Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah you can't do what you are asking for. If you pay off the phones the credit goes away.
Okay thanks for the confirmation! I'll have to think about if it makes sense more sense to just buy them outright with drat minimum spend to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day 42069 posted:

Okay thanks for the confirmation! I'll have to think about if it makes sense more sense to just buy them outright with drat minimum spend to hit.

I think it boils down to 3 questions:

1. Should they just keep the 5S until they break and just save money until then?
2. If you want to buy whatever outright, should you just buy a SE if they don't need the latest?
3. Or get the iPhone 7. If you do the 7, the trade in for $400 is still solid. Even at $200 for one year for a 5S That's a good deal.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Or get the iPhone 7. If you do the 7, the trade in for $400 is still solid.
That's the conclusion I keep coming back to. They're not going to upgrade again next year, so it'd be the full $400 paid out for each decide over the next 24 months. I was just interested in getting the device balances out of the way early, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Welp, somehow when I did the trade-in for mine and my wife's phones it put both trade-ins under my wife's line. Do I just send in her's in one box and mine in the other and hope for the best? We both upgraded our lines.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Also what happens to the trade-in credit if I have to swap the phone under AppleCare? Do I lose the trade-in credit when the IMEI changes?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Also what happens to the trade-in credit if I have to swap the phone under AppleCare? Do I lose the trade-in credit when the IMEI changes?

One would think it goes by model, so since it would be the same model you should be ok.

Verizon rushed this promo so I don't think they even thought this through yet.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Verizon data question:

Is a gigabyte of data (to Verizon) 1024MB or just 1000MB?
1024 MB. Same ratio all the way down to kilobytes and bytes.

If you do an estimate of usage with Data Calculator it spells this out.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/dataShareCalculator.jsp

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So I am legit seeing the unusual data usage spike that is circling the Internet recently. I shouldn't go over my data plan this month, but it bothers me that all of a sudden I'm supposedly using 50% more data than normal with no explanation.

I'm hesitant to call Verizon because I'd rather not go through the 100 questions that others have reported when they call.

This may be the end of our relationship :sad:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Do you use Google+ ?

I have seen people blaming that service specifically for their usage going up.

Just checked out my data to be safe and everything looks kosher.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Taima posted:

Do you use Google+ ?

I have seen people blaming that service specifically for their usage going up.

Just checked out my data to be safe and everything looks kosher.

Good call - no I don't use G+ and just uninstalled it, just in case.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So I can't trade in 2 devices at the same time online? I'm trying to take advantage of that iPhone trade in deal (plus the new t-shirt plans to get the free 2GB per line thing) but once I set up the trade in on the checkout screen, I don't see an option to do another for the 2nd phone.

I guess I have to do it separately? :confused:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I guess I have to do it separately? :confused:
Yep I had to do 3 transactions to upgrade and trade-in 3 iPhones.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cool, Verizon doesn't why I have two trade in requests for my wife's phone and why my phone isn't showing the correct trade in amount. Calls over 2 days have resulted in a "elevated to a sup, expect a call back in a week"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yep I had to do 3 transactions to upgrade and trade-in 3 iPhones.

Cool, process done after changing to the new plan. Little annoying but it got the job done.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

So I am legit seeing the unusual data usage spike that is circling the Internet recently. I shouldn't go over my data plan this month, but it bothers me that all of a sudden I'm supposedly using 50% more data than normal with no explanation.

I'm hesitant to call Verizon because I'd rather not go through the 100 questions that others have reported when they call.

This may be the end of our relationship :sad:
VZW and any wireless carrier keeps tallies on how much data you use. They have to do this because they present you with a bill demanding money every month. Yes it is true that gathering all of your roaming records during foreign

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
I've been unsuccessful at finding a Verizon store with the 7 in stock to take advantage of the promotional trade in offer. I guess I'll have to order it online. The only thing is i have to go out of town for work for 5 weeks and the phone is estimated to be delivered in that time. Does anyone know how the trade in works if you do it online? I assume I keep my 5s until I get the 7 and then send it in? Is there a grace period to send it in? I'm wondering how this works if the phone arrives when I'm out of town.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I've been unsuccessful at finding a Verizon store with the 7 in stock to take advantage of the promotional trade in offer. I guess I'll have to order it online. The only thing is i have to go out of town for work for 5 weeks and the phone is estimated to be delivered in that time. Does anyone know how the trade in works if you do it online? I assume I keep my 5s until I get the 7 and then send it in? Is there a grace period to send it in? I'm wondering how this works if the phone arrives when I'm out of town.

You have 1-2 weeks to send it back from date received.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Ok thanks. I may just have to roll the dice and see if I get the phone. It's hard to overlook the $400 trade in credit.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Is there and end date on the $650 trade in promo? I went in a store yesterday and asked the manager and he said no, but I thought I read here that it ends the 30th.

I am going in today to order two phones for my in laws but they wont be in town to hand over their old phones until Saturday the 1st.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Keystoned posted:

Is there and end date on the $650 trade in promo? I went in a store yesterday and asked the manager and he said no, but I thought I read here that it ends the 30th.

I am going in today to order two phones for my in laws but they wont be in town to hand over their old phones until Saturday the 1st.

All the terms I've seen say it ends 9/30.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Have a link or anything? I went in today and they said the same thing - no end date yet.

I had them order me two phones with a shipping date in early November. They said when they get in to bring the old phones in for the credit and I should be fine since my order date of today is within the promo period. Sound reasonable?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Keystoned posted:

Have a link or anything? I went in today and they said the same thing - no end date yet.

I had them order me two phones with a shipping date in early November. They said when they get in to bring the old phones in for the credit and I should be fine since my order date of today is within the promo period. Sound reasonable?

You just have to read a couple posts above you dude, people had same issue as you

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Keystoned posted:

My friend is a manager of a Verizon store and he said it was the 30th.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Keystoned posted:

It's on the front page of VZW, you can't miss it. I'll take the word of the corporate website over a dude in a retail store.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It also says until 9/30 on the poster in the window of Verizon stores.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
9/30 is just the date to get the order in by, right? I ordered my phone from Verizon a week ago, and have already received my box to ship back my trade-in phone, even though my new phone won't come until mid-October.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

9/30 is just the date to get the order in by, right? I ordered my phone from Verizon a week ago, and have already received my box to ship back my trade-in phone, even though my new phone won't come until mid-October.

Yea it's just the order date

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
My wife went into a store yesterday and they told her she couldn't trade it in because she still had a few months to go before she was through her two years. This seems reasonable and all, but can someone confirm the phone has to be paid off? They told her a bunch of other stuff that was batshit crazy so I just wanted to double check.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cascadia Pirate posted:

My wife went into a store yesterday and they told her she couldn't trade it in because she still had a few months to go before she was through her two years. This seems reasonable and all, but can someone confirm the phone has to be paid off? They told her a bunch of other stuff that was batshit crazy so I just wanted to double check.

You don't own the phone until it's paid off. You can't trade in a phone you don't own. Once you pay it off, you own the phone and can trade it in.

I paid off the two iPhones on my account before trading them in. My payoff date was December.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Cascadia Pirate posted:

When I went in they had me pay off the phones. The rep pulled up my acct on an ipad and ran my credit card, then I was done.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Crossposting from iPhone thread:

Thinking of skipping AppleCare+ this go around after 2 generations of iPhones with no real problems outside of stuff that was found during the first year of ownership. Does anyone know if iPhones purchased with a Mastercard with extended warranty works with device payment plan phones (in my case, Verizon's, because of their really good trade in deal)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Crossposting from iPhone thread:

Thinking of skipping AppleCare+ this go around after 2 generations of iPhones with no real problems outside of stuff that was found during the first year of ownership. Does anyone know if iPhones purchased with a Mastercard with extended warranty works with device payment plan phones (in my case, Verizon's, because of their really good trade in deal)?

The payment plan extended warranty did not work with my AmEx, I think it was something with the match whatever the purchase price is and you haven't paid it up front yet. But honestly, the only straight answer you will get is calling MasterCard.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
So I decided I actually am going to take advantage of the trade in promo. My wife doesn't listen to music or podcasts or have any slim hope for the 8, so the 7 on the 24-month rebate will work fine for her, and I'll just get an SE straight up. The thought of going to Craigslist with my old 6 was just too terrible.

But my question is this: If I want to just do everything in-person, is it truly possible to walk into an Apple store showing inventory on istocknow.com and get a 7 and an SE — SE for cash and 7 on the Verizon payment plan. And then head straight to a corporate Verizon store and hand them my old 6 and activate the phones there and hold the rep's hand as he sets up the accounts?

Also as an out-of-contract customer on the old $60/2GB plan, should I switch to the new Large plan online before walking into the Apple store? I have zero idea how Apple handles carrier phones/plans in-store.

I can also do it online and wait until the end of October when the web orders supposedly ship, but I figure an in-person purchase/exchange will eliminate the possibility of me drunkenly spiking my old 6 into the sidewalk between now and then. It's also a slightly complicated thing: my old phone getting "exchanged" for a 7 that will get my wife's number on a new line (she's on Virgin now) and me getting a new cash phone with my number. Also making sure my employee discount stays stuck to my account. Seems like it's safer to do it at a Verizon counter.

Edit: I can also confirm that the people I'm talking to at the mainline customer service and the corp stores say there is no end date for the promo, while the website has a big loving countdown clock that says 34 hours lol.

el_caballo fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 29, 2016

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

el_caballo posted:

Edit: I can also confirm that the people I'm talking to at the mainline customer service and the corp stores say there is no end date for the promo, while the website has a big loving countdown clock that says 34 hours lol.

To be fair there's a good chance it will be extended but people shouldn't be stating that as fact. Most people are just really bad at their jobs.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
So nobody at the Verizon CS mainline can confirm if iPhones bought from an Apple store count. CS rep told me that you can only buy Verizon iPhones with Apple's official payment plan which I'm almost certain is not true but I've never bought a phone there. I've either gotten my iPhones from work or from the carrier as part of these promos.

If you buy in an Apple store, can you just select the vanilla $27/month Verizon Payment Plan™ when you're checking out?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

el_caballo posted:

So nobody at the Verizon CS mainline can confirm if iPhones bought from an Apple store count. CS rep told me that you can only buy Verizon iPhones with Apple's official payment plan which I'm almost certain is not true but I've never bought a phone there. I've either gotten my iPhones from work or from the carrier as part of these promos.

If you buy in an Apple store, can you just select the vanilla $27/month Verizon Payment Plan™ when you're checking out?

No you really should go and buy them at Verizon. And if they aren't in stock wait. I've had Apple send us customers because they didn't qualify for the promo buying at Apple.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

And as a reminder, the iPhone trade in deal ends tomorrow.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Is that deal worth it if my wife still owes like 14 months on her phone? Or wait 2 months and trade it in and start again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowmankilla posted:

Is that deal worth it if my wife still owes like 14 months on her phone? Or wait 2 months and trade it in and start again?

You would have pay off her old phone. If she plans on keeping the phone two years, def worth it. If every year, it raises the trade in to $325, and assuming she has a 6S you could get more online. So only if she wants it for two years.

• Locked thread