Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I think I got this clip from this thread(? I'd like a link to the original anyhow if anybody has it)

It’s from this Norwegian video site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

wayfinder posted:

Yeah.. I want this design, from this photo. Thanks

My thought process: "Yeah, the Penguin's face is kind of off, and I don't know why the Riddler is green. But it's clearly still unfinished, and by lovely tattoo standards it's really not all that-- ...Wait... is that... AHAHAHAHAHAHA"

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

That's my kind of penguin.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jamfrost posted:

That's my kind of penguin.

A goonguin!

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

at least the penguin has the excuse of being a literal child

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Eh. I need more pictures and twitter posts before I accept people are actually doing this.

Waterproof and Microwave charging was easier for the average idiot to fall for. This prank requires the idiot being allowed around power tools.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Met posted:

Eh. I need more pictures and twitter posts before I accept people are actually doing this.

Waterproof and Microwave charging was easier for the average idiot to fall for. This prank requires the idiot being allowed around power tools.
Well,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX0jkMJXiGA

1:30 is about where they start by the way. I really like those guys but getting a drill/driver was probably a bad idea for them.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Parts Kit posted:

Well,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX0jkMJXiGA

1:30 is about where they start by the way. I really like those guys but getting a drill/driver was probably a bad idea for them.

I love how they gingerly pick it up and throw the smoking, hissing phone away from themselves for safety and then immediately hunker down on their knees next to it and lean in to film it.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Met posted:

This prank requires the idiot being allowed around power tools.

Whether or not this is real, there are billions of idiots around power tools.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Met posted:

Yeah, there's no loving way anybody is actually doing this, but as it turns out it is really simple and occasionally entertaining to pretend to be a huge moron on YT.

Guys, consumer electronics are not a new thing even if the iPhone 7 is. Nobody out there is actually dumb enough to think that drilling into something is magically going to give it more functionality.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Ryoshi posted:

Yeah, there's no loving way anybody is actually doing this, but as it turns out it is really simple and occasionally entertaining to pretend to be a huge moron on YT.

Guys, consumer electronics are not a new thing even if the iPhone 7 is. Nobody out there is actually dumb enough to think that drilling into something is magically going to give it more functionality.

I think you're giving stupidity too much credit if you're assuming it isn't infinite.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
MLB batter-freude:
code:
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/778416366873227264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/778416366873227264

e: tweet wasn' showing up, I'm probably loving up trying to embed it, bonus schad :(
Oh, nevermind, the ref code was confusing things.

e2: some gif wizard needs to make this loop seamlessly

Takes No Damage has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Sep 25, 2016

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Gorilla Salad posted:

One of my favourite professional idiots was this guy who travels the world doing "50 most dangerous" of this and that. This time he was doing the most painful stings in the natural world and naturally, the gympie gympie was right up the top.

Now, this is a plant so insanely dangerous it can still poison you 100 years after being dried, pressed and put in a drawer in a museum. The barbs, once they're in your skin, can release their toxin for up to a year. The pain also is not affected by opiates, so you get to enjoy every moment of it unless, like some victims, you sever the afflicted part of you body.

So, naturally, this bloody fool just couldn't resist the urge to gently brush a single leaf against a tiny piece of skin on the back of a single finger.

Five seconds later he's doubled over in pain so severe it makes him vomit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HOIQjILUBg

Speaking of Aussie plants and freudian joy, I went on a schooltrip to the nearby rain forest and during our walk through one of the trails the teachers pointed out the wait a while plant http://rainforest-australia.com/Wait-a-While.htm as you would expect from a bunch of kids not everyone paid attention and someone walked right past it and snagged their shirt on it so we all got to wait and laugh at their ripped shirt after the teachers had to carefully cut the thorns so they could get away from the plant.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Met posted:

Not only that, but it would take a special kind of stupid to think that the manufacturer is gonna spend the money to install 1/8th inch jacks and not cut a hole in the case for them.

E: don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that someone out there is dumb enough to think that. I just don't think there's enough of them to fill up a comments section like that.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 02:32 on Sep 25, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Mentalizer posted:

Not only that, but it would take a special kind of stupid to think that the manufacturer is gonna spend the money to install 1/8th inch jacks and not cut a hole in the case for them.

You can't not believe that there are people who believe that a "jack" is literally just a hole.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

:perfect:

e: jesus loving christ goons, something can be hilarious without being true.

LonsomeSon has a new favorite as of 03:11 on Sep 25, 2016

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

wayfinder posted:

Yeah.. I want this design, from this photo. Thanks

Both tattoos are impressively horrible.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Gorilla Salad posted:

I thought he meant making people pay for their parole. Because the US charging people for that is loving sick.

Can't keep up your weekly freedom payments? Back to gaol for you!

Are we just gonna let this go by and not point out how loving stupid it is?

Okay, I'm gonna lay this out for you:

Bail: Some sort of collateral, cash, real property, or bond used as surety for the temporary release of an accused person pending trial. It is forfeited if the accused violates the terms of the bail, usually by fleeing or otherwise failing to appear for their court date, or engaging in other illegal activities. A bail bondsman will post bail for a person with the understanding that if the terms are violated, the bondsman keeps a percentage of the money and is coming to getcha. Whoever paid for it gets the money back if the person complies and shows up for court. The whole point of bail is to deter you from skipping out on your court date.

Parole is the provisional release of a convicted inmate, on the grounds that certain rules are followed in addition to just not breaking the law again, such as maintaining steady employment, complying with a curfew, or other conditions more specific to the offense they were convicted of. They must undergo a psychological evaluation and meet with a parole board that will determine whether or not to grant parole. A person out of prison on parole is not "free" and is still considered to be serving their sentence and can be returned to prison if the terms of the parole are violated. Regular check-ins with a parole officer to ensure compliance are usually required. The parole officer can also make unannounced visits to the parolee's house or work to make sure they're following the terms of the parole.

Neither of these things mean a person is no longer in trouble with the law, and neither one is extortion. The US justice system has some grievous flaws, it's true, but a parolee is not required to make weekly payments to stay out of jail are you loving crazy

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Sep 25, 2016

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Russian roadside drivers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krit93yN2Lk
The entire channel is :ussr:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Aerdan posted:

I think you're giving stupidity too much credit if you're assuming it isn't infinite.

Data Graham posted:

You can't not believe that there are people who believe that a "jack" is literally just a hole.

I genuinely do not believe that there are people that stupid with access to both a new smartphone and power tools, no. In fact, I would be so far as to say it is, perhaps, you two who are stupid, for being so insanely credulous of anything posted in a goddamn youtube comments section. I mean, christ almighty people, you do know there's an entire thread dedicated to people posting stupid poo poo online that didn't actually happen, right?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yes but I also read the IoSM thread and

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Yes but I also read the IoSM thread and

...so you should know that idiots who do poo poo like that in real life are also generally dumb enough to broadcast it to the world through photographs. Right?

The schadenfreude is on you guys for not recognizing obvious media trolling in 2016, seriously.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Money bail in particular is crooked as gently caress (it unfairly penalizes poor defendants, many of whom can't afford money bail in the first place, whether they would be a flight risk or not), but otherwise this is correct. There are other lovely practices in the criminal justice system as well, however, including the unconstitutional practice of throwing people in prison for failure to pay fines (which, yes, does still take place in many jurisdictions).

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Bertrand Hustle posted:

...a parolee is not required to make weekly payments to stay out of jail are you loving crazy

hello! this is a collect call from capitalism to say gently caress you, poor people

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/03/us/probation-fees-multiply-as-companies-profit.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...g_and_jail.html

https://www.hrw.org/report/2014/02/05/profiting-probation/americas-offender-funded-probation-industry

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Sep 25, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ryoshi posted:

...so you should know that idiots who do poo poo like that in real life are also generally dumb enough to broadcast it to the world through photographs. Right?

The schadenfreude is on you guys for not recognizing obvious media trolling in 2016, seriously.

Oooooor we're going "yeah it's obviously fake but still it wouldn't surprise me if there were people that dumb".

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Parole ≠ probation. The former is post-jail, the latter is in lieu thereof. Lest anyone think this has changed over the past two years, I assure you it has not.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tarantula posted:

Speaking of Aussie plants and freudian joy,

Speaking of Aussies, this turned up on my Facebook feed this morning:

"I got attacked by a huge snake in my backyard LOL" is the Aussiest reaction to a snakebite

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Aerdan posted:

Parole ≠ probation. The former is post-jail, the latter is in lieu thereof. Lest anyone think this has changed over the past two years, I assure you it has not.

Not to worry, you can be jailed on a parole violation for not paying parole fees, while in Pennsylvania, you're not eligible for parole unless you can pay the parole fee!

Obligatory JOliver piece, because that Brennan Center report is pretty long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJtYRxH5G2k

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Sep 25, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/ria_martin/status/779849215174385664

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bertrand Hustle posted:

[snip]

Neither of these things mean a person is no longer in trouble with the law, and neither one is extortion. The US justice system has some grievous flaws, it's true, but a parolee is not required to make weekly payments to stay out of jail are you loving crazy

Look up "parole supervision fees/payments". If you are on parole in the US, you have to pay - yes, pay - the state for the costs they incur for supervising you during your parole.

It may only be around $100 a month, but for someone just out of jail, with all the restrictions on their movements and employment that entails, even finding that each month may be too much. And if they can't find the money they lose their freedom get sent back to jail.

And yes, despite being supervised by the state and under many restrictions, I would think that anyone with a moment's thought would understand what I mean by "freedom" in this context.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Okay, I'm gonna lay this out for you:

Bail: Some sort of collateral, cash, real property, or bond used as surety for the temporary release of an accused person pending trial. It is forfeited if the accused violates the terms of the bail, usually by fleeing or otherwise failing to appear for their court date, or engaging in other illegal activities. A bail bondsman will post bail for a person with the understanding that if the terms are violated, the bondsman keeps a percentage of the money and is coming to getcha. Whoever paid for it gets the money back if the person complies and shows up for court. The whole point of bail is to deter you from skipping out on your court date.

Parole is the provisional release of a convicted inmate, on the grounds that certain rules are followed in addition to just not breaking the law again, such as maintaining steady employment, complying with a curfew, or other conditions more specific to the offense they were convicted of. They must undergo a psychological evaluation and meet with a parole board that will determine whether or not to grant parole. A person out of prison on parole is not "free" and is still considered to be serving their sentence and can be returned to prison if the terms of the parole are violated. Regular check-ins with a parole officer to ensure compliance are usually required. The parole officer can also make unannounced visits to the parolee's house or work to make sure they're following the terms of the parole.

You can't be this stupid.

First off, bail bondsman keep the entirety of what you pay them, regardless if you show up to court or not. This is why you only have to put up 10% of the total bail. They pay the rest. This is also why youre required to have collateral. You dont show up? He/she keeps that too. If you put up 100% of the bail out of pocket, you get it back in its entirety if you show up to your court date.

As far as parole goes, it literally costs loving money to be on parole. This is a huge reason the recidivism rate in this god forsaken country is so damned high. In Florida, for instance, it's over 80%. Being on parole/probation is easily one of the hardest things to do, and do successfully without violating on a technical violation (Contact with law enforcement for a loving speeding ticket could potentially send you back to jail/prison).

The flaws in prisoner release in the United States are insane and troubling to say the very least.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Tarantula posted:

Russian roadside drivers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krit93yN2Lk
The entire channel is :ussr:

Blocking in that Landcruiser at 3:20 was goddamn beautiful.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Zipperelli. posted:

The flaws in prisoner release in the United States are insane and troubling to say the very least.

There, fixed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Zipperelli. posted:

First off, bail bondsman keep the entirety of what you pay them, regardless if you show up to court or not. This is why you only have to put up 10% of the total bail. They pay the rest. This is also why youre required to have collateral. You dont show up? He/she keeps that too. If you put up 100% of the bail out of pocket, you get it back in its entirety if you show up to your court date.

As far as parole goes, it literally costs loving money to be on parole. This is a huge reason the recidivism rate in this god forsaken country is so damned high. In Florida, for instance, it's over 80%. Being on parole/probation is easily one of the hardest things to do, and do successfully without violating on a technical violation (Contact with law enforcement for a loving speeding ticket could potentially send you back to jail/prison).

How does this save the state money in the long run if they end up stuffing people in prison over things like this? Then they have to pay for that person's incarceration.

Didn't they recently also ban for-profit prisons?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Panfilo posted:

How does this save the state money in the long run if they end up stuffing people in prison over things like this? Then they have to pay for that person's incarceration.

Didn't they recently also ban for-profit prisons?

For-profit prisons are not illegal; however, the DOJ is no longer going to employ them for federal prisons. For-profit prisons are a small minority of the prison-industrial complex, unfortunately.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Gorilla Salad posted:

Look up "parole supervision fees/payments". If you are on parole in the US, you have to pay - yes, pay - the state for the costs they incur for supervising you during your parole.

It may only be around $100 a month, but for someone just out of jail, with all the restrictions on their movements and employment that entails, even finding that each month may be too much. And if they can't find the money they lose their freedom get sent back to jail.

And yes, despite being supervised by the state and under many restrictions, I would think that anyone with a moment's thought would understand what I mean by "freedom" in this context.

They are on parole. They are not released from prison. Thats why they can set basically whatever conditions they'd like and you are legally required to do it otherwise you can just finish out your sentence the normal way. I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what parole is.

Someone is not serving their time and then once that's done having to pay to stay out of jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Zipperelli. posted:

The part about bail bondsmen I knew, which is why I said that the person who actually posts bail gets it back if you show up for court.

I couldn't find anything about parole fees but I did try to fact check, and at best "weekly freedom fees" is a gross exaggeration.