Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I think it would be okay if you could see lots of cockpit, but maybe not. You'd probably feel sick if you drove a big stompy mech in real life anyway so it's just part of the experience if you get sick in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

That might actually be somewhat easy or at least as easy as anything is in game dev. I'm not sure what they used at the time but it looks like vertex colored low poly though I think they weren't flat shaded and shared vertices rather than what is currently more fashionable in the flat shaded thing. Looking at the screenshots I'm seeing normals aren't sharp on the edges and colors blend on the faces. I've said it in the game dev thread but avoiding textures always makes 3D work so much easier for me. gently caress UV mapping.

If I wasn't in the middle of a side project about exploring caves and actually had a proper headset yet I might jump on that. Just slavishly copy MW2 with all the names filed off. Like gameplay on OG MW2 was just pick a mech, customize weapons, go on missions about following nav points blowing poo poo up right? Of course you'd end up with a small number of missions compared to old DOS games that would always be absolutely crammed with content.

At the time the engine was a marvel but today you can just shrug through the technicals. Especially if you wanted to be lazy about performance as you'd still be at a bazzilion fps on VR capable hardware no matter how much you hosed it up.

Copying the sound design might be a bit more difficult, though.

Mechwarrior 2 seems like a good candidate for a thorough reverse engineering for an engine re-implementation. It's a fondly remembered game and the engine was used in a bunch of other stuff too, notably Interstate '76.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

TomR posted:

I think it would be okay if you could see lots of cockpit, but maybe not. You'd probably feel sick if you drove a big stompy mech in real life anyway so it's just part of the experience if you get sick in VR.

Immersive Nausea is gonna be the name of my VR startup.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Ho ho ho.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FuzzySlippers posted:

I wonder if that long swaying motion they used in the MW games to suggest you are in a big stompy machine would make people ill even if they are stable within but the machine bounced around them. Otherwise it might feel more like you are in a heavily armed hovercraft (psvr battlezone I guess) if there isn't some sense of mech weight.

I would think that anyone who can do a flight or driving sim should be ok with that. If anything, it would probably have to be an optional setting to appease people who get VR sick.

In other news, I keep seeing people talk about Alien Isolation. Everyone keeps saying it might happen but I'm not holding my breath. The game is a couple years old by now. If they made any VR game, it would probably be something new. In order to make it economically viable, they'd probably have to make a completely separate VR version of the game instead of patching it into the old game. That would most likely just piss everyone off. Unless they think they could get enough new purchases to justify it. Even making paid DLC could work.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

TomR posted:

Ho ho ho.

These are ripped MW2 models? Do they have any kind of rig or bones? I've never screwed around with ripped stuff.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah they are rips I found from someone making paper models. They don't have bones or animations as far as I can tell, but there is a file that looks like it has XML in it with phases and angles for the legs so I think they just rotated according to a sine wave or something. I'll play around with it. Only the legs really animated anyway. Need to find the cockpits too.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Interstate 76, which used the MW2 engine, would be a good candidate for VR, I think. Aiming a pistol out the passenger seat window would be so much easier if you could just turn your head.

Or just a Car Wars-inspired drive-and-shoot game, but not a simplified actiony one like Vigilante 8. Give us all the customization bells and whistles - gun selection & mounting, engine, tires, the works.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I found an open source MW2 VM or something. Worth looking at I guess http://www.mech2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=313

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012

TomR posted:

I found an open source MW2 VM or something. Worth looking at I guess http://www.mech2.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=313

I thought this was just a front-end loader so you could install and launch any version of MW2 ?

Also, there is a small group still playing Interstate 76 every tuesday night interstate76.com

Eatpants fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 26, 2016

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That's interesting. I wouldn't remotely want to dive into reverse engineering an engine but I might be able to toss together some kinda little game using the assets. Like extracting the missions and recreating them is a bother but coming up with a sandbox shoot mechs arena with the sound/art/music could be doable.

Especially if the models are largely procedurally modeled as I already have tons of code for that. I could mash together some old prototypes and get somewhere.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

In other news, I keep seeing people talk about Alien Isolation. Everyone keeps saying it might happen but I'm not holding my breath. The game is a couple years old by now. If they made any VR game, it would probably be something new. In order to make it economically viable, they'd probably have to make a completely separate VR version of the game instead of patching it into the old game. That would most likely just piss everyone off. Unless they think they could get enough new purchases to justify it. Even making paid DLC could work.

I has always thought that if VR gets much more popular, we'll be seeing quite a few remakes of AAA titles. Apparently it's more complicated than mapping the display and controls to VR hardware (if you don't want to give everyone motion sickness, at least), but I'm sure someone will try it for their best sellers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Alien Isolation would in theory be easier than most games since it already had a hidden VR mode. The problem is it uses an old SDK and it would not be trivial to upgrade it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Seriously, for everyone talking about the mech games, go check out the demo of vox machine posted above, it basically has 100% perfect mech control, camera control, visuals, and feel. It was one of the most polished and exciting demos of the DK2 era, and i believe they updated the demo in feb to work with cv1 (so i assume revive would then work for vive folks).

I've been looking forward to it since then so its a bit sad if its abandoned, but anyone thinking of making a mech experience should check it out since it already solved any problems you can think of.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Thirding that Vox Machinae is going to be the bees knees for Mech fans, if their demo is any indication. And the demo was awesome.

Cojawfee posted:

There's Vox Machinae but the last post on the website was in February. The demo on the DK2 was pretty cool.

http://www.voxmachinae.com/index.shtml
They're very active on twitter and to a lesser extent Facebook. It's slowly coming together.
https://twitter.com/SpaceBulletCorp/status/770690793048637440
Acid rain :black101:
As you can see, they neatly solve the weight/bounce issue imo. The seat is on a gyroscopic balancer which I buy both lore-wise and experience-wise. The bouncing outside the seat gives it real weight, and I remember in the demo it freaking me out when doing a high jet jump as the realization sets in that you're in a Mech that weighs hundreds of tons and you're crashing down to earth.

https://twitter.com/SpaceBulletCorp
https://www.facebook.com/VoxMachinaeGame

Cojawfee posted:

I would think that anyone who can do a flight or driving sim should be ok with that. If anything, it would probably have to be an optional setting to appease people who get VR sick.

Yeah paid DLC would probably be best, and seems to become the norm for VR Redux games. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter did a paid DLC for their VR version. Gets new players to buy the full package and existing players can opt in for VR at a reduced cost compared to a full game.
As a full VR launch however they'd probably want to do quite a lot of work to make it acceptable. The 'demo' after all required a bit of hacking on the users side and was in no way recommended or 'meant' to be played for the public.

There's a few cutscenes where the camera is forcibly moved, small stuff like when you're moved into a cupboard and larger scenes like when the alien drops in for the first time. They'd probably have to have quite a lot of discussion and work on locomotion. While sliding works for some, it's a no-go for others and workarounds like teleportation could throw the balance of the gameplay out the window. Not to mention the ton of little bugs that were okay in a demo but unplayable if I had to pay for it. I still have PTSD flashbacks from that bug that made the angle of the world tilt :barf:

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Sep 26, 2016

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I tried the Vox Machine demo a long time ago and it was pretty good.

Going with the old MW2 graphics gives a lot of leeway for having all the assets look kind of crummy and they are such low poly you could have a million of them on screen and it would be okay. Procedural generation of mechs is probably not too bad either if their walk cycles are based on a sine wave. I'd probably do the cockpits like MW2 and a hud the way Elite Dangerous does, where everything is in 3D space as a kind of hologram. I think that would fit perfectly.

I have to admit I didn't look at the stuff I found on the mech2 forums at all, but I'm sure someone out there knows how a lot of the MW2 engine worked. Not that it matters if you want to make a new mech game that just looks like MW2 but in VR.

Totally doable though I think.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
VR Alien Isolation would be terrifying enough to get me to finish it.

Especially if I properly set up some 7.1 headphones over the Rift.

Some things are bad for you, but you do them anyway, like taxes, or letting other people have the last pancake.

VR Alien Isolation is one of these things.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Is Gang Beasts being on the Oculus store new? It was one of the main things when I looked at the home screen while loading up iRacing. I looked around on google and it looks like it was announced a while ago but this thread was made a couple days ago asking about Oculus keys. From that thread, it looks like the developer is trying to get steam owners access to the oculus builds. If that ends up working with the multiplayer, that would be awesome. Hopefully they add rift support to the steam version or send out Oculus keys. I'd rather not have to buy something on Oculus if it's already on steam.
Anyone played this? I love the store page description:
"Gang Beasts is a silly multiplayer party game with surly gelatinous characters, brutal mêlée fight sequences, and absurdly hazardous environments. Gasp with shock and delight at the spectacle of stupid pugnacious thugs punching, kicking, and throwing their foes into unspecified hazardous machinery, flaming incinerator pits, and ginormous industrial fans. Watch in horror and amusement as gangs of saggy beasts grab, push, pull, and shove their enemies from permanently suspended building scaffolds and commercial haulage trucks."

Zsinjeh posted:

Yeah paid DLC would probably be best, and seems to become the norm for VR Redux games. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter did a paid DLC for their VR version. Gets new players to buy the full package and existing players can opt in for VR at a reduced cost compared to a full game.
As a full VR launch however they'd probably want to do quite a lot of work to make it acceptable. The 'demo' after all required a bit of hacking on the users side and was in no way recommended or 'meant' to be played for the public.
I'm kind of thinking of getting Vanishing of Ethan Carter seeing as I never played it. I know it's supposed to be somewhat flawed but I like my adventure/story-driven games. Is this a terrible idea?

e: the Vox Machina demo page says it was only supported up to SDK 0.8, in other words it won't work on CV1 right?
e2: seems to work with the OVR wrapper though if you get a black screen on start you need to just hit spacebar

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 26, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've played the normal version of Gang Beasts, it's pretty great. It controls similar to Human Fall Flat if you've ever played that.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Bremen posted:

Vanishing Realms is great if you want to be the one actually exploring a dungeon and having swordfights with skeletons, instead of controlling a character doing it.
I love Vanishing Realms just because it is the first game that let me feel the scale of skeletons I normally just click to attack when playing on a monitor. It is also fun to block arrows with a shield while also meleeing another guy. Such a great time except for the "smash all the barrels and crates and collect the coins" game design. I don't mind smashing the boxes, heck I could have a whole game where I murdered the inhabitants of a warehouse, but the coins come out in random places and the can be hard to see due to the lighting. One might even spawn behind some other geometry or behind your field of view. Then you have to touch the coins with your hand and squeeze the button to collect them. It is needlessly tedious and really drags down the flow of the game as you have to teleport around in a circle to be able to grab all the coins.

If the developer could replace it with "squeeze the trigger and all coins within 2m are 'sucked' into your hand" that would take away the tedious part and it would be like a magic spell "vwoooomp (coin magnet)" and keep the pacing up. Smash smash smash VWOOMP. That is fun. Smash smash smash reach click reach click reach click move move reach click reach click move move reach click, that sucks balls.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

El Grillo posted:

I'm kind of thinking of getting Vanishing of Ethan Carter seeing as I never played it. I know it's supposed to be somewhat flawed but I like my adventure/story-driven games. Is this a terrible idea?
I bought it...but honestly haven't played more than 5-10 minutes. Took me a while to get used to the locomotion and I've since played other games that hooked me more and I haven't had the time to get back around to Ethan.

If you can handle the normal type of locomotion without getting motion sick it might be pretty decent for that adventure-itch, but look around on more in-depth reviews. I tried way too little to know, only compared it to Alien: Iso for the DLC approach.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

God I am glad I passed up the last 10 pages of Political BS mixing in with VR. Jeeze I wish Politics could stay out of Tech.

Anyway, super excited to give that Mech2VM thing a shot. Haven't played Mech2 or Mech2 Mercs in years due to the hard time it is getting them up and running on a modern system. And Interstate76 was one of the best games ever so to see it still alive is fantastic. Might have to jump online with that again too. :)

Also Demoed VR to more family last night, and actually got to try the latest version of SPT as well as Out of Ammo. Super fun in both. I like the changes SPT brought with the power ups and the different bots, and Out of Ammo is getting a bit more polished but I need a Co-Op buddy for some of the levels. Also the maps are just wave survival right? There is no attack pattern or anything to take out the spawn locations of the enemies that I am missing?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

White supremacy isn't politics hth

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

One is supported by White Supremacist for one reason or another. (Apparently White Supremacist can only support someone because they too have to be White Supremacist)

The other is a proven Anti-Semite and hates Gun Owners.

Apparently one is much worse than the other.

As long as they don't combine, then you have Literally Hitler.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No shut up. Palmer Luckey co-founded and sponsored an organization to disseminate white supremacist agitpop, full stop. It has nothing to do with whatever candidate he supports, he is a white supremacist and associates with white supremacists. That's the only thing that matters.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol if you actually think Trump isn't a white supremacist

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Anti-semitism is bad but how exactly is "hates gun owners" bad enough to even be mentioned in the same breath as white supremacists

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jesus gently caress shut up about politics.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Jesus gently caress shut up about politics.
Yeah exactly, the political bullshit really distracts from Oculus' tacit approval of Palmer Luckey being the vice president of an internet hate group.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
e: Whoops! Misread the previous post.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wish politics would stay out of tech

*vomits political garbage into the thread*

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Just have to say, my pre-existing tilt toward the Vive is reinforced by Palmer's assholery.

EdEddnEddy posted:

The other is a proven Anti-Semite and hates Gun Owners.
Who is this supposed to be?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

Who is this supposed to be?

Gaben. Knife supremacy 4 life.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

homeless snail posted:

Yeah exactly, the political bullshit really distracts from Oculus' tacit approval of Palmer Luckey being the vice president of an internet hate group.

In the real world, Oculus would be sued to hell and back if they fired Luckey for his anonymous, off-time political activity, because you cannot do that in California. (Also lol that we are calling dumb fuckin internet memes "agitprop hate speech," truly this is the worst goddamn election.)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

VideoGames posted:

Hello thread!

This is the VR thread. Please direct all talk involving Trump and the presidency to D&D for serious thoughts, or C-Spam for silly thoughts. This is not the appropriate place.

Thank you kindly,
VG

Seriously. The stuff involving Palmer is OK, but Trump is not. It's derailing the thread and belongs in a different forum.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sorry for posting a politic, have some hilarious 90s VR instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKkZEXGaApE

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

God I am glad I passed up the last 10 pages of Political BS mixing in with VR. Jeeze I wish Politics could stay out of Tech.

Self-fulfilling prophecy right here.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I wish Palmer Luckey would get out of Oculus and thus out of VR.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

bloodysabbath posted:

In the real world, Oculus would be sued to hell and back if they fired Luckey for his anonymous, off-time political activity, because you cannot do that in California. (Also lol that we are calling dumb fuckin internet memes "agitprop hate speech," truly this is the worst goddamn election.)

any election involving real flesh and blood Nazis is the worst election. It's really a shame California seems to have laws protecting a Nazi, but maybe he can be shamed into resigning instead.

Hahaha, who am I kidding, he's probably laughing comfortably in some echo chamber where he's being called a hero, saving his brothers and sisters from this white genocide by sponsoring breitbart hate speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I tried 3m USB and 3m HDMI extensions for my Rift and they didn't work :( Connection was unreliable on both fronts. Going to try 2m ones. Thank gently caress for easy Amazon refunds/returns.