Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I just got a call back to come in for an interview this Friday for a tools programmer position. I'm super excited/nervous because working in games has been a goal of mine for a while now. I do a ton of web development (.NET) at my current job and have mainly used Unity for my side projects, so I need to brush up on my C++ ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
If you're going in tools, that .NET experience is probably going to be more important than C++. :ssh:

e: vvvvvv
I guess it vastly depends on which kind of tool. For instance, in UE4, I've been doing a shitload of gameplay tools entirely in C++.

But our build tools are 100%... Batch files. :suicide:

Jan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 12, 2016

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Jan posted:

If you're going in tools, that .NET experience is probably going to be more important than C++. :ssh:

No but you probably need to have enough C++ to be able to talk to C++ devs since they'll likely be some in the interview. Also you might need some C++ to talk to some build processes but yeah I'd guess most of your would be in C#.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-disney-interactive-layoffs-20160914-snap-story.html

Disney hit with layoffs again right before the fiscal year. :(

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Aye, the culling continues. Pitaro doesn't like games, doesn't know how to make them and has no interest in learning. Licensing is their current strategy (they're at that point in the Disney games cycle). I'd be prepping my resume if I was working on any of their mobile teams. They see making games internally as being on the same level as owning their own toy making factory (no point, just outsource), and it's been a long time since games at Disney were treated as anything other than extended marketing for the stuff they really care about.

Battlefront's sales numbers were the final ammo Pitaro needed to kill Infinity (which was profitable but not blockbuster like BF) , but due to how they view and treat games in general, licensing will gradually become a race to the lowest bidder and Disney games will go back to being garbage.

Here's a great article about the history of Disney video games and what's happening over there right now: http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/18/12514296/disney-game-industry-history

mutata fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 15, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Don't worry, once they become garbage, they'll bring them in-house to shore up quality.

I think this is like the third cycle like that over Disney's lifetime?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Sigma-X posted:

Don't worry, once they become garbage, they'll bring them in-house to shore up quality.

I think this is like the third cycle like that over Disney's lifetime?

That's the thing. Disney doesn't seem to give a poo poo about the quality of their mobile games, even internally made ones. So licensing mobile game development should be a happy marriage for them. Disney not caring about the quality of their mobile games isn't a sentiment shared by Marvel however. And in fact Marvel is becoming increasingly frustrated with how Disney is handling Marvel IP games on mobile. MAA2 doing poorly was the ammunition Marvel needed to get both MAA and MAA2 killed. And the largest layoffs were at the Bellevue studio -- which is the studio responsible for Marvel mobile games at Disney. In fact, I don't think that studio will survive at all. I'm certain you won't see Disney made Marvel mobile games after this. Marvel will handle them directly most likely by co-development or pure licensing. Marvel seems to enjoy co-development and I believe that is the model they are using for the new Spiderman game on PS4.

Disney will eventually care about their licensed console/AAA IP games becoming poo poo though.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 15, 2016

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

OK... Rehauled my portfolio entirely. I included some WIP shots and stuff alongside my beauty shots now, instead of just the finished article.
http://www.labmonkey.co
I have a lot of new work coming, it's still being finished though. Having some trouble painting the weights on that orca whale right but I'm learning and the model itself is done. :)
My search continues for Junior positions, feedback is helpful. Thank you guys, you're very helpful. :)

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 15, 2016

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

uglynoodles posted:

OK... Rehauled my portfolio entirely. I included some WIP shots and stuff alongside my beauty shots now, instead of just the finished article.
https://www.labmonkey.co
I have a lot of new work coming, it's still being finished though. Having some trouble painting the weights on that orca whale right but I'm learning and the model itself is done. :)
My search continues for Junior positions, feedback is helpful. Thank you guys, you're very helpful. :)

I'm getting a certificate error when trying to load your site.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

leper khan posted:

I'm getting a certificate error when trying to load your site.

Me too. That's probably a huge no no.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LetsEncrypt, free ssl if you want it!

(You do)

Edit - oh hey it even looks like a legit cert. Maybe it got revoked?

xzzy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 15, 2016

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I have no idea what that even is, I'm afraid. :( It loads fine for me, I'll ask my techy friends. Thanks for letting me know.

Can you tell me what the error is, exactly?

Edit: it wasn't supposed to be HTTPS. Thanks phone autocorrect. Crisis averted. (I am not a web person. Im sorry.)

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 15, 2016

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Or just don't use HTTPS? :confuoot:

http://www.labmonkey.co/

e: vvvvv

lol @ the idea of hr people typing http in their browser bar.

Jan fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 15, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jan posted:

Or just don't use HTTPS? :confuoot:

http://www.labmonkey.co/

If the site accepts ssl connections it should offer a legit certificate. You don't want a prospective employer to type https out of habit, see the error, then wad up your resume out of spite.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

xgalaxy posted:

That's the thing. Disney doesn't seem to give a poo poo about the quality of their mobile games, even internally made ones. So licensing mobile game development should be a happy marriage for them. Disney not caring about the quality of their mobile games isn't a sentiment shared by Marvel however. And in fact Marvel is becoming increasingly frustrated with how Disney is handling Marvel IP games on mobile. MAA2 doing poorly was the ammunition Marvel needed to get both MAA and MAA2 killed. And the largest layoffs were at the Bellevue studio -- which is the studio responsible for Marvel mobile games at Disney. In fact, I don't think that studio will survive at all. I'm certain you won't see Disney made Marvel mobile games after this. Marvel will handle them directly most likely by co-development or pure licensing. Marvel seems to enjoy co-development and I believe that is the model they are using for the new Spiderman game on PS4.

Disney will eventually care about their licensed console/AAA IP games becoming poo poo though.

If Marvel treats mobile games anything like how they treated AAA then they have no one to blame for their quality but themselves.

Edit: Well not only themselves, but they have plenty of oversight and are involved every step of the way.

mutata fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 15, 2016

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

uglynoodles posted:

I have no idea what that even is, I'm afraid. :( It loads fine for me, I'll ask my techy friends. Thanks for letting me know.

Can you tell me what the error is, exactly?

Edit: it wasn't supposed to be HTTPS. Thanks phone autocorrect. Crisis averted. (I am not a web person. Im sorry.)
If you do wanna make it work in HTTPS, this might help: https://community.weebly.com/t5/Domains/SSL-Certificate-Error/td-p/13954

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
It's feels a bit odd. I joined Disney Interactive 3 years ago as a lowly QA tester, but I'm still here in QA despite all the layoffs they've had (both in QA and around all of DCPI).

Guess I've been super lucky. I signed on with the expectation that I would be out the door at the end of my contract but instead they hired me on two thirds through.

Civetta
Jun 23, 2016

Jumping out of lurking to say as someone who'd been at Disney Interactive for 5 years and just recently left, I'm not surprised at the layoffs. After the whole Infinity thing and some stuff that'd been going on with the casual/mobile teams, I've had a theory that management has been setting the products up to fail with impossible goals to meet so they'd have an excuse to eventually cut internal development entirely. I'm really glad that my former team members weren't affected by the layoffs, but I feel like at this point it's only a matter of time.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If I was in Disney games, I'd be looking for other work or preparing to. I imagine they'll keep on SOME Glendale QA to check 3rd party work, but any production positions' days are numbered.

Dogbroth
Nov 7, 2004
Does anyone have any secret knowledge about programming jobs in Leamington Spa or thereabouts?

The area seems to have an abundance of racing and mobile studios, but I'm burnt-out on and inexperienced for those, respectively.

Next up for me is throwing myself into the UK games-recruitment market, which can be a bit wearing.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Dogbroth posted:

Does anyone have any secret knowledge about programming jobs in Leamington Spa or thereabouts?

The area seems to have an abundance of racing and mobile studios, but I'm burnt-out on and inexperienced for those, respectively.

Next up for me is throwing myself into the UK games-recruitment market, which can be a bit wearing.

Radiant Worlds(ex Blitz Games Studios) doing some F2P MMO at the moment or the bundle of indies working from the railway arches, the name of which escapes me right now.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Dogbroth posted:

I just want to say that I appreciate Leamington Spa for having the Most British name.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Studio posted:

I just want to say that I appreciate Leamington Spa for having the Most British name.

Uh, actually it's Royal Leamington Spa.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

There's tonnnnnns of places in Leamington, I get programming recruitment fishes all the time as a senior. It's true that most of them are mobile but your experience would probably carry over in some way?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I have an Associates in Mass Communication. I eventually want to work in community management or in one of the marketing/public relations. Should I be looking for internships or is there an entry level position I can find in those areas? I still want to get my BA, but I want to start building experience. I know one of the best things to do is start going to trade shows and start networking. Is that just stuff like GDC or can events like PAX or other places developers show their work off as well? Is that process just talking to other people in my field and making connections or is it something I should have copies of my resume or something with a link to my portfolio on?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Oh... Oh my god :swoon:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ahem, we prefer Silicon Spa, thank you.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007

Akuma posted:

Ahem, we prefer Silicon Spa, thank you.

This ranks right up there with Silicon Fen and Silicon Roundabout.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Going back to the pay discussion a few pages ago, I know that game programmers get paid substantially less than non-game programmers because the former seems to be a more popular and more competitive area. But isn't non-game programming also pretty competitive? Especially with the generous salaries even people straight out of college can get? Why don't they suffer from similar problems of depressed wages?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mr Interweb posted:

Going back to the pay discussion a few pages ago, I know that game programmers get paid substantially less than non-game programmers because the former seems to be a more popular and more competitive area. But isn't non-game programming also pretty competitive? Especially with the generous salaries even people straight out of college can get? Why don't they suffer from similar problems of depressed wages?

That's not why wages are depressed in games though. Wages are depressed because there are sufficient numbers of people willing to work for very little in order to work on games. It's wish fulfillment, not competition.

Writing tech for hedge funds is also incredibly competitive, but (most of) the people doing that haven't dreamt about it for 20-odd years, so they're paid commensurately.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm not convinced this is generally true, if you adjust for location and count out the Amazon and Googles of the world who pay significantly more than industry average. The reality is a studio will lose its senior people if it doesn't pay competitively, so the only way you can get away with this is if you're relying on churning grads for your engineering force. There are definitely companies that do that but they aren't really representative of the industry.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So a few game companies are gonna be at a upcoming job fair this Wednesday, and I'm hoping to land a summer internship. There's a good relationship between both the school and game development club and the local companies, with lots of alumni from both at various positions, and employees sometimes working as lecturers. I've never written a resume before, and was hoping I could get some feedback. Because I know it'll come up, I specified C++98 as I haven't touched C++11, and there's apparently no good way to write C# in LaTeX. I have taken, or am taking, Computer Graphics, Animation Programming,and Artificial Intelligence, as well as the standard classes (Physics, Calc classes, data structures, assembly, etc,) although I haven't heard a worthwhile argument in including those on a resume.

https://www.overleaf.com/read/ztxhmhhmqgrr
Let me know if there are any problems with the link.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 25, 2016

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I don't believe that that school actually exists!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I don't believe that LaTex, the text layout program that people never shut the gently caress up about like it's the goddamn Second Coming of document writing cannot do a simple # symbol.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Chasiubao posted:

I don't believe that LaTex, the text layout program that people never shut the gently caress up about like it's the goddamn Second Coming of document writing cannot do a simple # symbol.

I mean it can but it looks really wrong. And the sharp sign is used on official packaging, so it feels like the lesser of two evils.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 25, 2016

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I can't read it right now, but go learn c++11. Seeing c++98 could easily mean the difference of getting an interview or not; as it can be assumed that you're either not passionate enough about the language to have caught up; too new to the language to have learnt the new features; or just haven't used it since 98. There's really not that many new features in c++11, and they're useful anyway, so.

say tan
Sep 25, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjAtG6GW76E

here are some ppl cheering for me playing a video game. i do not speak just listenin to my anime music ty

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Jewel posted:

I can't read it right now, but go learn c++11. Seeing c++98 could easily mean the difference of getting an interview or not; as it can be assumed that you're either not passionate enough about the language to have caught up; too new to the language to have learnt the new features; or just haven't used it since 98. There's really not that many new features in c++11, and they're useful anyway, so.
Eh most game shops are still gonna be using C++98 with at most some convenience features from C++11, and if you strictly list C++11 I'd worry you can't live without STL pointers.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

SupSuper posted:

Eh most game shops are still gonna be using C++98 with at most some convenience features from C++11, and if you strictly list C++11 I'd worry you can't live without STL pointers.
I'm having deja vu...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

SupSuper posted:

Im not going to detach from this mortal coil without them, but the same could be said of those pointers. :v: