Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

FingersMaloy posted:

Is Gibbon's Decline and Fall... worth reading or is it a more a piece of history itself? Has it been eclipsed by modern scholarship?

I read the abridged version and I enjoyed it immensely. It's a challenging work that is both entertaining and serves as a good example of how historiography has evolved over the centuries. He also does some things that were novel for the time like evaluating the veracity of his sources. However, it has been eclipsed by modern scholarship. I recommend it heartily though--just remember that you may want to take a look at a timeline on wiki or something so you know what's stood the test of time and what hasn't. There are some critiques of the book around as well that may be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

FingersMaloy posted:

Is Gibbon's Decline and Fall... worth reading or is it a more a piece of history itself? Has it been eclipsed by modern scholarship?

As a literary accomplishment and as a way of understanding future works on the fall of Rome, all of which are in some way responding to Gibbon.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

FingersMaloy posted:

It's totally out of date historywise of course, but you get to read a fat autistic englishman talk about how orientally despotic the Byzantine Empire was, so it's good.

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Disinterested posted:

As a literary accomplishment and as a way of understanding future works on the fall of Rome, all of which are in some way responding to Gibbon.

yeah. realise every work of history is putting out an argument and is not necessarily true or right and will get argued against and for until new discoveries are made or a cultural viewpoints shift.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I wouldn't call it a novel, but I've been reading Forbidden City, USA. Its largely a bunch of interviews with acts and dancers in Chinese nightclub from 1930s onwards. Its really compelling with a lot of the interviews talking about why they got into the business or the trouble getting customers. One of the best stories is about a guy who quit doing shows because he would get drunk and cheat on his wife, finally calling it quits to try and improve his family life. Worth a look.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

fantasy zone posted:

yeah. realise every work of history is putting out an argument and is not necessarily true or right and will get argued against and for until new discoveries are made or a cultural viewpoints shift.

Pretty much every history since Gibbon has be having an argument with him.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Thanks for your replies, goons.

sbaldrick posted:

Pretty much every history since Gibbon has be having an argument with him.

Now I feel like I've missed out by not having read this sooner.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

FingersMaloy posted:

Thanks for your replies, goons.

Now I feel like I've missed out by not having read this sooner.

Are you going to try the full six volumes or the abridged version?

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.

Minenfeld! posted:

Are you going to try the full six volumes or the abridged version?

The last time I read an abridged version (Democracy in America) I really regretted it.

Looks like the Penguin Classics six vol set is about 1300 pages. That will honestly take me 2 or 3 years to complete, maybe more, because I'll probably read something else in between volumes.

Thanks again!

Edit: haha looks like the first volume is 1200 pages. Guess I'm committing to the long haul

FingersMaloy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 25, 2016

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Quote is not edit

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

FingersMaloy posted:

The last time I read an abridged version (Democracy in America) I really regretted it.

Looks like the Penguin Classics six vol set is about 1300 pages. That will honestly take me 2 or 3 years to complete, maybe more, because I'll probably read something else in between volumes.

Thanks again!

Edit: haha looks like the first volume is 1200 pages. Guess I'm committing to the long haul

My Allen Lane set from the 90s is only around 3300 pages, with two books per volume. From what I can find, I believe the current Penguin printing is a reprint of this edition.

C.M. Kruger fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 27, 2016

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm writing a paper on ISIS for an international relations class. Is there any books I should in particular I should use for a source?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

free basket of chips posted:

I'm writing a paper on ISIS for an international relations class. Is there any books I should in particular I should use for a source?

ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror is generally regarded as the best ISIS-related book

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

free basket of chips posted:

Don't use a book as a source for this not joking here go and research some papers and studies from foreign relation councils/ant terrorism think groups. You can usually find them easily enough on your own and im assuming your college has access to scholar paper websites things (can't remember what they are called rn but you know what i mean)

any book out there about isis is going to be poorly researched and well immensely lacking and dumbed down to make a quick buck off a conference populace

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

fantasy zone posted:

Don't use a book as a source for this not joking here go and research some papers and studies from foreign relation councils/ant terrorism think groups. You can usually find them easily enough on your own and im assuming your college has access to scholar paper websites things (can't remember what they are called rn but you know what i mean)

any book out there about isis is going to be poorly researched and well immensely lacking and dumbed down to make a quick buck off a conference populace

Seconding this advice specifically. Also in general (and this is something I wish I had received as feedback the first time I turned in a college paper citing a book) you should try to find material to cite that is specific, high quality, and timely (which has different criteria for, say, ISIS as opposed to geometric algebra). Very rarely is a book going to hit all three criteria, and if it does you are only going to know it by engaging with the current scholarly field. It may be hard at first but it will improve your academic writing a lot.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Any goonpinion on David Fischer's Albion's seed or Fischer in general?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Kuiperdolin posted:

resounding eh for albion's seed. it's very very clever but it got something of a mixed reception from scholars at the time of its publication and has not fared over well since, critically

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Kuiperdolin posted:

It failed to hold my attention despite having it checked out of the library for something like 6 months.

In more recent timeframes I finally got around to reading Command and Control, which I'm sure has been mentioned in the thread. Holy crap, could not stop reading until I finished it at 4 AM.

Currently reading the drier but equally gobsmacking One Nation Under God: How Corporate America Invented Christian America by Kevin Kruse, which is about the huge success that opposition to the New Deal found when it wrapped itself in religion and funded the hell out of it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

K thanks guys.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Has anybody read River of Dark Dreams: Slavery and Empire in the Cotton Kingdom by Walter Johnson? I just started it but thus far I'm really impressed with the crisp writing and analysis.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Found out my local secondhand bookstore has a bunch of Robert K. Massie books, what's the general opinion about him around here?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

vyelkin posted:

Found out my local secondhand bookstore has a bunch of Robert K. Massie books, what's the general opinion about him around here?

I've enjoyed his books. I believe he has a good reputation for pop history.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

They're pretty solid. His Peter the Great bio is one of my favorites, and castles of steel is a classic too

smr
Dec 18, 2002

vyelkin posted:

Pretty high; I've read a couple of his. They're pretty big investments in terms of time, and I really hope you like the minutiae of how various members of the minor aristocracy relate to one another, but I still recommend them, particularly Dreadnaught and Castle of Steel, and the one on Peter the Great.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

GalacticAcid posted:

Has anybody read River of Dark Dreams: Slavery and Empire in the Cotton Kingdom by Walter Johnson? I just started it but thus far I'm really impressed with the crisp writing and analysis.

I'm reading it right now for a seminar.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I asked this ages ago and didn't get any responses so I'd like to try again. Does anyone have any recommendations for something on pre-Colonial Africa. I'm specifically interested in West Africa (both the large Sahel empires and the smaller forest kingdoms) and the Somali and Swahili areas of the Indian Ocean coast but realistically I'll take anything. I've read a bit about colonial and post-colonial Africa and I'm really interested in finding out more about the cultures as they were before they were colonized.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

stereobreadsticks posted:

I asked this ages ago and didn't get any responses so I'd like to try again. Does anyone have any recommendations for something on pre-Colonial Africa. I'm specifically interested in West Africa (both the large Sahel empires and the smaller forest kingdoms) and the Somali and Swahili areas of the Indian Ocean coast but realistically I'll take anything. I've read a bit about colonial and post-colonial Africa and I'm really interested in finding out more about the cultures as they were before they were colonized.

I found a reading list (this is something I've been looking into as well) https://history.wisc.edu/prelim_precolonialafrica_pierce.pdf

Books I've read about the colonial era that went into quite a lot of detail about West African cultures:
The Diligent, by Robert Harms
Atlantic Africa and the Spanish Caribbean, 1570-1640, David Wheat
Domingos Alvares, African Healing, and the Intellectual History of the Atlantic World by James H. Sweet

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

FingersMaloy posted:

I would absolutely recommend it. As other's have said, he set the bar for further scholarship and arguments about Rome's decline. I might be crazy, but I absolutely love Gibbon's writing style, old as it is. It's somehow crisp and to the point while being enormously descriptive.
It's also an incredible accomplishment- I read the unabridged version over a year and the amount of random details scattered throughout is incredible.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Kuiperdolin posted:

good summary

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/04/27/book-review-albions-seed/

quote:

I don’t know. But I highly recommend Albion’s Seed as an entertaining and enlightening work of historical scholarship which will be absolutely delightful if you don’t fret too much over all of the existential questions it raises.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

nikitakhrushchev posted:

I found a reading list (this is something I've been looking into as well) https://history.wisc.edu/prelim_precolonialafrica_pierce.pdf

Books I've read about the colonial era that went into quite a lot of detail about West African cultures:
The Diligent, by Robert Harms
Atlantic Africa and the Spanish Caribbean, 1570-1640, David Wheat
Domingos Alvares, African Healing, and the Intellectual History of the Atlantic World by James H. Sweet

Thank you for this, I'm going to be picking a lot of these up when I'm back in the States in a few months. Still hoping for something about the Indian Ocean coast, the development of trade with the Arab world and India is really interesting to me.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.

clean ayers act posted:

I would absolutely recommend it. As other's have said, he set the bar for further scholarship and arguments about Rome's decline. I might be crazy, but I absolutely love Gibbon's writing style, old as it is. It's somehow crisp and to the point while being enormously descriptive.
It's also an incredible accomplishment- I read the unabridged version over a year and the amount of random details scattered throughout is incredible.

I've already started Volume 1. The intro was really good and connected Gibbon's thought to a lot of his nonhistorian contemporaries, a lot of whom, I've read so I'm excited to work through it.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
On the subject of the Indian Ocean coast of Africa, I'm thinking about picking up https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Swahili...s=swahili+coast and https://www.amazon.com/Modern-History-Somali-Eastern-African/dp/082141495X/ref=la_B001HCVRBG_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1477971744&sr=1-1

Anyone ever read them?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What are your guy's favorite history audiobooks? It can be about anything. I don't mind listening to something completely niche as long as it's presented well.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
An obvious answer, but you might enjoy Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The history audiobook I've probably listened to more than any other is A Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA by Tim Weiner (narrated by Stefan Rudnicki). It's a pretty in depth history of the CIA from its foundation after WWII to the mid 2000s. Lots of the materials in it were only declassified in the early 2000s, and the sections dealing with CIA-backed coups in the '50s are especially detailed. It also contains (as far as I know) one of the most accurate transcripts of recordings from the Oval Office during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The history audiobook I've probably listened to more than any other is A Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA by Tim Weiner
I endorse this book, and would be interested in a followup since everything we've learned since makes them look worse.

Here's what seems to be the CIA's postion:
https://www.cia.gov/library/center-...ory-of-cia.html

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah it's actually that review that put tje thing on my radar. But I wasn't really convinced.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

Yeah it's actually that review that put tje thing on my radar. But I wasn't really convinced.

I read through the book at a crazy fast pace. You can tell the author enjoys the material, and it's filled with all sorts of cultural or social stuff you tend not to find in other histories, or at least the histories I tend to read. The writing's great, and most of it seems to ring true. In the same vein, I also enjoy Page Smith's huge multi volume history of America because both books spend a great deal of time dealing with people, rather than a few individuals or the same old rehash of events, and deals with what the people ate, read, how they danced, why, customs, names of towns and their meanings, thought patterns, naming conventions, etc., I found it all pretty fascinating.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Anyone know some good books on the Inquisitions of the Catholic Church? Are Henry C. Lea's three volumes worth the read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

InevitableCheese posted:

Anyone know some good books on the Inquisitions of the Catholic Church? Are Henry C. Lea's three volumes worth the read?

It's not pop history at all but my attitude is: start medieval so you get the right context. Hamilton's The medieval inquisition is the classic scholarly text but it's kind of hard to get without a good library. Same for The formation of a persecuting society by Moore. Repression of Heresy in Medieval Germany is an extremely good German case study and seems to be available cheaply used; it's also quite short.