End piece, you will need to finish it off with a Corner or something, so factor that into your width. The other thing to be aware of is that things don't like snapping to the atrium if the curved Ceiling pieces are in place, so fit those last.

An atrium End in use.

The rest of the pieces in atrium are largely self explanatory, but unlike other room types they are designed to go much taller, so many of the basic pieces have no ceilings, but even then you have options. You're going to have to get creative when building an atrium, as among other quirks it has no corner door pieces. If you want things to look neatest, in situations where you'd use a corner door it's better to use a floor & wall plus a door endcap rather than a floor & door plus wall endcap, as the walls on the flooring pieces are of a different design to the freestanding wall pieces. If you are incorporating balconies, multiple floors, or fixed walkways into your atrium, I personally feel its much better to just use Atrium Floors for this rather than the Hanging Floor or Ceiling & Floor provided. The latter pieces always feel very claustrophobic, and are low enough that you can't jump over a railing to a lower floor if you are beneath them. There's going to be a lot of trial and error, especially when making a large atrium for the first time, but keeping in mind things like needing doorways when transitioning between room types will hopefully get you through.

An atrium built freehand using regular flooring instead of hanging floors and prefabs. Includes example of stacked stairwells.

Doors
A small category, this contains the actual activatable vault doors you will be filling your vault with. It also contains, however, the glass windows you will be needing to fill various holes. One thing to be aware of, often your window-ready wall pieces will be up against each other (room to hallway, overseer to atrium wall, etc) and the window pieces seem inconsistent as to whether they can be fitted when both pieces are in place, or only one piece is in place. Make sure you finish glazing any rooms that require it before you add furniture, in case you need to move a wall temporarily.

Sometimes the wall on one of the sides of the glass will need to be removed to get the glass in

Railings and Stairs
Pretty self explanatory, the only real thing to keep an eye on here is the design of the railings present on each piece, you don't want to finish a run and find out you've laid a bunch of ends next to each other. Sometimes i was getting an issue where railings, especially the U shaped freestanding pieces, would only allow themselves to be placed in reverse, meaning, I had to make the gap in the walkway flooring and take the walkway away to place it, but this seemed to come and go so it was probably just something i was doing wrong and not noticing. Worth remembering maybe though.

Supports
These pieces are purely cosmetic, and as far as I am aware offer no structural benefit. Worth using to tidy things up if you're going to be seeing your vault from the outside but not strictly necessary. Add these at the end when you know how much build space you have to spare, if at all.

Power
Vault pieces are pretty unique in that you don't need a traditional power system. Instead, all vault structural pieces transmit power wirelessly using the Vault Power Conduit item found in Power > Connectors & Switches. These will snap to the bare walls of most hallway and room pieces, and transmit power a certain distance where another relay will need to be placed, and so on. Unfortunately I can't tell you what the vanilla distance is, as I've been using a mod to increase their range this whole time. In addition to wirelessly transmitting power throughout the vault, they also come equipped with a wiring point for any devices which need a direct power feed. There are also traditional Power Conduits in a matching style for any wiring that needs to be taken further. The generator that comes pre-installed in Vault 88 provides 150 power, which is usually more than enough for most purposes, but you can buid duplicates of this reactor for another 150 power, as well as super reactors that provide 500 power, these all operate along the same power transmission rules.

Water
The first thing you may have noticed when surveying your building area is the enormous water purifier located in the East sector of the buildable area of Vault 88. This requires 20 power to poerate and produces 100 water, which is more than enough for most purposes. However, if you want it to run from the same circuit as your initial reactor you may need to get creative with your construction. In order to keep the Security requirement of the site down, I often end up using a couple of the free standing water pumps that can be placed in soil from a previous DLC. Either way, remember that the Vault Power Conduits can also be placed on the exterior of room and hallway pieces.

Two water pumps placed at the exterior of the food growing area.

Food
If you decide to grow your vaults food on-site, you have two real options. Firstly, you can have an access way into the cave itself, and plant crops there. this can however lead to dwellers wandering off and getting stuck in strange places. Personally I prefer to set a room aside for Garden Plots, found in Resources > Miscellaneous and added in the same update as the water pumps.

Garden Plots placed inside a vault utility room.

General Tips
If something won't snap, try adding a doorway cap.
Try to avoid temporary deconstruction, sometimes things won't go back where they were.
Save often!
Always build off the initial hallway piece in vault 88, this is where the snapping is measured from to make full use of the space, and the source of initial power.
Probably more stuff I've forgotten.

Recommended Mods
Clean Pre-War Workshop Workbenches - So your workbenches are as shiny as everything else in the vault.
Vault-Tec Workshop Power Conduits Radius Increase - And No Build Limit for Vault 88 - Two of the biggest drawbacks to trying to build a vault, the power transmission distance and the build limit.
Advanced Bubble Turret Set - Why ruin the aesthetic of your vault with ugly and noisy turrets?

Davoren fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 25, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lima posted:

It's for when he casts Tenser's Transformation :v:

Bigby's Crushing Handnuclear-tipped rocket powered sledgehammer

Anyway, that quest reward had probably saved those stupid radioactive jackasses from being nuked.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!

Delsaber posted:

I wish settlers would gradually restore structures at places like Coastal Cottage instead of just being content to live in the middle of rotting shitholes full of mirelurk corpses and 200 year-old skeletons. Unlock a workshop, place a beacon, maybe leave them some wood and concrete, then come back in a few days or a few weeks to find the floors and walls patched and something resembling a roof overhead.

There's much worse than Coastal Cottage though. I know I'd go AWOL if some rear end in a top hat Minuteman general sent me to live at that construction site in the middle of the swamp.

This would go against the established aesthetic, where it's been two hundred years and nobody's built anything more complicated than a scrap shack. Only you, the boss of everything, know the pre-war secrets of "making new stuff"

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

TRON JEREMY posted:

This would go against the established aesthetic, where it's been two hundred years and nobody's built anything more complicated than a scrap shack. Only you, the boss of everything, know the pre-war secrets of "making new stuff"

New stuff, like totally fresh, splintered wood shacks with broken windows.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TRON JEREMY posted:

To be fair I grew up near the ruins of a castle, and no matter how long you left me you're never going to come back and find that I've rebuilt the drat thing.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I haven't played in months and now with all the DLC out I want to start a new game.

I only took a glimpse at an old save game, seems a lot of quality of life changes were added: like those concrete walls and it seems you can now clip walls a little into each other without using the console.

Is ammo craftable nowadays or do I still need the full slew of mods I had installed ?

Homemaker, Armorsmith Extended and Craftable Ammo were kinda essential to me.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

TRON JEREMY posted:

No, that's crazy institute talk. You must be a synth. If you aren't happy with a shack that's mostly missing boards and poo poo stained mattresses you are the enemy.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I do note that NPC pathfinding seems to have problems with the 'square' stairwells, so I tend to use the 'straight' stairwells in a stack to make sure NPCs can path to higher/lower floors.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm surprised they didn't introduce buildable bubble turrets in the Vault-Tec DLC. You'd think it'd be a no-brainer to include.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nice, thanks.
I was having a lot of difficulty in that I can't just build a floor then apply walls, I have to build floor/wall combinations.

Hammerstein posted:

Is ammo craftable nowadays or do I still need the full slew of mods I had installed ?

Contraptions Workshop introduces a way to make ballistic ammunition. Energy ammunition still requires a mod.

Is Fusion City any good? It's big and getting some votes, but some aspects of the description make me slightly hesitant.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 25, 2016

• Locked thread