Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That's cool, but why would you have mentioned it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Usopp ate the Dream-Dream Fruit, which lets the user make dreams come true.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
What if he dreams he can swim?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Green Intern posted:

Usopp ate the Dream-Dream Fruit, which lets the user make dreams come true.

Since the ability is so powerful, it takes a while to take effect.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Nilbop posted:

Holy poo poo do I want Sanji to beat his family to death.

I want him to rearrange their faces to look like Duval Classic and/or Wanze.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Sub Harrison posted:

Will this arc finally explain how most OP humans can take multiple stab wounds and lose litres of blood at a time?

Oda has said that OP humans, even normal ones, are just tougher than us.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ThingOne posted:

I want him to rearrange their faces to look like Duval Classic and/or Wanze.

Now that you mention it, this seems extremely likely to happen.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Now that you mention it, this seems extremely likely to happen.

I can't see it happening. Duval cared about his looks, so rearranging his face to make him ~handsome~ was a fun way to resolve his character. None of his brothers have indicated they care at all about the way the look, so making them ugly seems pointless. If one of them was vain and loved his face it'd be a fitting punishment, but as is it doesn't seem like it'd do anything when their major crime is their attitude toward other people. It'd be like making a celestial dragon uglier. It just won't really affect them or their behaviour.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Luffy gonna pull an Emperor Palpatine end of this arc and have a clone army :hellyeah:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Sanji should beat their asses to look like funny Duval and then turn them in for his bounty.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Terror Sweat posted:

"Hey Luffy, I never mentioned this once before but my mother was secretly the most beloved queen of the next island we're going to, and the reason she was sick was because the big bad of that island poisoned her. My mom had a magical ability to make all her lies eventually come true."

It does seem odd to me that these guys travel together so much but never talk about their past to each other. Part of it is definitely because Oda hasn't set the story is stone yet. And part of is their personalities. I totally buy that Luffy never thought to mention that his grandpa is a famous navy hero.

Maybe a good explanation is that the crew is happy now. They don't want to talk about - and relive - their traumas; they just want to have adventures with their new friends. Until they have to because the current adventure brings their past trauma to the present for whatever reason.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

New omnibus is out; Straw Hats vs Oars was a real treat to read again, since it marks the first and really the only time that the Straw Hats have all worked in tandem and combined abilities to take on a single foe.

Also, I cannot quite believe Robin saying "never ask me to dock with you again" made it to print.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

lowercase16 posted:

It does seem odd to me that these guys travel together so much but never talk about their past to each other. Part of it is definitely because Oda hasn't set the story is stone yet. And part of is their personalities. I totally buy that Luffy never thought to mention that his grandpa is a famous navy hero.

Maybe a good explanation is that the crew is happy now. They don't want to talk about - and relive - their traumas; they just want to have adventures with their new friends. Until they have to because the current adventure brings their past trauma to the present for whatever reason.

that's pretty much it. there are narrative reasons, and Oda isn't afraid to jump back into the past and flesh things out. you could make an in-world argument that they have only been together for a few years, tops. although, as readers we have been with the strawhats for nearly 20 years.

besides that, there is the theme of them being pirates living outside of social norms, and the law, and living in the moment. They want to be free for a reason, including their past.

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 25, 2016

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

New omnibus is out; Straw Hats vs Oars was a real treat to read again, since it marks the first and really the only time that the Straw Hats have all worked in tandem and combined abilities to take on a single foe.

Also, I cannot quite believe Robin saying "never ask me to dock with you again" made it to print.

The Oars fight is at the perfect place in the story, too. Enies Lobby, everyone had 1v1 fights that pushed them hard. The whole team had to work together to take down Oars. Then one arc later they're finally in over their heads.

I just really like how Oda works up to that from the very beginning. It's one of my favorite plot threads.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

loving hell, this series has been around for twenty goddammit years? :aaa:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Parrotine posted:

loving hell, this series has been around for twenty goddammit years? :aaa:

a little over 19, but yeah

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"Indeed, the name of One Piece does have something to do with the ending of One Piece, but I can't tell you the exact reason/clue, or it'd be meaningless."

im telling yall one piece is literally the entire world. if you can change matter however the gently caress you want with willpower, everything must be made of the same poo poo and you're just rearranging it. "the voice of all things", everything having a "wavelength" or "rhythm". only bb amd luffy will be able to do that poo poo tho.

the opening of every version of one piece states that roger owned everything in the world and he states that he left "everything in this world" one place.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 25, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Has Blackbeard indicated anything like that so far? Cause I don't recall him doing so at least. Zoro has done something similar though, if only briefly and near death.

Edit: I also don't remember anyone changing matter however the gently caress they want, with willpower or anything else. A few devil fruit users have weird powers that let them rearrange matter and come close, like Wapol, but even he had limitations.

tsob fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 25, 2016

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

anime was right posted:

"Indeed, the name of One Piece does have something to do with the ending of One Piece, but I can't tell you the exact reason/clue, or it'd be meaningless."

im telling yall one piece is literally the entire world. if you can change matter however the gently caress you want with willpower, everything must be made of the same poo poo and you're just rearranging it. "the voice of all things", everything having a "wavelength" or "rhythm". only bb amd luffy will be able to do that poo poo tho.

the opening of every version of one piece states that roger owned everything in the world and he states that he left "everything in this world" one place.

and then they pull out the giant loving laser roger stashed away and didnt want to use to destory mariejois and fishman island powered by enel and his space army and unite all the seas and then sanji cries a bunch of tears too

i think it'll be a BIT of what you said but roger stashed something away for sure and its gonna be the last ancient weapon thats on the moon that enel already probably found going by the mini arc

the will of d poo poo i still have no clue though thats a real tricky one why the gently caress is law a D

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

drjuggalo posted:

the will of d poo poo i still have no clue though thats a real tricky one why the gently caress is law a D

Because fate shat on him multiple times and he still keeps going.
But the only thing that D people have in common that weve seen is that they were willing to die with a smile on their face.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

anime was right posted:

One Piece is a giant pile of gold and jewels and I won't hear otherwise

cocky read
Sep 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
bad

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

deece dick. epic psycho re-reg who has spent 20% of his annual salary (six figures, natch) on new accounts to post on this dead forum ftw.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

cool

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

tsob posted:

Has Blackbeard indicated anything like that so far? Cause I don't recall him doing so at least. Zoro has done something similar though, if only briefly and near death.

Edit: I also don't remember anyone changing matter however the gently caress they want, with willpower or anything else. A few devil fruit users have weird powers that let them rearrange matter and come close, like Wapol, but even he had limitations.

haki. awakening. rumble balls. devil fruits in objects. there's a panel where a giant ship falls and the narrator quotes a physicist saying "yeah literally anything you can imagine actually can be real". this seems kind of absurd for a fictional physicist to be quoted as saying for a double page spread by our story's absolute authority.

i dont think it will be some planetary level power, but like luffy vs bb will be on a level of "luffy and bb can change matter around them and the creative use of such will be who wins the fight".

thats why i think luffy is the "chosen one" in the story. luffy is the only person who could become a sort of god and go "haha lets just go gently caress around and have fun and not dominate the world but also fix it for everyone else too"

anime was right fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 25, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Countblanc posted:

One Piece is a giant pile of gold and jewels and I won't hear otherwise

im sure theres gonna be an epic treasure that goes along with one piece...

and buggy will get it all.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

anime was right posted:

haki. awakening. rumble balls. devil fruits in objects.

There's been no indication that anyone, not even someone using all of them together could re-arrange reality however they pleased. They can rearrange it with limitations if they have a power like Wapols, and awakened devil fruit users can rearrange it with limitations to make the environment more comfortable or fitting for them - but only using the limitations of their powers. Those limitations can certainly be stretched, and the stretching of them provides a lot of the fun in devil fruit usage, but they can't simply do whatever they want just cause. The biscuit guy isn't going to be able to make an area in to sand just because willpower or devil fruits for instance. He might be able to make it a crumble that imitates sand, but it'll still be made of biscuit at the end of the day, and be open to any weaknesses of him or his power through it all.

That two page spread was also probably there to help support the idea of Sky Island and bolster reader's support for Luffy going there, and not to foreshadow that Luffy can do anything and everything he can imagine if he so pleases.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Just got to the part where Lola gives Nami the vivre card. The part I forgot is Lola signing the card to specifically vouch for the Straw Hats. That is clearly going to change the dynamic with Big Mom, more so than just having the card and saying they helped her.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Watch luffy destroy whatever goodwill that would bring.

Chances are big mom already knows :ssh:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Big Mom doesn't strike me as particular lucid.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i don't have much love for skypeia but this might be one of my favorite pages in the entire dang manga

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

when you reach raftel, there's nothing there but a pedestal with w giant red button with a skull and crossbones on it. when you press it, every piece of gold across the world flies to the island and combines to form a giant robot. that robot is one piece

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Stealing someone's post from the Overwatch thread

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

not really getting the choices for sanji and nami but otherwise drat those are sick

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

not really getting the choices for sanji and nami but otherwise drat those are sick

d.va has long hair I guess

none of the heroes fit sanji's kicking thing so I guess mccree was picked out of a hat. maybe lucio's soccer skin but idk

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

d.va has long hair I guess

none of the heroes fit sanji's kicking thing so I guess mccree was picked out of a hat. maybe lucio's soccer skin but idk

McCree smokes.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brother Entropy posted:

mei controls weather but has a really clunky coat so nami obviously cant wear something that makes sense

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
or i guess pilot / navigator idk

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm not really sure how Luffy is Tracer either, at least based on powerset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pureauthor posted:

I'm not really sure how Luffy is Tracer either, at least based on powerset.

Gear 2 lets him move fast I assume.