Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

quote:

"You're not just a little boy any more. I can see that you're capable of great things. Who knows -- play your cards right and you may be a greater fisherman than your old man one day!"

At this point I'm 6 stars into Champion. Champion has a character model that has a floating scroll behind my head help in place presumably by my sheer divine power. I've rebuilt the world. I killed satan and resurrected god. Almost every civilization in the world has a legend about me specifically. Just who do you think you're talking to little man. Peel your own drat potatos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

insanityv2 posted:

At this point I'm 6 stars into Champion. Champion has a character model that has a floating scroll behind my head help in place presumably by my sheer divine power. I've rebuilt the world. I killed satan and resurrected god. Almost every civilization in the world has a legend about me specifically. Just who do you think you're talking to little man. Peel your own drat potatos.

Look man, none of that poo poo is gonna help haul the fish in.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I made somebody in my party a healslime and now a healslime follows me around all the time and I may rename him Healie

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Oy I was so enthralled with DQ7 that I impulse purchased DQ8 for my phone. No voice acting and portrait mode only, touchscreen controls are awkward. Bad decision on my part.

Maybe if I look again I can find my ps2 copy....

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
It's... mildly strange how many people I've encountered in this game that were just peeing against a wall.

Two of those people I made urinate on themselves because apparently I surprised them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Moriveth posted:

It's... mildly strange how many people I've encountered in this game that were just peeing against a wall.

Two of those people I made urinate on themselves because apparently I surprised them.

How strange is it really. Think about it. In all your travels have you ever once seen a bathroom?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My brother said that a good chunk of IX isn't available anymore because it requires the WiFi connection which has been shut down. Is that true?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

My brother said that a good chunk of IX isn't available anymore because it requires the WiFi connection which has been shut down. Is that true?

Officially, yes. There are ways around it, all of which are annoying. Users of emulators and flash carts can load up save files that have already activated all of the internet content. I seem to recall it being possible to host a fake server that can unlock it, but may have imagined that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so in precipice pass, there is supposed to be a medal in the graveyard. is it actually there?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bongo Bill posted:

Officially, yes. There are ways around it, all of which are annoying. Users of emulators and flash carts can load up save files that have already activated all of the internet content. I seem to recall it being possible to host a fake server that can unlock it, but may have imagined that.

Use a flash cart with cheats and just unlock it all.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Decus posted:

You said not to say this earlier but I don't think this series is for you if you view talking to NPCs as a chore. It's kind of the primary means of exposition and you're meant to want to talk to everybody not to find the one trigger to advance and get this over and done with but to gleam the story of the area before, during and after your arrival. Complaining about copy-pasted models is another thing that's kind of at-odds with the series--it's like the menus where you're either charmed by them or absolutely hate them.

The back-tracking can be more of an annoyance due to the symbol encounters and holy water/similar effects wanting you to be over-leveled for them to work but that's also the sort of annoyance that isn't there as heavily when you're not playing 50+ hours in the span of a few days. Did you spend 70% of the last few days playing DQ7?

Bad dungeon design is going to be frustrating no matter how you pace your play though. That, party members abruptly leaving, and the bad class system were the big problems with the game. And one was fixed!

More importantly, Maribel's portrait owns and Gabo has a buddy now so this is a good remake imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

This would make a scarily good av

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Loving the story and gameplay integration in this (what I assume is) final part of the game. I just feel like even if I was as vague as possible I'd still spoil it so I just won't say anything.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

GobiasIndustries posted:

It's a bunch of extra content which is essentially pointless and bad anyways

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I thought DQ7 of all games would be immune to people rushing through to beat it in one weekend

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i got the game before release and i'm still an island away from getting fourth party remember

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

so in precipice pass, there is supposed to be a medal in the graveyard. is it actually there?

Yes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
How should I be distributing my seeds in DQ7?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I've been kinda stuck for a day or so. I get demolished by the bandits by Alltrades Abbey in the Present. Any good spots to grind? I've been currently grinding in the same area but in the past. Or should I even be grinding?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

How should I be distributing my seeds in DQ7?

Hero and Ruff never leave you or take forever to show up

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Hey the new DLC tablets are available.

Detective No. 27 posted:

So I've been kinda stuck for a day or so. I get demolished by the bandits by Alltrades Abbey in the Present. Any good spots to grind? I've been currently grinding in the same area but in the past. Or should I even be grinding?

If you're less than 20, the slime tablet is a way to quickly level job levels. You can try using a Hatchet Man to take out a metal doll from the tablet DLC for levels, but that risks taking you out of the job level cap, so I'd not recommend it. The necessity of grinding depends a lot on your job and equipment set-up, but with a decent set-up shouldn't be needed at this point.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Detective No. 27 posted:

Level someone in Pirate or Paladin, both classes get Thin Air which is a very strong attack-all ability. Any encounters in the tablet dungeons at The Haven will get you job levels.

Looper posted:

More importantly, Maribel's portrait owns and Gabo has a buddy now so this is a good remake imo

Gabo is great in party chat. He always wants to be friends with people. :3:

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

Mountaineer posted:

Level someone in Pirate or Paladin, both classes get Thin Air which is a very strong attack-all ability. Any encounters in the tablet dungeons at The Haven will get you job levels.

Gabo is great in party chat. He always wants to be friends with people. :3:

That or he's hungry.

Also when you stand in place for a few seconds, he rests his head on his wolf!

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

insanityv2 posted:

How strange is it really. Think about it. In all your travels have you ever once seen a bathroom?

What did you think all those pots you've been breaking are for?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Moriveth posted:

That or he's hungry.

Also when you stand in place for a few seconds, he rests his head on his wolf!

his foster mom :3

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Do the tablet dungeons have level caps? Cause I hit 20 already just by beating the Alltrades story. And now I can't get job levels.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Harlock posted:

Do the tablet dungeons have level caps? Cause I hit 20 already just by beating the Alltrades story. And now I can't get job levels.

I've heard the received ones do but the created ones don't. Slime should cap at 20 but later ones have a higher cap. After 6th recruited tablet should not have a cap.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 25, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I also feel like every guide is loving with me. Trying to find the cook for The Haven and everyone says the Pub in Emberdale. Emberdale doesn't have a pub.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Harlock posted:

I also feel like every guide is loving with me. Trying to find the cook for The Haven and everyone says the Pub in Emberdale. Emberdale doesn't have a pub.

it has the stage with the dancer

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

It's not marked on the map, it should be one of the buildings near the priest's house in Emberdale

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Any dungeon from the cook until the sailor caps at 23 or 24, I forget which. The DLC tablets and anything beyond that never cap.

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

Wow, the Sunken Citadel is some rough-rear end poo poo. Granted I'm mainly saying that because a Mimic one-shotted Maribel on its first turn, but still.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
one thing I do really enjoy about DQ7 and the series in general is the sheer variety of mimics

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Ability bloat sure is a thing on my Gladiator. Like 3 pages of Offensive attacks that are all a variation of "hit hard". I wish they were a bit more transparent about what all the skills actually do. I mean, what is even the difference between Pressure Pointer, Flying Knee and Knuckle Sandwich?

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 25, 2016

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Ability bloat sure is a thing on my Gladiator. Like 3 pages of Offensive attacks that are all a variation of "hit hard". I wish they were a bit more transparent about what all the skills actually do. I mean, what is even the difference between Pressure Pointer, Flying Knee and Knuckle Sandwich?

That's weird, the other games are pretty detailed about Pressure Pointer at least (crap damage or instakill). Knuckle Sandwich is weird if it works like 6 since it's just straight up double damage in one hit (unlike stuff like Falcon Slash and Multifists which don't get nearly as much out of Oomph) but it can miss since its treated as a status ailment like Whack or Snooze.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
For someone who hasn't played vii what do tablets do? I don't remember them in the ps1 version but that was a hundred years ago and I never finished it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think Flying Knee does extra damage to enemies that are, well, flying. A lot of skills are crapshoots though. I wish they told me things like Stomp sometimes outright fails, or Harvest Moon does more damage against a single target as opposed to two, or maybe told me what spells/abilities using an item in-battle will give me before I spend inordinate amounts of money on buying it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Harlock posted:

Where is the one after this? They are pointing me to town of ancestors of heroes and I'm not sure what that is. ugh these are going to get so much more annoying than fetch quests aren't there. Want to get Drake and Healslimes quickly as I'm on Alltrades finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Where is the one after this? They are pointing me to town of ancestors of heroes and I'm not sure what that is. ugh these are going to get so much more annoying than fetch quests aren't there. Want to get Drake and Healslimes quickly as I'm on Alltrades finally.

that'd be la bravoura. the places you haven't been are marked on the world map.

also, there is a healslime heart in a chest there.