Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, my expectations for AA5 were really low because I couldn't see them fixing Phoenix's character after what they did to it in 4, but they actually did a pretty drat good job at it. They even made him seem like a dad without it feeling strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't wait for Phoenix to die in the next game

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

I can't wait for Phoenix to die in the next game

"Rise from the Ashes" was already a case title, though, can't really do it again

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

psychoJ posted:

Oh just you wait. :getin:

Also, get ready for the longest case in the entire series. I beat it at around 14 hours.

Not counting any case in Investigations 2, though. I'm pretty sure the 3rd and 5th cases in that are longer.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I really gotta play AI2

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

The White Dragon posted:

I guessed it blind because I caught it early that the body in the crime scene photo didn't have the same scar as Mr. Reus in the promotional poster, and then I assumed that it had to be Retinz because the real one would just have to make an appearance, right?

I guessed this pretty early too, but for a different reason since Retinz was clearly trying to destroy Trucy's life, and Mr. Reus would have had a motive to take revenge on the last of the Gramaryes.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Poque posted:

I really gotta play AI2

It's so good

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Alright, I think I'm near the end for Case 5
"already too late for you, pal" wow i can't believe Inga was Gumshoe all along
"i'll find out what you're up to! *gets shot*" lmao
oh poo poo dhurke is so cool
so many ghost layers here but it looks like everything's solved? guess there must be a big piece missing tho
ok finally the pendants
of course, Nahyuta knows that Rayfa is actually his sister, that's who he's protecting!
oh gently caress don't tell me there's still a whole trial for the assassination attempt

welp, i'm almost sure there's still another chunk left

okay i lost count but i think amara, ga'ran and rayfa have all used the L'Belle hair color spray
i cannot find this tic
love how Amara's character model doesn't match the lower screen
GOTTA INSTAGRAM FILTER THE EVIDENCE
WHAT

gently caress yeha the photograph!
Okay Nahyuta that was loving cool
aw poo poo they gonna be shot dead
Apollo gathering the force of his pantheon of daddies.
So Apollo has gone from lonely orphan to having 3 dads, 2 moms, a half sister and two adoptive siblings
okay i'm in the final thought beam and i think i just cracked something... ga'ran never had spiritual powers??! YOOOOOOO THAT'S IT THAT IS SO COOL
OBTAIN INFINITE POWER, COME ON, I DOUBLE DARE YOU

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 24, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The culprit is super obvious in most AA cases

I dunno if I really agree.

It might be cheating to mention a final case, but I was completely clueless about 3-5's killer until 5 minutes before I had to accuse them and I was like "holy gently caress"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
3-5 is kind of a special case. I had the killer spoiled for me by accident, but due to the way it was set up I was still caught off guard.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Finished 6-5 trial day one. That tv screen breakdown is certainly unique. The chapter is really weird, it feels like I completed an entire case and yet there is still more. Which is a good thing because, no matter how climactic a court battle against Phoenix should feel, the case is not really finale material. So far, case 2 is my favorite case in the game, so I am curious if this case will top it by the end. Well, back to looking for Maya.

Edit: Found Maya and it looks like Dhurke killed Inga. I hope the shocking plot developments keep coming.

Jazama fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 25, 2016

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
A good ways into the Day 2 trial of Case 5:

Prosopagnosia? Seriously? We've definitely got a Zero Escape fan on the writing staff. And all this time, I expected the answer to be that broken statue which the culprit dressed up as Dhurke to fool the victim.

Well, it still could be the answer. It's not like the victim could tell the difference.

Also, there's no way the queen isn't the culprit of something. Taking the prosecutor's stand and getting into the evil witch getup just screams "main antagonist".

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Wyvernil posted:

A good ways into the Day 2 trial of Case 5:

Prosopagnosia? Seriously? We've definitely got a Zero Escape fan on the writing staff.

Or just a fan of Marky Bark and his ostriches.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Still investigating. Wow the game gets jerky in the queen's chamber.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
At the post-trial talks of 6-5
APOLLO gently caress YOU STAY DAMMIT.

gently caress what a massive case, i loved it, took a long while to get to proper trial-ing but it was so rewarding to get so many thigns figured out and still have much of the case to figure out. Only complaint is that Amara is kinda a massive wet blanket + dick?, like, poo poo she let the country go to poo poo and then stayed with her husband long enough to conceive and birth a child but she still sided with her sister for an extra fourteen years.

Goddammit someone tell these children who their mom is already

Awesome game, not sure where I rank it with the others but that final case is definitely one of the better ones and the production values all around were pretty incredible. Loved it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

At the post-trial talks of 6-5
APOLLO gently caress YOU STAY DAMMIT.

I would have been so mad if Apollo decided to head back home to Japanifornia with the gang. Not because I want to be rid of him or anything, but it would've felt like a negation of his really strong character arc in this game.

quote:

gently caress what a massive case, i loved it, took a long while to get to proper trial-ing but it was so rewarding to get so many thigns figured out and still have much of the case to figure out. Only complaint is that Amara is kinda a massive wet blanket + dick?, like, poo poo she let the country go to poo poo and then stayed with her husband long enough to conceive and birth a child but she still sided with her sister for an extra fourteen years.

Goddammit someone tell these children who their mom is already

There are so many characters in the series who let horrible things happen for really dumb reasons. Ema's sister let a demon control the police and prosecutor's office for like a decade, Blackquill threw the legal system and his life in the toilet, Amara just lets her entire country be run by Cruela Deville... all these things could've been incredibly easily solved by just coming clean about what's going on and not freaking out that it might hurt someone's feelings

quote:

Awesome game, not sure where I rank it with the others but that final case is definitely one of the better ones and the production values all around were pretty incredible. Loved it.

You don't really notice it if it's been a while, but this game is way prettier than Dual Destinies. The models have been refined and the animations are even smoother.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Post-case 5 stuff Amara is a strange character, because while she cared about Dhurke, she also helped frame him for murder and seemingly had no qualms about hiding it. Her demeanor was way too bad guy for me to accept her as just a victim in all this, so it's strange that she gets off scott-free at the end. I actually liked that the endgame boss was two scheming sisters, but by the end I thought they handled that a little oddly.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

wasn't the idea that she initially believed dhurke had tried to kill her, and later was acting to protect rayfa?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

If she knew Dhurke didn't do it by the time he was dead though, why did she try and frame him? I mean, I guess you can say it doesn't matter much since he's already dead, but that also puts Nahyuta in more trouble.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Momomo posted:

If she knew Dhurke didn't do it by the time he was dead though, why did she try and frame him? I mean, I guess you can say it doesn't matter much since he's already dead, but that also puts Nahyuta in more trouble.

Because then Ga'ran would reveal that Rayfa is Dhurke's daughter, which would put his sins on her... the sins that wouldn't exist if Amara wasn't framing him. Oh but it also would prove she's not the daughter of the current queen.... she's just the daughter of the legitimate heir to the throne.... hmmmmm.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Because then Ga'ran would reveal that Rayfa is Dhurke's daughter, which would put his sins on her... the sins that wouldn't exist if Amara wasn't framing him. Oh but it also would prove she's not the daughter of the current queen.... she's just the daughter of the legitimate heir to the throne.... hmmmmm.
Dhurke was already widely thought to be guilty of a royal assassination and was a rebel leader.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lurdiak posted:

Amara seemed to honestly believe that Dhurke had tried to kill her, and therefore that her children were the children of sinners. It's not until you present evidence that Dhurke still loved her that she decides to stop supporting Ga'ran's conspiracy. As for why she believed Durke tried to kill her... I guess she's just really gullible.

Edit: Amara only tried to frame him for Inga's death. She had no part in the assassination plot from 23 years ago and believed that Dhurke was actually guilty of that.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 25, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finished 6-5 today...

It was a good conclusion to a good game. Really curious to see where the series goes from here, if the main story continues. Presumably Athena will get more focus, with maybe Apollo occasionally coming in a la Edgeworth in 2-4, 3-5 etc.

Back in 2008 I would have never believed anyone that told me that Apollo loving Justice would be one of the better characters in a game full of good characters, but they pulled it off! I like how Apollo's arc ultimately ended mirroring Nick's trilogy without completely repeating it, as many of us feared might happen back when AA4 was the newest game in the series.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

She didn't know he didn't do it. She believed Ga'ran over him because I guess she still loved her sister or something.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So she ran away with him and had a kid while still thinking he tried to kill her, and then tried to frame him for something she knew he didn't do? Like, I'm not really saying it doesn't make sense, but her motivations don't seem quite right by the end if we're to think she should have no blame placed on her. Also, if Dhurke's sins go to Rayfa, they'd go to Nahyuta as well, and that's exactly what he's been paying for all these years. Does she not care that it would make his life worse if she framed his father?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

So she ran away with him and had a kid while still thinking he tried to kill her, and then tried to frame him for something she knew he didn't do? Like, I'm not really saying it doesn't make sense, but her motivations don't seem quite right by the end if we're to think she should have no blame placed on her. Also, if Dhurke's sins go to Rayfa, they'd go to Nahyuta as well, and that's exactly what he's been paying for all these years. Does she not care that it would make his life worse if she framed his father?

Amara's weird because in the backstory she just flip-flopped about who she trusted. She stayed with Ga'ran and believed her that Dhurke tried to kill her, then later for some reason she decided to run off with Dhurke and forgive him (even though I don't think she ever thought he was innocent) but after having Rayfa she was convinced to go back with Ga'ran for reasons that are never fully explained.

Basically by the end of it I think she fully trusted Ga'ran and her plan to kill Inga, and thought that helping her out would keep Rayfa's identity secret and protect her. And Nahyuta was already known to be Dhurke's son, and thus the son of a criminal. So Dhurke being convicted of another crime wouldn't have caused him anymore suffering anyway.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I don't think all of her testimony should be taken quite so literally. There's a some ambiguity and stuff not really explained.

For what happened 23 years ago it was mentioned she was drugged, right? So it's pretty easy to see how Ga'ran manipulated her into believing her version of what happened.
No seance means no other evidence to prove her wrong and Ga'ran even got the case scuffled by accusing Dhurke of forging evidence.

And it was mentioned that she was kidnapped (or re-kidnapped depending on how you view it) after Dhurke rescued her ten years later. So I'm sure Ga'ran used Rayfa as leverege on Amara to remain hidden. It's pretty much how she works.

Also, I'm confused, when did she frame Dhurke because I don't remember that at all.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Finished 6-5 investigation day two. Wow, it looks like the trial is going to be a wild ride. Nobody in-game made the connection yet, but Nayna is Amara and the baby is Rayfa. How exactly the royal family is the way it is now will probably be explained in court.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jazama posted:

Finished 6-5 investigation day two. Wow, it looks like the trial is going to be a wild ride. Nobody in-game made the connection yet, but Nayna is Amara and the baby is Rayfa. How exactly the royal family is the way it is now will probably be explained in court.

It will be, yes.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Zaa Boogie posted:

Also, I'm confused, when did she frame Dhurke because I don't remember that at all.

When she channeled him to make it look like he killed Inga. She was helping her sister, but it didn't really seem like she had a gun to her head.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Momomo posted:

When she channeled him to make it look like he killed Inga. She was helping her sister, but it didn't really seem like she had a gun to her head.

Oh, that bit. Now I remember, I was getting some events confused. That case was pretty packed. :v:

I'd say she pretty much still had a gun to her head: Rayfa. If she didn't then she had no reason to confess to killing Inga once Apollo placed her on the scene. The only way it makes sense is if Ga'ran ordered her to do so just in case. I haven't seen anybody claim that Amara is in the clear for not having done anything wrong but I'd say it's pretty clear that Ga'ran was manipulating everything the way she wants to go. So I'd say trying to call it 'two evil sisters' is going kinda far.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Zaa Boogie posted:

Oh, that bit. Now I remember, I was getting some events confused. That case was pretty packed. :v:

I'd say she pretty much still had a gun to her head: Rayfa. If she didn't then she had no reason to confess to killing Inga once Apollo placed her on the scene. The only way it makes sense is if Ga'ran ordered her to do so just in case. I haven't seen anybody claim that Amara is in the clear for not having done anything wrong but I'd say it's pretty clear that Ga'ran was manipulating everything the way she wants to go. So I'd say trying to call it 'two evil sisters' is going kinda far.

There's a line of Atishon's during 6-5, Day 1, when he's pressed where he asks Apollo if he knows about "kingcraft." It comes off as throwaway text just to underpin what a prick he is, but looking back it feels like foreshadowing Ga'ran's entire motivation. Her desire for power and control oversteps that of the elder Von Karma, Gant, Means, or the elder Gramarye, reaching a national and potentially global level given she rules a small but highly religious country. I'm sure Ga'ran knew she was at a disadvantage from a relatively early age once she knew she was unable to channel spirits and the resentment grew from there. Amara never had reason to suspect her sister's manipulation, or at least after a lifetime of gaslighting plus concern for her children was able to convince herself it was all for the best. Ga'ran is probably the most insidious villain to date (I'll probably always consider Kristoph The Worst, he's a level of deranged that still disturbs me).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Most insidious villain in the series is actually probably one of the ones from AAI-2 tbh

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The case 4 bad guy of AAI-2 shoulda been the final boss.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Lurdiak posted:

The case 4 bad guy of AAI-2 shoulda been the final boss.

Actually the fact that he isn't is what makes the final case of that game even better.

Like you can totally see him being the final villain but he isn't, heck even the case 5 victim is totally a character that normally would be the final boss of the game because he's really similar to Alba in a way.

The whole thing just makes the whole game even better in my opinion.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I played Case 4 yesterday and really enjoyed it. The characters were a lot of fun, and Blackquill was so good. It gave me a craving for noodles though. :v: It maybe would have fit better at the beginning of the game, although maybe it'll serve as a good palette cleanser before Case 5. I'm travelling today so I'm hoping to get it played. Did someone say it was 14 hours long though? :staredog:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

I played Case 4 yesterday and really enjoyed it. The characters were a lot of fun, and Blackquill was so good. It gave me a craving for noodles though. :v: It maybe would have fit better at the beginning of the game, although maybe it'll serve as a good palette cleanser before Case 5. I'm travelling today so I'm hoping to get it played. Did someone say it was 14 hours long though? :staredog:

Case 4's perfect where it is, because there definitely needed to be a palette-clenser between Cases 3 and 5. Case 5 is a real bigg'un.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Case 5 is basically 2 different cases in 1.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

irlZaphod posted:

Did someone say it was 14 hours long though? :staredog:
Yuuuuup. Though I guess the average time is 12, I'm just kinda slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Finally finished the game. Whoa, that final case was epic.

And it turns out Dhurke was a ghost the whole time. That twist completely floored me. You can just feel Apollo's dawning horror as he realizes the truth, and that, in retrospect, it was staring in his face the whole time. Dhurke wasn't just dying; he was already dead.

Also, it's interesting how it feels like they weaved in elements from previous final cases in the series for this case. You've got the final prosecutor being the true culprit, and manipulating the main prosecutor into taking the fall for it (AA1). And you've got the culprits attempting to manipulate Phoenix by taking Maya hostage (AA2). And finally, you've got one of the key players in the case being a loving ghost (AA3).

The way they took down the culprit at the end was pretty interesting, as well. How do you convict an absolute monarch who can simply rewrite the laws to escape justice? By proving that she doesn't fit the most basic requirement to be the queen, apparently. So that's why they were willing to do anything to get that Founder's Orb back.