Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
the trophy is large potato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
There probably isn't a trophy as it wouldn't be given out for 25 years.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
The trophy is the shadow of a long degraded potato

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Insanely Sikh posted:

The trophy is the shadow of a long degraded potato

Very meta, very abstract. I like it.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Jeffrey Webb, ex-Head of CONCACAF was banned for life today from football by FIFA. Him being the Head of CONCACAF was still one of the dumbest and shortest appointments ever. He was a Warner crony from the Caymans who specialized in banking. He was also elected by the Caribbean bloc because they thought he would enact 'revenge' against the US for this whole clusterfuck.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
... How exactly was he supposed to enact this supposed revenge? :confused:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Malachite_Dragon posted:

... How exactly was he supposed to enact this supposed revenge? :confused:

Who knows? CONCACAF is weird. Everything is run through tiny, poor Caribbean islands who barely even have national teams. Most likely, they would black any proposals USSoccer would put forth, but other than that, I don't know. We're by far the biggest money maker for them as the only country who hosts anything of significance.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Most likely, they would black any proposals USSoccer would put forth

Mods!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Lmao

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

:doh: loving phone posting...

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Ahahaha

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a62fc6212cf94badaea129d608b4ac1f/fifa-disbands-racism-task-force-ahead-world-cup-russia

FIFA disbands its anti-racism task force before the Russian World Cup, saying its mission is "completely fulfilled".

FIFA is amazing

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Racism is over. Thank you FIFA.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Racism never stood a chance once FIFA got on the case.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Too bad it's just too little too late for Sol Campbell, who was killed by racism in Poland & Ukraine in 2012

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

peanut- posted:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a62fc6212cf94badaea129d608b4ac1f/fifa-disbands-racism-task-force-ahead-world-cup-russia

FIFA disbands its anti-racism task force before the Russian World Cup, saying its mission is "completely fulfilled".

FIFA is amazing

Wow. FIFA has killed racism. What heroes. What a time to be alive.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Maybe President Trump can hire them as consultants to undo all the damage Obama has done regarding racism in America.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Dunban posted:

Too bad it's just too little too late for Sol Campbell, who was killed by racism in Poland & Ukraine in 2012

he was

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
FIFA killed racism! wow!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
In two years, there may be some necromancy involved.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
the secret racist thread in the football forum where you can say ni**a has no raison d'être anymore after the demise of racism

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
A comment from a Russian football website:

moron posted:

Racism is an American invention. They should be the ones fighting it. We have no historical roots to have it. [sic]

Note that the last sentence is just as senseless in Russian, he probably meant historical context, as in lack of African colonies/slaves in Russia being Russian.

another one posted:

People just need to pay less attention. Especially you, African fellas, who, apparently, have some kind of an inferiority complex formed on a genetic level. Trust me, nobody gives a poo poo about you and your skin-related complexes. You and you alone are the ones who need it.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 26, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wow I'm glad we put FIFA on the case, already I can feel a weight lifted from all our shoulders as the scourge of world racism is completely eradicated.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

It's embarrassing for FIFA that they had an anti-racism task force in the first place.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

jyrka posted:

It's embarrassing for FIFA that they had an anti-racism task force in the first place.

Racism was a big problem, but thanks to FIFA, it's no longer an issue.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Does anyone remember a couple days ago when there was still racism in the world? Boy I'm glad that's over.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Let's Kick "Let's Kick Racism out of Football" out of Football

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Tayter Swift posted:

lol

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Tayter Swift posted:

:newlol:

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
what about the transphobia task-force?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

advanced statsman posted:

what about the transphobia task-force?

They've all gone and lost their marbles.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Tayter Swift posted:

:boom:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

They've all gone and lost their marbles.

Hello good post.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

quote:

Not content with expanding the World Cup to 40 teams, the Fifa president, Gianni Infantino, has suggested going even further and opening up the competition to 48 countries from 2026.

The proposal to expand the competition to 40 teams was part of Infantino’s manifesto when he was elected to succeed the disgraced Sepp Blatter this year.

However, the former Uefa general secretary has now gone further still and suggested that the tournament could feature 48 teams, 16 of which would go home after one match.
World Cup 2018 qualifiers: 10 talking points from the first set of games
Read more

The idea would mean almost a quarter of Fifa’s 211 members qualifying for its flagship tournament and further increase the demands on the host nation. But the idea is likely to be popular among confederations outside Europe, who have long felt disadvantaged when it comes to World Cup places.

Infantino, speaking during an event at Bogota’s Sergio Aboleda university, said a final decision on the plan would be taken by the newly expanded Fifa Council in January, according to local Colombian media. “These are ideas to find the best solution. We will debate them this month and we will decide everything by 2017,” said Infantino. “They are ideas which we put forward to see which one is the best.”

The Swiss-Italian, a late entrant to the Fifa presidential race when the Uefa president, Michel Platini, was forced to withdraw over the episode by which he was eventually banned from football for four years, said he would advocate a 48-team tournament.

Infantino suggested a preliminary knockout round involving 32 teams played in the host country, with 16 winners reaching the group stage. Another 16 seeded teams would get a bye into the group stage. A Fifa spokeswoman confirmed on Monday night that the quotes were accurate.

The potential expansion of the World Cup from the current 32 teams is likely to be one of the items for discussion when the Fifa Council, rebranded from the disgraced executive committee that became synonymous with the corruption scandal that brought world football to its knees, meets next week.

Joachim Löw, the Germany coach, said last weekend that he opposed plans to expand the tournament. “I don’t think its a good idea to dilute the sporting value,” the 2014-World Cup-winning coach told the Welt am Sonntag newspaper in an interview on Sunday. Löw added that he had “an absolute understanding for the smaller nations who, thanks to this, could take their place on the big stage”.

However, Löw, who was also against enlarging the European championship from 16 to 24 teams, said that expanded tournaments placed a greater “sporting and mental” burden on the players. “We must be clear that, in the long term, the quality suffers. We must not overdo it.”

The World Cup was expanded from 24 teams to 32 in 1994 but most proposals for further expansion involve convoluted mathematical contortions or leave open the possibility of making the group stages unbalanced. Infantino’s solution would avoid that but would leave 16 teams flying to the host country to play one match before going home again.

All I can really muster in reaction is :stare:

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Yeah, can't see this not happening if it's put to a vote. Like Löw said, the small countries want at least a decent chance to qualify.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

All I can really muster in reaction is :stare:

2003 reg date posting massive wall of poo poo without a link or summary :thumbsup:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/03/world-cup-expand-48-teams-fifa-gianni-infantino-suggests

quote:

Not content with expanding the World Cup to 40 teams, the Fifa president, Gianni Infantino, has suggested going even further and opening up the competition to 48 countries from 2026. [...]

Infantino suggested a preliminary knockout round involving 32 teams played in the host country, with 16 winners reaching the group stage. Another 16 seeded teams would get a bye into the group stage. A Fifa spokeswoman confirmed on Monday night that the quotes were accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

ragle posted:

2003 reg date posting massive wall of poo poo
shut

ragle posted:

without a link
ok that's a fair point

ragle posted: