Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the goon ork guild should be GoonSquig :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Cautiously trusting you guys on this, for $35 it's not a huge hit if it's a lemon. For the Dark Gods, most likely; hoping that at least eventually you can be a noise marine and rock out on some chumps.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

There's currently a spergy space marine clan called PG who are literally making GBS threads on everyone every game by pub stomping with about 30 of them. I usually just quit out of the match if I see them because a bunch of disorganized pubbies vs a clan who are all on teamspeak isnt fun at all.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Meanwhile every ork clan is busy typing garbled "ork speak" to each other and otherwise roleplaying orks for some reason.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

BurtLington posted:

There's currently a spergy space marine clan called PG who are literally making GBS threads on everyone every game by pub stomping with about 30 of them. I usually just quit out of the match if I see them because a bunch of disorganized pubbies vs a clan who are all on teamspeak isnt fun at all.

Yea, I had a game against them. It was extremely unfun. I expect to lose as Orks but not that fast!

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Lassitude posted:

Meanwhile every ork clan is busy typing garbled "ork speak" to each other and otherwise roleplaying orks for some reason.

PG are even worse; they spam some latin battle cry. All 30 of them, is insufferable.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

BurtLington posted:

This happened to me last night. I said gently caress it for the night and joined the following day, they were still going.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Ok, initial impressions: more fun than I thought it would be. Melee is brutal, but I've found that I've learned to be a reasonably effective tactical skirmisher and am getting better at maneuvering around them. Took down a couple dudes with hammer and shield just with my bolter. Pretty clunky, yes. It's not open world, but the arenas are huge, so I'm ok with it for the moment. Aesthetically, I like that there's unique quips based on what legion you are. Hydra Dominatus, Marine mooks.

I've encountered the PG guys and they usually dominate, yes. I've also had a couple of matches where we've utterly ruined the opposition, so hey.

I applied for the Chaos Guild, player name "Bane of Bigfoot." Not sure how often I'll be able to play, but willing to take a senior role if only to help out.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I just picked this up and it would be a lot of fun except for the audio cutting in and out as well as GARBAGE NETCODE.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lassitude posted:

If you aren't typing out every chat message in broken ork english then I pity you.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Say orc things from lord of the rings or warcraft for extra saltiness

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Eldar vs Orks seems a bit broken. Apparently the Eldar can float through the air and teleport and I'm just standing there with a pistol getting wrecked.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lootas have incredibly loud guns.

Like, everything else can be turned down and it's just still incredibly loud.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Might throw money in the trash for this. How is the ork experience?

edit ^ well at least they got that right.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I dont what the gently caress gun swooping hawks are using, but god drat... it's like a two shot insta-killer

The best is eldar because you dont have to fight eldar :v:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Might throw money in the trash for this. How is the ork experience?

edit ^ well at least they got that right.

Orks are pretty fun. I haven't played the other races but I feel like Orks got the short end of the stick in most areas but it's not insurmountable. The melee is solid and I've had my best success playing a Slugga who just rushes in swinging away with a choppa. It's pretty great when you're in a huge 60 person server rushing into a fortress with a sea of green around you and the Waaaagh bonus is triggered.

gently caress the Eldar.

Popete fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 25, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Played it for a few hours tonight.

It is pretty fun.

For the life of my I still can't get a block to actually loving work though. Is Parry blow the same thing?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xae posted:

Played it for a few hours tonight.

It is pretty fun.

For the life of my I still can't get a block to actually loving work though. Is Parry blow the same thing?

LMB+RMB (or you can bind Parry Blow to a single key) will block a fast attack. It won't block a heavy attack, which most races denote by doing a real slow overhead baseball swing and holding it for a couple seconds. Unfortunately due to the new server load (average concurrent has gone from ~300 to 3,000) fast attacks will sometimes just go through parry for no reason. :shrug:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Orv posted:

LMB+RMB (or you can bind Parry Blow to a single key) will block a fast attack. It won't block a heavy attack, which most races denote by doing a real slow overhead baseball swing and holding it for a couple seconds. Unfortunately due to the new server load (average concurrent has gone from ~300 to 3,000) fast attacks will sometimes just go through parry for no reason. :shrug:

When the servers lag I just throw a Krak grenade at my feet and run instead of meleeing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I find that the number of waist high walls over long drops means any time I get cornered by melee I can usually just lead them on a merry chase until we find friends.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Count Bleck posted:

Lootas have incredibly loud guns.

Like, everything else can be turned down and it's just still incredibly loud.

When playing as Orkz your sound settings should only have 1 setting:

Roight Proppa' and it's always set to 11 :black101:

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Xae posted:

When the servers lag I just throw a Krak grenade at my feet and run instead of meleeing.

Also rolling away works. When I'm playing as a Shoota, I usually mix between blocking, then rolling away and shooting.

Never not roll.

SirBuddha
Aug 20, 2006
Been playing for a few days, I hate playing with disorganized pubbies... no one spawns transports and they all talk like idiots

SirBuddha
Aug 20, 2006

BurtLington posted:

Also rolling away works. When I'm playing as a Shoota, I usually mix between blocking, then rolling away and shooting.

Never not roll.

dont know why, but as an Ork when ever i get stunned locked i can never roll out of it. but every one else i stun lock can easily just roll away then melee right after

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I think this has the worst implementation of melee I've ever seen in a videogame but man it's fun running around as an Ork.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Phoix posted:

I think this has the worst implementation of melee I've ever seen in a videogame but man it's fun running around as an Ork.

I can see the potential for the melee system, but the lovely netcode and clunky controls make it a massive chore to fight in melee, not to mention that going up against a dedicated melee class who has a power weapon means you have no counter beyond spamming melee for a clang and then dropping a suicide grenade. But otherwise, a rock-paper-scissors system with this kind of lag is crap.

Which is a drat shame, because the shooty part of the game is pretty good when the action heats up. It's not perfect, and holy gently caress do vehicles take a long time to kill unless you have a melta weapon (No Ork equivalent of course :orks:), but watching loads of boyz dakka everything is a sight to warm the heart.

Also, always be pressing T :colbert: (unless you're reloading, since the taunt cancels the reload).

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you parry them they'll be stunned for long enough for you to just shoot them directly in the head.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trust me, you'll all believe me when I say the melee's good when the game stops freezing for 3 seconds at a time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've been having pretty decent success with the melee system as an Ork. The key is to use CTRL to lock on and roll away to take shots at them.

It's pretty fun sneaking up on some lone Space Marine sniping in the back of a map.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

If you parry them they'll be stunned for long enough for you to just shoot them directly in the head.

That would be awesome if it wasn't for the one-hit kill power attacks and the fact that the parry attack takes longer then the power attack to get off, especially against Eldar who can seemingly power attack as fast as they can quick attack. Combined with the rubber banding and the melee is just a great big mess.

Honestly, I'd massively prefer it if they removed the stun from the parry and made it an instant thing rather than what we have now, where you parry and then your guy gets locked into an animation while getting beat on. Hell, I'd prefer if they ditched the whole broken system, but I doubt that'll happen any time soon.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

MadJackMcJack posted:

That would be awesome if it wasn't for the one-hit kill power attacks and the fact that the parry attack takes longer then the power attack to get off, especially against Eldar who can seemingly power attack as fast as they can quick attack. Combined with the rubber banding and the melee is just a great big mess.

Honestly, I'd massively prefer it if they removed the stun from the parry and made it an instant thing rather than what we have now, where you parry and then your guy gets locked into an animation while getting beat on. Hell, I'd prefer if they ditched the whole broken system, but I doubt that'll happen any time soon.

You should see the power attack windup coming and quick attack, or anticipate what your opponent is doing. If you watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and saw the recent Janken Boy episode it's the same idea, a test of mental fortitude.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

You should see the power attack windup coming and quick attack, or anticipate what your opponent is doing.

Buschmaki posted:

Trust me, you'll all believe me when I say the melee's good when the game stops freezing for 3 seconds at a time.

:colbert:

As I said, I can see the potential, but between bad lag and clunky controls, melee is a crapshoot that favours anyone with a power weapon.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I played last night and got a better understanding of the combat system but something still isn't clicking. I'll parry someone and they'll roll or jump pack away immediately and cancel out the stun, or the parry will happen but they won't be stunned. Meanwhile I get parried and I cannot get out of the stun. I can't roll out of it and just stand there like a loving mook while they murder me. The melee system just seems so slow and the netcode is so bad it feels like I'm always at a disadvantage because of reasons.

The shooting is solid and I played a game last night as Chaos where we assaulted a marine stronghold which was a fuckton of fun. Felt like an actual 40k battle. There is something great here, it's just buried under a bad melee system and netcode.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Are Noise Marines in this game? Because that's the only Space Marine worth thinking about playing.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'll reserve judgment on the melee until the NETCODE to improve its way too poo poo to determine if it's even just bad or good.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Are Noise Marines in this game? Because that's the only Space Marine worth thinking about playing.

No god-specific Chaos classes are in. But some of the advancements/customization let you, for example, equip a type of Mark of Khorne which grants you lifestealing but makes you unable to be healed by the Aspiring Sorcerer class. And I guess they might allow for stuff like noise marines with the elite classes they've been talking about.

Orv
May 4, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

I played last night and got a better understanding of the combat system but something still isn't clicking. I'll parry someone and they'll roll or jump pack away immediately and cancel out the stun, or the parry will happen but they won't be stunned. Meanwhile I get parried and I cannot get out of the stun. I can't roll out of it and just stand there like a loving mook while they murder me. The melee system just seems so slow and the netcode is so bad it feels like I'm always at a disadvantage because of reasons.

The shooting is solid and I played a game last night as Chaos where we assaulted a marine stronghold which was a fuckton of fun. Felt like an actual 40k battle. There is something great here, it's just buried under a bad melee system and netcode.

There is talk that something is up with the stun on parries and you're able to break it when you shouldn't be. Not sure if it's a netcode problem or something else, but when you actually land the boot on someone they should be stunned long enough for any race to get one strong attack off uninterrupted. That's the intent, anyway. The reality right now is :shrug:

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
When does the dress up portion of the game unlock?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
The dev that decided to only half way full up a squad before putting people in another is an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Also the screen shake is bad how do I turn it off

• Locked thread