Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Chill la Chill posted:

The best part is when it thinks you're in NZ after already navigating to the page, so you correct it and it kicks you back to the homepage.

I think the best part is that they spent 4 million pounds on a website that can't even geolocate IPs correctly. Even lovely clickbait banner ads can do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New genestealer cult! Okay, let's take a look. Yup, 40 bucks for 5 guys that aren't much bigger than a human for a 12 point model. Great job.
Though you can buy the formation that requires 3 boxes of them for 120 dollar! It saves you from having to click more than once!

Unless they are TOTALLY going to change the stats of the Acolytes it is pretty obscene.

EDIT: I think it is probably because of when I got into Games Workshop, but any trooper box over 35 dollars just seems nuts to me.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 25, 2016

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

LordAba posted:

New genestealer cult! Okay, let's take a look. Yup, 40 bucks for 5 guys that aren't much bigger than a human for a 12 point model. Great job.
Though you can buy the formation that requires 3 boxes of them for 120 dollar! It saves you from having to click more than once!

Unless they are TOTALLY going to change the stats of the Acolytes it is pretty obscene.

EDIT: I think it is probably because of when I got into Games Workshop, but any trooper box over 35 dollars just seems nuts to me.

They've got a box of 10 cultists for 40 dollars and then a box of 5 slightly different looking (but same size) cultists also for 40 dollars right next to each other. It's completely baffling. Then I started noticing that all over their site: a box of 10 space marines is 43 dollars while a box of 5 space marines (assault marrines) is 41 dollars. Why are the 5 dudes the same price as the 10 dudes of the same size. Do human beings actually buy things off the GW website?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
It's because 1) they price based on sprue size/count and not based on number of guys, and 2) the Acolyte set ($40 for 5 guys) both has more options and less-efficient sprue layout than the Neophyte set ($40 for 10 guys). As always with GW products, the limiting factor is legs.

e: And the Acolyte set also makes Metamorphs, which is a great way of increasing the amount of waste parts (also known as "bitz" by people who are in way too deep), since you can't really make both from one kit.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 25, 2016

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's because 1) they price based on sprue size/count and not based on number of guys, and 2) the Acolyte set ($40 for 5 guys) both has more options and less-efficient sprue layout than the Neophyte set ($40 for 10 guys). As always with GW products, the limiting factor is legs.

This is bad for a couple reasons, as they could have easily packaged up the Acolyte set for 40 for 10 without losing much in the material cost (plastic is fairly cheap) and packaging (it would take less space to ship one box of ten than two boxes of five).

Thus the real reason is hubris.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, it's dumb, and plenty of model companies have shown that they can produce HIPS models with more/larger sprues that sell for less money, but GW's logic seems almost exclusively based on the total surface area of the molds they had to tool for the kit. It's why you have $30 kits for a single infantry-sized guy.

Presumably, they design their sprues based on how many of each guy you need for a functioning army, which is why for special troops there are always two kinds on the same sprue: it lets them recoup the cost for both more quickly/easily, even if one option turned out to be unpopular. If GW were a better company, this would be fine, but they're not, so they go about it in the stupidest way. Not that it matters, since people will still buy it in droves.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 25, 2016

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Hybrids are sought after. Yet somehow GW can make new ones cost more than my old ones just about.

And most of the old ones are metal and thus cooler in many ways. (The Tyranid Attack plastic ones not so much. They are Derpy as gently caress. Except without the charm of the Mk1 Space Hulk Termies who I love so much. But this was the same age as those dork rear end poofy sleeve plastic Marine Scouts. Not every old sculpt was cool. Now the late 2nd/early 3rd metal Scouts? FUKKEN BONERTOWN.)

GW is just dumb and it's sad.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Funny you mentioned the 3rd ed metal scouts. When GW made the newer plastic ones, they were so much worse that I was forced to step back and think, "Hmm, maybe GW isn't all that great." Not long after that is when I started pulling away from the game, although it took until Formations for me to finally give up entirely.

I looked at them again on the GW site and their stupid heads still make me mad.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

'Bitz' was cool when it meant that you bought something like the Falcon kit and wow, you get all these weapons to choose from and that means you could use any leftovers to switch up your support platforms, or whatever. Or you get 12 heads in a box for 10 guys, so you have some spare heads to use in conversions. That's neat! But when GW does stuff like package two different variations as a single box it means you get something like 20 extra skink right arms holding javelins, and no matter how enthusiastic you are about attaching them to other miniatures you are never going to run out and end up throwing out dozens of pieces that you paid for. Not so cool.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ashcans posted:

'Bitz' was cool when it meant that you bought something like the Falcon kit and wow, you get all these weapons to choose from and that means you could use any leftovers to switch up your support platforms, or whatever. Or you get 12 heads in a box for 10 guys, so you have some spare heads to use in conversions. That's neat! But when GW does stuff like package two different variations as a single box it means you get something like 20 extra skink right arms holding javelins, and no matter how enthusiastic you are about attaching them to other miniatures you are never going to run out and end up throwing out dozens of pieces that you paid for. Not so cool.

Yeah. You are effectively paying for 1.5 model kits when you can only make 1. If they designed these model sprus to be able to make multiple units, but then packaged them so that you could only make one and reduced the price accordingly it would be much better for the consumer. Effectively saying "we are saving on packaging costs then charging you a premium for it" is really assholish. With Privateer Press their multi-jack kits are fairly interchangeable if you use magnets for the limbs so you are actually potentially getting value. With a bunch of extra very specific parts that have no use you are getting mostly nothing.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 26, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I like what Mantic does. "Hmm, there's extra space on this spure so let's fill it with a dead elf."

But Mantic will also give you one sprue and then a little baggy with the other parts that were probably cut out of a sprue too large to fit in the box so you better hope their machine (or Pakistani child or whatever) counted the bits correctly.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 26, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I converted a now-former 40k player to an X-wing believer this past weekend.

Ojetor posted:

I think the best part is that they spent 4 million pounds on a website that can't even geolocate IPs correctly. Even lovely clickbait banner ads can do that.
Well I mean if we're gonna talk about the finance portion, the fact that it mostly went to Kirby's wife is the best part.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Chill, have you painted and then posted your Infinity dudes anywhere yet?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

grassy gnoll posted:

Chill, have you painted and then posted your Infinity dudes anywhere yet?
No. I've been painting spaceships again since the new wave of ships just came out and I need the new list ready for regionals. Though I really should since I haven't painted a humanoid in about 2 years now. Though I'll probably put this on hold since I want to paint humans again.

Radish posted:

Yeah. You are effectively paying for 1.5 model kits when you can only make 1. If they designed these model sprus to be able to make multiple units, but then packaged them so that you could only make one and reduced the price accordingly it would be much better for the consumer. Effectively saying "we are saving on packaging costs then charging you a premium for it" is really assholish. With Privateer Press their multi-jack kits are fairly interchangeable if you use magnets for the limbs so you are actually potentially getting value. With a bunch of extra very specific parts that have no use you are getting mostly nothing.
I like that Macross kits allow you to transform them to robot, gerwalk, and plane modes with all-in-one kits. It's not advisable, but the option is there.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I read on /tg that the Imperial Fists got squatted. Is this true? If so when did it happen?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
They didn't, /tg/'s probably misremembering a new piece of fluff from The Beast Arises series GW's been running this year. The Imperial Fists got their asses kicked hard when they tried to take on a massive WAAAGH by themselves like the smug pricks they are.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SteelMentor posted:

They didn't, /tg/'s probably misremembering a new piece of fluff from The Beast Arises series GW's been running this year. The Imperial Fists got their asses kicked hard when they tried to take on a massive WAAAGH by themselves like the smug pricks they are.

Wiped out except for a single survivor, and then recreated with volunteers from successor chapters.

A similar thing happened to the Blood Angels, so at this point I wouldn't be surprised if it'd happened to all the original Chapters

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Except the Space Wolves, I guess. I think they're the only Legion without any successors?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ashcans posted:

Except the Space Wolves, I guess. I think they're the only Legion without any successors?

Salamanders don't have any either, iirc

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 26, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

I read on /tg that the Imperial Fists got squatted. Is this true? If so when did it happen?

The Blood Angels chapter got wiped out trying to get some dumb relic from a space hulk. That is literally from the more recent Space Hulk's rulebook.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol, returning to Zoids chat from earlier, Zoids may end up being even more relevant to this thread. They're doing some kind of grimdark military Zoids

http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/zoids_teaser/

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Guy Goodbody posted:

lol, returning to Zoids chat from earlier, Zoids may end up being even more relevant to this thread. They're doing some kind of grimdark military Zoids

http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/zoids_teaser/

:wtc: :doh:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That looks like they're trying to ride off Pacific Rim and Shin Godzilla more than anything, with probably a bit of Gundam (since Gunpla is kind of the main competitor to Zoids).

Also, there needs to be wargame rules for HG Gunpla. :getin:

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Chill la Chill posted:

I converted a now-former WHFB player to a KoW believer this past weekend.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Radish posted:

The Blood Angels chapter got wiped out trying to get some dumb relic from a space hulk. That is literally from the more recent Space Hulk's rulebook.

And yet the Ultramarines repelled an entire Hive Fleet and only lost their first company. GW is good at being consistent.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Avenging Dentist posted:

And yet the Ultramarines repelled an entire Hive Fleet and only lost their first company. GW is good at being consistent.

Presumably the Ultramarines also had the entire military might of Ultramar

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I do like the idea that the Blood Angels managed to pour their entire chapter into one Hulk mission though. They mobilized their entire chapter for this one thing, brought every scout and veteran from their homeworld, and stuffed them all into some crappy leaking wreck to die. When they were 800 bodies deep, no one paused to say 'Maybe we should reconsider this'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ashcans posted:

I do like the idea that the Blood Angels managed to pour their entire chapter into one Hulk mission though. They mobilized their entire chapter for this one thing, brought every scout and veteran from their homeworld, and stuffed them all into some crappy leaking wreck to die. When they were 800 bodies deep, no one paused to say 'Maybe we should reconsider this'.

I believe an old version of the Marine codex said something along the lines of 'The history of the Adeptus Astartes is full of glorious last stands and heroic assaults that, viewed with a sober eye, were mostly completely unnecessary.'

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Presumably the Ultramarines also had the entire military might of Ultramar

Even if the Ultramarines themselves did only 10% of the work, planets are like, really big, and a Hive Fleet that can take an entire planet is going to dwarf a genestealer hive on a hulk.

Like it's one thing when you send in 10 guys and they all die. But why would you send in all your guys?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ashcans posted:

It perfectly captures the tragedy and satire of the old 40k universe. I like it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

It perfectly captures the tragedy and satire of the old 40k universe. I like it.

It's one thing to have that in your fluff, and another thing to do that to one of the more-popular subfactions. Do not gently caress with the players' little dudes.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's one thing to have that in your fluff, and another thing to do that to one of the more-popular subfactions. Do not gently caress with the players' little dudes.

On the other hand, constantly gently caress wit your players little dudes, because that's more interesting. Besides, it's all 'in the past' as far as the lore is concerned.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'll admit I actually like reading the Beast Arises series(not buying mind you the books are $16 a pop for a 240 page book but they're short enough to read in 3-4 coffee breaks at the local Barnes and Noble).

The quality is inconsistent since its multiple writers but it's set 1500 years after the Heresy and does a decent job showing how the Imperium started to calcify into the state it's in during 40k. That and they do a good job portraying the orks as terrifying. The best comparison is the short story from White Dwarf that was used in the Tryanid codex about what a Tyranid invasion is like from a guardsman' viewpoint.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

S.J. posted:

On the other hand, constantly gently caress wit your players little dudes, because that's more interesting. Besides, it's all 'in the past' as far as the lore is concerned.

Games Workshop does not have the level of competence required to manage this. If they were Privateer, sure; but they're not. Better just to leave it alone.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Avenging Dentist posted:

But weren't they the faction that was made up for the tie in videogames and then became really big? Maybe it's GW's way of flexing their muscle, now that they're not afraid of shrinking markets.

Like the way White Wolf included the main character/story from the bad Vampire PC game in the official lore of WoD but turned the dude from a heroic knight into a crazy murder hobo.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

But weren't they the faction that was made up for the tie in videogames and then became really big? Maybe it's GW's way of flexing their muscle, now that they're not afraid of shrinking markets.

No, that's Blood Ravens. The Blood Angels are one of the founding Legions, and pretty central to a lot of the backstory (their Primarch got killed by Horus trying to protect the Emperor).

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Leperflesh you have convinced me away from GW skellies. Went with the Mantic ones, gonna use bonios without helmets, with their armour pieces painted like moldy old leather, to be the unarmoured dudes.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I like what Mantic does. "Hmm, there's extra space on this spure so let's fill it with a dead elf."

The Mantic skellies came with a surprise little skeleton rat and it's amazing. Truly, not giving Games Workshop money has paid off for me this day.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Avenging Dentist posted:

No, that's Blood Ravens. The Blood Angels are one of the founding Legions, and pretty central to a lot of the backstory (their Primarch got killed by Horus trying to protect the Emperor).

I think the idea was for DoW to have its own OC Chapter (do not steal) so they can do whatever they want with the characters and chapter, depending on what the plot demands. Basically like normal GW.

Also a bit ironic form a marketing perspective. I mean, do the DoW games include any good guys (or even guy in general) from the official 40k lore, or is it all OCs?

Next time you're gonna tell me that all Warhammer Fantasy video games in the forseeable future will be centered on a setting GW themselves squatted a good while ag... oh.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 26, 2016

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Abaddon shows up to bitch at you in DoW2's Chaos campaign, Vect shows up in Soulstorm but he's kinda just... there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Doresh posted:

I think the idea was for DoW to have its own OC Chapter (do not steal) so they can do whatever they want with the characters and chapter. Basically like normal GW.

Yeah, I know. (Although DoW was originally previewed with Ultramarines.)

The main issue I'm trying to point out is that when you write fluff for one of the 4 most important Space Marine chapters (Blood Angels), you should probably temper your desire to write in historical disasters that befell them. These are the players' dudes, so you have to be careful not to gently caress them over; but that has the side effect that even major disasters, like losing 95% of your chapter in a suicide mission ultimately amounts to nothing. It ends up just underscoring how nothing ever happens in 40k.

There are lots of ways to give your setting the appearance of things happening without completely disrupting the fluff for players' armies, but GW fails catastrophically at it on like every level.

• Locked thread