Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

that'd be la bravoura. the places you haven't been are marked on the world map.

also, there is a healslime heart in a chest there.

Okay, makes me feel better that it is just someplace I haven't opened yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Okay, makes me feel better that it is just someplace I haven't opened yet.

no, the island pops up after you save alltrades

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

For someone who hasn't played vii what do tablets do? I don't remember them in the ps1 version but that was a hundred years ago and I never finished it.

They're the fragments of the forgotten past. :v: You find all the pieces and go to new places, then find ones in those places before/after saving their island from bad things to go to more.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Unexpected back-to-back bossfights are very rude.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Ojetor posted:

Ability bloat sure is a thing on my Gladiator. Like 3 pages of Offensive attacks that are all a variation of "hit hard". I wish they were a bit more transparent about what all the skills actually do. I mean, what is even the difference between Pressure Pointer, Flying Knee and Knuckle Sandwich?

I agree. The actual effects of each ability are extremely vague. I've just been looking them up on the Dragon Quest wiki. Most abilities share the same effects from DQVI to DQVII so between both games they're pretty much all on the wiki.

http://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Main_Page

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Your Computer posted:

So, thread; what do you consider to be the best starting point in the series? I love JRPGs (I'm the type who inspects every box, jar and crate and talks to every NPC 5 times. I also unironically enjoy backtracking) even if/because it takes ages to complete them. I also love job systems/character customization.

I would say either 4 or 5. 5 is generally the better game but 4 has a really cool framing technique that puts it over the top for me personally. I love games that are segmented into small chunks (which is probably why I'm loving 7 so much again)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wish there was a list of monster class skills somewhere. like okay, extra grinding to get permanent skills is a perfectly fine concept, but doing all that grinding without knowing what the heck i'm even grinding for?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm pretty sure a PS1 guide should be the same as far as monster classes go?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Someone needs to make a modern/translated version.

Guess it's up to me, the guy who has done nothing but monster classes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Harlock posted:

I'm pretty sure a PS1 guide should be the same as far as monster classes go?

it is the same as far as the class tree goes. but for skills, almost everything has a different name and i've already found differences in the human class skills. for example, since hybrid skills were removed i've found a few that were integrated in the normal class skill list, and others i haven't been able to find at all yet.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Serious Frolicking posted:

i wish there was a list of monster class skills somewhere. like okay, extra grinding to get permanent skills is a perfectly fine concept, but doing all that grinding without knowing what the heck i'm even grinding for?

If you don't mind using Google Translate (or can read Japanese), this may come in handy. That said, it uses the Japanese names for the spells, so if you don't know them there's still a bit of guessing or lookup, but you can at least see what they share with human classes and where.

Additionally, here is a list of skills and spells that can only be learned permanently by monster classes, or can't be at all:

Spells:
code:
Kafrizzle - learned by Armamentalist, Sage, Summoner, and Hero; must be learned from Dark Bishop in order to carry over
Kasizzle - learned by Armamentalist, Sage, Summoner, and Hero; must be learned from Dark Bishop or Rainbow Peacock in order to carry over
Kaboom - learned by Sage and Summoner; must be learned from Hell Battler or Dark Bishop in order to carry over
Kaswoosh - learned by Sage, Pirate, Paladin, Summoner, and Hero; must be learned from Geryuon in order to carry over
Maelstrom - learned by Pirate, Summoner, and Hero; never able to be carried over
Kacrackle - learned by Sage and Summoner; must be learned from Bone Baron or Dark Bishop in order to carry over
Zap - learned by Armamentalist and Hero; must be learned from Cosmo Phantom or Death Machine in order to carry over
Kazap - learned by Hero; must be learned from Giga Mutant in order to carry over
Kazapple - learned by Hero; never able to be carried over
Coral Rain - learned by Pirate; never able to be carried over
Thwack - learned by Sage; must be learned from Mimic in order to carry over
Kathwack - learned by Sage and Summoner; must be learned from Bone Baron or Dark Bishop in order to carry over
Kamikazee - learned by Pirate, Godhand, and Hero; must be learned from Bomboulder in order to carry over
Multiheal - learned by Sage, Paladin, Godhand, and Hero; must be learned from Healslime, Hell Battler, or Platinum King Jewel in order to carry over
Omniheal - learned by Hero; must be learned from Platinum King Jewel in order to carry over
Kazing - learned by Sage, Paladin, Godhand, Summoner, and Hero; must be learned from Dark Bishop or Platinum King Jewel in order to carry over
Kerplunk - learned by Paladin and Godhand; never able to be carried over
Bazoom - learned by Armamentalist and Hero; never able to be carried over
Kasnooze - learned by Armamentalist, Sage, Summoner, and Hero; must be learned from Rose Battler in order to be carried over
Kasap - learned by Monster Tamer, Paladin, Godhand, and Hero; must be learned from Lizardman, Evil Estark, or Death Machine in order to be carried over
Drain Magic - learned by Sage, Godhand, and Summoner; never able to be carried over
Oomph - learned by Armamentalist, Sage, Pirate, Paladin, Godhand, Summoner, and Hero; must be learned from Evil Turtle, Lizardman, Majin Budu, or Death Machine in order to carry over
Kabuff - learned by Armamentalist, Sage, Monster Tamer, Godhand, and Hero; must be learned from Evil Turtle or Bomboulder in order to carry over
Bounce - learned by Armamentalist and Hero; must be learned from Cosmo Phantom in order to carry over
Magic Barrier - learned by Sage, Monster Tamer, Paladin, Godhand, Summoner, and Hero; must be learned from Protokiller in order to carry over
Insulatle - learned by Armamentalist, Sage, Monster Tamer, Summoner, and Hero; must be learned from Majin Budu or Rose Battler in order to carry over
Kaclang - learned by Luminary, Summoner, and Hero; must be learned from Dragonslime or Platinum King Jewel in order to carry over
Puff - learned by Monster Tamer and Hero; must be learned from Dragonslime in order to carry over
Skills:
code:
Flame Slash - learned by Armamentalist and Hero (also learned naturally by Kiefer and Aira, so they always have it no matter what); must be learned from Berserker or Evil Estark in order to carry over
Lightning Slash - learned by Armamentalist and Hero, never able to be carried over
Gust Slash - learned by Gladiator and Godhand (also learned naturally by Kiefer, so he always has it no matter what); must be learned from Berserker or Dumbira Mucho in order to carry over
Kacrackle Slash - learned by Armamentalist and Hero; must be learned from Evil Estark in order to carry over
Multislice - learned by Gladiator and Godhand; must be learned from Lizardman, Berserker, or Death Machine in order to carry over
Undead Undoer - learned by Gladiator and Godhand (also learned naturally by Kiefer, so he always has it no matter what); never able to be carried over
Metal Slash - learned by Gladiator, Godhand, and Hero; must be learned from Protokiller, Evil Estark, or Death Machine in order to carry over
Poison Dagger - learned by Gladiator and Godhand; never able to be carried over
Helm Splitter - learned by Gladiator and Godhand never able to be carried over
Miracle Sword - learned by Armamentalist and Hero; never able to be carried over
Harvest Moon - learned by Luminary and Summoner; must be learned from Evil Turtle,Cosmo Phantom, Flying Devil, or Death Machine in order to carry over
Double Up - learned by Paladin and Godhand; never able to be carried over
Double-Edged Slash - learned by Gladiator and Godhand; must be learned from Dumbira Mucho in order to carry over
Falcon Slash - learned by Gladiator and Godhand; must be learned from Flying Devil or Death Machine to in order to carry over
Sword Dance - learned by Pirate and Hero; never able to be carried over
Multifists - learned by Gladiator and Godhand; must be learned from Protokiller in order to carry over
Big Banga - learned by Summoner and Hero; must be learned from Platinum King Jewel in order to carry over
Hurricane - learned by Pirate; never able to be carried over
Quake - learned by Paladin; must be learned from Golem in order to carry over
Pearly Gates - learned by Paladin and Godhand; must be learned from Dark Bishop in order to carry over
Thin Air - learned by Pirate, Paladin, Godhand, and Hero; must be learned from Flying Devil in order to carry over
Lightning Storm - learned by Summoner; must be learned from Death Machine in order to carry over
Gigaslash - learned by Godhand and Hero; must be learned from Evil Estark in order to carry over
Fire Breath - learned by Monster Tamer; must be learned from Chimera, Andreal, or Dragonslime in order to carry over
Flame Breath - learned by Monster Tamer; must be learned from Chimera, Andreal, or Dragonslime in order to carry over
Blazing Fire - learned by Monster Tamer; must be learned from Andreal, Gyaos, or Rainbow Peacock in order to carry over
Scorching Flames - learned by Monster Tamer and Hero; must be learned from Majin Budu or Rainbow Peacock in order to carry over
Hellfire - learned by Summoner; must be learned from Rainbow Peacock in order to carry over
Pyre o' Fire - learned by Luminary and Summoner; never able to be carried over
Magma Burst - learned by Summoner; must be learned from Well Devil in order to carry over
Cool Breath - learned by Monster Tamer; must be learned from Dragonslime in order to carry over
Chilly Breath - learned by Monster Tamer; must be learned from Andreal, Gyaos, or Dragonslime in order to carry over
Boulder Toss - learned by Godhand; must be learned from Golem in order to carry over
Ultima Sword (called Ultra Hit in PSX Version; unsure if this actually has an official post DQ4 DS name at this point or not) - learned by Godhand; never able to be carried over
Meidou Fuuma (No idea what this is likely to end up as in the new translation; the old one just went with a super lazy half translation of Tremor for reference) - learned by Summoner; never able to be carried over
Meditation - learned by Summoner; must be learned from Bomboulder in order to carry over
Hustle Dance - learned by Luminary and Summoner; never able to be carried over
Kerplunk Dance - learned by Luminary and Summoner, never able to be carried over
Song of Salvation - learned by Luminary (also learned naturally by Aira, so she always has it no matter what), never able to be carried over
Mental Concentration (unsure if this actually has an official English name at this point or not) - learned by Luminary and Summoner; never able to be carried over
Sweet Breath - learned by Monster Tamer; must be learned from Florajay, Lips, or Mimic in order to carry over
Burning Breath - learned by Monster Tamer; must be learned from Bone Baron or Rose Battler in order to carry over
Poison Breath - learned by Monster Tamer; must be learned from Rotting Corpse in order to carry over
Venom Breath - learned by Monster Tamer; must be learned from Rose Battler or Giga Mutant in order to carry over
Dazzleflash - learned by Luminary; must be learned from Goodybag, Thunder Rat, or Cosmo Phantom in order to carry over
Cursed Song - learned by Luminary and Summoner; must be learned from Rotting Corpse in order to carry over
Eerie Light - learned by Luminary; must be learned from Hell Battler or Rainbow Peacock in order to carry over
Drain Magic Dance - learned by Luminary (also learned naturally by Aira, so she always has it no matter what); never able to be carried over
Disruptive Wave - learned by Paladin, Summoner, and Hero; must be learned from Evil Estark in order to carry over
Battle Song (unsure if this actually has an official post DQ4 DS name at this point or not) - learned by Gladiator, Luminary and Summoner; never able to be carried over
Defending Champion - learned by Pirate; never able to be carried over
Backdraft - learned by Pirate and Hero; must be learned from Majin Budu or Rainbow Peacock in order to carry over
Noah's Ark (unsure if this actually has an official post DQ4 DS name at this point or not) - learned by Pirate; never able to be carried over
Selflessness - learned by Paladin and Godhand; never able to be carried over
Forebearance - learned by Paladin and Godhand (also learned naturally by Mervyn, so he always has it no matter what); must be learned from Golem in order to carry over
Monster Taming (unsure if this actually has an official post DQ4 DS name at this point or not) - learned by Monster Tamer; never able to be carried over
Summon - learned by Sage and Summoner; must be learned from Cursed Lamp in order to carry over
Genma Summon (unsure what this is likely to end up as in the new translation) - learned by Summoner; never able to be carried over
I didn't make this, but it's been accurate so far.

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 25, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
thanks, that's helpful. a quick check between the google translated list and the old ps1 faq made it very clear that the skill lists for some of the monster classes are quite different.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it looks like flying devil is a good intermediate goal that doesn't require any rare hearts.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm dedicated to making a perfect little spreadsheet for all the monsters now. Honestly doing work like this is kinda fun to me, so I don't mind. I'll try and note special skills that need monsters to be carried over from those lists, as well. Never realized that I have only barely delved into how deep this can go, haha.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The envoy is loving me up

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus, this game gives your old JRPG Bullshit muscles a workout. I was just stuck for 20 minutes because I went to Animal Town, talked to a few people, had Kiefer say "Hey, remember that guy that can talk to animals?", went all the way back to the Woodcutter, he didn't help, went back to Animal Town and apparently had missed a building with Ruff in it, triggering a cutscene, after which Kiefer said the exact same "Hey, remember that guy that can talk to animals?" speech, only at which point could I get the woodcutter to come with me and progress the quest.

Which I also got stuck on for 10 minutes because I had overlooked a backdoor to one of the houses. :suicide:

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

is there an in-game tracker of what monsters you've tamed? The book shows if they can be tamed, not if you already tamed one. Haven't fully unlocked monster meadows yet, wondering if it's going to force me to make my own checklist or something.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
How do I download new tablets? I have gotten the slime one, beat it, and turned my streetpass settings on.

I saw someone earlier in the thread say SE had sent out some new tablets... But how do I get them?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Overemotional Robot posted:

How do I download new tablets? I have gotten the slime one, beat it, and turned my streetpass settings on.

I saw someone earlier in the thread say SE had sent out some new tablets... But how do I get them?

After you meet a few monsters they build a bar and church.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Ah, so I have to find more reformed monsters like I found the slime guy? I don't want to miss out on the online stuff like I did with 9, so looks like I need to find a guide.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Overemotional Robot posted:

Ah, so I have to find more reformed monsters like I found the slime guy? I don't want to miss out on the online stuff like I did with 9, so looks like I need to find a guide.

You only need three to get to the bar.

The first three are the slime guy you already found, someone in the inn in Estard, and someone on the second floor of the big building in present-day Ballymolloy. That should be enough to unlock the Download Bar.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Prism posted:

You only need three to get to the bar.

The first three are the slime guy you already found, someone in the inn in Estard, and someone on the second floor of the big building in present-day Ballymolloy. That should be enough to unlock the Download Bar.

On that note, where's the fourth?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bongo Bill posted:

On that note, where's the fourth?

In the tavern/dancing area in the basement of modern Emberdale, IIRC.

There's generally one per city.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Your Computer posted:

So, thread; what do you consider to be the best starting point in the series? I love JRPGs (I'm the type who inspects every box, jar and crate and talks to every NPC 5 times. I also unironically enjoy backtracking) even if/because it takes ages to complete them. I also love job systems/character customization.

I'd say just start at the beginning. Emulate the GBC versions of 1-3 (the Android versions of the phone ports, at least, are flaming rear end); if 1 and 2 don't click with you, skip to 3, the first two are pretty primitive even in updated form and 3 is where the series really starts to become itself.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Generally the most recent villager you get will tell you where to find the next one, if you speak to them in the immigrant town.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

Generally the most recent villager you get will tell you where to find the next one, if you speak to them in the immigrant town.

Yeah, the immigrant told me they were in Emberdale, but they also said something about not being able to find them yet, so I'm wondering what's the trigger for them to appear.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, the immigrant told me they were in Emberdale, but they also said something about not being able to find them yet, so I'm wondering what's the trigger for them to appear.

Its just telling you they won't be there immediately, sometimes they wait for one or more islands to be cleared.

If you've done at least one island past Emberdale they'll be chilling on the second floor of the big building.

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
So I'm looking for a villager for the Haven. They said it's a sailor that used to be a pot and wanted to hide. I can't for the life of me find where that is, any help?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Moriveth posted:

So I'm looking for a villager for the Haven. They said it's a sailor that used to be a pot and wanted to hide. I can't for the life of me find where that is, any help?

Its in a desert village but he won't show up until you clear the next island too.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I don't know if anyone's nearly as far as me, but I'm trying to get past a certain terrifying face in a certain underground ruin. How would I do this?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Does anybody have a link to a monster class tree?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Alxprit posted:

I don't know if anyone's nearly as far as me, but I'm trying to get past a certain terrifying face in a certain underground ruin. How would I do this?

Patience. Just wait in front of it for like 10 seconds.

Mylan posted:

is there an in-game tracker of what monsters you've tamed? The book shows if they can be tamed, not if you already tamed one. Haven't fully unlocked monster meadows yet, wondering if it's going to force me to make my own checklist or something.

Little slime stamp next to whether it can be tamed, after you've tamed one.

Dr Pepper posted:

Does anybody have a link to a monster class tree?

Here's two guides from the PS version. The names are different, but should be pretty easy to figure out, or just google the wiki which should list both the new and old names:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197152-dragon-warrior-vii/faqs/44895

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197152-dragon-warrior-vii/faqs/24915

LostRook fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 25, 2016

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was just flipping through the DQVII guide for the PSX and I don't think that it would match up well with the 3DS port. As a sort of collector of DQ guides, I'm a little sad that the 3DS version didn't get its own. The GBC ports of 1&2 and 3 did, after all.

Also, despite VII being the longest game in the series, its strategy guide is the thinnest. Perhaps because so much of the game is grinding? :shrug:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'd say just start at the beginning. Emulate the GBC versions of 1-3 (the Android versions of the phone ports, at least, are flaming rear end); if 1 and 2 don't click with you, skip to 3, the first two are pretty primitive even in updated form and 3 is where the series really starts to become itself.

I will second this. I have an iPad and the iOS ports of the early DQ games are fine as far as I know, but 3 really is a good entrance to the series. I like 1, but it is nothing but grinding, and I think that 2NES is rear end. Go with 3. Introduced the class-swapping mechanic which is fun but simple and not required. You do want a sage, though... they are qualitatively superior to pilgrims and wizards.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Very little of the game's net length comes from grinding, though? Like even if you just play the game straight through it's very very long.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Is there a trick to getting monster hearts? I've never gotten a single one except for a slime heart from the card matching game and the healslime heart at Alltrades. Are they just really rare drops?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mountaineer posted:

Is there a trick to getting monster hearts? I've never gotten a single one except for a slime heart from the card matching game and the healslime heart at Alltrades. Are they just really rare drops?

They're super rare drops, but a lot of them are available in chests or through casinos.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The 3DS version is basically the same as the PSX version as far as a guide would care with a few differences: some of the fragments that you had to pick up are instead given by NPCs in the same area after completing their story, the fragments are on the ground instead of in chests, some areas and chests are locked that were unlocked in PSX and vice-versa, some of the items from the opening were moved to shop items later in the streamlining (I think I saw the pearl from the original opening in a shop), some mini-medal locations were altered (one where the pearl used to be, probably others), some of the plot flow was slightly streamlined, and some of the chests/looted items were moved to overworld chests or shifted around slightly. Like in the PSX version I think you could loot Greenthumb on the second past visit but in the 3DS version they either had moved some of the items to Wilted Heart or just took them out since they were basically just you looting twice what you had already looted in the pastier past.

Basically, you should be able to use a PSX guide just fine and only miss out on some treasure or mini-medals that you don't need to concern yourself with. As far as I know they didn't actually change the location/amount of missable mini-medals or items, even, so where it could actually matter the older guides should have your back.

I could see a DQVII guide being the thinnest not because most of the game is grinding--it's probably the easiest DQ and needs the least grinding, even on PSX--but because its dungeon design contains few relevant paths and the rest of it is exposition which in a guide is maybe a few sentences per area on how to progress it. It's not like a zelda game guide where you are traversing 100% of every dungeon. In DQ7 most of the bad paths are at best to give you a vantage on chests/good paths but in a guide you'd just skip those entirely.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I'm lost and I can't figure out where to go. I've just finished Hubble and Providence and I don't have a completed tablet to travel to...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

In Training posted:

I think I'm lost and I can't figure out where to go. I've just finished Hubble and Providence and I don't have a completed tablet to travel to...

Hit B, info and Next Tablet Fragment.

It gives a hint as to where all tablet fragments you can currently acquire are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the only one listed is the one you get for collecting mini medals, but all my available tablets have 2+ spots...