Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Selachian posted:

Well, I'm biased given I was thirteen when the original first aired, but ... it's dumb fun. It coasts heavily on Richard Dean Anderson's charm, and I suspect it hasn't aged particularly well.

But it was a million billion times better than the dogshit CBS put on last night, which managed to miss just about everything that made the original fun.

I haven't seen the new one and kind of don't want to because I'm sure it's just the hottest of trash, but yeah, MacGyver was very much of its time, and while I loving love it I know that a ton of that is nostalgia. You can also see a bunch of actors that went on to star in Stargate SG1 with RDA appear in bit parts on MacGyver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While reading about a different adaptation I was reminded that AMC is working on doing a show based on the Joe Hill novel NOS4A2. The book mainly follows two characters, a young woman with the supernatural ability to open shortcuts in space and an old man who was convicted of kidnapping children in the 80s and how their lives intercross over the years. Its a pretty bleak book and jumps around in time a lot so it could be quite a lot of work to adapt for TV.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

The Pitch pilot glorifies abusive parenting a bit much, no?

That is basically the key to sports success.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aphrodite posted:

That is basically the key to sports success.

Behind every great athlete is a dad who felt unfulfilled in life and thrust his expectations on his child.

Also applies to the Jackson children.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy fuckin poo poo season 5 of Longmire is out! I thought they were still filming.

gently caress yes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

Behind every great athlete is a dad who felt unfulfilled in life and thrust his expectations on his child.

Honestly, considering that the dance/pageant/stage moms of little girls have been national laughingstocks for the better part of a decade I am happy to finally see the exact same kind of abuse that boys have to suffer with competitive sports brought to light and held to the same scrutiny.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Game of Thrones' last couple of episodes were pretty spectacular in terms of mise en scene and editing- like, the finale was pretty beautifully composed. Arguably they're veering too much into giving the fans what they want (which is different from making the best show you can) but that was a hell of a payoff.

Outside of that most of the shows I follow are comedies, which usually aren't visually amazing but are more about the writing and the acting.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Game of Thrones' last couple of episodes were pretty spectacular in terms of mise en scene and editing- like, the finale was pretty beautifully composed.

I haven't thought much about GoT's editing. Is there anything in particular that stands out to you about it?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Pilot for the original MacGyver was terrific but the rest of the series wasn't as exciting. The new version just went straight to terrible. The last bit of my dwindling interest disappeared with the introduction of generic hacker chic.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I found myself grotesquely fascinated by the way they kept repeating every plot point four times.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

blue squares posted:

Which currently airing TV show is your favorite from an artistic standpoint, specifically in regards to cinematography and mise-en-scène? I think Breaking Bad was king, but its been off the air for three years now and I'm wondering which show has taken its place as the leader of the pack. Mr. Robot's cinematography really impresses me, and I think Breaking Bad was a big influence on it's visual style.

Cake Boss

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone here watch Longmire? Thoughts on it? I watched the first few episodes when it first came out but never kept up with it. I was surprised to see that it's up to 5 seasons, and has pretty good reviews on IMDB and Netflix.

Snak posted:

Holy fuckin poo poo season 5 of Longmire is out! I thought they were still filming.

gently caress yes.

Not sure how I missed this. Would you recommend on picking up the show from season 1?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 25, 2016

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It was never clear to me how the Don caught on that Barzini was pulling the shenanigans even before the Tessio betrayal was revealed

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Bill Nunn, best known as Radio Raheem, has died of cancer at 62.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone here watch Longmire? Thoughts on it? I watched the first few episodes when it first came out but never kept up with it. I was surprised to see that it's up to 5 seasons, and has pretty good reviews on IMDB and Netflix.

Not sure how I missed this. Would you recommend on picking up the show from season 1?

Yes, watch the whole thing. Season 1 is definitely weak at the beginning, and has a lot of procedural/case of the week bullshit, but it becomes highly serialized. Just watch it all. It gets really good, but you can't really "skip to the good part" cause it's kind of a slow burn character drama.

I have never read the books that its based on, but it feels like a book adaption, and I mean that in a good way. It's like a modern western mystery novel on the screen.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vegetable posted:

It was never clear to me how the Don caught on that Barzini was pulling the shenanigans even before the Tessio betrayal was revealed

This has always bugged me as well.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Wonder if every week Ms Pitcher is gonna solve her problems by flashing back to a time when ghost Dad abused her.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

She's going to bone Zack Morris, and he's going to be there watching her the whole time, criticising her technique.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The dad definitely physically abused the brother more. I don't think that was the only time he slapped him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Say hello to AB 1687, a new California law that requires websites that maintain actor databases (like IMDB) to remove an actor's age at their request.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

STAC Goat posted:

Also, never watch Trophy Kids.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

Say hello to AB 1687, a new California law that requires websites that maintain actor databases (like IMDB) to remove an actor's age at their request.

So IMDB moves their servers out of the US and they can't do poo poo right?

Oh and gently caress California.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny part is that it was spearheaded by SAG-AFTRA head Gabrielle Carteris who you might remember as one of the actors who was way too old to be playing a teenager on 90210.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm going to troll through every single entry on IMDB and create a database of every known actors name and birthdate and then frequently tweet the url where you can download it at her.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why do you even care about their age

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Why do you even care about their age

I NEED TO KNOW WHO I AM AGING BETTER THAN.

But clearly she gives a poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can see why actresses care since it keeps them from getting jobs. I thought IMDB was like a wiki thing anyway and you can't trust half the things on there already.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

The dad definitely physically abused the brother more. I don't think that was the only time he slapped him.

And he uses the physical abuse of his son to psychologically torture his daughter lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Entertainment Tonight used to have a whole "Happy Birthday" segment every day where they'd shout everyone's ages to the moon and back. I imagine it is fairly easy to track this info down.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This has always bugged me as well.
Lol my bad, wrong thread

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You also can't really stop Wikipedia anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rhyno posted:

So IMDB moves their servers out of the US and they can't do poo poo right?

Oh and gently caress California.

Fun fact to nobody apart from me: IMDb isn't an American site, it was developed in my hometown university in the UK. It's been US based for years though.

If it's not hosted in Cali, does it have to listen to their laws given that they're local? Or does the fact it's in the US and accessible from CA mean they need to listen?

The 90210 connection is hilarious. She was like 30 playing that part, and only convincingly enough because of SDTV I'm sure.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I can see why actresses care since it keeps them from getting jobs. I thought IMDB was like a wiki thing anyway and you can't trust half the things on there already.

Pretending that the ages can't be looked up doesn't exactly fix the problem.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Making age harder to look up does help fix the problem. It makes the actor more likely to be judged by appearances/performance than their age. Removing even the tiniest barrier to ageism is a big deal to actors, especially female ones

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Bill Nunn, best known as Radio Raheem, has died of cancer at 62.

gently caress cancer. Also this year has been rough as gently caress. :smith:

I just rewatched Do The Right Thing last week, too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It just strikes me as weird as one of the first thing you see on someone's page is their age. Why does it even matter? It reminds me of how journalists used to list the age and the measurements of actresses when they did interviews. Why do I need to know that X person has a 32-16-20 whatever measurements?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Making age harder to look up does help fix the problem. It makes the actor more likely to be judged by appearances/performance than their age. Removing even the tiniest barrier to ageism is a big deal to actors, especially female ones

Except this really would only effect the casual public. Anyone on the casting side who is actually going to discriminate based on age will have any number of other ways to check out an actor's age.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

And he uses the physical abuse of his son to psychologically torture his daughter lol

I didn't realize this while watching but if you even do a surface level analysis the show then there are some weird loving implications here.

So ok, biology stops women from having a level playing field, sure show. But then, what makes her capable of bridging that gap is the abuse and expectations of man. Already it is starting to get weird. Then in the first match, when lacking that abuse and torturing herself due to her male teammates expectations, she bombs and cannot perform. It is only when another abusive man steps into her life and gives an inspiring speech that she is able to what she has always been able to do. This apparently works because it reminds her of her abusive father hitting her brother...? And she feels comfort in remembering how her father abused her psychologically and her brother physically...?

It just feels so schizophrenic. In the show she's supposed to be this female empowerment symbol, but as the audience we get to see that she apparently defines her self-worth entirely based on the abusive men in her life to the point that she has vivid hallucinations of her dead father watching over her. What are you going for here show?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Except this really would only effect the casual public. Anyone on the casting side who is actually going to discriminate based on age will have any number of other ways to check out an actor's age.
Age discrimination doesn't always happen like a witchhunt with casting directors digging up their actors' ages. It can be a simple matter of checking out Julie Bowen's body of work on IMDB, happening to see she's 46, and dismissing her from consideration for a 30-something role.

Obviously we have no real insight into how casting directors work. But the actors' paranoia isn't misplaced. Every barrier to ageism counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6l62WfRiKs

• Locked thread