Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

orcinus posted:

The athorities start looking into CIG.
Ortwin wants out.

Who'd have expected such a sequence of events!

All of us here, minus a few shills.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So what new thing happened?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

SirPhoebos posted:

So what new thing happened?

Big Kotaku article looking at the internal culture at CIG.

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/09/23/inside-the-troubled-development-of-star-citizen

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

sorla78 posted:

https://vimeo.com/59435082 (spoiler: Forrest Stephan originally comes from Architecture, didn't have much experience before Star Citizen within the game industry, started as a 3D Modeller before transitioning into Technical Artist - might make you understand why a seasoned Character Artist team walks out on you when someone with that scope of experience suddenly calls the shots and you have to deliver under unrealistic deadlines with a CEO notorious for american or american't)

What I find a delicious irony is that Seth Nash probably got the final laugh here, because, looking at his LinkedIn, he's been working at Infinity Ward since September of last year, which means he's probably had a hand in the development of COD: Infinite Warfare.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The article fails on many topics, just because he is a day two backer, doesn't mean he knows how this game should be made.
I would say it is false to call the current state of the game several independent game demos.
Game is very much turning into the full product, PTU is a mmo in alpha status.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Has Chris-R taken 8 hours to write a rambling response where he somehow drags in unrelated poo poo-fests?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

SirPhoebos posted:

Has Chris-R taken 8 hours to write a rambling response where he somehow drags in unrelated poo poo-fests?

No, they did better where they just got the response straight from him and wrote it in the article.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
The people with over 10,000 posts on the official forums might be more broken than the ones who have donated over $10,000.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

SirPhoebos posted:

No need. He actually participated with the author and provided a great deal of insight into what a shite leader he is. What's most amusing is that he probably thinks he really set the record straight on how awesome the progress on SC/SQ42 is, when he just demonstrated that he's a total fuckwit.

Also, the Shitizens are absolutely loving it for the same reason. This despite the fact that some of the emphasized quotes are:

quote:

"The stretch goals were really starting to get a bit scary. I was like 'When's this going to stop? We're just adding more and more and more and more and more" - Paul Jones

quote:

If you ask people to keep working 60-, 70-, 80-hour weeks without an end date in sight, it's going to put a strain on their personal relationships and personal lives. - CIG source

quote:

The problems were inherent from the beginning. It's just not a wise decision to attempt everything at once. - CIG source

quote:

It's one thing to be someone who goes to work and doesn't work because they don't want to be there. It's another thing to be someone who likes their job but is unable to do it - CIG source

quote:

It was just a giant clusterfuck of documents and data, a lot of which conflicted with other bits. Sometimes documents were out of date and sometimes someone worked on something that someone else had already done. - CIG source

quote:

I think you got a lot of stepping on each other's feet and that added to the frustration the different studios felt for each other. - Tony Zurovec

quote:

It's very easy when you have distance to blame it on the other guy, to say 'They broke the build. Those idiots in wherever did it.' - Roberts

quote:

I generally give people a pass a few times but at some point I will say 'You've got to get your act together. A bunch of people are depending on this thing to happen, so what are we doing? What's the plan? -Roberts

quote:

When you have a company structure like CIG, you make the directors irrelevant. You make it so that the employees start going directly to Chris Roberts. Why would you go to your director? His opinion doesn't matter. - CIG source

quote:

If it happened then I would believe in God. -CIG source

LOL I truly love how stupid Shitizens are.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

D1E posted:

No need. He actually participated with the author and provided a great deal of insight into what a shite leader he is. What's most amusing is that he probably thinks he really set the record straight on how awesome the progress on SC/SQ42 is, when he just demonstrated that he's a total fuckwit.

Also, the Shitizens are absolutely loving it for the same reason. This despite the fact that some of the emphasized quotes are:

Pfftt, what do THOSE idiots know? They are only the developers of the game. Only Chris really knows anything, only he can understand the true scope of his visionary genius!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Did any one of those people create Wing Commander?
That's right, they haven't.

Chris did!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The screaming and yelling is just for :911:

He's pretty chill in his :britain: shows. He still swears a lot though.

I was gonna post this, totally different tone on those shows

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I was gonna post this, totally different tone on those shows

If you put episodes of US shows side by side, in sync, i'd bet the outbursts would line up second for second (except for ”specials” like Amy's Baking Company).

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D1E posted:

It's not just that. What's missing here is that those lauding his commentary in the article, are cut from the same sheet of broken cloth. So of course they can relate to his bullshit; and thus think it's all perfectly OK.

Please remember: The worst thing for Shitizens is not that croberts was wrong; it's that dsmart was right about anything"

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 25, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

orcane posted:

The article fails on many topics, just because he is a day two backer, doesn't mean he knows how this game should be made.
I would say it is false to call the current state of the game several independent game demos.
Game is very much turning into the full product, PTU is a mmo in alpha status.

Please don't jape

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

It's not just that. What's missing here is that those lauding his commentary in the article, are cut from the same sheet of broken cloth. So of course they can related to poo poo bullshit; and thus think it's all perfectly OK.

Please remember: The worst thing for Shitizens is not that croberts was wrong; it's that Kotaku was right about anything"

Please don't steal ungoon valour!

After all, where's your exhaustive conversations and interviews with CIG staff, including Chris Roberts, Tony Z, and Ben Lesnick?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

orcinus posted:

If you put episodes of US shows side by side, in sync, i'd bet the outbursts would line up second for second (except for ”specials” like Amy's Baking Company).

I also noticed (after a dumb kitchen nightmares binge) that the US restaurants he goes to are way more boring than the UK ones. Every single US kitchen he visits seems to freeze everything, not know how to cook something so it's not raw, and be run by some idiot egotist-family who ploughed all their money into a black hole. Most of them don't deserve to succeed.

What I'm saying is that I'd be screaming too

E: *in new jersey voice* "oim foyve million in debt... i gotta get it together or we'll all be homeless" *five minutes later* "we're doin just foine, goardon ramsey don't know poo poo"

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 25, 2016

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart posted:

It's not just that. What's missing here is that those lauding his commentary in the article, are cut from the same sheet of broken cloth. So of course they can related to poo poo bullshit; and thus think it's all perfectly OK.

Please remember: The worst thing for Shitizens is not that croberts was wrong; it's that dsmart was right about anything"

Derek, I genuinely like you. I think I you're one heck of a character, and often a very funny person. You live a very interesting life, and your game development history does give you a very particular kind of insight into the development of Star Citizen. I'm glad you're here and a goon.

But do think you might be just as egocentric as Crobbers?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Chris confirmed the most interesting of EightAce's citcon predictions yesterday.

EightAce posted:

Prepare for Shitcon

Bare witness to a star studded sq42 trailer with lots and I mean LOTS of cool explosions
Observe your citizen landing on a hand crafted proceduraly generated planet, buy some land and initiate farming mechanics.
See an epic space battle with 4 cap ships and up to 16 citizens engaging in zero gravity combat.
Buy some new trousers in a space trouser shop .
Explore the Grim hex , be careful of pirates though !
And if thats not enough for you , get saving those space dollars for a new JPEG

http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2613-chris-roberts-on-star-citizen-procedural-planets-alpha3-citizencon

quote:

For the CitizenCon demo, though, a special planet has been created for a “Homestead demo.” This planet is more Earth-like in its biome distribution, containing forests, oceans, mountains, and deserts; the Homestead demo won't see inclusion in 3.0 and is purpose-built for the CitizenCon unveil of Planets V2. Roberts elaborated:

quote:

Planet sets are used to rapidly generate, with varying and voluntary levels of manual involvement, settlements, farms, homesteads, or other points of interest. Artists may also elect to use a distribution map to roll dice, effectively assigning an X% chance of a homestead occurrence on the surface.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

D1E posted:

Derek, I genuinely like you. I think I you're one heck of a character, and often a very funny person. You live a very interesting life, and your game development history does give you a very particular kind of insight into the development of Star Citizen. I'm glad you're here and a goon.

That's why I still push for a chess-boxing match between them to figure out who's right. I'd expect Derek to win both chess and boxing.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Ponzi posted:

It makes sense to me that Ortwin would want out at this stage. I suspect that's he's the one who's responsible for the idea of setting up the network of companies all over the place, and using Hollywood accounting to enable the extraction of as much 'development' money as possible.

Of course, providing a full cost-accounting of how the money's been spent would quickly settle the issue, but for some reason this hasn't been forthcoming.

Ortwin wanting to be paid to end his involvment is a kicker though. I think at the end of all this, those still involved will be the ones where the blame is directed

If Ortwin wants out, that means the whole thing has been milked dry and the money has run out. The rumour isn't that he wants "paid" to leave, but that he wants his share bought out.

I don't believe for one single second that an extraordinary number of gullible people are STILL putting MILLIONS into this thing every month. I simply don't believe it. If the funding tracker is to be believed (I don't believe it, and by extension neither do I buy the metrics of several thousand monthly whales to the tune of £3m) then that money has to be coming from somewhere else.

So I'm sitting here this last week becoming slowly convinced that the money is coming to an end, and all of a sudden rumours surface of Ortwin looking to get out, followed by even more rumours of key people getting out.

I'll say it again - there is no loving way there are people putting MILLIONS into this every month. Even the most fanatical of the remaining faithful are talking about only being in for a few thousand dollars. Britizencon was an empty room. Something doesn't add up.

CIG's videos get on average 15,000 views. That means every single YouTube viewer would be "pledging" $200 every month for the last few years just to keep it ticking over. Bollocks.

The only thing that would convince me that there are genuinely people still funding this would be the actual accounting, but that remains just another unfulfilled, removed and forgotten obligation.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Chris just sees graphical beauty and network performance as two independent entities when they really aren't.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

D_Smart posted:

Talk is cheap though, and the same boring rebuttals and arguments don't look - to me anyway - worth $3 million a month in funding.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Will the Space Potatoes that you can grow be procedurally generated too?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D1E posted:

The closer this gets to melting pot status the more difficult it's going to be for people who have been shouting about it the whole time to stay relevant. I think it's as much ego as it is trying to stay relevant.

The "I told you so" at the end will be much better if people remember/know who you are. :)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D1E posted:

That's a loaded question. And my answer is: Nope.

The Power of Ego

Character flaws: The seven chief features of ego

Ego Versus Ego-Strength: The Characteristics of a Healthy Ego and Why It’s Essential to Your Happiness

5 Deadly Kinds of Ego That Prey Upon Your Success

Confidence Vs. Ego: The Difference Between Success And Self-Sabotage

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

happyhippy posted:

Will the Space Potatoes that you can grow be procedurally generated too?

Eye.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Young Freud posted:

The reason Gordon Ramsay can get that agitated is that he is both from an extremely high-performance, high-pressure environment of equally egomaniac mentors like Marco Pierre White but also he has to take the responsibility for anything that goes wrong. An order goes wrong, it's not like a change-up at Taco Bell, he has to go out and explain to the customer the issue. If someone gets food poisoning while he's head chef, he's criminally liable. He may have put his reputation to get a loan to buy that restaurant from a loan officer or get investment funds from those shareholders at Gordon Ramsay Holdings and has to explain to them why this restaurant is underperforming. Of course, he's going to get angry when some goldbrick when it's his money and reputation on the line. Ramsay has experienced first hand failure, about of a third of his ventures have closed, usually short-lived experiments that failed after a year. It's why he's livid when he runs into Amy's Baking Company or the other backsliders on Kitchen Nightmares where he uses his experience and pull to legitimately help someone and they spit it back in his face.

Or maybe it's just typical of "reality TV" and in reality he's more rational than portrayed in a single TV show.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

When did the "Ortwin wants out" rumors start, and where did they come from?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SomethingJones posted:

If Ortwin wants out, that means the whole thing has been milked dry and the money has run out. The rumour isn't that he wants "paid" to leave, but that he wants his share bought out.

I don't believe for one single second that an extraordinary number of gullible people are STILL putting MILLIONS into this thing every month. I simply don't believe it. If the funding tracker is to be believed (I don't believe it, and by extension neither do I buy the metrics of several thousand monthly whales to the tune of £3m) then that money has to be coming from somewhere else.

So I'm sitting here this last week becoming slowly convinced that the money is coming to an end, and all of a sudden rumours surface of Ortwin looking to get out, followed by even more rumours of key people getting out.

I'll say it again - there is no loving way there are people putting MILLIONS into this every month. Even the most fanatical of the remaining faithful are talking about only being in for a few thousand dollars. Britizencon was an empty room. Something doesn't add up.

CIG's videos get on average 15,000 views. That means every single YouTube viewer would be "pledging" $200 every month for the last few years just to keep it ticking over. Bollocks.

The only thing that would convince me that there are genuinely people still funding this would be the actual accounting, but that remains just another unfulfilled, removed and forgotten obligation.

I've always enjoyed your analysis and transcriptions. Thank you for that! :glomp:

I agree with you here too.

I'm curious if they'll start panning off these shell companies to people, and naturally whatever assets (money) are with them.

I'm not a lawyer but I'm curious if cutting away shell companies is easier/more legitimate/more difficult to track where the money went than just cutting somebody a check for $x.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ripptide posted:

Or maybe it's just typical of "reality TV" and in reality he's more rational than portrayed in a single TV show.

It's definitely this. The shows he's on with kids he's genuinely nice and productive with them. Ramsey definitely ramps it up for Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares because they gets viewers.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SomethingJones posted:

Gamers Nexus really should read their own articles, they might learn something about bullshit development:

Sept 29 2015
http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2114-chris-roberts-star-citizen-on-dx12-vulkan-and-tech

March 7 2015
http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/1854-chris-roberts-pax-east-instancing-and-zoning

July 21 2015
http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2019-star-citizen-multi-crew-interview-with-chris-roberts

April 24 2015
http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/1919-chris-roberts-bonus-footage-star-citizen-deep-exploration

And on and on and on it goes, a niagra of pure bullshit. Shill site confirmed!

I wonder if he ever enjoyed CIG's hospitality a studio tour? Let's have a look...

http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/1152-star-citizen-interview-m3

And just for good measure...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SirPhoebos posted:

Like, 2 days ago, courtesy of this thread.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Christ, its like some of you don't even READ this thread.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

SirPhoebos posted:

Agent said that was the scuttlebutt at the office. He also promised more today. Its just rumors but rumors usually have an element of truth to them and hes had a decent track record so far.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

SomethingJones posted:

Gamers Nexus really should read their own articles, they might learn something about bullshit development:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/54ba8z/chris_roberts_on_citizencon_procedural_planets_v2/d817033

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Nice thread title

Unironically :smug:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

The Ortwin exit is a huge Red flag if true. It would not only mean that he wants to take his shares (money) out, but also reduce his liability as well as distance himself from the project's impending collapse which will undoubtedly lead to lawsuits, State/Fed investigations etc.

As you know, most of us (you included) have said for months that the funding chart is pure bullshit. I still believe that it is; and I'm hoping that whatever lawsuit or investigation comes from it, digs deeper into it as that would be a clear case of fraud if it turns out to be false.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

Please don't vape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

The Titanic posted:

I've always enjoyed your analysis and transcriptions. Thank you for that! :glomp:

I agree with you here too.

I'm curious if they'll start panning off these shell companies to people, and naturally whatever assets (money) are with them.

I'm not a lawyer but I'm curious if cutting away shell companies is easier/more legitimate/more difficult to track where the money went than just cutting somebody a check for $x.

Cheers!

Please don't take my word for it though - obviously the money situation is an unknown, but I'm just looking at this thing now and thinking, 'yes there are enough gullible people out there, but to the tune of $3 million a MONTH?'

It's a bit of a stretch for me to look at what they have shovelled out this year and look at that funding chart and think it's in any way legit.

• Locked thread