Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I loved The Dollop cinematic universe where Dollop hero's crossed paths in the most recent episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Copper Vein posted:

56 Newport Sex Scandal

I loving love this episode.

Let's find out if these guys are gay by sending dudes to blow them! Remember, if they don't blow a load in your mouth you can't be sure.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Grand Fromage posted:

I loving love this episode.

Let's find out if these guys are gay by sending dudes to blow them! Remember, if they don't blow a load in your mouth you can't be sure.
I lost my poo poo when FDR comes into ( :haw: ) the story.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

I lost my poo poo when FDR comes into ( :haw: ) the story.

Talking about FDR made me think of The Willie Dee. That's a great loving episode.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, Willie D is the one I point new listeners to when I'm trying to sell them on the podcast. It's got it all.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Dave is the guest star on the DigCast this week.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
10¢ Beer night is the best episode.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

10¢ Beer night is the best episode.

It's a top episode but I counter with The Rube.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Grand Fromage posted:

It's a top episode but I counter with The Rube.

That's the episode that got me fully on-board after not really clicking with the podcast previously. What a wonderful idiot.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really and truly feel like the Dollop isn't deserving of picking one episode as the best. There are so many that are amazing to listen to, and deserve love. A top ten list barely scratches the surface. The Egg Nog riot, the Tank Chase, the Rainbow Man, the David Hahn ep, Rajneeshpuran, Oofty Goofty, the Kentucky Meat Shower, and those are all in like the first hundred.

God drat are there some good Dollops.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oofty Goofty.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

PantsOptional posted:

What's really weird to me is how Dave just sort of gives up and says "yeah, it turns out it was hot enough to cremate them after all." I get that he doesn't actually have a lead to follow up on, but that doesn't mean that the experts were wrong. I actually asked a friend who's a mortician and listens to the show, and 45 minutes in house fire temperatures is nowhere near enough - you'd absolutely have something left over that was recognizably human remains. No one's ever going to get to the bottom of this at this point, though, so all we have left are questions.

It feels like people are overlooking the fact that the house collapsed. The kids were in the attic and the whole house collapsed into the basement. Take fragile burnt bones, drop them three stories, smash timbers on them, let them sit in smouldering ashes for several hours. There was a very cursory, half-hearted search that lasted two hours by people not trained in forensic examination for human remains, and then the site was bulldozed and infilled, possibly destroying anything that had survived.

What the podcast didn't cover was that one of the oldest children who escaped originally said he went to physically wake his younger siblings, then later changed his story and claimed he didn't see them. It's impossible to be certain which version is true, but people tend to tell the truth first and then a sanitised version of events later - if, for instance, you feel guilty for not dragging your 6 and 8 year old sisters out the house when you fled, and what the information that you just them to fend for themselves might do to your parents. At which point it becomes much easier to convince yourself that you never saw them in their beds, and perhaps they weren't even in the house.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh god the penguins why

I knew about some of this, but I did not know about all of this

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I hold to the Fedex flight being one of my favorites, that story starts a little crazy, gets crazier then they read the transcript and it is just ON.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
an amazing thing about the dollop is how they keep finding fresh, bizarre material constantly. the world is so weird and hosed up. i love it.
my fave is 10 cent beer night but the fine cotton scandal is up there too.
my jaw drops whenever i remember the 10 cent beer night "6 per purchase" """limit"""

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TGG posted:

I hold to the Fedex flight being one of my favorites, that story starts a little crazy, gets crazier then they read the transcript and it is just ON.

I forgot about this episode, it was real good.

fun hater posted:

the fine cotton scandal is up there too.

And I don't even remember this episode, I'ma relisten.

Count Dante was a really good ep. Thomas Kinkade was too. The Trojan Taco deserves special pointing out, it was an amazing fuckin' episode. Is the Hippo Bill the episode that had the line "NO SLEEP 'TILL HIPPO!" that should be one of everyone's favorite fuckin' Gary lines?

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

rotinaj posted:

I really and truly feel like the Dollop isn't deserving of picking one episode as the best. There are so many that are amazing to listen to, and deserve love. A top ten list barely scratches the surface. The Egg Nog riot, the Tank Chase, the Rainbow Man, the David Hahn ep, Rajneeshpuran, Oofty Goofty, the Kentucky Meat Shower, and those are all in like the first hundred.

God drat are there some good Dollops.
You forgot Cleveland's Balloon Day and the Flying Pinto.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

oh god the penguins why

I knew about some of this, but I did not know about all of this

As a penguin lover and a sufferer of depression, this newest episode is my least favorite episode ever and I am never going to listen to it ever again.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Goddamn, is their book not coming out until next May? I thought I'd get it as a Christmas gift for my brother to get him interested in the podcasts.

Also, podcasts are like, gently caress, the hardest things to try and convince someone to give a try. If they don't already listen to other podcasts it is such a foreign thing to them that I feel like I'm in my own Dollop. You pretty much have to trick these luddites into an hour long car ride to get them to listen.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

those penguins. my god

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Copper Vein posted:

Goddamn, is their book not coming out until next May? I thought I'd get it as a Christmas gift for my brother to get him interested in the podcasts.

Also, podcasts are like, gently caress, the hardest things to try and convince someone to give a try. If they don't already listen to other podcasts it is such a foreign thing to them that I feel like I'm in my own Dollop. You pretty much have to trick these luddites into an hour long car ride to get them to listen.

For real. I finally got one friend hooked because he had a 14 hour drive and I wouldn't shut up about The Rube, but the rest of my friends think it's weird to listen to people talk I guess.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

How many of your friends listen to anything on the radio that isn't music? It does everyone just listen to iTunes or Spotify?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
My brother likes history and comedy and drives for at least 90 minutes by himself everyday in a car that he has already linked his phone to. I suggest that he listen to The Dollop but he hears the word "Podcast" and his brain hits the wall.

It's like when I finally won the 2-year long campaign to set Netflix and a Roku up for my parents and then they kept asking me how do they flip channels to "check what's on?"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Copper Vein posted:

My brother likes history and comedy and drives for at least 90 minutes by himself everyday in a car that he has already linked his phone to. I suggest that he listen to The Dollop but he hears the word "Podcast" and his brain hits the wall.

It's like when I finally won the 2-year long campaign to set Netflix and a Roku up for my parents and then they kept asking me how do they flip channels to "check what's on?"

Just say it is a radio program. That helped when I got my GF listening to them.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Nobody ever takes my podcast recommendations until I started recommending the Dollop to road warriors and commuters at work. Always start them on The Rube, and I must have won over 15-20 people already.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Copper Vein posted:

At least the Dollop is easily available.

I'm a big fan of The Worst Idea of All Time, and it's a podcast where it is definitely best to start from the beginning. I've converted a few people onto it but they've just removed the first season and put it up exclusively on a paid service. Sure there is a free trial, but try explaining what a podcast is and then after the person is interested explain that they just have to sign up for a trial with this service and then download the app just for this one podcast and you might as well not bother.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I started listening to podcasts a few years ago because John Oliver is awesome and I became curious about anything he might have done besides the Daily Show. So The Bugle was my gateway drug. Find someone a person already likes who has a podcast, and they'll be hooked in no time.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey, the new episode is up and WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING

I swear, this guy has a worse idea of how sex works than the gravity guy did about how gravity worked.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 2, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've gotten back on board after dropping it ages ago from the huge fit that Dave threw about the plagiarism business. That's handled now, it's fine, I'm liking the series, but I can't remember: which episode is about that guy who ran soup kitchens and whatnot, and then at the end the final twist is that he was secretly running a sex toy empire and in a three way relationship? Did a bunch of the episodes just get purged after the fiasco? It seems like it, I can't identify from the list which one was about the 3 guys who all thought they were Jesus and I believe that's the one that triggered said fiasco.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

The three Jesuses was Ep93, which, yeah, looks like it's no longer on the live feed. I can't remember off the top of my head which one was on the soup kitchen guy, but I vaguely remember it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I think it was LAPD 2 that had the soup kitchen guy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Lord Hydronium posted:

I think it was LAPD 2 that had the soup kitchen guy.

yeah, that's the one. it was the James Davis LAPD ep. you're sort of remembering it wrong tho. he was an ultra Christian dude who was cheating on his wife with a massage therapist/sex worker, and he was so conflicted about it he tried to commit suicide. he survived and then his wife agreed to an open marriage, and then he bankrolled a sex lube business run by his side girl. and this is just the closing chapter to an epic tale of police corruption being brought to heel by a litigious christian cafeteria baron.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

AriadneThread posted:

The three Jesuses was Ep93, which, yeah, looks like it's no longer on the live feed. I can't remember off the top of my head which one was on the soup kitchen guy, but I vaguely remember it.

That's odd because it's still in the feed my podcast app pulls from. Downloaded it and skipped about it just now.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think three Jesuses and Killdozer were taken down because of plagiarism.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Corek posted:

I think three Jesuses and Killdozer were taken down because of plagiarism.

also the one on ulysses grant, though i don't know if that was a plagiarism issue or not

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Plagiarism in what sense? Dave went to some website and copy-pasted?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I think he was just reciting text from sites on the cast without mentioning his sources. one of them found out about it and called him out.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dr.Radical posted:

Plagiarism in what sense? Dave went to some website and copy-pasted?

https://www.damninteresting.com/a-special-note-to-the-writers-at-the-dollop/

Do yourself a favor and don't look up any of Dave and Gary's responses unless you want to think way less of them as professional comedians and people, though.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.damninteresting.com/a-special-note-to-the-writers-at-the-dollop/

Do yourself a favor and don't look up any of Dave and Gary's responses unless you want to think way less of them as professional comedians and people, though.

It's Gareth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I mean luckily I never had any respect for them as professional comedians (pretty eh) or people anyway (well except GARY, he seems like a sometimes naive but very chill dude) so I managed to skirt that poo poo.
I never listened to the other previous lame podcast Dave did, but I think anyone can tell he's kind of...well...

poo poo I'm behind on like nine Dollop episodes for some reason too, gotta catch up. Looks like they're mostly live Australia eps though, which can go either way imo. It feels like their 5-6 riffs that usually awkwardly miss target every episode are just even more awkward with an audience and they sometimes get too tryhard with a live audience because, well, they're standups. I'll give them this, they're the only podcast led by standups that I can actually tolerate, 99% of that poo poo is usually straight garbo.

prefect posted:

I started listening to podcasts a few years ago because John Oliver is awesome and I became curious about anything he might have done besides the Daily Show. So The Bugle was my gateway drug. Find someone a person already likes who has a podcast, and they'll be hooked in no time.
Oh wow, I had no idea John Oliver had a podcast. Though I should've figured since everyone has a podcast these days. I generally find podcasts run by already famous media people or standups suck balls but I can't deny the magic of John Oliver.
Awww, looks like John Oliver left it though? Is the other dude good enough to carry it with guests? I wonder if it's worth getting in on anymore or if the backlogs are any good (since if it's satirical "news of the moment" they might be a bit stale now)