Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Some dude's been jacking off on your window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I too like to stand at the window and jack off.

Edit: it's me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

It says basically all of the companies are "under administration" (aka bankrupt) - is this a standard tactic like in the USA where a shell corp with no assets owns all of the liability but owes shell corp construction services corp a mountain of "debt" for building the high rise? The owers sue the shell corp, it goes bankrupt, and that's it despite the builder walking away with a mountain of profit?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There how it's supposed to be built. The drain on the right is the main drain. There's a hole hidden behind that wide part of the spout. The left drain is slightly elevated higher than the right drain. If there main drain gets backed up with debris, the left drain is the overflow.

It's purposefully built without the spout so that you can easily tell that water is shooting out and that something is hosed up on the roof and needs to be fixed.

They're required on every commercial building around where I am.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Because water weight roof collapses are bad.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I love how water will seek out the lowest point on a flat roof and summon all its friends to join it there till something fails or it finds something lower.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I love how water will seek out the lowest point on a flat roof and summon all its friends to join it there till something fails or it finds something lower.

I, too, love gravity.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
More specifically, water is a dynamic load. Better?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Terrible Robot posted:

I, too, love gravity.

Otherwise, the only thing keeping your bike from being stolen is about 12 slug of additional inertia.

Content-wise, the roof at my job is apparently at the low point. Last time it rained really hard, enough water found its way in to drain into a cabinet full of avionics. This caused the boss to finally complain loudly enough to the building maintenance guys that they went to fix it.

"we installed something up there that should keep the water out."
"Like a roof?"
"..."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

"we installed something up there that should keep the water out."
"Like a roof?"
"..."

More likely a piece of tin smeared with tar. That should work for a few weeks.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Motronic posted:

More likely a piece of tin smeared with tar. That should work for a few weeks.

More than likely just a cofferdam of sandbags and a tarp.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

H110Hawk posted:

It says basically all of the companies are "under administration" (aka bankrupt) - is this a standard tactic like in the USA where a shell corp with no assets owns all of the liability but owes shell corp construction services corp a mountain of "debt" for building the high rise? The owers sue the shell corp, it goes bankrupt, and that's it despite the builder walking away with a mountain of profit?

That's pretty much capitalism, yes.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

thespaceinvader posted:

That's pretty much capitalism, yes.

Well, if you can prove that they did it on purpose (like, it was the same guy who owned both companies...) then that is fraud and they go to prison. And when you declare bankruptcy, the court does look.

Doesn't help your lovely apartment keep water out though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
:woop: NEW MCMANSION HELL IS UP. :woop:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I hope that window isn't supposed to be a fire escape. :ohdear:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

kid sinister posted:

I hope that window isn't supposed to be a fire escape. :ohdear:

Considering it's from a high rise, I totally agree

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This house looks like it's screaming in horror at itself.

also what the hell

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

It's like those aerial shots of Disney World where you can see that everything is just a facade in front of a plain white warehouse.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Twinkie Czar posted:

It's like those aerial shots of Disney World where you can see that everything is just a facade in front of a plain white warehouse.

The castle at Disneyworld is filled with a call center and row after row of IT consultants.

Same thing with every building in Hollywood Adventure.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

The castle at Disneyworld is filled with a call center and row after row of IT consultants.

I didn't know it was large enough to contain the sub-continent of India.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

This one was good, but a lot in the link are hilarious pedantic Architectural autism. Funny in its own way!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I didn't know it was large enough to contain the sub-continent of India.

I guess it's a small world after all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Darth123123 posted:

This one was good, but a lot in the link are hilarious pedantic Architectural autism. Funny in its own way!

Yeah I just look at the pictures all the rest is poo poo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Darth123123 posted:

I can’t argue with the results. The pictured structures are, without exception, abyssal tier.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Platystemon posted:

I can’t argue with the results. The pictured structures are, without exception, abyssal tier.

http://66.media.tumblr.com/911fd26009b5d811f844697ca282f887/tumblr_inline_oe2mit4dz31sppt0x_1280.png

I'd hate to live here what with no architectural horizontal symmetry. It has stick on windows too. Dude really hates windows that aren't flush mount, like a lot.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Darth123123 posted:

This would be more of a problem if the subject weren't mcmansions which do a great job of showing how all that little poo poo can add up to make a butt-ugly house.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I don't get that stick-on thing. Are they saying that windows should never have any trim or framing around them? Just a glass continuation of the wall surface?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, I don't get that stick-on thing. Are they saying that windows should never have any trim or framing around them? Just a glass continuation of the wall surface?

The criticism is specifically that the headers are on top of the wall rather than being embedded in it.

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/post/149622740651/mcmansions-101-windows posted:

Headers are supposed to be part of the structure of the window/wall because before the days of decorative veneers that hide their ugliness, they were literally the only thing keeping the weight of the heavy-rear end wall from crushing the living hell out of the cute little glass and wood thing.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 26, 2016

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

there wolf posted:

This would be more of a problem if the subject weren't mcmansions which do a great job of showing how all that little poo poo can add up to make a butt-ugly house.

Exactly. It all reads like gibberish spat out by a Markov chain until you actually think about what she's saying, and get used to the terminology and concepts. She's not just making poo poo up; she's actually deconstructing exactly what makes these houses garbage, just with an attention to detail most people don't have.

Yeah, for the most part none of what she criticizes by itself ruins the house, but that's missing the point.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Platystemon posted:

The criticism is specifically that the headers are on top of the wall rather than being embedded in it.

I guess I couldn't discern that from the pics, but of course, that's what they are for.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The picture with the tower with dormers splayed out like parapets is crazy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I actually thought that that house was one of the less bad ones, but then I looked at the interior. There are a bunch more photos in that link. The descriptions are good reading and the bird’s eye view of the roofline is horrifying.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 26, 2016

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

I actually thought that that house was one of the less bad ones, but then I looked at the interior (the descriptions and the oblique view on Bing are also horrifying).

In all fairness, that study is okay, they just have a bad choice/layout of furniture there. But then that Venice canal in the family room...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

In all fairness, that study is okay, they just have a bad choice/layout of furniture there. But then that Venice canal in the family room...

I don’t know enough about wood panelling to know if it’s not done well or if I just don’t like that particular style. I suspect the former given it was designed & built by the same people as the rest of the house, but I digress.

I think even fans of that panelling would admit it clashes with the rest of the interior.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Platystemon posted:

I actually thought that that house was one of the less bad ones, but then I looked at the interior (the descriptions are good reading and the bird’s eye view of the roofline is horrifying).

Fifty Shades of Beige

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Strategically placed ottoman to trip over the railings.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
McMansion Hell is currently the best thing on the internet. :colbert:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

nm posted:

McMansion Hell is currently the best thing on the internet. :colbert:

:yeah:

I always wonder what goes through the mind of "decorators" that do this poo poo.

"Come join me for a sit in the lofted walkway."

"what are we going to to do there?"

"Just sit there, look at each other, glance up at our false sky, and lift our feet up every time someone has to go to the other end"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

I always wonder what goes through the mind of "decorators" that do this poo poo.

"Come join me for a sit in the lofted walkway."

"what are we going to to do there?"

"Smoke a bowl"

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I've smoked bowls in flood tunnels and lovely cars in parking structures, and have had a great time; this does not mean I'm going to make a fetid-water-on-concrete room, nor a dog-hair-covered-PT-Cruiser room.