Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. wasnt like everything gutted. like the melee system, the side missions, half of the story, a ton of weapons and stores. its sad because there was a great game there but it didnt happen. :(

Yep. It was all scheduled to ship with all that included. Mafia 2 was supposed to have all the Jimmy missions in as the open world portion for other things to do if the player wanted to take a break from the main story arc. Joe's Adventures wasn't a DLC. It was the time period when Vito went to jail up until when he got out. It was built with a specific purpose to give an appreciation for the jail sentence (A sense of time passing), and at the same time explore Joe in much more detail. It's why everyone face palmed when they saw the abrupt story pacing issues when Vito went to jail and when he got out which then made absolute sense when they realized Take Two cut a third of the game (Finished content mind you) out to sell as an add on. It would be like GTA 5 having Trevor's entire story as DLC and all the open world events as DLC as well. With only Michael's missions and maybe a tidbit of Franklin's.

So let's hope to God they don't pull that poo poo again this time around. Because as much as I loved both games, after what they did I told myself I wouldn't buy a Mafia 3 as a result of what they pulled in 2.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I really sometimes wish we'd get a directors cut of Mafia 2 with what they really intended now :smith:.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I really sometimes wish we'd get a directors cut of Mafia 2 with what they really intended now :smith:.

Well, when you play Mafia 2, just imagine that Joe's adventures is after Vito goes to prison. In fact, if you want, you can stop game progression and do not start the next mission when Vito goes to prison, play Joe's adventures, and loop back around again to restart main story progression. You would basically have everything there from a cohesive story perspective.

With that said, considering what they did to Mafia 2, I see this and it concerns me that they are going to gut it once again for DLC.

quote:

Faster, Baby! will see Lincoln partner up with Roxy Laveau, an old flame, to take care of a corrupt Sheriff whos been making trouble for Civil Rights activists in New Bordeaux.

Sign of the Times has a spookier tone, with Father James asking Lincoln to investigate ritualistic killings.

In Stones Unturned Lincoln joins CIA agent John Donovan to settle a blood feud that was born in the jungles of Vietnam.

You can get a feel for the content by perusing the gallery below.

All three story expansions will cost you $39.97 if you opt to buy them separately.

Time will tell if those story DLC's would have made impact on the main story once we play the full release, or if they are completely separate missions that do not impact anything. Either way, knowing they already have storyboards and layouts/information/titles done, it's a good bet this poo poo was cut from the game and is being repackaged like Mafia 2's DLC content.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I always wondered why Mafia 2's story seemed so ridiculously short, and now I know. Thanks, thread!

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Utnayan posted:

With that said, considering what they did to Mafia 2, I see this and it concerns me that they are going to gut it once again for DLC.

Time will tell if those story DLC's would have made impact on the main story once we play the full release, or if they are completely separate missions that do not impact anything. Either way, knowing they already have storyboards and layouts/information/titles done, it's a good bet this poo poo was cut from the game and is being repackaged like Mafia 2's DLC content.

I can personally verify that all the paid DLC for Mafia 3 that I know of is original content that was never slated to appear in the main storyline or game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
While the open world was barren, the part that really made me realize it is the section in Mafia 2 where the game tells you to raise money, and basically the only way to raise money was by stealing cars and selling them. It seemed like they wanted to give you a variety of things you could do.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

SilentW posted:

I can personally verify that all the paid DLC for Mafia 3 that I know of is original content that was never slated to appear in the main storyline or game.

That's great news :)

You have been promoted to special goon status.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SilentW posted:

thats awsome. it sounds like 2K learned there lesson after M2 and to a lesser extent bioshock infinite. can you tell us anything about the racism stuff? like how ingrained is it into the game? I am curious because i know depending how it goes it will probaly be a thing in alot of reviews,for better or worse.

blackguy32 posted:

While the open world was barren, the part that really made me realize it is the section in Mafia 2 where the game tells you to raise money, and basically the only way to raise money was by stealing cars and selling them. It seemed like they wanted to give you a variety of things you could do.
yeah. that definitely explains alot.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 13, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So does that mean you're one of the guys deciding which fences go where and what objects act as cover or are you one of the guys saying, "There should be a sick drag race here!"?

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
It looks like the driving (crashing into poo poo) is bad. Can you damage the body of the car beyond the car just smoking/blowing up?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

im gay posted:

It looks like the driving (crashing into poo poo) is bad. Can you damage the body of the car beyond the car just smoking/blowing up?

it seems like its GTA 5 light.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I remember the first Mafia actually deformed the car mesh when it got hit. I would routinely play the tutorial level just to drive that car down the massive hill into a pole and see how it broke.

I also remember hitting a car with a bat until one of the vertices was a good ten feet away from the rest of the car.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Utnayan posted:

Did your publisher cut entire story segments out of the game to sell as DLC, thereby destroying the game fluidity, taking out open world features, and causing Daniel Vavra to quit in disgust like what happened in Mafia 2? Or did they learn their lesson to never pull that poo poo again? If the latter, I would consider that a good sign this time around.

Not empty-quoting, but I think I'm going to wait on release for this one. Mafia II was shaping up to be a decent game until I realized that a huge chunk of the fun stuff was just a cutscene.

I mean, the city in snow was one of the best realizations I'd ever seen, and it turned out to be set-dressing to a corridor shooter.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
GOOD NEWS!! Their DLC plan doesn't penalize you for waiting! One of the first releases I've seen recently that actually does this! Please set a new standard because gently caress current DLC practices.

:ironicat:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hav posted:

Not empty-quoting, but I think I'm going to wait on release for this one. Mafia II was shaping up to be a decent game until I realized that a huge chunk of the fun stuff was just a cutscene.

I mean, the city in snow was one of the best realizations I'd ever seen, and it turned out to be set-dressing to a corridor shooter.

normaly i would agree, but i have seen enough fun gameplay(open world) for me to take the risk.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I just checked this out, boy it looks cool. I absolutely was in love with Mafia 1 and 2 but didn't have high hopes for 3 given the context of development hell and all. Watching gameplay, and hearing the devs talk about how they're doing the model of 'we'll do free updates for little poo poo like outfits and our big DLC will be proper story stuff' got me sucked in. I'll probably wind up preordering given these gameplay videos and all.

I was reading some article that gave me some hope for how they handle the racism issue. Apparently it is very much A Thing but they stick to a fairly realistic version rather than going almost Cobra Villain levels like Bioshock did with its racists worshipping Booth and reenacting The Lottery and poo poo. The guy mentioned stuff like how in the 'good' parts of town cops are pretty drat fast to respond to near anything, but in the poorer parts you have more leeway, and stuff like white only businesses being a genuine gameplay mechanic to deal with by stealth and all. It sounds like they're trying to walk the line between 'yea no poo poo you want to machine gun KKK members so here's lots of opportunities to feel very good about that' and 'but for real these guys are based on very real issues that still do actual damage to real human beings so maybe let's not make them saturday morning cartoon villains'.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
I just wanna shoot some fools

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

SilentW posted:

As a dude with a direct fiscal incentive to see this game do well, I can assure you that it meets every criteria that you would find purchase-worthy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I just checked this out, boy it looks cool. I absolutely was in love with Mafia 1 and 2 but didn't have high hopes for 3 given the context of development hell and all. Watching gameplay, and hearing the devs talk about how they're doing the model of 'we'll do free updates for little poo poo like outfits and our big DLC will be proper story stuff' got me sucked in. I'll probably wind up preordering given these gameplay videos and all.

I was reading some article that gave me some hope for how they handle the racism issue. Apparently it is very much A Thing but they stick to a fairly realistic version rather than going almost Cobra Villain levels like Bioshock did with its racists worshipping Booth and reenacting The Lottery and poo poo. The guy mentioned stuff like how in the 'good' parts of town cops are pretty drat fast to respond to near anything, but in the poorer parts you have more leeway, and stuff like white only businesses being a genuine gameplay mechanic to deal with by stealth and all. It sounds like they're trying to walk the line between 'yea no poo poo you want to machine gun KKK members so here's lots of opportunities to feel very good about that' and 'but for real these guys are based on very real issues that still do actual damage to real human beings so maybe let's not make them saturday morning cartoon villains'.

yeah pretty much. which is a nice change of pace. though some of the bioshock infinite stuff isnt far off(well the racist ideals and stuff, even some of the propoganda and the language) from the believes of the turn of the century bigots. poo poo like fink and other poo poo are basicaly right out of the gilded age. I listen to the dollop to much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmV5OdBValg

new trailer shows klansmen dying.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I'm ungodly excited for this game, but the guns, in particular the 1911, seem scaled just a bit too large.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So far everything we've heard has been MUCH better but holy poo poo that trailer VO is worse than some indie games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuhVMojeX9A

new walkthroug/trailer.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

My favourite part of the walkthough is that the hotel elevator code is 0451. If I ever need to get through a door with a keypad on it, I'm just going to punch that in first and see if that works.

I had mixed feelings when they first announced that Mafia 3 was moving to the 60s and to the south as I was still having a blast with 2 and wanted more, but man this is really shaping up to look nice. I'll have to keep a closer eye on this as it gets closer to release.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Psychotic Weasel posted:

My favourite part of the walkthough is that the hotel elevator code is 0451. If I ever need to get through a door with a keypad on it, I'm just going to punch that in first and see if that works.

I had mixed feelings when they first announced that Mafia 3 was moving to the 60s and to the south as I was still having a blast with 2 and wanted more, but man this is really shaping up to look nice. I'll have to keep a closer eye on this as it gets closer to release.

There are a million crime dramas involving New York City surrogates and Italian Americans. I was glad they not only picked the South, The 60s and a black protag, but they seem to be going the whole nine yards with their setting. Goddamn am I going to kills some loving Clansman in as many ways as I can.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yep. They'll probably be the source of many, "Mission Failed: Police Alerted" for me.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Ha, I noticed that too. :)

Is this how games promotion is done nowadays? Let a million youtubers stream the game as much as they want with restrictions on showing the story missions? I feel like I have a good view on what the game offers in terms of gameplay.

Assassinating or interrogating key people and destroying stockpiles of stuff looks like it could become a bit tedious after a while. Like always with cover shooters, gunplay looks too easy whenever enemies are only in front of you. Stand in a doorway and whistle to attract a nearby enemy, knock 'em out. Stand in a doorway and fire at a stationary 'boss' at the end of a hallway. At least you can die very easily if exposed to damage. And it seems you can't carry a ton of ammo for any weapon, forcing you to pick up new ones during gun fights, that's interesting.

Also the story sounds interesting and the larger story missions looks to have more variation (like how you could steal that car to infiltrate the hotel but there were many other approaches in the video above). And the city looks beautiful to explore.

Still gonna wait for reviews.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

oh my god not only is there an 1887 but Clay spins it too y e s

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Really, the only weapon I need in my '70s weapons simulator is the M202 FLASH

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I know stealth is supposed to be the Big Thing of a game like Mafia III, but the AI was acting kind of dumb when Clay was going through the garage. "Ho dee hum, I just heard a body slump over right on the other side of the loading bay from where I'm standing, better not turn around and stop facing this big brick wall I'm staring at, doo de dum de dee."

Like at the very least, it looked extremely generous to the player in terms of limiting how close something is before the AI notices it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Can we legit punch rascists in the face and run away before the cops called because unlike GTA V nobody has a smart phone?

If so, rascists gonna get punched.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Speaking of "gently caress GTAV" I'll be happy if I can quietly murder someone in the middle of nowhere with no witnesses and not have psychic cops appear out of nowhere.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Can we legit punch rascists in the face and run away before the cops called because unlike GTA V nobody has a smart phone?

i think you can.

Ofaloaf posted:

I know stealth is supposed to be the Big Thing of a game like Mafia III, but the AI was acting kind of dumb when Clay was going through the garage. "Ho dee hum, I just heard a body slump over right on the other side of the loading bay from where I'm standing, better not turn around and stop facing this big brick wall I'm staring at, doo de dum de dee."

Like at the very least, it looked extremely generous to the player in terms of limiting how close something is before the AI notices it.

Dumb AI sucks but its always very low on my list of something gamebreaking(unless its like superbroken) i am sure my mind can come with a bullshit in game explanation for it.

Capn Beeb posted:

oh my god not only is there an 1887 but Clay spins it too y e s

i loved that too.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ofaloaf posted:

They could be playing on Easy, early gameplay previews tend to be made braindead easy.

If the AI is dumb though, hopefully the mission design, writing, and atmosphere will make up for it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SeanBeansShako posted:

from how it sounds yea. You get a very clear icon of the snitches, and they have to physically run to the phone, usually while shouting "I'M CALLING THE POLICE". You can either bail while they're doing that or just go shove them down and scare them into not calling.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Or kill them in to not calling.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

quote:

A politically correct video game... I loved the first Mafia. I ended up working on Mafia 2 for two years. I was the only one the 2K west team that even played the first one. No one understood the significance of the killing of the old man in his garden either. I got into an argument with the developers and team leader because the street vendors used ketchup instead of mustard. They marked it WNF and I was like WTF!? Everyone knows that in Chicago or New York, it's mustard mustard mustard. I think there devs where weird Czechs.

I love youtube comments. :allears:

Pretty excited for this game.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I love youtube comments. :allears:

Pretty excited for this game.

Spergs gonna sperg.

There was some talk earlier of Joe's Adventure, now it's on sale. For 1.59 you can't really go wrong I suppose but Steam reviews are mixed. Would it be worth it to someone who has played Mafia 2 twice?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tatum Girlparts posted:

from how it sounds yea. You get a very clear icon of the snitches, and they have to physically run to the phone, usually while shouting "I'M CALLING THE POLICE". You can either bail while they're doing that or just go shove them down and scare them into not calling.

Can we damage pay phones? I think I saw that but could be hallucinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Spergs gonna sperg.

There was some talk earlier of Joe's Adventure, now it's on sale. For 1.59 you can't really go wrong I suppose but Steam reviews are mixed. Would it be worth it to someone who has played Mafia 2 twice?

No.

People make a big deal about "the game was ripped apart for DLC!" and it's true. Joe's Adventure and the Jimmy's stuff was originally supposed to be in the game, along with probably more stuff ( there's that period near the middle?ish where Vito and Joe have a little adventure with their newfound power fighting a bunch of dudes that was probably supposed to be gameplay originally ).

The thing is it doesn't loving matter, and none of that content makes the game feel more fleshed out in any way. If you just want to see the Mafia 2 plot, the base game is fine, and I never had a problem with how it ended. Like the Joe's Adventure DLC's entire point was to give you something to do while Vito was in prison, and make you feel more confident about the Joe/Vito relationship. Except they achieve the exact same results in Mafia 2 with a quick cutscene, and how much airtime they gave Joe anyway. He didn't need that 2-3 hourish segue to get more love, and it actually feels really odd playing it in the base game, because it pulls off from the core plot.

If you just want to see it, yeah, whatever that translates to in Europe funny money is probably worth the price, it's not a terrible addon and it's more Mafia 2. I like the Mafia 2 gunplay/characters enough that more of it wasn't a bad thing. But if you are expecting some connecting epic that you plan on quitting out of the main story for when Vito goes to prison so you can see "the real Mafia 2!" don't. It's not that.

The bigger crime wasn't removing Joe's Adventure, because I'm not sure it being in the base game would have made the base game a better thing. The crime 2K pulled was removing all side activities for the loving Jimmy's Vendetta nonsense.

• Locked thread