Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Is Case 5 so long because of this dumb fingerprinting section?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The stickers.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

IceBorg posted:

Actually the fact that he isn't is what makes the final case of that game even better.

Like you can totally see him being the final villain but he isn't, heck even the case 5 victim is totally a character that normally would be the final boss of the game because he's really similar to Alba in a way.

The whole thing just makes the whole game even better in my opinion.

There were about 5 different people who could have been the final boss in that game.

SPOILERS FOR AAI2:

I suspected Dogan, Roland and maybe Knightly faking his own death at one point. I did like Simon being the mastermind but the way it dragged out fell a little flat. Not only was the justification of "I didn't specifically tell them to kill each other" not really stand up, but the first thing that should have been mentioned in that conversation should have been that De Killer wants him dead and is very close to figuring out Simon's identity. The reveal was excellent and made a fair amount of sense but the actual confrontation was a bit meh.

Still probably my favourite game of the series, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Wyvernil posted:

Also, it's interesting how it feels like they weaved in elements from previous final cases in the series for this case. You've got the final prosecutor being the true culprit, and manipulating the main prosecutor into taking the fall for it (AA1). And you've got the culprits attempting to manipulate Phoenix by taking Maya hostage (AA2). And finally, you've got one of the key players in the case being a loving ghost (AA3).

Also the Queens were basically Morgan and Misty dialed up to 11

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Terper posted:

The stickers.
I was thinking about those but the game seemed to be suggesting that the case would be opened by the owner.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Dammit I need to play AAI2. I feel like I'm missing a piece of the overall storyline (even though nothing in DD or SoJ seems to reference it).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You do need to

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

I really really liked this game but I wish Edgeworth was a character and not just a plot convenience.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I just checked my play time for AA6, and I clocked at 51 hours. I think I did DD in 36. long game for sure, but every hour is excellent

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Dongicus posted:

I really really liked this game but I wish Edgeworth was a character and not just a plot convenience.

He's pretty much the same as Pearl in AA5, where they shoved him in for the sake of a cameo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Alright, I finally started up against and just finished the Case 5, Trial - Day 1.

Having a civil case instead of a murder one was weird. And Paul, Matt Engarde called. He wants his plan back.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Dammit I need to play AAI2. I feel like I'm missing a piece of the overall storyline (even though nothing in DD or SoJ seems to reference it).

I wouldn't say that. It might not be directly referenced but you can tell the same team worked on it and Dual Destinies because it adds a ton to the lore that is quietly referenced between the two games. Absolutely worth it and vital to the overall timeline in my eyes.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Dongicus posted:

The game's already pretty dense as is, what with the new characters to develop and Apollo's arc (and hell, even finding a lot of time to really flesh out and develop Ema). and Edgeworth's issues are pretty much resolved at this point. He's Chief Prosecutor, he's on pretty good terms with Phoenix, and if we consider the Investigations games canon, he's resolved most of his angst about the role of a prosecutor. Having him as a friendly supporting character makes the most sense at this point. I'd love it if he stepped in as prosecutor for one case next game, though, preferably going up against Athena, because it would be a really cool opportunity for her to prove herself against a prosecutor that plays fair and isn't trying to actively mindgame her like Blackquill and Nahyuta. Although, maybe the best thing for Athena would be for her to have a prosecutor rival that's not an overt dick. Like Klavier, but with a more interesting gimmick. Like possibly being a law classmate of Athena's from Europe.

EDIT: also, BRING BACK FRANZY!
I liked her a lot in the Investigations games, as an international prosecutor working for Interpol. Bringing her back in that capacity would be cool.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

um athena's prosecutor rival will be robin newman, thanks

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

voltcatfish posted:

um athena's prosecutor rival will be robin newman, thanks

I want to see Juniper Woods in a judge role for one case

edit: at least

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Blackquill isn't a dick. :colbert:

Well, not all the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Blackquill isn't a dick. :colbert:

Well, not all the time.

Blackquill is absolutely a dick but a fun dick.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Tir McDohl posted:

I want to see Juniper Woods in a judge role for one case

edit: at least

We still haven't had a case where the Judge is a defendant, come to think of it.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Regalingualius posted:

We still haven't had a case where the Judge is a defendant, come to think of it.

At least he got to achieve one of his dreams and become a witness in Investigations!

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Regalingualius posted:

Let's face facts. They'd probably force him to still be the presiding judge for his own murder trial.

"I don't know, Mr. Wright. The prosecution certainly drives a convincing point. Maybe I AM the killer..."

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

TheLoser posted:

Let's face facts. They'd probably force him to still be the presiding judge for his own murder trial.

"I don't know, Mr. Wright. The prosecution certainly drives a convincing point. Maybe I AM the killer..."

To be honest, this would work really well for a game's first case. It would be absolutely hilarious, short enough to not run the joke into the ground, and not necessarily have to be much related to the plot of the rest of the game.

Then again, perhaps I'm just eager to see what the judge would say when he had to give his name and occupation.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

At the halfway point of Case 5.

Okay, so even back when attorneys were allowed in Khura'in, Dhurke worked out of the sewer? And I thought Japanifornia was terrible to its attorneys.

Also, I had it spoiled for me that Ga'ran is the final case's prosecutor and enacts the DC Act against Apollo and all of his friends. Kinda wish I had gotten to see that for myself, but overexcited friends talking about it and all. :(

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

At the halfway point of Case 5.

Okay, so even back when attorneys were allowed in Khura'in, Dhurke worked out of the sewer? And I thought Japanifornia was terrible to its attorneys.

The entrance was boarded up, so they had to go in another way. Why the building is directly connected to the sewer is still a mystery though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Momomo posted:

The entrance was boarded up, so they had to go in another way. Why the building is directly connected to the sewer is still a mystery though.

Technically, all buildings are directly connected to the sewer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Momomo posted:

Lawyers are reviled, disgusting creatures and no-one would want to be seen entering the office of one.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
So I'm picking up the Ace Attorney anime after not watching it for awhile and holy crap. The Big Top Circus case was handled *way* better here.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

TheLoser posted:

It would be the Judge's Canadian brother.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"We now begin the trial of Judge.....Man, they made a really bad copy of this court record, I can't read the name."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"Witness, state your name and occuption."

"My name is *sudden loud noises from fire alarm drill*, and I work as a judge."

"Sorry, could you repeat that?"

"I said my name was *Phoenix's phone goes off*, and I'm a judge."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Judge,_Baron_Judge

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'd imagine his name would be "Your Honor" or some variation of that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Y. Horace Judge

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Blackquill is absolutely a dick but a fun dick.

Much better than Nahyuta.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Clearly his name is Joseph Udge :colbert:. Why do you think Damon Gant called him "Udgey"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nftyw posted:

Much better than Nahyuta.

Yeah, Nahyuta is one of my least favorite prosecutors. He's just so... static and doesn't have any particularly fun gimmicks.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
C'mon, everybody knows the judge's real name is Drew Process.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nahyuta being forced to be evil is super lame because it doesn't explain at all why he also flies out to california just to be as hostile as possible to you

like i don't think he's a nice guy being blackmailed, he's kind of an rear end no matter what the circumstances are. and not even a fun one

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Nahyuta's deal is supposed to be something like he's just been under Ga'ran's thumb and resigned to his fate for so long that he legitimately believes everyone would be better off if they give up and accept their fate rather than fight it or whatever. Which is why he's such a condescending prick in court.

Whatever explanation they give for it doesn't matter though because it wouldn't change him from being real drat boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Am I the only one a bit weird out from [Case 5 - Day 1] Archie Buff having a child at 52? I was expecting Armie Buff to be some 40 year old goony neckbeard obsessed with Call of Duty. When I saw a crippled 12 year old girl I got really sad as before I was kind of laughing at the character in the attack helicopter :(