Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I wonder how a younger Hercule would have fared if he had stumbled into Goku and co during Dragonball at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
There was a guy (can't remember his name) at the Tien-era WMA tournament who was apparently a badass fighter and previous champion, but still got chumped by Goku in the first round. I'd imagine Mr. Satan would be roughly on par with that guy.

fake edit: it was King Chappa

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Wonder why nobody (Videl especially) ever sat Hercule down and taught him how Ki works.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 25, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Wonder why nobody (Videl especially) ever sat Hercule down and taught him how Ki works.

...Why? Guy's rich, strong enough to beat up the normies who are the only people who ever have a problem with him, and getting older. What does he care about Kamehamehas and poo poo?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's pretty weird how most World Tournaments had weird magical assholes and then Satan won one without knowing any of that poo poo tho.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

remember that filler (I think it was filler) where satan tried to teach himself how to fly

Dias posted:

It's pretty weird how most World Tournaments had weird magical assholes and then Satan won one without knowing any of that poo poo tho.

after the giant monkey, the entire arena getting blown up, and then the jolly green giant blowing up the entire tournament building and everything around it, I figure the other dudes just gave up

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Why? Guy's rich, strong enough to beat up the normies who are the only people who ever have a problem with him, and getting older. What does he care about Kamehamehas and poo poo?

Ostensibly he is a martial artist and you'd think he'd have some interest in this entire world of martial arts that he never knew about. Dude clearly spent his life training and fighting, he must have at least a passing interest in all this.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

They already cast adult Gohan. They are doing Buu

They've already used adult and high school Gohans.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sassassin posted:

They've already used adult and high school Gohans.

Yeah and they talked about using the one from the goten bit for Buu.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

after the giant monkey, the entire arena getting blown up, and then the jolly green giant blowing up the entire tournament building and everything around it, I figure the other dudes just gave up

Yea, even in the 23rd Tournament most martial artists didn't bother coming and it had something like a third of contestants.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

If you remove Goku, his friends, and people who joined because of them (crane school guys, Piccolo Jr.) we have guys like Bacterian, Namu, Ran Fan, Man Wolf and Pamputt, so yeah, once Goku is out of the way it's not strange Mr. Satan can do a good job.

It's important to note that the World Tournament is not a serious competition to determine the strongest guy in the world, before Mr. Satan made it mainstream it was just a small competition in a small island's festival, the prize money wasn't even that high either. During DB Goku meets plenty of strong people who don't bother to participate, and master Shen explicitly says he made Tien and Chiaotzu take part in the 22nd one because he heard some turtle school kids did well during the last one, so I bet there are still plenty of regular humans around stronger than Mr. Satan.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Attractive Pilaf is disturbing

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IncendiaC posted:

There was a guy (can't remember his name) at the Tien-era WMA tournament who was apparently a badass fighter and previous champion, but still got chumped by Goku in the first round. I'd imagine Mr. Satan would be roughly on par with that guy.

fake edit: it was King Chappa

It was sort of weird watching that episode recentishly and Roshi (Jackie Chun, anyway), Krillin and Yamcha are all lamenting how Goku could be out of the tournament before it's even properly started because he's had the bad luck to draw King Chappa in the first round.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Dragonball's first mistake was to make its protagonists untouchable supermen before the very first tournament.

DBZ set things right by making them underdogs we can root for.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

sassassin posted:

Dragonball's first mistake was to make its protagonists untouchable supermen before the very first tournament.

I liked that about Dragonball, most of it was just a bunch of dicks picking fights with the ubermensch and only figuring it out just before they got their asses handed to them. poo poo was funny.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's really, really boring.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking how Toriyama could have kept the non-saiyan protagonists relevant after Namek and I think a good way of doing it would have been to have more androids from the start of that saga, so there could have been lower-level androids that Krillin, Yamcha and Tien could fight, one slightly stronger one for Piccolo, the the top level ones for Goku and Vegeta and the most powerful one for Gohan.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
there was never any intention of keeping the other good guys relevent and most ppl watching dont even care, like myself

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Reminder the only reason we even have 17, 18 and Cell is because a dude who used to be Toriyama's boss mentioned he thought the designs for 19 and 20 looked dumb.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Pureauthor posted:

Reminder the only reason we even have 17, 18 and Cell is because a dude who used to be Toriyama's boss mentioned he thought the designs for 19 and 20 looked dumb.

His boss was right.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CubeTheory posted:

Ostensibly he is a martial artist and you'd think he'd have some interest in this entire world of martial arts that he never knew about. Dude clearly spent his life training and fighting, he must have at least a passing interest in all this.

The actual explanation is that he doesn't gently caress with crazy super powered guys because Tao Pai Pai murked his master and beat the hell out of him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

sassassin posted:

That's only really true of Raditz and Vegeta's arcs though. Once it hits the Freeza saga the supporting characters are certainly underdogs, but each arc turns in to a case of waiting for Goku or Gohan (in the case of Cell) to get there and beat the villain of the arc. Or, get motivated in Gohan's case I suppose. It works, but I don't think you can really argue that Goku is an underdog against Freeza for instance.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

New Leaf posted:

His boss was right.

This really can't be understated. Score one for bosses apparently.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pureauthor posted:

That entire arc has the feeling of being completely unplanned. It feels like they were trying to develop three different stories, and just ended up aborting two of them half way through in order to change directions.

"Hmm people are bored of this fat clown robot, lets have Trunks come back, and it turns out there was another set of androids all along!". Then after a few episodes of sarcastic teen androids they figure "these jive talking teens won't make for a very epic villain to fight, lets bring back Frieza but green".

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

tsob posted:

It works, but I don't think you can really argue that Goku is an underdog against Freeza for instance.

Freeza was dominating him until he killed Krillin. None of Goku's poo poo worked out well before the Spirit Bomb.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

That entire arc has the feeling of being completely unplanned. It feels like they were trying to develop three different stories, and just ended up aborting two of them half way through in order to change directions.

"Hmm people are bored of this fat clown robot, lets have Trunks come back, and it turns out there was another set of androids all along!". Then after a few episodes of sarcastic teen androids they figure "these jive talking teens won't make for a very epic villain to fight, lets bring back Frieza but green".

It's an organic escalation completely different from most stories. It's great.

tsob posted:

That's only really true of Raditz and Vegeta's arcs though. Once it hits the Freeza saga the supporting characters are certainly underdogs, but each arc turns in to a case of waiting for Goku or Gohan (in the case of Cell) to get there and beat the villain of the arc. Or, get motivated in Gohan's case I suppose. It works, but I don't think you can really argue that Goku is an underdog against Freeza for instance.

Goku isn't around for 1000 episodes of the Namek saga, and when he is he's mostly either outclassed or in someone else's body.

And when he does get the final upper hand Frieza blows up the planet and introduces a whole new set of obstacles.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

man, Zamasu got hosed up :stare:

is it just me or is this arc really speeding toward its conclusion? not that I mind, the pace has been really good for this show

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lupus Rufus posted:

On the topic of retirement for Videl and 18: This has been something I've hated for a while. But I thought about it recently, and it might make sense for Videl to drop the whole "martial artist's legacy" thing herself when she finds out her dad is a fraud (well you know, 'cept for that ONE TIME he helped save the earth).

But yeah I definitely think Super needs to give more opportunities for 18 and Videl to kick some rear end.

Hey

Hercule saved the world twice thank you

He triggered the Gohan

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

On 53 now.

I know that the pilaf gang are mentally and physically children and even when they weren't the latter were not actually capable of taking advantage of anyone

but no matter how cute they make it I can never shake TrunksxMai being weird as hell

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Carlosologist posted:

is it just me or is this arc really speeding toward its conclusion? not that I mind, the pace has been really good for this show

Don't worry, the final fight with Black will take at least five minutes.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Black will beat Goku, Vegeta, and Trunks. Then he'll go Rose-SSJ3 just to show off his power, and then suddenly collapse because he just burnt out all his power. Kid Trunks runs up and decapitates him.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So...Beerus is a bit OP. Please nerf.

I'm interested to see why the thing didn't work next week. Also we get more Vegeta probably getting chumped, as per DB tradition.

About the OG DB, I don't mind Goku and friends being untouchable because it wasn't a punchman manga at first, it was a comedy manga with a punchman background. Eventually it evolved into the overescalation bullshit we all know and love, but c'mon, Krillin beats a guy because he doesn't have a nose.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm very surprised that Beerus just said gently caress it and destroyed him right on the spot. I figured Goku would never allow that to happen. It looked fuckin rad though, and it didn't solve anything, so I don't mind it.

Rodyle posted:

On 53 now.

I know that the pilaf gang are mentally and physically children and even when they weren't the latter were not actually capable of taking advantage of anyone

but no matter how cute they make it I can never shake TrunksxMai being weird as hell

I don't think they're mentally children, they've just always been wacky.

Also, remember at this point Trunks is 30 years old, and Future Mai would be about sixty. This arc is very strange.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like that they've shown that, when push comes to shove, Beerus really is still far ahead of the Saiyans. He just likes a fight so he's not going to straight erase someone who can give him one.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Momomo posted:

I don't think they're mentally children, they've just always been wacky.
I mean they're the sort of people whose idea of ultimate torture is tickling and blowing kisses.

Zamasu's obsession with humans specifically is a bit odd (especially since he counts Goku despite being outright told Goku isn't human). I guess that what they're really saying could also be translated "mortal?" Or maybe since he's a Kai being trained to be Supreme Kai he just used to be Kai of wherever humans in Universe 10 live?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He probably means creatures that have "humanity" but "mortal" is probably the best way to get his point across, I think.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
But then, as we've seen, Kais can die just like anyone else, so they're also mortals, which makes it even stranger. Just see it as Zamasu complaining about everyone sentient that isn't a Kai or above, essentially.

On another note, are Zamasu and Gowasu puns on anything, or are they just names?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I kinda assume that when they became younger, they kept their memories but lost their maturity. A bunch of 10-year olds with 30 years of memories but the personality, mindset and attitude of kids. Alternatively, even Mai knows it's weird she's crushing on Trunks and that's why she's slobbering over the adult version.

edit: oh also I can't get over how the "darkest" arc Super had so far has the bubbliest fuckin' ED in the series. yoka yoka yoka yoka yoka yoka dance

Dias fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 25, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Beerus as a cat who just breaks things sometimes works a lot better than Zeno being a kid who erased 6 universes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Momomo posted:

On another note, are Zamasu and Gowasu puns on anything, or are they just names?

According to the wikia:

Dragon Ball Wikia posted:

The word "Zamasu" may have come from the Japanese verb ざます(zamasu) which translates as "to be, to exist". Unsurprisingly, it shares the exact same definition with his master's hypothetical name etymology, Gowasu.

I honestly don't think there's one single character in the series whose name is "just a name".

• Locked thread