Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
The more transhumanist movies we have out there the better. As long as it has cool action scenes it will do well in theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Hamelekim posted:

The more transhumanist movies we have out there the better. As long as it has cool action scenes it will do well in theaters.
The problem with transhumanism is that its adherents seem to think they are important enough to be worthy of immortality. If anything, these tales are cautionary.

That aside, yeah, the movie is a bit heavy on the "look, Japan!" element, especially since the film is set in Hong Kong for (some dumb reason).

K. Waste posted:

I think it's time to just watch Snow White and the Huntsmen, already.
You have had years to be warned. Why do this to yourself?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

phasmid posted:

The problem with transhumanism is that its adherents seem to think they are important enough to be worthy of immortality. If anything, these tales are cautionary.

Yeah, it attracts those weirdo Silicon Valley technolibertarians like Rob Rhinehart, a guy who wears a brand new nomex flightsuit everyday while trying to huck his Soylent meal replacement poo poo to homeless people; Oculus founder and Trump supporter Palmer Luckey, who has claimed that the early adopters of VR will be poor third-worlders because they have supposedly have more to escape from like poverty and starvation than Westerners; or upcoming vampire overlord, PayPal founder Peter Thiel.

phasmid posted:

That aside, yeah, the movie is a bit heavy on the "look, Japan!" element, especially since the film is set in Hong Kong for (some dumb reason).

It's even of Hong Kong that no longer exists: Kowloon got loving razed in the early '90s, the international airport diverted the air traffic from Kai Tak that made famous all those Hong Kong flyover landings (and air crashes), and the neon signs are largely being replaced by more efficient LED lighting as well as by increasing government regulation.

It's akin to making a movie set in future New York today where there's 24-hour grindhouse theaters, open prostitution and drug dealing in post-Giuliani, Disneyified Time Square.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Transhumanism, much like Libertarianism, is a very good way to figure out how much of a piece of poo poo someone is.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

phasmid posted:

In the manga turning into a cyborg is literally an extreme form of cosmetic surgery. Military cyborgs like the major are in the minority. A whole chapter is dedicated to explaining the process. This while old people who can't afford the process or to retire to somewhere warm are thrown out into the street together with the trash.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Renoistic posted:

In the manga turning into a cyborg is literally an extreme form of cosmetic surgery. Military cyborgs like the major are in the minority. A whole chapter is dedicated to explaining the process. This while old people who can't afford the process or to retire to somewhere warm are thrown out into the street together with the trash.

Isn't that where the Solid State Society came in? Iirc it was a bunch of olds who accrued lots of money and piled it together, then kidnapped orphans so they could transfer their "ghosts" in to new hosts. That's what I got anyway. The ending was so weird, I wasn't quite sure how the plot resolved. They implied it was Kuze behind it, but that seems uncharacteristic of him. Also, what a perfect chance to off Togusa in a poignant way...but it's cool that he was a meaningful enough character to keep him around, as unlikely as his salvation was.

say tan
Sep 25, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Renoistic posted:

In the manga, Japan is a welfare state but it's like the worst form of it since the baseline isn't a satisfaction of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, it's you're homeless but not starving. Remember that poo poo I was talking about Soylent and how they want homeless people to eat it? There's a bit in GITS2.0 where a can of...something is dropped down a chute and homeless people fight over it. It's like the end form of that, totally disconnected, "be grateful you slobs have our largess and don't complain"...

phasmid posted:

Isn't that where the Solid State Society came in? Iirc it was a bunch of olds who accrued lots of money and piled it together, then kidnapped orphans so they could transfer their "ghosts" in to new hosts. That's what I got anyway. The ending was so weird, I wasn't quite sure how the plot resolved. They implied it was Kuze behind it, but that seems uncharacteristic of him. Also, what a perfect chance to off Togusa in a poignant way...but it's cool that he was a meaningful enough character to keep him around, as unlikely as his salvation was.

Actually an aspect of Kusanagi is behind that plot

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Young Freud posted:

In the manga, Japan is a welfare state but it's like the worst form of it since the baseline isn't a satisfaction of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, it's you're homeless but not starving. Remember that poo poo I was talking about Soylent and how they want homeless people to eat it? There's a bit in GITS2.0 where a can of...something is dropped down a chute and homeless people fight over it. It's like the end form of that, totally disconnected, "be grateful you slobs have our largess and don't complain"...

Hmmmm does the whole anime ? Have little foot notes? I think I could tolerate it enough to read the anime.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah there are a bunch of footnotes, author notes and one-page 'snapshots' of future life scattered throughout the comic. Shirow had kind of the same thing going on as Neil Stevenson (sci-fi author) where sometimes his characters will go off on tangents or long conversations about stuff that are clearly things that the author himself thinks are cool and just wants to tell people about. It's pretty neat in the first comic and adds a ton of life to the setting. Gets weirder in his later stuff though.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Young Freud posted:

Huh. I didn't take that away from it, so it might be time to re-watch it.

Yeah, even a guy like Shirow who is obviously a real technophile puts in warnings about the future. Generally, there's enough poverty and squalor to be glaring, even if the main characters mostly ignore it. Even relative "nice guys" like Aramaki aren't concerned with such things, either because they're trivial or inevitable under their current way of life.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

phasmid posted:

Huh. I didn't take that away from it, so it might be time to re-watch it.

I know the V For Vendetta cavalcade of faces that shows when Kusanagi is looking at that guy's blown-off face makes it confusing, but it ends Kusanagi looking at herself. Also, watch the scene where Kusanagi's room of doubles is introduced, because you can see that guy leaving.. It's also a trope that comes up often in the source material rereading through one of the chapters tonight, the unseen South American narcoterrorist "Anaconda" that Section 1 is making deals with Kusanagi's old terrorist enemy is supposedly Kusanagi herself, whom she and Aramaki set up to so as to control terror groups since it's easier to neutralize them that way instead of killing them. Kusanagi-vs.-Kusanagi trope is much more explicit in GITS2.0 - Man Machine Interface, since Motoko Aramaki's literally fighting the Motoko-Puppeteer merged children that she herself is one as well as showing up in ARISE the bomber is supposedly using some sort of software copy of Kusanagi-as-terrorist to become self-radicalized and learn how to make bombs..

phasmid posted:

Yeah, even a guy like Shirow who is obviously a real technophile puts in warnings about the future. Generally, there's enough poverty and squalor to be glaring, even if the main characters mostly ignore it. Even relative "nice guys" like Aramaki aren't concerned with such things, either because they're trivial or inevitable under their current way of life.

"Appleseed" is a lot more of cautious. He's said that he did his worldbuilding conservatively, otherwise he felt that that world would have blown themselves up and be nothing but cockroaches. The second book is where is probably the best example of that, where the Olympus council of bioroids, genetically-engineered humans with extremely regulated bodies made to serve and help man, essentially decides that humanity isn't worth saving (complete with a bioroid senator that looks a lot like a famous German dictator smiling at the thought) and it's better to force transition them into being bioroids without their consent.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

phasmid posted:

You do know that the O.G. GITS movie was based off Hong Kong, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell_(1995_film)#Design posted:

Oshii based the setting for Ghost in the Shell on Hong Kong. Oshii commented that his first thought to find an image of the future setting was an Asian city, but finding a suitable cityscape of the future would be impossible. Oshii chose to use the real streets of Hong Kong as his model.[7] He also said that Hong Kong was the perfect subject and theme for the film with its countless signs and the cacophony of sounds.[4] The film's mecha designer Takeuchi Atsushi noted that while the film does not have a chosen setting, it is obviously based on Hong Kong because the city represented the theme of the film, the old and the new which exist in a strange relationship in an age of an information deluge. Before shooting the film, the artists drew sketches that emphasized Hong Kong's chaotic, confusing and overwhelming aspects.[7]

I don't think where it's physically set has to make much difference as long as they get the atmosphere they're going for.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Young Freud posted:

I know the V For Vendetta cavalcade of faces that shows when Kusanagi is looking at that guy's blown-off face makes it confusing, but it ends Kusanagi looking at herself. Also, watch the scene where Kusanagi's room of doubles is introduced, because you can see that guy leaving.. It's also a trope that comes up often in the source material rereading through one of the chapters tonight, the unseen South American narcoterrorist "Anaconda" that Section 1 is making deals with Kusanagi's old terrorist enemy is supposedly Kusanagi herself, whom she and Aramaki set up to so as to control terror groups since it's easier to neutralize them that way instead of killing them. Kusanagi-vs.-Kusanagi trope is much more explicit in GITS2.0 - Man Machine Interface, since Motoko Aramaki's literally fighting the Motoko-Puppeteer merged children that she herself is one as well as showing up in ARISE the bomber is supposedly using some sort of software copy of Kusanagi-as-terrorist to become self-radicalized and learn how to make bombs..
That explains a lot of the little deja vu sequences throughout the shows/movies, along with Kusanagi's disappearance prior to act one of SAC. I'm assuming though, that since the people making the various shows/movies might be playing loose with the canon, that there's a lot of stuff that's just put in there to be all :catdrugs:

Young Freud posted:

"Appleseed" is a lot more of cautious. He's said that he did his worldbuilding conservatively, otherwise he felt that that world would have blown themselves up and be nothing but cockroaches. The second book is where is probably the best example of that, where the Olympus council of bioroids, genetically-engineered humans with extremely regulated bodies made to serve and help man, essentially decides that humanity isn't worth saving (complete with a bioroid senator that looks a lot like a famous German dictator smiling at the thought) and it's better to force transition them into being bioroids without their consent.
You, Young Freud, are the reason that I am going to finally watch Appleseed after twenty years of ignoring it.

DeusExMachinima posted:

You do know that the O.G. GITS movie was based off Hong Kong, right?

I don't think where it's physically set has to make much difference as long as they get the atmosphere they're going for.
I had read that, yes, but since everyone had Japanese names, I thought it was pretty much granted that they were in Japan. Lots of movies do things like that, even live action. Like, they'll say "Seoul" and show a prominent building in Melbourne, then show a sky line of some other city. I think there's a distinction between taking inspiration from how a city looks and doing what appears to be "the reason the Major is not Japanese is because she's in China, okaaaaaaay?"

Reserving judgement, but I'm not expecting a movie that gives you the kinds of twists and warps and flat-out mind-fuckery of some of the better GitS fare. I'm basically expecting Aeon Flux: a great concept that Hollywood hacked to bits because they can't do adaptations right unless its some Oscar bait poo poo. Also, this director did that one movie and it's going to be hard to forgive him for that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

I mean, there's a tiny bit of stuff about how your gender doesn't really matter when you can stick your brain into a new body but it doesn't really come up. I think Batou asks the Major why she isn't in a male body once in Arise or SAC but I can't think of any characters offhand that are explicitly stated to be trans or in a body that doesn't match their gender.

Been a long time since I watched the anime and movie but I thought it was kept really ambiguous whether the Major's original biological body, that she lost as a child, was really male or female. And I guess it doesn't matter.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

phasmid posted:

I had read that, yes, but since everyone had Japanese names, I thought it was pretty much granted that they were in Japan. Lots of movies do things like that, even live action. Like, they'll say "Seoul" and show a prominent building in Melbourne, then show a sky line of some other city. I think there's a distinction between taking inspiration from how a city looks and doing what appears to be "the reason the Major is not Japanese is because she's in China, okaaaaaaay?"

Most of the GitS animated adaptations take place in a Hong-Kong knockoff city in Japan that rises to prominence after the Kanto region (Tokyo etc) are destroyed. In the original movie and Innocence I don't think they ever come right out and name it though it's obviously HK with the serial numbers filed off. In SAC it's explicitly called Niihama, and in Arise it's New Port City.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DarkSol posted:

Are Kenji Kawai's other works as good as the original GitS soundtrack is?

gently caress and yes. Him, Yuki Kaijura, and Shiro Sagisu are the best composers currently working in anime.

(Yoko Kanno and Susumu Hirasawa would fill out a "top 5 ever" but I think they're both semi-retired? I know Hirasawa mostly focuses on his own music and just occasionally contributes to Berserk stuff nowadays, I'm way less sure about Kanno.)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

gently caress and yes. Him, Yuki Kaijura, and Shiro Sagisu are the best composers currently working in anime.

(Yoko Kanno and Susumu Hirasawa would fill out a "top 5 ever" but I think they're both semi-retired? I know Hirasawa mostly focuses on his own music and just occasionally contributes to Berserk stuff nowadays, I'm way less sure about Kanno.)

Here's an interview with her from a couple of years ago: http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2014/11/yoko-kanno-interview

She is continuing to work at a slightly slower pace than ten years ago, but doesn't look like she's quitting anytime soon.

She looks the same as she did when I met her in 1999; IS SHE A CYBORG?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it attracts those weirdo Silicon Valley

The liberal side of Silicon Valley is just as guilty of this. Amazon providing laptops and teaching code to refugees in Africa, has more to do with procuring consumer data than actual charity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yFhR1fKWG0

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

phasmid posted:

You, Young Freud, are the reason that I am going to finally watch Appleseed after twenty years of ignoring it.

Oh man, I'd just find the manga. I have not been happy with any Appleseed anime adaptation, TBH. They tend to oversimplify a lot of stuff to a heavy degree. They've also whitewashed the leads: the manga Deunan is specifically mentioned to be an octoroon and "darker than other Caucasians" and Briaeros' original body before being cyborged was I believe North African. Deunan's entire backstory was rewritten to make her more relevant to the plot of the Shinji Aramaki movie and Ex Machina made a clone of Briaeros a white dude.

Fake edit: Oh man, rereading that chapter, I forgot how casual racist Deunan was.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

FuturePastNow posted:

Been a long time since I watched the anime and movie but I thought it was kept really ambiguous whether the Major's original biological body, that she lost as a child, was really male or female. And I guess it doesn't matter.

It might be in some of the other canons, but in SAC she was explicitly a little girl before being cyberized: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgico_Psbgk

One of the things I hate most about Arise is that they decided not to go the route of the movie and manga and leave her backstory completely ambiguous, but also tossed out her completely plausible backstory from SAC for the ridiculous "I was cyberized in the womb" thing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Darth Nat posted:

It might be in some of the other canons, but in SAC she was explicitly a little girl before being cyberized: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgico_Psbgk

One of the things I hate most about Arise is that they decided not to go the route of the movie and manga and leave her backstory completely ambiguous, but also tossed out her completely plausible backstory from SAC for the ridiculous "I was cyberized in the womb" thing.

Ah, excellent. I'd blanked on the details of the story. It's been a while.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Young Freud posted:

Fake edit: Oh man, rereading that chapter, I forgot how casual racist Deunan was.

Shirow's protags tend to be a bit controversial. The Major has this bit in the manga where she sees a protest against extrajudicial killings and is all 'Those plebs don't know what they're talking about, pathetic'. Leona from Tank Police would mow down semi-peaceful protesters on several occasions if her partner weren't actually a sane person.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Renoistic posted:

Shirow's protags tend to be a bit controversial. The Major has this bit in the manga where she sees a protest against extrajudicial killings and is all 'Those plebs don't know what they're talking about, pathetic'.

Kusanagi literally tells a war orphan "BOOTSTRAPS" in the first chapter with the orphanage work center.

Renoistic posted:

Leona from Tank Police would mow down semi-peaceful protesters on several occasions if her partner weren't actually a sane person.

Leona's practically a parody, so I'm dismissive of it.

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Why are you watching Ghost In The Shell for the plot.

Moreover, why are you watching it for the plot when that tactic causes you to tune out the film's entire runtime.

Innocence really is an underrated film, I don't get how people dismiss it over the mangas which often aren't even translated as well as they're written in Japanese.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay I read the Manga or whatever it's called and uh.... yeah that wasn't that great. I liked all his footnotes though that was interesting.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Manga is not good. Shocker.

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Midjack posted:

Here's an interview with her from a couple of years ago: http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2014/11/yoko-kanno-interview

She is continuing to work at a slightly slower pace than ten years ago, but doesn't look like she's quitting anytime soon.

She looks the same as she did when I met her in 1999; IS SHE A CYBORG?

Maybe she knows something about "Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence" (SENS) or has invested in immortality technology with Renaissance Technologies.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Laughing Man posted:

Innocence really is an underrated film, I don't get how people dismiss it over the mangas which often aren't even translated as well as they're written in Japanese.

I still haven't seen Innocence, but the manga is legit terrible. How that turned into something as good as the movie/SAC is kind of a miracle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Laughing Man posted:

The nonstop quotations are a real turnoff for me. I watched it when it came out, didn't like it, and ignored it until watching it a few months ago. I did like it better this time but still feel like they needed to have a bibliography in the credits.

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I still haven't seen Innocence, but the manga is legit terrible. How that turned into something as good as the movie/SAC is kind of a miracle.

Well the movie is basicly Oshii being Oshii, a lot of his other works share similarities, like the Patlabor films and Jin-Roh. And the series was heavily based on the movie.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Is there any info on the crazy-eyes guy? Is that Boma or Pazu?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Midjack posted:

The nonstop quotations are a real turnoff for me. I watched it when it came out, didn't like it, and ignored it until watching it a few months ago. I did like it better this time but still feel like they needed to have a bibliography in the credits.

That's actually kind of a joke in that movie. I believe there's at one point that Togusa turns to Batou and admits that neither one would be dropping those quotes if it wasn't for the fact they're subconsciously using their cyberbrains to Google them up to make them look smarter.

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Improbable Lobster posted:

For me, the Laughing Man suffered from being much more interesting before the mystery was solved. That's why I liked 2nd GIG more. I also forgot Solid State Society in my list. Haven't watched it in quite a while but I thought it wasn't half bad. I'd put it somewhere in the middle.

I consider the philosophical underpinnings to be an integral part of the plot personally. Sorry that I didn't make that clear.
E: Which is to say that I prety much agree and misunderstood the post I had quoted

This video sums up the laughing man phenomena in a very robust way. It's a social phenomenon similar to the Red Queen hypothesis in genetics or Outlier theory by guys like Malcolm Gladwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogvMnx-2nFg

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Manga is not good. Shocker.

It wasn't incomprehensible to read and he's a very good artist. Plus he draws cool future stuff. I just couldn't follow what the gently caress was going on half the time.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The later manga with the crappy CGI looks like Sea Patrol.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hollismason posted:

It wasn't incomprehensible to read and he's a very good artist. Plus he draws cool future stuff. I just couldn't follow what the gently caress was going on half the time.

I was going to ask what issue you had with the book, but that's a legit complaint. They tend to be complex, if not completely convoluted plots. Sometimes you have to reread it to get an idea of what's going on (like the whole "Anaconda" thing I mentioned earlier, but that's because it's a recurring trope in the SAC and ARISE). I feel GITS 1.5 is superior largely because it's shorter and it's stories have to be more quickly resolved. He does action scenes really well: the spider tank fight, in particular, is memorable and you can see why the movie and the TV show love to bring make reference to it. It's no "knife fight from Appleseed", however, which remains Shirow's superior fight scene.

Corek posted:

The later manga with the crappy CGI looks like Sea Patrol.

It's got some interesting ideas, but yeah, the whole execution is blown because of Shirow believing his own hype as well as experimenting with CG. If you look at my history in this thread, I have a complete breakdown comparing the first volume to GITS2.0.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 28, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apparently, Kenji Kamiyama is hinting that there maybe a third season of the best Ghost In The Shell, GITS: Stand Alone Complex, coming up.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/09/26/kenji-kamiyama-teases-ghost-in-the-shell-news/

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey anime nerds

Why did the major:

Bumrush the spider tank when she coulda just waited 5 minutes

Not shoot the optics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"