Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I just want Discovery to be interesting. I don't care if the effects are bad or the design is wrong or whatever. Just make a show that draws me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

skasion posted:

I'd like if we had any idea what the show was about thematically. So far we haven't really heard anything about the writing apart from it's a starship exploration show. We've already had four of those and half of them sucked rear end. I'm not sure they've come up with any hot new ideas for how to make the concept less tired in the intervening decade. I assume it will be more serialized than previous Trek shows have been, but Enterprise tried that too late on and it still mostly sucked rear end. I'm unconvinced that the franchise has much of anywhere left to go and all the talk about using the original series as a touchstone makes me worry that there isn't really going to be anything to this show, apart from its desire to remind you of when you used to watch a different, better show.

Yes a spaceship full of people able to travel throughout most of space, definitely a setting/concept incapable of producing more stories.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

kaworu posted:

Oh, c'mon - it isn't rocket science. It's not like there is some magical formula or a special challenge that a STAR TREK™ show needs to have or accomplish to be successful. It's actually far easier to be successful with a franchise like Star Trek, because you aren't obligated to do some huge amount of world-building and massive exposition dumps and clunky writing and scenes spent trying to establish the setting of genre shows like these. Star Trek is Star Trek, and on a very basic level these showrunners know what that means, and they know how to use that, take advantage of that, and ideally turn it on its head at times.

What encourages me is that Fuller is a legitimately smart guy. I've heard him speak and read interviews, and he is a no-bullshit legit clever guy who knows precisely what he does and wants to do in terms of his television shows, and generally does it. Season 2 of Hannibal, in my opinion, stands as the best season of television he's ever done.

Hannibal also proved his ability to simultaneously make a show both serialized and "monster of the week" in terms of its construction, without any particular episode truly or fully feeling like it's entirely one or the other, but each being a sort of hybrid to one degree another which may or may not focus on the smaller arc within the context of the greater arc, or what may seen like a monster of the week initially may turn out to be an episode dealing with the main arc of the season. He's very good at messing with those expectations

I'm not sure why you think I'm talking about some kind of secret to Star Trek that they need to crack. The mere fact of something being called Star Trek doesn't mean it's good tv. It doesn't even mean it's likely to be good tv. The last two series of the Star Trek franchise were lazy, cliche-ridden, stupid, patronizing, abject crap from beginning to end. There are not 24 good hours of tv out of the entirety of them. And that despite the fact that the people who made them were franchise veterans who had been working on Star Trek for like a decade and thought they understood it as well as anyone could.

My reason for lacking optimism about this show is that there doesn't seem to be a clear direction for it apart from "it's kind of like TOS". I haven't seen anything about it yet that convinces me this is anything other than more of the same old Star Trek, which you will watch because you liked those Star Trek shows back in the day, right? But this is the exact same attitude which led to the development of the two terrible, pitifully poo poo shows that I referred to above. Under new management, the result might be different, or it might not.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's impossible to get hype for anything anymore because of all the reboots and sequels to things that have been made as obvious attempts to cash in on people's nostalgia for better things/times that completely fail to capture what made the originals worthwhile. While Bryan Fuller is far, far more likely to know what to avoid in making a new Star Trek show and the fact that the others involved are also veterans of solid entries in the franchise is also a big plus, until I see a trailer that doesn't completely suck it's hard to feel positive

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
How pissed is everyone going to be if he pulls an Abrams and the show is just a demo reel for a Star Wars show he'd rather be making?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

How pissed is everyone going to be if he pulls an Abrams and the show is just a demo reel for a Star Wars show he'd rather be making?

If they can pull theater quality ship battles on a tv budget I'm pretty sure most people would be really loving impressed. I mean imagine having that kind of scale on a television show and actually being able to explore giant space stations or planetary locations we saw in the Abrams films. As a matter of fact, it would probably get most normal people really interested if they could come close to pulling that poo poo off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrJacobs posted:

If they can pull theater quality ship battles on a tv budget I'm pretty sure most people would be really loving impressed. I mean imagine having that kind of scale on a television show and actually being able to explore giant space stations or planetary locations we saw in the Abrams films. As a matter of fact, it would probably get most normal people really interested if they could come close to pulling that poo poo off.

Im hopeful but I just don't think they'll be able to hit what BSG was doing as far as space battles.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zurui posted:

Once Voyager makes it back and they reverse-engineer the mobile holoemitter there is literally no reason to have more than a dozen actual human beings on board a starship.

The purpose of the starship is not to get a collection of hardware to a given location; it is to move people from one place to another.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zurui posted:

Must importantly, the 'verse is supposedly half Chinese but there are no Chinese people.
My interpretation of this stuff is that the entire cast are animated heavily by their anti-space-Chinese racism to the point of specifically seeking out the one neurotic white Englishman on the Triad Shipping Container Planet.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Nessus posted:

My interpretation of this stuff is that the entire cast are animated heavily by their anti-space-Chinese racism to the point of specifically seeking out the one neurotic white Englishman on the Triad Shipping Container Planet.

See, I would have thought that Whedon would jump at the idea of casting generic "Asian" actors of without needing to have any sort of sensitivity for their culture or beliefs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nessus posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by taking a trip to Chinatown to chat with the artful loving dodger

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

Wikkheiser posted:

I unironically want a super-crazy kitschy Star Trek with retro-60s futurism on a social justice warpath.

trekcomic.com is for you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The purpose of the starship is not to get a collection of hardware to a given location; it is to move people from one place to another.

Holograms are people though

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Zurui posted:

Once Voyager makes it back and they reverse-engineer the mobile holoemitter there is literally no reason to have more than a dozen actual human beings on board a starship.

As that Geordie comic points out, though, there's no reason for Data to use holograms once he becomes the ship's computer other than his wanting to be humanlike and stuff. They could already only crew ships with a few people if they really wanted to-there's no reason for the computer to be pressing buttons or to have to tell a guy three decks down to press a button there when you can just tell the computer.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Are there any han chinese with speaking roles in firefly?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Nessus posted:

My interpretation of this stuff is that the entire cast are animated heavily by their anti-space-Chinese racism

Since they're essentially Confederate analogues, this makes sense.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

What I most want out of Star Trek is for it to make space travel interesting and exciting again. I want it to show the wonder of discovery (the name encourages me slightly) and the beauty of the stars. I want the joy of exploring the unfathomable, infinite mysteries of the universe. I want "let's see what's out there."

I don't particularly care about inclusion or social justice or whatever - I'm not saying don't do it; the premise of an improved and unified humanity is worthy and a core feature of the franchise, but if it's too much in the foreground past a certain very low level of preachiness, it becomes distracting and counterproductive.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"Men no longer need die in space or on some alien world! Men can live and go on to achieve greater things than fact-finding and dying for galactic space, which is neither ours to give or to take!"

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Watched Attached and Sub Rosa with the wife recently. She called Crusher out for being a cocktease at the end of Attached. She called Sub Rosa 'the kind of kiddie vampire movie pulp that she doesn't want in scifi'. Still a good performance by McFadden, despite the awful plot.

Only 3 more discs of S7 and then all good things must come to an end.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

What I most want out of Star Trek is for it to make space travel interesting and exciting again. I want it to show the wonder of discovery (the name encourages me slightly) and the beauty of the stars. I want the joy of exploring the unfathomable, infinite mysteries of the universe. I want "let's see what's out there."

It's why I want a new Trek show where they leave Federation space in the first episode and don't come back until the finale.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We already had that!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MikeJF posted:

It's why I want a new Trek show where they leave Federation space in the first episode and don't come back until the finale.

This would be great if they can avoid the pitfalls of Voyager, kind of a chance at a do-over for a show that wasted most of the potential of a great premise. I wouldn't even mind if they go out for shorter than a full five-year mission and come back before going out again, like a pilot program of 6-month or 1-year missions as a preliminary for the longer missions of the TOS era proper.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rhyno posted:

We already had that!

Voyager ended up at earth like four times and then status quoed back to the delta quadrant

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I hope it's something I haven't seen 5 versions of, only half of which were consistently any good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tunicate posted:

Voyager ended up at earth like four times and then status quoed back to the delta quadrant

Psh! Time travel doesn't count and only the Doctor made it there during the main run AND they ended the drat show ends with them rolling up on Earth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Voyager was trying to get home all the time, though. My suggestion would be nothing of the sort. 'gently caress yeah we've loaded up on supplies let's go get lost'. Also, key point, it wouldn't be Voyager.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I want no goddamn holodeck. If the writers want to do a period piece they have to do a cowboy planet.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

This is incredible and I am really glad you linked this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

8one6 posted:

I want no goddamn holodeck. If the writers want to do a period piece they have to do a cowboy planet.

Or at the very least if they use the holodeck use it realistically and have them use holosims where they fling themselves out of an aeroplane and have a mid-air shooting fight before surfing a crocodile to the ground, rescuing the princess, and then fly a jet-powered motorbike to safety because if you have a holodeck why wouldn't you.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 25, 2016

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

MikeJF posted:

Or at the very least if they use the holodeck use it realistically and have them use holosims where they fling themselves out of an aeroplane and have a mid-air shooting fight before surfing a crocodile to safety

They had to curtail the James bond holosuite stuff after MGM complained, but I hope that Dan Ryckert is a little more understanding.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Dark One posted:

They had to curtail the James bond holosuite stuff after MGM complained, but I hope that Dan Ryckert is a little more understanding.

Oh man.

I was going for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXYfnWRp1Q0

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EDIT wrong thread

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 25, 2016

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

I want "let's see what's out there."

This. Just this. The whole of this.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rhyno posted:

the drat show ends with them rolling up on Earth.

You just said time travel bullshit doesn't count.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Baloogan posted:

those pylons are terrible

pylons do not need to be beefy, warp nacelles do not exert force !

No, but they do have mass and that matters.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

No, but they do have mass and that matters.

It really only matters to a federation starship when poo poo has already seriously hit the fan. In any normal situation it wouldn't matter a bit.

I guess it matters if you want the ship to land (or go underwater!) and I suppose you don't want your nacelle struts snapping off the instant the inertial dampeners fail or the warp bubble is hit by an inverse quagmire field.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Trent posted:

I suppose you don't want your nacelle struts snapping off the instant the inertial dampeners fail or the warp bubble is hit by an inverse quagmire field.

Just firing your thrusters without your magic doodad fields would be a serious threat to the ship.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trent posted:

It really only matters to a federation starship when poo poo has already seriously hit the fan.

Then it matters!

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Zurui posted:

I wonder how Star Fleet Command is going to react when they ask where the emitter came from and Janeway says, "Oh that, we took it from a 20th century industrialist who stole it from the future. We've just been letting our sapient hologram use it because we didn't want to hurt his feelings. It's been broken and stolen a few times and at one point it was infected by the Borg, but don't worry, our chief engineer, a terrorist, has always been able to fix it and has even improved its functionality through various untested modifications. Why do you ask?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The Admiralty probably got like six pages into Janeway's logs and just said "gently caress it, just promote her and forget all of this happened."