Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

They did, but only if you were the right sort. That girl evidently wasn't.

It's also possible that whoever killed here was "the right sort;" it was far, far easier for the wealthy, noble, and/or powerful to get away with poo poo then than it was now. I imagine that's part of why it says "...by tramps." That or the police just didn't feel like bothering with it. At the time you could seriously just go "meh, gypsies did it" and leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

the police just didn't feel like bothering with it.

This was most assuredly the case.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

duckmaster posted:

where on earth is this happening

Speaking as a Campbell on my mother's side, Americans who are super into their Scottish heritage love to keep flipping Campbells poo poo about the massacre. In fairness, the Campbell motto is "never forget," so I guess they kind of walked into that one. But if there is some Highland games or ancestry nerd around and they find out you are related to Campbells, you will loving hear about it.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's also possible that whoever killed here was "the right sort;" it was far, far easier for the wealthy, noble, and/or powerful to get away with poo poo then than it was now. I imagine that's part of why it says "...by tramps." That or the police just didn't feel like bothering with it. At the time you could seriously just go "meh, gypsies did it" and leave it at that.

Ah, the good old days!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't know what kind of robust forensic science you're expecting here from 19th century cops to unambiguously tie a random body to its murderer.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Helena Handbasket posted:

Speaking as a Campbell on my mother's side, Americans who are super into their Scottish heritage love to keep flipping Campbells poo poo about the massacre. In fairness, the Campbell motto is "never forget," so I guess they kind of walked into that one. But if there is some Highland games or ancestry nerd around and they find out you are related to Campbells, you will loving hear about it.

Pete Campbell on Mad Men got into a fist fight after his daughter was denied a space in private school by the dean, a descendant of another clan who was still holding grudges centuries later. It was pretty cool they included that, and seeing Pete get punched was always nice.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So everyone knows who Niccolo Machiavelli is, right? People generally know him for his fairly cynical political philosophy. But while he was on his various diplomatic missions across the courts of European nobility, he would write letters back home to his friends. These letters were generally wildly exaggerated and sexual tales about himself on his travels. He wrote them to entertain both himself and his friends. Here's one that he sent to his friend, Luigi Guicciardini.

Niccolo Machiavelli posted:

Bloody hell, Luigi! How is it that Fortune hands it all to you on a platter, when I'm lucky to get even crumbs. While you get a feast of loving, I'm in the midst of a famine out here... I was randy as hell when I came upon an old woman who launders my shirts; she lived in a dim basement... she asked me to come in because she wanted to sell me a shirt.

So, naive prick that I am, I went inside. Here I made out in gloom a woman cowering in the corner, affecting modesty, covering her body and her face with a towel... The ribald old woman took me by the hand and led me over to her, saying "this is the shirt I want to sell you but I'd like you to try it on first and then pay for it." As you know, I am really a shy fellow, so I was terrified when the old woman left the room and closed the door, leaving me alone in the dark.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I hosed her one. Although her thighs were flabby and her oval office damp - and her breath stank a bit - because I was hopelessly horny I set to with a will. When I'd finished I decided to have a look at the merchandise and took a piece of burning wood from the hearth to light the lamp... Ugh! She was so ugly I almost dropped dead on the spot. The edges of her eyebrows were alive with nits. Her dribbly eyes had a huge squint, and one was larger than the other... one of her nostrils was split, so you could see her snot... Her mouth was twisted and because she was toothless she couldn't help dribbling; while on top of that she had a wispy moustache. "What's the matter, sir?" she asked, but when she opened her mouth her breath stank so much that my stomach turned over: my guts started to revolt, and then they did revolt - so that I threw up all over her...
Yep, Niccolo Machiavelli, the man who wrote The Prince, was basically Tucker Max.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
In other wacky Renaissance adventures, Benvenuto Cellini was a 16th Century goldsmith and sculptor remembered for his outrageous autobiography.

One anecdote has him meeting a necromancer priest and summoning demons inside the Colosseum. One ritual was going badly until one participants shat his pants.

quote:

IT happened through a variety of singular accidents that I became intimate with a Sicilian priest, who was a man of very elevated genius and well instructed in both Latin and Greek letters. In the course of conversation one day we were led to talk about the art of necromancy; apropos of which I said: Throughout my whole life I have had the most intense desire to see or learn something of this art. Thereto the priest replied: A stout soul and a steadfast must the man have who sets himself to such an enterprise. I answered that of strength and steadfastness of soul I should have enough and to spare, provided I found the opportunity. Then the priest said: If you have the heart to dare it, I will amply satisfy your curiosity. Accordingly we agreed upon attempting the adventure.

The priest one evening made his preparations, and bade me find a comrade, or not more than two. I invited Vincenzio Romoli, a very dear friend of mine, and the priest took with him a native of Pistoja, who also cultivated the black art. We went together to the Coliseum; and there the priest, having arrayed himself in necromancers robes, began to describe circles on the earth with the finest ceremonies that can be imagined. I must say that he had made us bring precious perfumes and fire, and also drugs of fetid odour. When the preliminaries were completed, he made the entrance into the circle; and taking us by the hand, introduced us one by one inside it. Then he assigned our several functions; to the necromancer, his comrade, he gave the pentacle to hold; the other two of us had to look after the fire and the perfumes; and then he began his incantations. This lasted more than an hour and a half; when several legions appeared, and the Coliseum was all full of devils. I was occupied with the precious perfumes, and when the priest perceived in what numbers they were present, he turned to me and said: Benvenuto, ask them something. I called on them to reunite me with my Sicilian Angelica. That night we obtained no answer; but I enjoyed the greatest satisfaction of my curiosity in such matters. The necromancer said that we should have to go a second time, and that I should obtain the full accomplishment of my request; but he wished me to bring with me a little boy of pure virginity.

I chose one of my shop-lads, who was about twelve years old, and invited Vincenzio Romoli again; and we also took a certain Agnolino Gaddi, who was a very intimate friend of both. When we came once more to the place appointed, the necromancer made just the same preparations, attended by the same and even more impressive details. Then he introduced us into the circle, which he had reconstructed with art more admirable and yet more wondrous ceremonies. Afterwards he appointed my friend Vincenzio to the ordering of the perfumes and the fire, and with him Agnolino Gaddi. He next placed in my hand the pentacle, which he bid me turn toward the points he indicated, and under the pentacle I held the little boy, my workman. Now the necromancer began to utter those awful invocations, calling by name on multitudes of demons who are captains of their legions, and these he summoned by the virtue and potency of God, the Uncreated, Living, and Eternal, in phrases of the Hebrew, and also of the Greek and Latin tongues; insomuch that in a short space of time the whole Coliseum was full of a hundredfold as many as had appeared upon the first occasion. Vincenzio Romoli, together with Agnolino, tended the fire and heaped on quantities of precious perfumes. At the advice of the necromancer, I again demanded to be reunited with Angelica. The sorcerer turned to me and said: Hear you what they have replied; that in the space of one month you will be where she is? Then once more he prayed me to stand firm by him, because the legions were a thousandfold more than he had summoned, and were the most dangerous of all the denizens of hell; and now that they had settled what I asked, it behoved us to be civil to them and dismiss them gently. On the other side, the boy, who was beneath the pentacle, shrieked out in terror that a million of the fiercest men were swarming round and threatening us. He said, moreover, that four huge giants had appeared, who were striving to force their way inside the circle. Meanwhile the necromancer, trembling with fear, kept doing his best with mild and soft persuasions to dismiss them. Vincenzio Romoli, who quaked like an aspen leaf, looked after the perfumes. Though I was quite as frightened as the rest of them, I tried to show it less, and inspired them all with marvellous courage; but the truth is that I had given myself up for dead when I saw the terror of the necromancer.

The boy had stuck his head between his knees, exclaiming: This is how I will meet death, for we are certainly dead men. Again I said to him: These creatures are all inferior to us, and what you see is only smoke and shadow; so then raise your eyes. When he had raised them he cried out: The whole Coliseum is in flames, and the fire is advancing on us; then covering his face with his hands, he groaned again that he was dead, and that he could not endure the sight longer. The necromancer appealed for my support, entreating me to stand firm by him, and to have assafetida flung upon the coals; so I turned to Vincenzio Romoli, and told him to make the fumigation at once. While uttering these words I looked at Agnolino Gaddi, whose eyes were starting from their sockets in his terror, and who was more than half dead, and said to him: Agnolo, in time and place like this we must not yield to fright, but do the utmost to bestir ourselves; therefore, up at once, and fling a handful of that assafetida upon the fire. Agnolo, at the moment when he moved to do this, let fly such a volley from his breech, that it was far more effectual than the assafetida. [1] The boy, roused by that great stench and noise, lifted his face little, and hearing me laugh, he plucked up courage, and said the devils were taking to flight tempestuously. So we abode thus until the matinbells began to sound.

Note 1. 'Fece una istrombazzata di coregge con tanta abundanzia di merda.'

tl;dr: "little boy of pure virginity" :catstare:, "abundanzia di merda"

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Sep 26, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Exorcist would have been even more entertaining if they incorporated fecal based banishment.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Ancient Roman and 17th century Ottoman coins were just found in a medieval Japanese castle

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

A pair of ethnically Han Chinese skeletons also showed up in a grave from Roman London recently. The ancient world was more interconnected than we sometimes think.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Red Bones posted:

A pair of ethnically Han Chinese skeletons also showed up in a grave from Roman London recently. The ancient world was more interconnected than we sometimes think.

According to genetic markers, they would either be *east asian* or *north african*. There hasn't been any bone structure confirmation yet, but we would have little way if knowing if they were ethnically han.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Nine of Eight posted:

According to genetic markers, they would either be *east asian* or *north african*. There hasn't been any bone structure confirmation yet, but we would have little way if knowing if they were ethnically han.

Oh, the news report I listened to said that they were pegged as East Asian based on their bone structure, but maybe that got mixed up somewhere in the chinese whispers that is science/history reporting.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Red Bones posted:

Oh, the news report I listened to said that they were pegged as East Asian based on their bone structure, but maybe that got mixed up somewhere in the chinese whispers that is science/history reporting.

It might've been North African whispers, jury's still out.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I mean yeah, we know that the Romans at least knew the Chinese existed and they were loosely connected to each other through not very many degrees of trade route separation. It's not unrealistic to assume that some rich guy at some point bought some Chinese slaves/servants because he thought it would be interesting. It is, however, probably much more likely that they are North African, you know, from a place the Romans actually owned a chunk of.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the fact alexander the great got all the way to pakistan is still p impressive to me

and there were greek buddhists in the area well into the first millenium ad

XMNN has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Sep 28, 2016

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

And those Greek Buddhists gave rise to basically all Buddhist iconography depicting a human form.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DStecks posted:

And those Greek Buddhists gave rise to basically all Buddhist iconography depicting a human form.

Whoa, can you elaborate on that?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Let's not forget about the medieval Chinese Jews: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaifeng_Jews

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Weren't humans in Greek mythology originally designed with twice the limbs before Zeus got antsy and split them in two? Or did I hear that on Facebook.

Edit. Wait no that was Plato

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Sep 29, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Arcsquad12 posted:

Weren't humans in Greek mythology originally designed with twice the limbs before Zeus got antsy and split them in two? Or did I hear that on Facebook.

I think he jacked that from Heraclitus, who suggested that nipples and genitals are visual evidence of man in his original state being torn in two.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's a neat song about it!

WickedHate has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Sep 29, 2016

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Buddhist_art

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Which is why there were huge statues of the Buddah in Afghanistan for the Taliban to blow up in 2001!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhas_of_Bamiyan

The northeastern pocket of Afghanistan is also known for being home to a number of naturally blonde and blue-eyed folks, as well as being the last part of the country to embrace Islam (instead favoring their 'Pagan' religion).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Here's one I just remembered and thought was cool

In Leiria, Portugal, in 13th century. A king started a long initiative to plant a bunch of pine trees on/near the coast to prevent the sand/dunes from moving towards the city and damaging their agriculture

https://m.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/55af0a/in_13th_century_leiria_portugal_a_king_begun_a/

There's a dope castle built by the Moors there too

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/CASTELO_DE_LEIRIA.jpg

And a snippet from a book

https://books.google.com/books?id=Q...20trees&f=false

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I come from a fishing village in Denmark & since I'm a huge nerd I've learned that there's been a bunch of efforts to work with sand (too much/too little). I think the earliest (documented) case is 1680s though.

Kinda envious re mediterannean history

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I come from a fishing village in Denmark & since I'm a huge nerd I've learned that there's been a bunch of efforts to work with sand (too much/too little). I think the earliest (documented) case is 1680s though.

Kinda envious re mediterannean history

As a Mediterranean, we're kinda envious re your whole having a functioning country and stuff.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Here's one I just remembered and thought was cool

In Leiria, Portugal, in 13th century. A king started a long initiative to plant a bunch of pine trees on/near the coast to prevent the sand/dunes from moving towards the city and damaging their agriculture

https://m.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/55af0a/in_13th_century_leiria_portugal_a_king_begun_a/

There's a dope castle built by the Moors there too

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/CASTELO_DE_LEIRIA.jpg

And a snippet from a book

https://books.google.com/books?id=Q...20trees&f=false

I whacked the name of the forest into google maps - is this whole thing it? That's pretty drat big

https://goo.gl/maps/A9jgarAc5Ww

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I didn't realize that the Moors had settled that far north. Mediterranean architecture from that era is really cool, and the mix of Roman and Arabesque styles all throughout that region is especially fun (I love arches). Portugal (though not technically Mediterranean, it has a lot of great Moorish influence) has been especially interesting to me lately, so if anyone has more cool stuff from there then I'd love to see or hear about it!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I whacked the name of the forest into google maps - is this whole thing it? That's pretty drat big

https://goo.gl/maps/A9jgarAc5Ww

Yeah I've been. It's literally a massive pine forest on the beach that goes towards the city

of course it only ended up that large over time. They used a lot of the wood for building ships and such and were probably throwing seeds all over

FELD1 posted:

I didn't realize that the Moors had settled that far north. Mediterranean architecture from that era is really cool, and the mix of Roman and Arabesque styles all throughout that region is especially fun (I love arches). Portugal (though not technically Mediterranean, it has a lot of great Moorish influence) has been especially interesting to me lately, so if anyone has more cool stuff from there then I'd love to see or hear about it!

The castle is amazing and really fun to explore. Portugal had a ton of awesome castles that were built by the Moors. I spent a while in Portugal, couchsurfed a lot, so heard a lot of cool things like this. Portugal has an amazingly rich history that I can read about forever. Americans don't pay any attention to the country so that made visiting, "when in Rome," and learning about their cultur/history all the more fun. There's also the story of Columbus being Portuguese I can expand on

other side was like a 120' drop. Just open for anyone to run and explore here

Kings room overlooking his city

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Oct 2, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I've always been morbidly fascinated by the earthquake & tsunami that pretty much destroyed Lisbon on all saints' day 1755.

The estimated death toll is 10–100 thousand people. Early morning quake in the atlantic, close enough to affect Northern Africa & Portugal, causing fires and house collapses, then the following tsunami washed in. It was felt in Greenland and possibly even Finland and Brazil & the waves were up to 20 meters.

There was a flood in 1858 in Denmark/England/Holland that was possibly a tsunami as well, but not nearly as bad.

Tsunamis in the atlantic are rare enough that they don't have a European name, but they do happen.

E: Moorish architecture in Spain & Portugal is so beautiful.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah in Lisbon they discovered an very very old Roman settlement in the middle of the city and installed see through flooring so you could walk around and see plus you could go down and look about on a catwalk. I have pictures

The tour guide told us the story of the Tsunami. Everyone from the city was baffled and ran down because they'd never seen anything like it and of course were subsequently swept away and killed. The response of the King was "bury the dead, move on, rebuild" I forgot the bit about it being a celebration so they were all already gathered

I seriously jerk it to this stuff it's so amazing to me. Don't get me wrong all of European history is fascinating but being in America all we know about Portugal is that it's that place West of Spain. And Ronaldo

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Oct 2, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

A lot of people don't know Portugal has two chains of islands, Madeira and Azores. Ronaldo is from the latter. I want to say Madeira is two-three islands and Azores is 10+. They're not very popular as tourist destinations because they're very expensive to visit and you might as well go elsewhere. Mainland Portuguese that have family there receive discounted airfare

Madeira is just a huge volcanic island (I mean yeah all islands are but its just volcanic rock all over)

Columbus took a port stop in Azores and part of the linking theory to the "Portugese Columbus" bit was that he knew exactly where to go and stopped there for a while, not showing a sense of urgency to spread news of his discoveries

Portugal were arguably the first to discover these islands, there were no indigenous people.

The islands always received little support and at some point there was a large struggle. Most all Portugese in America came from these islands. Many went to Hawaii, because gotta keep living that island life. So that's how so many Portuguese ended up in Hawaii. I believe it's the 3rd or 4th most spoken language in Hawaii.

People also don't realize how many places do in fact speak Portuguese. The Cape Verde islands off of West Africa, now independent, speak Portuguese. East Timor, the place near Australia. You'll find it old locals in Macau-China, and Goa-India, that still speak Portuguese. These were former Portuguese ports/forts. Then of course there's Angola and Mozambique. Angola had the huge civil war.

Portugal had a rough time and a literal totalitarian dictatorship through the 80s and I think 90s, Salazar was the dude. It was Russian-esque with literal Gestapo, political prisoners, torture, the whole bit.

Sorry for the poo poo posting here i'm on my phone but y'all have me on a tangent I can talk about this stuff all day :)

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Oct 2, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm possibly a descendant of Gabriel Milan, who was the governor of the Danish West Indies (now US Virgin Islands) in the 1680s. That is, his descendants are pretty thoroughly documented, but I believe I have found that evidence the son through whom I descended was his wife's from an earlier marriage.

Now, Gabriel's grandfather was supposedly a man named Henriques Dias Milão-Caceres (1528–1609), who lived in Portugal. He was a Jew (though converted to Catholicism) & had moved there because of Spanish prosecution (the infamous inquisition). In Portugal he did alright until the Portuguese also started up their own inquisition, and he was tortured and forced to confess to having been doing Jewish things in secret (a so-called crypto-jew). A horrible ordeal, I'm sure. He was eventually convicted of Judaism & burned at the stake, but he managed to put enough "blame" on himself to allow his children to escape to Amsterdam.

In Amsterdam, religions were pretty free even around 1600. There were the Dutch reformed, catholics, protestants, calvinists, and of course jews. Very cool I think. All the sons of Henriques eventually gave their children the name Henriques as a surname (they themselves were named like Manolo Dias Milão etc). There are many families around whose name is Henriques or Henriksen (the Danish variant) through him). There's no direct record, but supposedly, Gabriel Milan was the son of Manolo. In any case, he was definitely in Amsterdam from 1660-ish & on, until he became the governor in the Danish West Indies.

Then he really made a mess of it and was called "home" to Denmark, went through a trial, and was sentenced to have his hand and head cut off & put on stakes, but was pardoned & thus "only" beheaded in Copenhagen.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 01:16 on Oct 2, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

A lot of people don't know Portugal has two chains of islands, Madeira and Azores. Ronaldo is from the latter. I want to say Madeira is two-three islands and Azores is 10+. They're not very popular as tourist destinations because they're very expensive to visit and you might as well go elsewhere. Mainland Portuguese that have family there receive discounted airfare

Madeira is just a huge volcanic island (I mean yeah all islands are but its just volcanic rock all over)

Columbus took a port stop in Azores and part of the linking theory to the "Portugese Columbus" bit was that he knew exactly where to go and stopped there for a while, not showing a sense of urgency to spread news of his discoveries

Portugal were arguably the first to discover these islands, there were no indigenous people.

The islands always received little support and at some point there was a large struggle. Most all Portugese in America came from these islands. Many went to Hawaii, because gotta keep living that island life. So that's how so many Portuguese ended up in Hawaii. I believe it's the 3rd or 4th most spoken language in Hawaii.

People also don't realize how many places do in fact speak Portuguese. The Cape Verde islands off of West Africa, now independent, speak Portuguese. East Timor, the place near Australia. You'll find it old locals in Macau-China, and Goa-India, that still speak Portuguese. These were former Portuguese ports/forts. Then of course there's Angola and Mozambique. Angola had the huge civil war.

Portugal had a rough time and a literal totalitarian dictatorship through the 80s and I think 90s, Salazar was the dude. It was Russian-esque with literal Gestapo, political prisoners, torture, the whole bit.

Sorry for the poo poo posting here i'm on my phone but y'all have me on a tangent I can talk about this stuff all day :)

No need to apologize, it's interesting :)

Brazil speaks Portuguese too, which used to trip me up cause the rest of South America speaks Spanish.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ah yes of course Brazil. There's others too but the ones I listed were the main ones I remember. Brazilians really really hate Portuguese and hate their continental dialect as well. There's constant big pushes in Brazil to make it its own language there. They really are drastically different and often can't understand eachother. It's nothing like the UK/American English differences. Parts of Uruguay speak a Spanish/Portuguese dialect

Brazil has crazy history too and there could be a thread for that. Also the reason so many African Americans ended up in Brazil is because the Portuguese enslaved the tribal people of the Amazon/current Brazil but found they weren't as strong as the African Americans so they brought a ton of them over. The Portuguese Columbus theory stems from the idea that Portugal knew of North American and discovered Brazil, which had a ton of gold. They wanted to distract Spain so they sent undercover Columbus

Here's another one I just remembered. Britain/Portugal has the longest standing alliance between two countries. They really hate the French. Tripe (animal intestines ) is common in Portuguese cuisine. The city of Porto (where Port wine comes from, awesome place)? had a huge wall they barricaded themselves in when Napoleon came. There's a canal there that had a bridge going across. It collapsed when the locals were running across it from Napoleons soldiers. There's a depiction and memorial of it where people still light candles at the end of where it used to be. Anyways, apparently this is when tripe became popular because they had to be self sufficient within the walls and had limited resources. Also apparently they would give all the good meat to the sailors and keep the tripe

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Oct 2, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ah yes of course Brazil. There's others too but the ones I listed were the main ones I remember. Brazilians really really hate Portuguese and hate their continental dialect as well. There's constant big pushes in Brazil to make it its own language there. They really are drastically different and often can't understand eachother. It's nothing like the UK/American English differences. Parts of Uruguay speak a Spanish/Portuguese dialect

Brazil has crazy history too and there could be a thread for that. Also the reason so many African Americans ended up in Brazil is because the Portuguese enslaved the tribal people of the Amazon/current Brazil but found they weren't as strong as the African Americans so they brought a ton of them over. The Portuguese Columbus theory stems from the idea that Portugal knew of North American and discovered Brazil, which had a ton of gold. They wanted to distract Spain so they sent undercover Columbus

Here's another one I just remembered. Britain/Portugal has the longest standing alliance between two countries. They really hate the French. Tripe (animal intestines ) is common in Portuguese cuisine. The city of Porto (where Port wine comes from, awesome place)? had a huge wall they barricaded themselves in when Napoleon came. There's a canal there that had a bridge going across. It collapsed when the locals were running across it from Napoleons soldiers. There's a depiction and memorial of it where people still light candles at the end of where it used to be. Anyways, apparently this is when tripe became popular because they had to be self sufficient within the walls and had limited resources. Also apparently they would give all the good meat to the sailors and keep the tripe

I did four years of Açorean Portuguese in high school. I never could understand a word of Brazilian. It sounds like French to me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Chichevache posted:

I did four years of Açorean Portuguese in high school. I never could understand a word of Brazilian. It sounds like French to me.

gently caress I thought I was the only one! There really is a French sound to Brazilian Portuguese.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Here's a quick video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW0YZeDtClo

In Portugal they say "tu" for you and in Brazil it's "voce." The Portuguese reserve it for very formal uses while in Brazil they call everyone voce, even someone they're about to kill.

So everyone knows about Spain and it's different regions and their dialects/languages.

Directly North of Portugal is an area called "Galicia." They speak a dialect called "Gallego" which is more similar to Portuguese than Spanish.

quote:

Both Portugal and Galicia have their roots in the old Kingdom of Galicia, one of the many Christian kingdoms left in the wake of the Muslim invasion of Visigoth Hispania which warred each other and the Moors, changed names and allegiances, merged and split countless times until they started to settle into more stable monarchies around the 13th century.

Here's a fun link that talks about the relationships between the two places and the Moors

https://www.quora.com/How-similar-are-Galicia-and-the-north-of-Portugal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVRaW3NzfnU&t=27s

I love this song, but the lyrics are completely impenetrable to me lol. To me it sounds like people pretending to speak French :o:.