Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
How is Infinite Crisis regarded in hindsight? I remember reading it at the time and thinking it was a bit of a silly confusing mess (I knew less about comics at the time); I reread it last month and really enjoyed both the general story and the meta commentary. I also found it an amusing counterpoint to Final Crisis since Infinite Crisis seemed to be saying 'Yes, comics have more realism injected into them now and it makes things morally difficult sometimes', then Final Crisis was all about how comics are becoming too dark and they should have clearer morality again. Morrison is Superboy Prime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gaz-L posted:

Yes, futuristic in this toy line where the gimmick was everyone had a handheld shield with rivets moulded in... :psyduck:
It makes a weird sense when you put it into context. Mattel's reason for Secret Wars was securing a franchise just in case superheroes really took off, and they were especially concerned about this because they had passed on doing the toys for sci-fi juggernaut Star Wars. One of the direct effects of which was they developed the He-man sword and sorcery franchise. "But wait! He-man has laser guns and tanks in it!" You would rightfully point out, and this is because it was developed to compete in a market saturated with Star Wars where all the focus groups came back wanting sci-fi. Secret Wars, on the other hand, was developed for a market saturated with the wildly successful He-man which had Trojan-horsed the market back to fantasy sword and shield with sci-fi trimmings.

So a conservative Mattel looking to hedge their bets with a new franchise would naturally just say "why not both?"

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I regard Infinite Crisis as crap. It's obnoxiously edgelordy, you can see all the spots where they decided to veer in a different direction at the last minute, and the meta-commentary falls apart when you remember that the writer is one of the people who spent the last 2-3 years real time making the DCU so stupidly grimdark in the first place.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Teenage Fansub posted:

That pouch garter is pretty cute.

It's part of a proud Latverian tradition

Once a year, a doombot has to kneel in front of Dr. Doom while he's wearing the garter, and pull it off his leg. That 'bot then has to throw the garter over his head into a crowd of assembled doombots, who try to catch it. The one that catches it gets the honor of being next to impersonate Doom for a year. If he survives a whole year, he's the one that takes the garter off next year.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I regard Infinite Crisis as crap. It's obnoxiously edgelordy, you can see all the spots where they decided to veer in a different direction at the last minute, and the meta-commentary falls apart when you remember that the writer is one of the people who spent the last 2-3 years real time making the DCU so stupidly grimdark in the first place.
It's been awhile, but I was following Batman-related stuff closely at the time and the whole event seemed like it boiled down to "Batman hosed everything up by being a huge douche because he has trust issues." That those trust issues stemmed from Identity Crisis was the cherry on top.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Teenage Fansub posted:

That pouch garter is pretty cute.

And functional! It holds his laser blaster!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

It's been awhile, but I was following Batman-related stuff closely at the time and the whole event seemed like it boiled down to "Batman hosed everything up by being a huge douche because he has trust issues." That those trust issues stemmed from Identity Crisis was the cherry on top.

seemed like it had been simmering since Tower of Babel. I thought it all made sense in continuity with the only really egregious thing being Superboy changing reality by punching so hard.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I thought it was pretty much defending the darker stuff as being more real world with more complex morality, so it's consistent it would be the same guy making that argument.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neurosis posted:

I thought it was pretty much defending the darker stuff as being more real world with more complex morality, so it's consistent it would be the same guy making that argument.

It's true, ripping people's arms off is pretty complex from a moral perspective. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's completely hosed up that "Superboy punched a wall" actually was the excuse for how Jason Todd came back.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

muscles like this? posted:

It's completely hosed up that Jason Todd came back.

Agreed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really enjoyed Infinite Crisis when it came out because it seemed (and I'm not fond of using the word) "epic" to 14-year old me. I felt the same way about Identity Crisis; on the face of it, it looked clever, and I hadn't the wit or the maturity at that time to take a closer look at it at the time and appreciate where its shortcomings lay.

Although I still have a modicum of affection for it as the first event I was into and followed as it was coming out, Infinite Crisis, to me, is a fairly typical event that thinks it's cleverer, or that it's making a bigger and more profound point, than it actually is. I feel the same way about Blackest Night, which was "superhero zombie apocalypse" but which I remember a lot of people treating as "serious discussion of the nature of death in comic books".

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

I really enjoyed the Under The Hood arc, so that validated the decision to bring Jason Todd back for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Infinite Crisis is really bad but the OMAC Project is okay and the whole thing is kind of worth it for giving us 52.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Villains United was pretty fun, too.

The event as a whole was pretty bad, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

muscles like this? posted:

It's completely hosed up that "Superboy punched a wall" actually was the excuse for how Jason Todd came back.

It's hosed up that "the devil gave Spider-Man a divorce" actually was the excuse for Aunt May and Harry Osborn being alive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm sure glad they brought Harry Osborne back. They've done so much with the character! Like... ah... that thing!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

It's hosed up that "the devil gave Spider-Man a divorce" actually was the excuse for Aunt May and Harry Osborn being alive.

It's not like May had died again or been replaced with an actress this time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Harry has always been one of Spider-Man's best supporting characters. There's really no reason not to have him around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Harry has always been one of Spider-Man's best supporting characters. There's really no reason not to have him around.

His death was very well done. His resurrection not so much and where the hell has he been of late?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Harry basically had full and complete arc that ended tragically but meaningfully.

The 'best supporting character' hasn't done anything since he came back and barely anyone remembers he's still around. This isn't even a "Well, they brought him back to do a really good story" revival. They brought him back because Harry Osborne is in both the movie series and they wanted to have him available in case he got popular and they could find an excuse to toss his rear end in the Goblin suit again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Um actually I'll have you know that Harry's role as guy who shows up for a page every issue to remind people that he owes Pete for giving him a job and Spidey is a decent guy is very important because

reasons

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

It's not like May had died again or been replaced with an actress this time.

She was quite literally on death's door and everyone from the medical doctors all the way to Aunt May herself via seance saying 'there's nothing more that can be done, you have to let go'. The whole reason they made the deal was because Mephisto said he could stop her from dying.

ImpAtom posted:

Harry basically had full and complete arc that ended tragically but meaningfully.

The 'best supporting character' hasn't done anything since he came back and barely anyone remembers he's still around. This isn't even a "Well, they brought him back to do a really good story" revival. They brought him back because Harry Osborne is in both the movie series and they wanted to have him available in case he got popular and they could find an excuse to toss his rear end in the Goblin suit again.

Yeah, at least we got some good stories with Kraven after he came back, even if there's a good case to be made that he should have stayed dead (and the resurrection story wasn't anything special either). Harry has had nothing. He's honestly the poster child for BND: a return to something from Spider-Man's past that was remembered fondly by everyone and had a good ending, but brought back to pander to the nostalgia of the editors/writers rather than because it was for the good of the story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Die Laughing posted:

Except that he died, and that there's obviously nothing left to say about him since no one has done anything interesting with the character at all since he came back. There's no reason at all to bring him back instead of focusing on creating new and interesting supporting characters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Except that he died, and that there's obviously nothing left to say about him since no one has done anything interesting with the character at all since he came back. There's no reason at all to bring him back instead of focusing on creating new and interesting supporting characters.

I think there could be some interesting stuff now if they tried to make a connection between how Peter has his company and Harry used to have his father's. But I don't know if there's much to mine from that.

Also, if Harry isn't a wreck and if he isn't a supervillain to Spider-Man, there's really not a whole lot to him. His greatest contributions have been getting addicted to drugs and being the Green Goblin. Without having the rest of the gang around like in the Coffee Bean days I honestly don't know what his role is supposed to be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I just re-read Maximum Carnage and for all it's faults, the ending has Spider-Man walking between the gravestones of Harry and Norman Osborn and it's a really touching moment, made the 12 terrible issues that probably could have been done in 3 or 4 feel almost worth it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Isn't Maximum Carnage way way better than Maximum Clonage? Not like that's saying much, but still.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What's maximum clonage?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What's maximum clonage?

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Maximum_Clonage

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Toxxupation posted:

Isn't Maximum Carnage way way better than Maximum Clonage? Not like that's saying much, but still.

Is Maximum Clonage what they're calling the entire clone saga from the 90's? because I wouldn't say it's better, it's definitely a lot shorter but contained in the clone saga are some pretty good stories, padded out with a bunch of bullshit. Where Maximum Carnage is like 95% bullshit but has a couple nice moments.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Oh usually people call it the clone saga

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Isn't the Clone Saga like two years and something like eighty issues long or something? Because it covered four simultaneous monthlies right? Maximum Clonage is just the story arc within Clone Saga where Ben and Peter figure out once and for all who was the clone and it introduces all those super dumb clones (like Kaine and poo poo).

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
You take that back, Kaine is a great clone!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dammit, Y'all are making me want to re-read the clone saga and because I know it's all on Marvel Unlimited but they have lovely rear end loving organizing for crossovers I'm going to have to find a reading list then use there search function after almost every issue for probably more than the guy above me just said. I hate y'all.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

RandallODim posted:

You take that back, Kaine is a great clone!

Yeah, in Scarlet Spider, like two decades later.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah, in Scarlet Spider, like two decades later.

Yeah, he was basically a lame Venom at the start.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh usually people call it the clone saga

Maximum Clonage is a specific mini-event during the clone saga. It could be argued to be the low point and certainly has the most clones and dumb poo poo in it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Spidercide!

Anyone remember the Very Best of Spider-Man trade from the 90's? Has Amazing Fantasy 15, the issue where he lifts the heavy poo poo, the kid who collected Spider-Man, the one with the wrestler and Man Mountain Marko, two McFarlane stories (one with Venom and one with Lizard), and the death of Harry Osborn in Spectacular 200. I had it when I was a kid, and my bartender showed me a copy he just got for his nephew. I still think they're some very solid choices for the best Spidey comics told in one issue.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Not to poo poo on the guy too hard, but I doubt McFarlane issues would make the cut for something like that today.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skwirl posted:

Dammit, Y'all are making me want to re-read the clone saga and because I know it's all on Marvel Unlimited but they have lovely rear end loving organizing for crossovers I'm going to have to find a reading list then use there search function after almost every issue for probably more than the guy above me just said. I hate y'all.
Just use this link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why the hell does Spider-Man seemingly have so many evil-Spiderman enemies? Venom, Carnage, the Clone, the Doppleganger, more symbiotes, Kaine, etc