Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Did they gently caress with how gym battling works? Either my phone itself changed somehow, I'm on drugs today, or they made taps carry over to a couple seconds after you stop tapping and its hella frustrating to dodge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

The White Dragon posted:

What, are you like landlocked or something and it's impossible to go visit <nearby major city> on the weekend or something? My town is mostly a random smattering of fire and ground types--always at least one a day, but never the same one--but when I visit the city, oh baby.

I suppose it would depend where people live. I live outside of the only major city in my province. In that city, there are few if any nests, we have a few known frequent spawn locations for things like machop, meowth, growlithe, vulpix, and supposedly things like charmander or exeggcute we have single spawns spread throughout the poorly planned infrastructure across great distances. There are two locations to get mons from consistent clustered lures. A historical park placed on two rivers, and our zoo and its surrounding park. I wish I could just drive to san francisco.

edit: as for dratini, that comes solely from water spawn rotation. I got like 5 now.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 24, 2016

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Tar_Squid posted:

Oh I have many Pidgey, Caterpie, and Weedle evolutions to do also. I was just not sure if it was worth it to burn a Lucky Egg on the two new evos plus the others I had banked up. But to be fair I'm running the game primarily on an iPhone 4s so it crashes constantly- and my Kindle requires me to be in Wifi range. But for evolutions I should be able to just run it on the Kindle. So its more a matter of 'how many evolutions can I fit inside the 30 minute window with the 'new pokedex entry' time registry.

You should use both during the lucky egg

edit: which Dragonite do I dump in a gym, the one with Hyper Beam or Dragon Claw?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Colonel Squish posted:

Did they gently caress with how gym battling works? Either my phone itself changed somehow, I'm on drugs today, or they made taps carry over to a couple seconds after you stop tapping and its hella frustrating to dodge

Eikre posted:

FYI, the update dropping today has a move-buffing function for gym battles. The first input you make after your Pokemon starts a move will cue up the action it takes immediately afterwards. Spam-tapping will gently caress up your dodging to high hell; on the other hand, there is absolutely no delay between attacks, not even to wait for the charge meter to fill. This is going to result in theoretical DPS calculations becoming far, far more practical.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Colonel Squish posted:

Yes. Taps queue up at least one deep. Don't tap more times than you intend to attack.

If you dodge all attacks it isn't too bad because you just get into a tap-tap-dodge pattern. But if you only dodge charge attacks it is a huge problem because now by the time you see the notification or notice the change in pattern you've probably already tapped the next attack and you have to sit there and watch you attacker eat a charge move.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Who wants to feel better about themselves?

Behold my most glorious pokemon

horns.aiff

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Dr Tran posted:

You should use both during the lucky egg

edit: which Dragonite do I dump in a gym, the one with Hyper Beam or Dragon Claw?

Probably Dragon Claw. Hyper Beam is easy to dodge. Steel Wing (the fast move) is the most important thing to have, though.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

Who wants to feel better about themselves?

Behold my most glorious pokemon

horns.aiff

Grats, man!

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

If you can actually check your phone safely then just catch it with your phone. The point of the plus is to catch pokemon and spin stops that you normally wouldn't even encounter because you are too busy to catch them or are driving, etc.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I heard it came with coins, how many does it give you?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I heard it came with coins, how many does it give you?

It does not.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Yes. Taps queue up at least one deep. Don't tap more times than you intend to attack.

If you dodge all attacks it isn't too bad because you just get into a tap-tap-dodge pattern. But if you only dodge charge attacks it is a huge problem because now by the time you see the notification or notice the change in pattern you've probably already tapped the next attack and you have to sit there and watch you attacker eat a charge move.

Yeah, that was my issue. I don't bother with basic attacks to save time but now I've got to anticipate charge moves a second before the normal indicators. I figured it was a bug but I guess I'll just have to readjust.

Spent the afternoon at Rehoboth Beach boardwalk today and was able to accrue ~75 Dratini candies in 4 hours or so. Dudes were spawning every 10-15 minutes and other players kept the entire area scanned on fastpokemap. Got Steel Wing/Dragon Claw on my first (80%) Dragonite.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Colonel Squish posted:

Yeah, that was my issue. I don't bother with basic attacks to save time but now I've got to anticipate charge moves a second before the normal indicators. I figured it was a bug but I guess I'll just have to readjust.

Spent the afternoon at Rehoboth Beach boardwalk today and was able to accrue ~75 Dratini candies in 4 hours or so. Dudes were spawning every 10-15 minutes and other players kept the entire area scanned on fastpokemap. Got Steel Wing/Dragon Claw on my first (80%) Dragonite.

Grats, man. That makes a good defensive dragon. If it's already a decent level, it may be worth powering up!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
At home playing a game and casually checking Fastpokemap and a Dragonite spawns 6 blocks down. Book it to the car, drive down and it's in this random apartment complex.

In a span of two minutes cars start piling in and parking like poo poo and others just pull to the side of the road, basically blocking traffic. Some people just park and walk over.

Finally caught the fucker after wiffing 15 ultra balls (had to turn AR on to even hit it, what the gently caress) and it's only 1100 CP. My Dragonaire is 1100 CP so I may wait to just to evolve it. Is steel wing/dragon pulse a decent moveset? Anyway, I ran out of my house without loving wearing pants, otherwise would've celebrated with the other nerds that pulled over.

r00kit Cavalry
Sep 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Louisgod posted:

At home playing a game and casually checking Fastpokemap and a Dragonite spawns 6 blocks down. Book it to the car, drive down and it's in this random apartment complex.

In a span of two minutes cars start piling in and parking like poo poo and others just pull to the side of the road, basically blocking traffic. Some people just park and walk over.

Finally caught the fucker after wiffing 15 ultra balls (had to turn AR on to even hit it, what the gently caress) and it's only 1100 CP. My Dragonaire is 1100 CP so I may wait to just to evolve it. Is steel wing/dragon pulse a decent moveset? Anyway, I ran out of my house without loving wearing pants, otherwise would've celebrated with the other nerds that pulled over.

yakman applewhite y u cheat at tribe d00d?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791272

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn69LJ0239E&t=2193s

https://www.playmidair.com/

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
ah I'm also mentally ill. Greetings.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

oh cool that rapist guy posts in games now

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nephzinho posted:

Used the Go+ on a looooong walk today and the thing must have a 50% escape rate. Granted without it I wouldn't have cracked a few eggs or been playing at all, but drat, it is a complete crapshoot keeping anything you "find".
Incidentally I pushed to level 20 with a Lucky Egg the other day and the catch rate of the Plus got way way more terrible than before. They really have to work in letting you pick ball choice at some point. I'll still burn off Pokeballs with it and see if I just hit an RNG slump or it really does jump as badly as it felt.

The uncaught yellow flash, Pokestop collecting and distance tracking still make it well worth the while for me though. I don't mind keeping a huge part of inventory for wasting Pokeballs since there are no gyms that can be battled anyway.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stealthgerbil posted:

If you can actually check your phone safely then just catch it with your phone. The point of the plus is to catch pokemon and spin stops that you normally wouldn't even encounter because you are too busy to catch them or are driving, etc.
This too, if you're out walking with it in a park or something just use it like battery saver and pop the phone on when you get a green or yellow light. If you're driving and can't pull off then you may as well push the button for even a yellow light, you probably weren't going to get it anyway and it's going to be hard to figure out where you 'saw' it even if you double back

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pokémon are real. Geodude is real, and strong, and he's my friend.

Getting 1 candy for every kilometer might have spoiled me when it comes to other buddies.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This game is a lot less fun now it's basically impossible to take over any gym anymore cause they're all level 10 with even the lowest Pokemon having over 2000 CP

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Eikre posted:

FYI, the update dropping today has a move-buffing function for gym battles. The first input you make after your Pokemon starts a move will cue up the action it takes immediately afterwards. Spam-tapping will gently caress up your dodging to high hell; on the other hand, there is absolutely no delay between attacks, not even to wait for the charge meter to fill. This is going to result in theoretical DPS calculations becoming far, far more practical.

Just what I needed; a buff to bubble strat :getin:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BrianBoitano posted:

Watch out when doing it with a gym having other defenders because of you tap once too many times the attack carries over to the next battle. It makes it easy to get KOed because you can't flee quickly enough.

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

BrianBoitano posted:

I just started to bubble strat up a gym. I got it to level 5 before anyone put something in it: A 280ish CP pikachu. Ok whatever, some dude didn't check to see that there were 4 open slots and just slammed something in real fast, no problem.

When I got it to around level 7 someone actually undercut my 21cp horsea with a 10cp rattata.

Why am I even helping these people.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Box wine posted:

666km it took go figure :toot: May the snow fall in Chicago now till the next generation is released.

you did this chicago? how? my wife and I only have half full pokedexes in Evanston despite being level 24 and 21 respectively

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

CrashCat posted:

Incidentally I pushed to level 20 with a Lucky Egg the other day and the catch rate of the Plus got way way more terrible than before. They really have to work in letting you pick ball choice at some point. I'll still burn off Pokeballs with it and see if I just hit an RNG slump or it really does jump as badly as it felt.

The uncaught yellow flash, Pokestop collecting and distance tracking still make it well worth the while for me though. I don't mind keeping a huge part of inventory for wasting Pokeballs since there are no gyms that can be battled anyway.

Yeah, I have been using the plus in situations where I wouldn't have been doing anything normally. Walking around with friends or colleagues, driving, trains, etc. It helps get eggs and candies and stops, but for capture it is incredibly unreliable. Think I'm just going to stop looking at the Journal after long sessions with it because its painful to see flees on starters/anything i am actually looking for.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Shifty Pony posted:

Watch out when doing it with a gym having other defenders because of you tap once too many times the attack carries over to the next battle. It makes it easy to get KOed because you can't flee quickly enough.

Great way to burn revives and potions

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Escobarbarian posted:

This game is a lot less fun now it's basically impossible to take over any gym anymore cause they're all level 10 with even the lowest Pokemon having over 2000 CP
I was in bumfuck somewhere yesterday and the gyms were still loaded with 2000 cp Snorlaxes etc. Beginning to think they really need some alternative kind of battle or I'll be flushing potions down the drain forever

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

mastershakeman posted:

you did this chicago? how? my wife and I only have half full pokedexes in Evanston despite being level 24 and 21 respectively

Go to Adler Planetarium for rares, and look for other special spawn nests! Chicago has most of the NA pokémon pretty easily available one place or another.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Pogo button update: having trouble accurately multimetering the leads. Going to try again when I have free time. Was able to measure when the LED goes off pretty easily though, but that was never really the hard part I think.

mastershakeman posted:

I'm ~3 away in Chicago right now, and probably would be done if I'd played at all in the last few weeks. If you just hang out at Adler planetarium long enough your pokedex will fill up. Also, try visiting the /r/PokemonGoChi subreddit to see where nests are of stuff you're missing. But really it's just about putting in a ton of time -- e.g. I've also played literally ~10 times more than y'all, at level 33.

e: You might not want to play 10x more though, I don't think I would've gotten there if I didn't get super into a few podcasts and use Pogo as listening time.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I was having problems logging into the game on my home wifi after the previous update, so my solution was to turn off wifi and use mobile data when I was at home until I could figure out a proper solution.

Now with this new update, the game will not load at all using mobile data.

I swear they are doing this deliberately. Were too many people playing your game, Niantic? What the gently caress.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Jamesman posted:

I was having problems logging into the game on my home wifi after the previous update, so my solution was to turn off wifi and use mobile data when I was at home until I could figure out a proper solution.

Now with this new update, the game will not load at all using mobile data.

I swear they are doing this deliberately. Were too many people playing your game, Niantic? What the gently caress.

Have you gotten the new new patch that dropped a few hours ago?

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

Father Wendigo posted:

jesus christ niantic stop updating your game. Oh it's only 6.3mb anyways.

edit: guy calls cops on pokenerds in a park. cause they think they own it by having homes in the area. also hypodermic needles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmO--9BAeWg

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 26, 2016

4hourspdrvnmbnr
Sep 23, 2016

Afgad posted:

I just started to bubble strat up a gym. I got it to level 5 before anyone put something in it: A 280ish CP pikachu. Ok whatever, some dude didn't check to see that there were 4 open slots and just slammed something in real fast, no problem.

When I got it to around level 7 someone actually undercut my 21cp horsea with a 10cp rattata.

Why am I even helping these people.

When I see level 10 cp Pokemon in gyms I always assume those Pokemon are owned by little kids.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

4hourspdrvnmbnr posted:

When I see level 10 cp Pokemon in gyms I always assume those Pokemon are owned by little kids.

Mentally they are

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Eyochigan posted:

jesus christ niantic stop updating your game. Oh it's only 6.3mb anyways.

edit: guy calls cops on pokenerds in a park. cause they think they own it by having homes in the area. also hypodermic needles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmO--9BAeWg

this video is pretty hilarious

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Here are my new favorite bugs from the most recent update:
1) When you click on a pokestop, your Avatar still exists so sometimes a huge head just walks by as you're spinning the stop
2) Sometimes the entire UI just moves down the screen like 1/2" for no reason, rendering all of the buttons unreachable until you force restart the app

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Centzon Totochtin posted:

1) When you click on a pokestop, your Avatar still exists so sometimes a huge head just walks by as you're spinning the stop

This is fun :downs:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Father Wendigo posted:

I have .39.1. If there's anything more recent than that, it hasn't popped up on the Play Store for me yet.

Hopefully that will fix the mobile data issue though. Still, it seems every new update they've been coming out with just breaks the game more and more and maybe they need to get their poo poo together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

There's a rumour going around that gyarados got dragon breath back.

• Locked thread