Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nitis posted:

Maybe, but I will say that, as the Samrat of half of India, 10 of my last 12 rulers were lunatics. The rest died too soon to gain the trait, apparently.

I founded the Sogdian Empire and my ruler died a week later. Since then nobody has taken the throne and reached 50. CK2 loves its little curses, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

QuoProQuid posted:

nevermind. he fell off his horse and died

Mine hosed himself to death.

Actually TWO of mine hosed themselves to death. I get the old age gently caress-to-death event CONSTANTLY on anyone who gets immortal. It's just a matter of time until it kills them unless I forego all spouses.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Whether it's in the hands of your lover or when the inn blows up from under you, rulers in CK2 tend to go out with a bang

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Is there a fix/beta patch for the powerful vassal display bugs on the realm screen?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I only wish that healthy characters wouldn't suddenly die at age 40 of natural causes. I'm still hoping PDX will get that right one day.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

mackintosh posted:

I only wish that healthy characters wouldn't suddenly die at age 40 of natural causes. I'm still hoping PDX will get that right one day.

my grandpa died at 40 of natural causes

say tan
Sep 25, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I ate someone that didn't agree with me.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Yeah also what the gently caress

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Satan gave you your junk back, show some gratitude!

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 25, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My eunuch emperor was 704 years old in 1453, and not once did Satan offer him his balls back, I feel cheated. You'd think a lunatic who owns the Necronomicon and was known as ' the Accursed ' would be on good terms with the big guy :smith:

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

With 1000+ hours played I considered myself pretty much done with the game but this expansion has gotten me back in hardcore. I was playing a duke in Lombardy and I came down with smallpox. I picked the brave treatment option because why not... Physician knocked me out and cut my balls off. I already had a son so not a huge disaster and I got better but I jailed the doctor anyway. I sent out for a new physician and I got a Jewish mystic. Next time measles came around and I picked the mystic treatment because it can't be worse than castration right? Dude murdered my daughter as a sacrifice to the virgin Mary. And I can't complain too much because I got better again. Eventually I die and continue on as my son. I learned my lesson about epidemics so I make sure to go into seclusion as soon as they get anywhere near me. Unfortunately this new duke was a glutton so I immediately eat all of the food stores and make everyone hate me. And then a day later have another glutton event where I have no choice but to eat my granddaughter. Thankfully the cannibal opinion penalty is only -10. This is what CK2 is all about.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I have a story to tell, a story about my son.

He was the most perfect heir a king could ask for, and the most perfect heir I've ever seen. By the time he was 21, he'd become charitable, kind and humble, as well as leading Kembre's troops into our contributions in the Crusade against the mohammedans occupying lands that were rightfully Aquitainian. He produced fine children and was loved by all. I felt secure in the knowledge that my realm would be handed over to such a worthy successor. I just knew that he would be the one to finally break the backs of the damnable Picts and to bring the quarrelsome Irish into the Kembreian fold. He would be a man that could stand outside my shadow and make his own legacy, becoming the greatest king Kembre had ever know.

But it was not meant to be.

I was in my twilight years, 56 had come calling, and with it infirmity and illness. My physician did his best, but he was only able to slow the process. I had accepted my fate, not every man stays in good health for his entire life. Then, in the final days, when my mind was starting to go, disaster struck. My son, my wonderful, perfect son, died. The flu took him from me, and from the kingdom. The loss sent me into depression, yes the line was secure, but who could hope to live up to Baldoen? I could have placed all of my hopes on my grandson, but that would have unfairly burdened the boy. Instead I paid one last visit to my wife, then died of cancer.

TL:DR My super heir died of flu right as I was finally kicking the bucket, and I saw an event that I'd never seen before where I was all sad over how such an excellent successor had died and it gave me the option to bang my wife or give the new heir craven with a tiny, tiny chance at brave. After visiting my wife, an event made her pregnant and made her stressed out of fear of disappointing me.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

FART BOSS posted:

And then a day later have another glutton event where I have no choice but to eat my granddaughter.
Good lord, you're right. If you're a glutton, a hedonist, or a cannibal, you have no choice but to eat whoever gets into the stores. That seems a bit extreme, at least for the first two.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The first time you learn that you're not allowed to have a genius heir is always the hardest.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'd like it if it was made more obvious when you're going to get the tyrant penalty. I got a -40 penalty on one of my dukes for that and I'm not entirely sure how. The only thing I've done recently that I can think of is enforcing realm peace in order to let me change my succession laws before I died. But I don't recall seeing anything saying I would get a penalty for doing that and it's only on one guy so I'm kind of confused.

Other than that I'm having a lot of fun with the DLC and the beta patch. It seems I've been having more luck with surviving illnesses than most of you, but it has only been 100 years and I have a pretty upgraded hospital in my capital. Also was it added recently that female rulers could lead armies and get the crusader trait, or has that always been the case? I don't play as women all that frequently so I never noticed before.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I'd like it if it was made more obvious when you're going to get the tyrant penalty. I got a -40 penalty on one of my dukes for that and I'm not entirely sure how. The only thing I've done recently that I can think of is enforcing realm peace in order to let me change my succession laws before I died. But I don't recall seeing anything saying I would get a penalty for doing that and it's only on one guy so I'm kind of confused.

Other than that I'm having a lot of fun with the DLC and the beta patch. It seems I've been having more luck with surviving illnesses than most of you, but it has only been 100 years and I have a pretty upgraded hospital in my capital. Also was it added recently that female rulers could lead armies and get the crusader trait, or has that always been the case? I don't play as women all that frequently so I never noticed before.

I also get a ton of these tyranny -opinion modifiers for seemingly no reason. I'm playing with CK2+ so figured it was some obscure poorly-signalled mechanic of the mod but if you're getting it in vanilla too then I have no idea. Would also love it if somebody else knew what was up.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I've been playing as a Breton with Tanistry and all went well until I created the Empire of Prydain. When I did that the empire and all my kingdoms changed to gavelkind, but I immediately changed them all to tanistry. But they keep changing back! Does inheritance by a non-king reset everything to gavelkind, or something?

E: Or is it when someone with a non-Celtic culture inherits? It seems wrong to me that the law can change itself to suit my culture on day one of my reign, when I am not allowed to change the inheritance law until I've ruled for 10 years. Shouldn't I have a chance to adapt to it?

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 25, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Captain Mediocre posted:

I also get a ton of these tyranny -opinion modifiers for seemingly no reason. I'm playing with CK2+ so figured it was some obscure poorly-signalled mechanic of the mod but if you're getting it in vanilla too then I have no idea. Would also love it if somebody else knew what was up.

CK2+ mostly uses vanilla tyranny lately (because since Conclave, there wasn't a convenient way to disable Council-defiance tyranny or translate it to the mod's system so we could use the mod's own tyranny system without doubling up - something that we might be able to revisit with some of the new modder toys since then). There are SOME additional things that will give you tyranny in the mod but we will usually tell you.

That said I have no idea why someone would get a tyranny modifier on only one person so, um, if you or Dr. Feelgood are sure that's what's happening maybe file a bug report with the relevant people?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Oh dear me posted:

I've been playing as a Breton with Tanistry and all went well until I created the Empire of Prydain. When I did that the empire and all my kingdoms changed to gavelkind, but I immediately changed them all to tanistry. But they keep changing back! Does inheritance by a non-king reset everything to gavelkind, or something?

E: Or is it when someone with a non-Celtic culture inherits? It seems wrong to me that the law can change itself to suit my culture on day one of my reign, when I am not allowed to change the inheritance law until I've ruled for 10 years. Shouldn't I have a chance to adapt to it?

Yeah, it's a problem with non-celtic culture.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Yeah, it's a problem with non-celtic culture.

Ah. I was expecting tanistry to be a real challenge for an empire, but I see it is actually impossible. :(

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Captain Mediocre posted:

Yeah, I can confirm that's happening in my most recent game too. Pretty sure it's related to imprisoning a vassal after an uprising due to a failed arrest attempt.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I think you get a tyranny penalty if you enforce realm peace and someone is just then winning a war.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

genericnick posted:

I think you get a tyranny penalty if you enforce realm peace and someone is just then winning a war.

Not sure if it's based on who's winning or who was the aggressor in the war, but I think that's right.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Sin of Onan posted:

The ethnic religious practices of the Tangut/Western Xia, a now-extinct people who once had a kingdom in the Gansu Corridor. I am not sure why Top Hats Monthly is so concerned about their presence.

The Tangut are the raddest motherfuckers who ever graced the time period, because the official name for their country was "The Great State of White and High"

It sounds like it should be one of those metal albums with the ridiculous cover art.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
On the vanilla tyranny front, I feel like a -30 malus for one action is excessive. I revoke a dude's title, fine. I defy the council, sure, to be expected. But don't hit me with tyranny both for asking to revoke and when the fucknut mails his title back to me.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I've had it without demanding peace, revoking titles or imprisoning anybody. So there must be something else still doing it without warning.

Could it be any of those irritating pop-ups about people demanding spots on the council or a wife shouting at courtiers? Fairly sure it's not listed as an effect but I can't think of anything else. This is playing without conclave.

As a side note is there any reasonably simple way to just disable those events? I get so fed up of just clicking the same option every time to make them go away while I'm trying to do something else.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've done the new player thing of uniting Ireland playing as the Petty King of Mumu, and snagged Wales (minus one county) as well.

-How best do I use my daughters for getting claims (particularly on Scotland)?
-The one remaining county of Wales is an earl, vassal of a duke, vassal of the King of England. If I just fabricated a claim on it (game doesn't seem to want to let me de-jure claim it as the King of Wales), would I have to also fend off the duke/king?
-Not sure whether it's worth it to move my capital to Dublin for the extra holding slot, tech in my capital is far more advanced.

I play with my partner next to me offering input, who is a lot more keen on building (:iiam:, given how you can't really see any of it) and character stuff than painting the map, which I get. What are some good start points if we want to play a few fun shorter games of just faffing around?

One idea I had was to use Ruler Designer to make a total trainwreck of a king or emperor and watch the wheels fall off. Are there any places that would be stable enough for us to let that run its course for a while without being masters of the game's mechanics? What would also be a good way to set up a very intrigue-y game? Thus far I've tried intrigue once, to off a landed half-brother who was a real thorn in my side, which took a while but did ultimately work.

Captain Mediocre posted:

As a side note is there any reasonably simple way to just disable those events? I get so fed up of just clicking the same option every time to make them go away while I'm trying to do something else.

Related: how do I disable notifications on cardinal appointments? I'm just getting in to the game and I just leave it on papal investiture, park my chaplain in Rome to kiss the Pope's butt, and basically ignore that whole mechanic, but the constant notifications on the College of Cardinals' revolving door is a bit annoying.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 26, 2016

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've done the new player thing of uniting Ireland playing as the Petty King of Mumu, and snagged Wales (minus one county) as well.

-How best do I use my daughters for getting claims (particularly on Scotland)?
You can't really. The best you can realistically do is matrilinearily marry your daughters to kingdom heirs, but the AI normally won't accept that, and even then it'll only give that title to your future cousins or whatever (unless you have no sons). Daughters are good for alliances, or for plotting - you can train them in intrigue and marry them off to courts where you need more plot power, for instance.

quote:

-The one remaining county of Wales is an earl, vassal of a duke, vassal of the King of England. If I just fabricated a claim on it (game doesn't seem to want to let me de-jure claim it as the King of Wales), would I have to also fend off the duke/king?

Yep. The King of England owns that land, and you're not taking it without a fight. Focus on taking weaker independents until you're strong enough to fight England, perhaps with help from allies that you've secured through marriages. Or you can wait to press your claim until England is in the middle of a revolt or some other war (bonus points if you manage to instigate said war).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Daughters can make good title farms for titles one below your primary title, ie duke titles as a king. Pressing claims outside the kingdom only sets up vassalage if they are your dynasty and it's a title lower. So you can keep an eye out for claimants with an inheritable claim to a title you're interested in, matrilineal marriage them either straight up (unlikely because claims generally count against agreeing to it) or invite them to your court, where they can't refuse marriage. Stab them when they have kids to force the inheritance sooner than later.

It can be a bit like winning the lottery finding an inheritable claim that is strong, or a weak one that you can press. But once you do it's ridiculously more repeatable to farm a duke claim compared to the lottery that is forging duke claims. If you have nothing better to do you might even press a claim to white peace to make it inheritable.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Related: how do I disable notifications on cardinal appointments? I'm just getting in to the game and I just leave it on papal investiture, park my chaplain in Rome to kiss the Pope's butt, and basically ignore that whole mechanic, but the constant notifications on the College of Cardinals' revolving door is a bit annoying.

One of the buttons on the notification (I totally can't remember which, maybe it looks like an envelope?) will take you to the message rules for that sort of event. You can reduce that all the way down to never bothering you again if you want. Same for any notification. If you disable a message that you later want back, you can pull open the outliner (The panel on the right that tells you about your holdings and armies), get it to show you the message rules, and change it from there.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Doomdark made a DD this week:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-25-man-vs-machine.971056
(It's about UI, not a terminator invasion, sadly)

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
could something more be done to the education system? I think its lacking, but maybe education wasnt a big deal back in the days?
I was thinking maybe a teacher (principle?) minor title that I can give to someone decent who will then assign good tutors to the children? Its boring to try and find decent educators for a court full of kids.

I would also like to be able to send my kid to a college or whatever for some cash in return for a good education and maybe a chance of culture/religious conversion. Tie it in with some events and traits. Kid making friends/rivals etc.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Zombiepop posted:

I was thinking maybe a teacher (principle?) minor title that I can give to someone decent who will then assign good tutors to the children? Its boring to try and find decent educators for a court full of kids.

This this this. I am so tired of clicking that focus button.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
On the other hand, there's no actual need to assign anyone, they automatically get taught by the "best" educator they are close to - you just set a guardian if you want to.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think there's some edge cases about best educator with heritage at the least. In my viking game I set a couple Finnish Suomenusko bastards up as heritage right at birth so I wouldn't forget. I don't know the exact chain of events but I noticed when they were older that they were being educated by their Finnish mother because one of them flipped from Germanic back to Suomenusko.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So someone is working on a mod about the unification of Norway, looks pretty neat.

Religious map

"Kingdoms", ie Fylki and Jarldoms.

"Empires", ie kingdoms.

Hopefully they'll keep on developing it, they seemed a bit discouraged.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 26, 2016

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I ran into what I guess is a bug, where as the game went on my kids started receiving fewer childhood traits. About 4 hours into a game I noticed kids were starting to only have 2 childhood traits, and then after another hour or two they were getting just a single trait. Some of them were my direct children, some were nephews, etc.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Darkrenown posted:

On the other hand, there's no actual need to assign anyone, they automatically get taught by the "best" educator they are close to - you just set a guardian if you want to.

Well, I would like something to handle the picking and choosing of childhood focuses and educations for me--just something that automatically picks a focus or education that benefits their highest skill. It's something annoying to me that keeps coming up, for kid courtiers even if I don't have a lot of kids personally in the game. I hate that you're penalized if you don't pick it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

BenRGamer posted:

Well, I would like something to handle the picking and choosing of childhood focuses and educations for me--just something that automatically picks a focus or education that benefits their highest skill. It's something annoying to me that keeps coming up, for kid courtiers even if I don't have a lot of kids personally in the game. I hate that you're penalized if you don't pick it yourself.

If you're not married to achievements, there's apparently now a mod for that.

• Locked thread