Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

lenoon posted:

Mate we should both do some musket firing, where you based? I'm trying to get in with the sealed knot guys but they are not appreciative of my digger philosophies
did i not tell you sealed knot is dicks

mother of god

feedmegin posted:

17th century goonmeet? With fabulous hats!
the thing about a 17th century military goonmeet is it happens in your house whether you want it to or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Yes you did but I don't see many other options. It'd be cool to get financial support to get a shotgun license though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Don't go into a tall building with windows with Hegel.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HEY GAL posted:

i love all battles where the punch line is "yes you can get artillery up that slope"

the defenders never learn, either. another century, another dude looking at the high ground next to his position and going "this is fine. i feel ok about this"

I think the perennial mistake of the future will be "let's shine a bright light into their eyes while we attack".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

no, do it

everything will be safe and normal and perfectly fine

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fangz posted:

That's probably a bit less significant for the Moisin-Nagant given that the Soviets ended up producing 20 million of them during the war.

The Soviets and French both had projects for self-loaders. The French one was the MAS 40. But both of them had pressing other concerns that made what they were already tooled to make in large numbers and fast seem like a better idea.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Fangz posted:

No, it'd actually be safe inside the building. Don't stand outside a tall building with windows that has Hegel inside.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Siivola posted:

Let me just say that this man is living the dream.

Not getting paid but the stuff I write will be in their new websites article section, which is great start portfolio wise as I don't really have anything published and I don't know what or how the gently caress to break into writing down here!

By the end of the year, I imagine I will be versed in campaign, fatigue and forage head dress of the British Army.

Also I know the people are dead and without internet access but there wasn't anything wrong really with the Albert Shako nobody cares if ain't British, our the whole tall leather hat concept is from Hungarians you dumb mid 19th century butts. You want to go back to the Belltop?! do you?!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Fangz posted:

I'm behind her every step of the way.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

For Mr. Leoon: Life magazine on conscious objecting, 1970: https://books.google.ca/books?id=sFUEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA1&pg=PA16#v=onepage&q&f=true

vv 100 years ago and a bit

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 24, 2016

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The Increasingly-Inaccurately-Named 100 Years Ago

21 August: The Germans sack General von Knobelsdorf, and von Falkenhayn is scrambling to save his own position; the bloke in charge of tanks in Britain orders another thousand of them built for shits and giggles; Robert Pelissier is not having any fun at all in the French sector of the Battle of the Somme; I wonder whether it's time to stop poking fun at E.S. Thompson yet; idiot son of a Montreal millionaire Clifford Wells censors some letters; and Maximilian Mugge tries to engage with Shakespeare.

22 August: General Haig bollocks General Rawlinson, and it's not that Rawlinson doesn't deserve it; it's just interesting that Haig is capable of noticing flaws in Rawlinson's command while remaining totally unaware that he himself is making exactly the same mistakes. JRR Tolkien hangs out with a friend for what will be the final time; Max Plowman has his first brush with death; and Edward Mousley portrays Kastamonu as the world's worst CenterParcs resort.

23 August: The French government is getting cold feet about the concept of bringing Chinese labourers to Europe at exactly the same time that the British government is starting to develop an appetite for it. How about that? E.S. Thompson confirms the tag of "walking accident" on his way to a concert party; Herbert Sulzbach has been given some actual work for a change; Henri Desagneaux is most put out by the consequences of an enemy trench raid; and Ruth Farnam makes her way towards Paris.

HEY GAL posted:

no, do it

everything will be safe and normal and perfectly fine

it's true, she didn't hardly mutter "long way down, isn't it? keep smiling!" at all!

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

There was a lot of self-loading projects before World War 2; http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/04/02/sturmgewehr-assault-rifle-developments-prior-1942/

The same guy has a post specifically on Soviet projects, I'll see if I can find it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

I'm behind her every step of the way.
ah well, some days you're the defenestrator, some days you're the defenestratee

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

did i not tell you sealed knot is dicks

mother of god

the thing about a 17th century military goonmeet is it happens in your house whether you want it to or not

They had a thread about the old SA in GBS and pics and descriptions of various meets. I'm pretty sure that this could be the only decent one, like Hunter S. Thompson decent.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sadly I believe reinactment no matter what era or subject matter seems to attract a weird kind of history themed tool now. Which is a shame, as I imagine there are a lot of decent people doing it.

The only English Civil War reinactor I met was a lovely bloke.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

lenoon posted:

get financial support to get a shotgun license though.

Your nation is a monstrosity

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Your nation is a monstrosity

I am grateful that you need licences for shotguns. I live in a more rural area and you get just the same weird crazy as in the urbanised bits.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

I am grateful that you need licences for shotguns. I live in a more rural area and you get just the same weird crazy as in the urbanised bits.

What if I told you they were crazy because they don't have shotguns :clint:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Cossacks III isn't a good game, milhist grogs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

JcDent posted:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

JcDent posted:

That Series went downhill after European Wars...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jack2142 posted:

That Series went downhill after European Wars...

Nope sorry, you are wrong.

Cossacks 2 is the only game that can actually do Napoleonic musketry right. It's such a shame they decided STARFORCE was needed to fight piracy though for those games.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Cossacks 2 is the only game that can actually do Napoleonic musketry right. It's such a shame they decided STARFORCE was needed to fight piracy though for those games.

I have never been able to get it to run correctly. Is there a trick?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

This is why I said it went downhill after 1 I never got 2 to run correctly either.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Then you run out of coal and your army stops firing.

C3 is such a clusterfuck. Like, you have your cannon, which is basically king poo poo of artillery, you have you howitzer which is inferior in every possible way with a range and rate of fire that makes it literally useless, and you have your bombards which do an absurd 20 shots a minute or so, but can't target units... however, campaign AI likes putting units close to buildings and just leaving them there, and there is some mechanic where flying bits of debris kill people, so bombards end up working pretty good.

Your infantry can be herded into formations via officers and drummers, but they don't stay that way once the fight starts... oh and the entire lines no-clips into one spot where a hundred soldiers die in an area of 10 pixels.

Muskets kinda rule the day... unless someone gets in melee range! They don't have a melee attack and can only run away.

What else... tower cannons, just like regular field cannons, will fire through your dudes, killing people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh I remember playing American Conquest which I think was based off the same engine?

I think I just built star forts and turtled because fielding large armies is hard.

Also managing the million different resources that you need to do anything, including shoot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I found this over in the Firing Range of all subforums.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Somebody dropped an absolutely massive album about Ulithi Island in particular and the Pacific War in general on imgur:
http://imgur.com/a/mOvzk

Of particular note; here's how good the damage repair crews were during WWII; the Houston was later repaired from this:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Invent time machine.

Go back to the Ukraine and the CDV offices in 2005.

Punch the dude super paranoid about game pirating hard in the dick. Super hard.

JcDent posted:

Then you run out of coal and your army stops firing.

C3 is such a clusterfuck. Like, you have your cannon, which is basically king poo poo of artillery, you have you howitzer which is inferior in every possible way with a range and rate of fire that makes it literally useless, and you have your bombards which do an absurd 20 shots a minute or so, but can't target units... however, campaign AI likes putting units close to buildings and just leaving them there, and there is some mechanic where flying bits of debris kill people, so bombards end up working pretty good.

Your infantry can be herded into formations via officers and drummers, but they don't stay that way once the fight starts... oh and the entire lines no-clips into one spot where a hundred soldiers die in an area of 10 pixels.

Muskets kinda rule the day... unless someone gets in melee range! They don't have a melee attack and can only run away.

What else... tower cannons, just like regular field cannons, will fire through your dudes, killing people.

This sounds like they haven't bothered really updating the AI much from the original games. Laaaaame, total deal breaker.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 24, 2016

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

JcDent posted:

What a coincidence, I just got it today!

Haven't had time to play it yet, but the box mentions Poland is in the game (AND HAS HUSSARS ! ! !) seven times including the box art.

And yeah, what got posted above suggests to me that it is simply a complete reskin of Cossacks 1, with nothing really changed in it, because it even behaves the same way (read: the way a RTS game circa 2000 would, back then Age of Empires II is still king poo poo in the "historical" department). This is a bummer, C2 was so original in its treatment of Napoleonic warfare (even if it was super clunky). It also had those cool reenactment videos when you clicked on a unit for no good reason :(.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I am pretty drat annoyed they haven't improved the AI, I guess they pretty much think their old fans will just play each other in multiplayer for the challenge.

Still, It can be modded. I will buy when cheap. What is the music like? It had a fantastic soundtrack in the day.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cythereal posted:

I found this over in the Firing Range of all subforums.

Hey, don't you go badmouthing TFR. That Airpower thread is probably my second favorite thread on the forums, right after this one.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 25, 2016

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hey, don't you go badmouthing TFR. That Airpower thread is probably my second favorite thread on the forums, right after this one.

TFR was the best subforum on here for a while. Cyrano and I were both TFR people. hell he mods the place now, for some reason (suckerrrrr)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Huh weird that this isn't showing my avatar next to it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
TFR got me into World of Tanks which directed me down the path of Russian archives and butthurt wehraboos.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Canadians can own guns?

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Monocled Falcon posted:

Canadians can own guns?

Gotta keep the meese at bay somehow.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

JcDent posted:

After watching a video of the first campaign mission, I don't believe you. This looks like a uniformly improved European Wars, which was fun as hell.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Monocled Falcon posted:

Canadians can own guns?

Bears is scary.

*fake edit*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLsM2ijRao

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

For Mr. Leoon: Life magazine on conscious objecting, 1970: https://books.google.ca/books?id=sFUEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA1&pg=PA16#v=onepage&q&f=true

vv 100 years ago and a bit

Thanks man! I'll give it a read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
tfr, is good