Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

lol I didn't realize this was ever an issue because I left Argentoratum and it's lovely region razed for the entirety of my 2 campaigns.

Did CA ever answer why it was like that? I couldn't find anything online about it.
They acknowledged it as a bug multiple times and than never fixed it. Somebody on the official forums supposedly made a mod that fixes it but it linked to a shuttered file locker site. The other cities affected by it are Ancyra, Caesarea Eusebia and Nova Trajana Bostra, they all have their 6th slot be unusable as well. Strangely enough it was only Argentoratum that was bugged at first but then the other three got it during a patch somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

There was supposed to be one final patch to Attila after the one this past summer, but I'm guessing it's not gonna happen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Yeah I'm just not doing any of the politics stuff because I really don't understand how the mechanics work.

I also don't understand why troop transport at sea takes longer than moving troops on land!

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Man I'm playing Shogun 2 now and after playing every total war game from rome up to shogun I don't think I've ever felt like agents brought a fun dimension to the campaign. I wish they just scrap the entire system or rethink it entirely.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

kanonvandekempen posted:

Man I'm playing Shogun 2 now and after playing every total war game from rome up to shogun I don't think I've ever felt like agents brought a fun dimension to the campaign. I wish they just scrap the entire system or rethink it entirely.

I don't hate the idea of agents, but I do think they have to cut down on offensive agents. It gets really ridiculous in Attila and Warhammer when at the start of every turn I have to spam-click through piles of agent action notifications. I like the ones that spread influence or help with diplomacy, though.

I also want more Eye for an Eye and Caesar in Gaul type campaigns.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Napoleon's agents were great, especially in the campaigns.

Name's Newton. Sir Isaac Newton.

Guy was a dueling, technology stealing, research publishing machine.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

canyoneer posted:

Napoleon's agents were great, especially in the campaigns.

Name's Newton. Sir Isaac Newton.

Guy was a dueling, technology stealing, research publishing machine.

I like the guys in the Fall Of The Samurai campaign myself.

Good old Foreign Agent, making your early infantry and militia actually worth something.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah I liked the agents a lot actually, until Rome 2.

In retrospect the ones in Med 2 sucked but they were mostly their own little corner of the game so they didn't bother me that much.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any other historical conflicts/time periods like Sengoku Japan, where you have a mix of early gunpowder weapons with traditional swords/bows and such? I think of all the TW game settings I still find that dynamic the most interesting but it seems like they aren't going to do a Shogun 3 any time soon.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are there any other historical conflicts/time periods like Sengoku Japan, where you have a mix of early gunpowder weapons with traditional swords/bows and such? I think of all the TW game settings I still find that dynamic the most interesting but it seems like they aren't going to do a Shogun 3 any time soon.

I mean, that was pretty much the late game of MTW2 at least, maybe the first game too, I'm not certain.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
China from about Shogun 2's period through to the 20th century.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Koramei posted:

Yeah I liked the agents a lot actually, until Rome 2.

In retrospect the ones in Med 2 sucked but they were mostly their own little corner of the game so they didn't bother me that much.

Well, Assassins and Priests were fun in Med 2. Merchants and princesses were pretty terrible, because merchants are the devil, and during the games where you still needed diplomats to make alliances, Princesses were kind of pointless.

Assassins were great because you could murder the pope, and coupled with priests, you could assassinate all your enemies in the college of cardinals and stack the deck in your favour. Plus, Assassins gave your leader extra dread, which made them great for military actions. I do miss the old games clunky systems and the insanity that could come from all the variables.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Know what sucks about ETW Agents?

The movies that played after the missions. Instead of I don't know, maybe having the model representing your agent in the campaign be used they went with the weird idea of having two generic mid 18th century gents duking it out which of course you could never tell apart.

I found myself skipping those movies always after my first campaign.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I like the guys in the Fall Of The Samurai campaign myself.

Good old Foreign Agent, making your early infantry and militia actually worth something.

I liked the Matsuke (I think it was them) because you could turn a rebellion into a garrison pretty much instantly.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There's colonial Empire stuff but I don't think CA left themselves with a second chance, there. They could always do a setting where firearms are just coming in to play, which is more reason a Chinese/East Asian TW game. People keep saying the US Civil War would be kind of dull, but I think it would work if you did it in mini-campaigns like Caesar in Gaul where you fight in small theatres. I personally kind of want to take a break from every ethnicity in history getting representation. I had a lot more fun slowly pushing the Gauls into the Channel in Rome I than auto-resolve genocide in Rome II/Attila.

Seeing how Warhammer turned out, I wouldn't mind more stuff from other IPs. I think I already creamed about my idea for Total War: Fury Road here.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Koramei posted:

China from about Shogun 2's period through to the 20th century.
The spergs on TWC wouldn't be able to fathom the amount of bloodshed from the Boxer Rebellion though. Or even know it existed.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Sober posted:

The spergs on TWC wouldn't be able to fathom the amount of bloodshed from the boxer rebellion though. Or even know it existed.

The Taiping Rebellion would make a fantastic videogame. A fail bureaucrat has a vision that leads him to declare himself the spirutal brother of Jesus. End result?

22 million dead :unsmigghh:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah I mean I think my FotS campaigns typically kill at least 100 times as many people as actually died in the Boshin War.

I also just remembered that Medieval II had rifles. I forget if they were in the main game or just the expansions.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I've been wanting a 19th century China TW game or at least a mod for a while now, feels there's enough stuff and variety with the Taiping Rebellion and the Opium Wars for some cool factions and armies. For example, Qing Tiger Men.

They dressed as tigers and threw firecrackers to scare horses.

EDIT: Also I can't remember if water bullets were a thing in the Taiping Rebellion or I'm getting my info wrong? Idea being that the Taiping officiers shot their troops with dummy bullets that left no mark/visable wound, so they could trick their troops into thinking they're invincible.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 24, 2016

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

oh my god his hood has little ears on it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well maybe Oriental Empires will scratch the China itch that many of us have.

Fake edit: Apparently early access is available on Steam, so if anyone has tried it let me know.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Blooming Brilliant posted:

EDIT: Also I can't remember if water bullets were a thing in the Taiping Rebellion or I'm getting my info wrong? Idea being that the Taiping officiers shot their troops with dummy bullets that left no mark/visable wound, so they could trick their troops into thinking they're invincible.

Nope, that was the Boxers recruitment policy.

Perhaps a really lovely way to recruit soldiers in retrospect.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dune: Total War please.

I think Arrakis has been left untouched long enough. The spice must flow and send my Swordmasters to murder some Face Dancers for sabotaging my facilities. Plus because of shields, there wouldn't be as much ranged combat. All hand-to-hand weirding way poo poo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Plan Z posted:

I also just remembered that Medieval II had rifles. I forget if they were in the main game or just the expansions.

They were arquebus wielded by the most Landwehr looking mother fuckers and I enjoyed hours just watching knights on foot throwing themselves into the firing line, breaking, reforming and attempting again to attack the men in poofy trousers with fire sticks.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Well maybe Oriental Empires will scratch the China itch that many of us have.

Fake edit: Apparently early access is available on Steam, so if anyone has tried it let me know.

The game itself looks decent but the battles look like farts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man it's a little depressing but after finishing the prologue I just couldn't get into Attila at all. I tried but something about the game just seemed to fall flat for me, I didn't feel at all engaged with it like I did with previous games. I can't put my finger on what is wrong with it because technically it's just as good (better in a lot of places) than Rome 2 but it just couldn't hold my interest beyond a few turns of the game. Maybe it's because I finished up Rome 2 not that long ago, maybe I just picked the wrong time to try and get into it, but the game just left me cold :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Plan Z posted:

The game itself looks decent but the battles look like farts.

Speaking of Total War spin off with Fart Battles, that 7 Years War Grog Fest Total War Spin Off has DLC coming with some features in that games battle that should be in the base game!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Man it's a little depressing but after finishing the prologue I just couldn't get into Attila at all. I tried but something about the game just seemed to fall flat for me, I didn't feel at all engaged with it like I did with previous games. I can't put my finger on what is wrong with it because technically it's just as good (better in a lot of places) than Rome 2 but it just couldn't hold my interest beyond a few turns of the game. Maybe it's because I finished up Rome 2 not that long ago, maybe I just picked the wrong time to try and get into it, but the game just left me cold :(

They made the biggest deal out of the West Rome campaign, but it's a boring slog and mostly a grognard badge of honor at this point. I got the most enjoyment out of playing migrator nations. I picked up my Visigoth campaign again, and it was fun to blast my way through western Rome, eventually settling into a good spot that let me start building an empire to let me invade into Italy and Spain.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
West Rome is not really that hard or a grind unless you play it straight.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

CharlestheHammer posted:

West Rome is not really that hard or a grind unless you play it straight.

Its incredibly tedious doing settlement management for the empire, plus the dull AI turns as your cities get sacked and resacked.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Ammanas posted:

Its incredibly tedious doing settlement management for the empire, plus the dull AI turns as your cities get sacked and resacked.

Yeah this.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
That's when you play it straight. I think he meant when you just up and abandon half your empire and rebuild from a few provinces like a normal faction would.

To be honest aside from an aborted coop campaign as the Romans (the normal coop issue of waiting ages for each turn is even worse when each turn takes half an hour) I've only ever actually played Huns and White Huns in Attila but it's loads of fun for those, hordes are completely unlike what you get in any other Total War game. They got the horse archers polished as hell for Attila too, they're incredibly slick and responsive. Premier nomad simulator.

Not the style of game I wanna play endlessly but to dip into now and then it's great fun.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Are there any TW:Attila scenario mods that just replace East and West Rome with their breakaway states (Britain, Italy, Macedonia, etc.)?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I like the mod that adds in a playable roman migrator state to the main campaign. Lets you mess around with roman units and build a state from the ground up.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I'm actually using war dogs in Attila and am I crazy or are they broken as hell? I never get a match where they have under 300 kills by the time the victory notice pops up. Mopping up usually have 500+.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 26, 2016

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Plan Z posted:

So I'm actually using war dogs in Attila and am I crazy or are they broken as hell? I never get a match where they have under 300 kills by the time the victory notice pops up. Mopping up usually have 500+.

They were never not broken. Especially if they run into stuff with low melee stats like archers.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's especially annoying how they're practically impossible to see unless you're looking for them. I just had one battle where I was really confused why my horse archers were apparently losing decisively to something in melee while there were no dudes standing anywhere near them, until I finally saw the little fucks tearing away at their feet after half the unit had gone down.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I want incendiary boars back in the games :(

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How on earth do people play EB? I just downloaded it and started a game as Rome and i'm immediately confronted with the sight of massive enemy stacks all over the place. I don't even know where to begin.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Enemy stacks, or rebel stacks? Rebels tend to sit around and wait to get attacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

It took a while, but Napoleon is finally clicking with me. What I'm enjoying is that it's not as much of a slave to troop quality as some of the games. If I play militia well, i can destroy elite armies even when the auto-resolve is heavily in favor of the AI.