Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A family full of navy vets means I got a hell of a lesson in boating safety and courtesy. And that a 3/4 oz spinner bait will make a dent in an rear end in a top hat on a jet skis skull if they ride like cockbags near you.

And now for a public service announcement, good quality heat shrinking, soldering butt connectors are amazing to use, holy gently caress. So easy to get good crimps that then seal well. $5 for a box of 10, but worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You can probably get them for cheaper on digikey/mouser, at least in bulk. I used to not trust them but IIRC they are listed in NASA 8739.4 as an acceptable splice... good enough for the space shuttle is good enough for me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

You can probably get them for cheaper on digikey/mouser, at least in bulk. I used to not trust them but IIRC they are listed in NASA 8739.4 as an acceptable splice... good enough for the space shuttle is good enough for me.

I'm not sure that's a great reference point given that the shuttles have a 40% catastrophic failure rate. :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Locator posted:

I'm not sure that's a great reference point given that the shuttles have a 40% catastrophic failure rate. :v:
Re-entry burn, harsh.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

leica posted:

Jose Fernandez found dead after his boat hit a jetty at full speed at 3am in the morning, Jesus Christ.

So many people with boats/PWC's in FL and half of them don't know what the gently caress they're doing.

boat_owners.txt

We've stopped going to Lake LBJ on holidays since the number of suicidial idiots in dad's boat has quintupled in the last 5 years

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 25, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

My favorite cat and best friend, Taco, is acting really ill. I hope he pulls through, I don't want to lose another cool rear end catte :-(

e: he's looking the same way Crom did when he died of FIP. I feel hollow inside. Taco is my son. I can tell he feels awful, but he still manages a little purr. Thanks for the last six years Taco, you helped me through so much and cuddled with me every night.

I'm sorry man. I hope Taco gets better and gets back to knocking poo poo off counters in a sunbeam while demanding food and pets like all cats do.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elmnt80 posted:

A family full of navy vets means I got a hell of a lesson in boating safety and courtesy. And that a 3/4 oz spinner bait will make a dent in an rear end in a top hat on a jet skis skull if they ride like cockbags near you.

And now for a public service announcement, good quality heat shrinking, soldering butt connectors are amazing to use, holy gently caress. So easy to get good crimps that then seal well. $5 for a box of 10, but worth it.

I repeat myself a lot, but: https://www.genuinedealz.com usually under $5/10-pack, and free shipping. Can't beat that pricing with a stick. Mouser and Digikey want $.75 each, even in quantity. Combined with a decent crimper and an adjustable heat gun, there's nothing better for boat/auto wiring.

go3 posted:

boat_owners.txt

We've stopped going to Lake LBJ on holidays since the number of suicidial idiots in dad's boat has quintupled in the last 5 years

At least you have to pass some sort of a basic competency test to get a driver's license. Boating? gently caress, hop on in! The states that do licensing only require a written test, no demonstration of an IQ greater than an eggplant.

BloodBag posted:

My favorite cat and best friend, Taco, is acting really ill. I hope he pulls through, I don't want to lose another cool rear end catte :-(

e: he's looking the same way Crom did when he died of FIP. I feel hollow inside. Taco is my son. I can tell he feels awful, but he still manages a little purr. Thanks for the last six years Taco, you helped me through so much and cuddled with me every night.

:glomp: I'll send good thoughts your kitty's way. Gonna go hug my two little bastards now.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 25, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

sharkytm posted:

At least you have to pass some sort of a basic competency test to get a driver's license. Boating? gently caress, hop on in! The states that do licensing only require a written test, no demonstration of an IQ greater than an eggplant.

I had to pass written and practical tests administered by the CG to rent a boat from base in Guam. That poo poo was hard, but worth it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

If you see a rental sailboat (larger than a dingy), the chances are extremely high that the renter had to pass some fairly rigorous sailing & rules tests prior to being allowed to rent. So it's kind of odd/backwards, that the people who rent sailboats probably know more about the rules and boat handling than most of the dudes who own their own powerboat.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Holy poo poo it's exactly like a robot learning to walk.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
My dog skinnys lymph nodes are all swollen to poo poo, the vet reckons it might be lymphoma. He's just sleeping all the time and hardly responsive to anything, just mopes around doesn't even want to follow the cats at the moment. We're just keeping him company and waiting on the test results at the moment. Go pat an animal people, they need it and so do we.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bend posted:

My dog skinnys lymph nodes are all swollen to poo poo, the vet reckons it might be lymphoma. He's just sleeping all the time and hardly responsive to anything, just mopes around doesn't even want to follow the cats at the moment. We're just keeping him company and waiting on the test results at the moment. Go pat an animal people, they need it and so do we.

I'm squeezing a cat as I type this poorly with one hand.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

bend posted:

I hate this year. I dunno if Taco will make it through the night, but I'm taking him to the vet first thing in the morning. Poor fella. Can't even purr anymore . I miss him on my desk all cuddly while I'm shitposting.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rip Arnold palmer

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Randomness: wtf. Michelob Ultra is advertising 95 calories, 26 grams of carbs, 0.6g protein, and 0.0 fat. So where the gently caress do the calories come from?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Randomness: wtf. Michelob Ultra is advertising 95 calories, 26 grams of carbs, 0.6g protein, and 0.0 fat. So where the gently caress do the calories come from?

Alcohol. Pure ethanol is 240 calories per 1.5oz.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 26, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I think I need to make another bad decision. How would a land rover discovery fare for tooling around BLM land?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Geirskogul posted:

Alcohol. Pure ethanol is 240 calories per 1.5oz.
Ah. I thought alchol was itself covered as a carb. That makes sense, then.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The carbs come from the beer, then the calories come from the beer and the alcohol

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Ah. I thought alchol was itself covered as a carb. That makes sense, then.

Nope that's exactly why it's so many calories. I don't think they include the alcohol calories in the nutrition label

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ilkhan posted:

This is more thought than I'd ever want to put into Michelob Ultra

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

keykey posted:

I think I need to make another bad decision. How would a land rover discovery fare for tooling around BLM land?

And thanks to the Internet I just wondered why you wanted to run over protesters.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I'm squeezing a cat as I type this poorly with one hand.

try not to squeeze too hard, the cat won't appreciate it.

BloodBag posted:

I hate this year. I dunno if Taco will make it through the night, but I'm taking him to the vet first thing in the morning. Poor fella. Can't even purr anymore . I miss him on my desk all cuddly while I'm shitposting.
Hope the little bugger makes it through, give him a pat for me. Skinny's perked up a bit, I gave him half a burger for lunch and he's following me around grumbling for more now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

You know why it's compared to sex on a canoe right?

Because it's loving close to water.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

nm posted:

I love to (or at least, "do") read the fine print on commercials. Its all the stuff they have to tell you, but don't want to. It had the breakdown on an ad and the math didn't add up to me. Thus the question.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Awesome! Came home to an 85 degree apartment and a tripped breaker for the ac.

I'm not sure which is more impressive... a ~5-10 year old ac taking a poo poo, or an early 80s FPE Stab-Lok breaker actually tripping. I reset the breaker, went outside, and stood next to the ac and kicked it on via Nest (yay internet thermostats), and holy poo poo that thing makes a horrific racket for a few seconds (a bit like a 4.0 that's thrown 2 or 3 rods), followed by a loud "clunk", a nice 60 hz buzz, then a tripped breaker.

At least it's a nice enough night that I can leave the windows open.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Bachelor party was this weekend. My friend's pops has a house near the lake and allowed us free reign of the place and let us use his boat and smoke his weed obviously not while driving the boat though.

Boat is an early 80s Webbcraft 24 foot hull. Mercruiser 260 engine. Got her up to a GPS indicated 50 mph. Not sure she'd go too much faster. Couldn't have asked for better weather, either. Speed on water is loving awesome. I kind of want a boat not but fortunately don't have enough money to make those kind of bad decisions with yet.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 26, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ilkhan posted:

I love to (or at least, "do") read the fine print on commercials. Its all the stuff they have to tell you, but don't want to. It had the breakdown on an ad and the math didn't add up to me. Thus the question.

As long as you're not drinking the stuff.

On another note, the fact that I can print from my galaxy s5 to my hp laserjet 1300 from 2002 with an hp print server from 2000 (parallel port, bitches) without any hitches at all amazes me.

bend
Dec 31, 2012
news just came in. it is lymphoma, 1-3 months left or we might get him a year with a treatment we cant afford. I'm going to get drunk and feed him treats

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bend posted:

news just came in. it is lymphoma, 1-3 months left or we might get him a year with a treatment we cant afford. I'm going to get drunk and feed him treats

:glomp:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

bend posted:

:smith: :smith: :smith:

Treat that doggo well. Gonna give our cats some good pets here in a bit.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

bend posted:

:smith:

:smithicide: goodnight, Barra

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I was about to post that. RIP the Aussie straight six

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

drat, condolences bend.

Fingers crossed for taco, Bloodbag.

I was taking a break from shooting on Friday when one of the guys that started a month ago came over for a chat. He ended up telling me his life story, ending with why he took up archery at 48. He has about 6 months to live and A/ it's on his bucket list B/ it's about the only thing he can afford to do on his bucket list.

Apparently people just want to tell me things, I must have the look of a good listener.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

I'm not sure which is more impressive... a ~5-10 year old ac taking a poo poo, or an early 80s FPE Stab-Lok breaker actually tripping. I reset the breaker, went outside, and stood next to the ac and kicked it on via Nest (yay internet thermostats), and holy poo poo that thing makes a horrific racket for a few seconds (a bit like a 4.0 that's thrown 2 or 3 rods), followed by a loud "clunk", a nice 60 hz buzz, then a tripped breaker.

The STR anti-technology field strikes again! I'm pretty sure you've gone through something like 5 phones, 2 cars, more computer equipment than I can remember, and at least 5 major appliances? (dishwasher, oven, ice maker, air conditioner, there was more I'm sure) Just since I started noticing the STR anti-tech effect a couple years ago. Meanwhile I've yet to have a major appliance kick the bucket, and all my phones last me 2+ years, and I've never had a hard drive fail... so what I'm saying is we must never meet, lest our pro-tech and anti-tech fields interact and send humanity back to the dark ages.

In other news, the Ranger got 24 mpg as of my fillup this morning, and that was mostly city driving too. I got 20 mpg last time but I've tried to keep it under 4k RPM on this last tank and it's definitely helped the mileage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

keykey posted:

Which generation?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

From your description it sounds like a bad cap. Pretty common a/c failure and quick and easy to fix.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:stonk:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/man-suffers-serious-burns-after-plunge-into-hot-tar-1.3088934

quote:

TORONTO -- A 37-year-old man is in life-threatening condition after being encased in hot tar that solidified during an industrial accident in Toronto on Monday morning.

Rescuers worked for more than a hour to free the man after the incident, which occurred around 7:30 a.m., according to Toronto Fire platoon chief Dave Denysek.

He says the man was in a truck when liquid tar spilled from a reservoir in the back of the vehicle, trapping the man.

"When (the tar) came out of the reservoir it went all around and when tar is exposed to the air, it hardened very quickly," Denysek told reporters at the scene.

He said firefighters had to slice away part of the truck before slowly cutting hardened tar in small pieces away from the man's body.

"The victim suffered serious burns to his head and arms," said Toronto Paramedic Services Dep. Commander Evert Steenge.

He said the man was rushed to the burn unit of a local trauma centre.

Police said the man was breathing and conscious throughout the ordeal

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

And thanks to the Internet I just wondered why you wanted to run over protesters.

Did a quick Google search and went "ooOOOoooooh." Apparently my cocoon is sealed off from hijacking the letters. I suppose the Bureau of Land Management would then be the OG-BLM?

InitialDave posted:

Which generation?

I have no idea, please educate me. I was looking at a mid-late 90's model with a manual. Although something tells me those are fools gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

keykey posted:

I have no idea, please educate me. I was looking at a mid-late 90's model with a manual. Although something tells me those are fools gold.
That would be either a later "300" series 1 (the generation that goes with the 300TDi, though I assume yours would be a V8), which takes you up to 1998, or a series 2 that would have a TD5 if diesel (but again, I would expect yours to be a V8). They're very similar on a basic level.

S1 Discos are very much a Range Rover classic underneath, with the good and bad that comes with that. The chassis can rust a bit, the bodies rust a lot. S2 ones share more components with the later P38 Range Rover, are less prone to rust, and could be had with stuff like ACE (Active Cornering Enhancement - hydraulic rams on the anti-roll bars push back against body roll) and the Hill Descent Control from the Freelander. They also rust less, and the V8 is nominally "better" - the S1's 3.9 and the S2's 4.0 are actually identical capacity, the difference is things like bigger main bearings and cross-bolted mains. You can get a 4.6 as well.

Both manuals are the 5-speed R380, transfer cases are the permanent 4WD LT230.

People will tell you that they removed the centre diff lock in the S2, which is sort of true - they did, but for the first few years it was still physically there in the transfer case, they just deleted the linkage, and you can fit one if you wish.

They are pretty drat effective off-road, and despite not being the last word in reliability (especially for niggly little poo poo), have the basics right, such as a proper full box-section chassis rather than C-channel, and fully floating axles.

The main advantage to a Disco S1 here in the UK is that they share parts with the other coil-sprung stuff, so spares and mods are piss cheap, which is less of the case in the US. You really need someone from that side of the pond to comment on "ownership experience" stuff.

• Locked thread